[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diablo, Grim Dawn, Borderlands, etc... Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: loot.jpg (431KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
loot.jpg
431KB, 1920x1080px
Can I just ask some of you folk who play games like Grim Dawn, Diablo, Borderlands, or loot games in general something over and over again something?

Why?

I don't really quite understand why people play a game like Diablo 2 50 times over and over again just to get better stats. I mean I like Diablo 2, but I wouldn't spend 5000 hours playing the single player over and over again just to get better gear. I would get bored. But apparently that's the defacto standard for a lot of people who play these games.

How do you guys do it? How do you not get bored as fuck of these games after your second playthrough in a row to get better gear? It doesn't make much sense to me. Is it just not explainable outside of "it's just a matter of tastes"?
>>
It's called the loot treadmill.
>>
I can't speak for Borderlands, but I generally enjoy Isometric ARPG's for a variety of reasons. Something like PoE is due to build variety, robust economy, and a ton of mechanical knowledge that you can accumulate over 100's of hours. D3 is fun because it's an easily rewarding skinner's box that you can tweak how hard you want to be and has constant progression. GD, TQ, TL, VH are all more RPG then dungeon crawling. WIth mods TL can be pertty seriously rewarding, but it's always pretty overdesigned and cumbersome.
>>
>>385965835
>How do you guys do it?
same as you when you play the trash you like, you just enjoy it because
>>
The fun comes from seeing your build come together and from endgame stuff going from dangerous to easy. Playing through the levelling content isn't much fun and you tend to try and just get it done as fast as possible.

If playing through the same levelling content three times is a dealbreaker then Path of Exile is getting rid of it by extending the story to ten acts instead of doing three acts three times in like three days.
>>
>>385965835
I enjoyed isometric arpgs to try out builds, having a choice of different spells to use and find out items that make it stronger and stronger, and then doing it all over again with different choices to see if it's better. Then talking about other people about your experience and how they play the game.

Like I played D2 for years, then someone invited me to a lan, and everyone was pretty bad, but did know some things that I didn't, and the host of the LAN played hardcore, before that LAN I never had considered playing hardcore. During a break the host was playing one of her characters with hundreds of hours invested, keyboard battery died and he couldn't exit the game before getting raped by some demons, he literally cried for 30 minutes and almost broke the keyboard.

This new iterations of the genre have been very boring to me because everything has been figured out, the game punishes you pretty bad if you're not playing a meta build, and no matter what you do it feels like someone already played it. It's fun to play with friends and trade loot I guess, I'm just a bit sad that there's no end to the grind, you can get a near perfect character but there really isn't any content challenging enough to need a demigod character to clear, unless I been away long enough that someone has figure out a way to make ultra hard content only playable by turbo autists.

And no stupid hard maps in PoE don't count, those are just dumb and randomized.
>>
>>385965835
Same level as gambling dude. I just love getting higher numbers.
>>
File: 1495916698801.png (1KB, 228x186px) Image search: [Google]
1495916698801.png
1KB, 228x186px
>>385965835
i took a screenshot at that spot too
>>
>>385965835
>not listing the obvious and objectively king of arpgs, PoE

Thinly veiled diablofag thread
>>
>>385965835
see
>>385966783
This.

There are people with thousands of hours in dark souls and in dating sims. I wouldnt be surprised if people played something actually fun for the same amount
>>
gambling aspect, power creep, the action, trying different builds.

but i can only play one RNG game at a time. i was playing Grim Dawn, then a friend got me back into WoW, so now i can only play WoW, in terms of MMO/ARPG.
i probably won't launch Grim Dawn again until the expansion comes out.
>>
>>385965835
Going full autis on build theory.
Also Grim Dawn, D1/D2, and PoE have the dark type of setting I enjoy.
>>
I don't like the loot grind aspect, but I like the varied ways you can play and the quick, satisfying gameplay they often have.
>>
why haven't they made a castlevania isometric arpg? it would be the second coming of sotn.
>>
50 times over ~20 years, for Diablo/2, isn't that bad. and you repeat play them because they are good games to replay, stuff like ladder resets and races lend themselves to picking them back up again for a period.

i don't really understand the question. why do people play games they like? you seem to make some assumption that there's a guy who has played nothing but Diablo every day for all these years, and that isn't ever really the case. yeah, that guy has gone back to Diablo again and again, but its probably for resets and season updates and such.
>>
>>385965835
Sometimes I just want to play something to keep my hands busy while I chill out and think about things. Or listen to podcasts or music

I listen to a lot of podcasts and music
>>
>>385965835

What fucking game do YOU play then? I guarantee it "gets boring" too. Dumbass

shut the fuck up
>>
>>385968419
Jesus dude, settle down.
I'm just asking how does playing the Single Player over and over again not get tiresome? Like I played Borderlands 2 through 3 times on the increased difficulties, and by the time I got around to trying my fourth, the moment I heard Clap Trap's opening lines of dialogue I just groaned inwardly. It got boring and tiresome. I'm just wondering how people can bear that type of stuff.
>>
>>385968774
>I played Borderlands 2
>3 times

you're the one with a problem here.
>>
>>385968419
>>385969057
Gonna agree with, OP. No reason to get this butthurt.
I'm a diehard Diablo/ARPG fan and I would not ever get this offended over a fucking question. lol
>>
File: Logo Small.jpg (227KB, 1024x325px) Image search: [Google]
Logo Small.jpg
227KB, 1024x325px
Who /grimdawn/ here?
>>
>play a hack and slash
>everyone loves it
>I'm bored stitches
>think it must be my fault
>try another hack and slash
>bored stitches
>try another hack and slash
>no change
It's pretty weird because I loved Champions of Norrath when I was younger but I just can't get into anything even remotely similar now.
>>
>>385969210

not sure if misquote but he played Borderlands 2 and didn't immediately vomit and uninstall.

???
>>
>>385969241
Oh boy more things to proc off basic attacks.
>>
>>385969613
So what?

People didnt vomit and uninstall weebshit why would borderlands 2 be an exclusion ? You just have anger issues. Seek proffesional help
>>
>>385969727
>How dare they add more content and depth!
>>
>>385966973
>Playing through the levelling content isn't much fun and you tend to try and just get it done as fast as possible.
This is a dealbreaker for me, even in Path of Exile. It feels like needless busywork that's just there to goad you into either suicide or checking out the mtx shop (stash tabs in PoE don't do much for leveling, but there might be shit in other games that would). I'd prefer the entire game to be as enjoyable and challenging as it is in endgame, instead of snoozing through a dozen hours or so of grinding before getting thrown into the hell of super duper epic level content where you die in -1 hits thanks to not speccing properly, but maybe it really is like that and the end-game is just as shit as the beginning.

Diablo-likes often have some great grafix, music, and fairly satisfying effects and combat, but it gets grating once you realize it's just a treadmill instead of feeling like you're really advancing your character's ability to kill shit and survive.
Maybe it's also a case of me having really bad luck, outside a Tabula Rasa in PoE I don't think I've ever found a rare/unique item that was useful or opened up new options that would be superior to what I was already doing.
>>
>>385965835
Diablo 2 is just plain fun, the loot treadmill is not that important.
>>
ARPG's are perfect to play after cleaning the apartment or working outside.
>>
I agree op.
I don't like working out because what's the point? Yeah sure I'll get stronger but I already did it once
I have better things to do then do what I already did over again.
>>
File: 4.jpg (10KB, 265x113px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
10KB, 265x113px
>throw on a podcast
>make a build
>kill a million things

comfy
>>
>>385965835
What's so difficult to understand about not everyone liking or disliking the save things as you?

>>385971024
Pretty much this.

>>385971445
I love ARPGs but I just can't get into Grim Dawn. It's just not fun to me in the same way PoE and Diablo are.
>>
>>385970937
>Maybe it's also a case of me having really bad luck
No, you're just playing the wrong game. PoE is "balanced" around the multiplayer and the stupid "muh barter economy" so good luck finding good items without spending an ungodly amount of time. It's not like other ARPGs where you can eventually own all the best items, because then people would get bored of the game because they have nothing to do. Combine that with their leagues which incentivize starting over all the time and you're guaranteed to get nowhere. You do sound like you don't like the gameplay in the first place though.
>>
>podcast people in this thread

The corruption of /co/ has spread
>>
>>385971929
the /pol/ and reddit boogeymen werent enough? Now you come up with /co/ ?
>>
>>385972610
All I ever hear about on /co/ is podcasts. Who's podcasting who, who's making podcasts.

There are /co/mrades that will literally not respond to you unless you communicate with them through podcast, it's maddening
>>
>>385973086
m8 its just a new way to refer to a talk show

and i only watch like 2 regularly
>>
>>385973086
>board on 4chan is shit
well thats new..
>>
>>385965835
It's cheaper than actual gambling and games that promote microtransactions under disguise that are just gambling.
>>
Do you people seriously game while listening to podcasts? Which podcasts?
>>
>>385965835
Multi-player, anybody would be bored after 5000 hours of single player.
>>
File: 1.png (142KB, 491x163px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
142KB, 491x163px
>>385971445
I know that feel. I still need to get Grim Dawn though.
>>
>>385965835
Same reason people play shooters or whatever the fuck else really.
>>
>>385965835
fun
fən
noun
enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.
"the children were having fun in the play area"
synonyms: enjoyment, entertainment, amusement, pleasure; More
adjectiveinformal
amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable.
"it was a fun evening"
synonyms: enjoyable, entertaining, amusing, diverting, pleasurable, pleasing, agreeable, interesting
"a fun evening"
>>
>>385974534
OP is retarded but you are trying to hard.
Dont try.
This board is beyond salvation and stupidity can only get higher
>>
>>385969843
Does it get more reddit than this?
>>
File: 1483955927153.jpg (35KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
1483955927153.jpg
35KB, 570x570px
Honestly any game with good loot progression is enough to hook me. I love getting good loot, especially loot that I specifically need. But it also depends on the game. Grim Dawn feels a little clunky to me, felt the same about Titan Quest, though I still somewhat like them. PoE is my favorite right now and I'm excited for Friday, while Borderlands I don't care for at all. But the experience is obviously about grinding, its about grinding out look and finding a build that you enjoy, I don't get bored because I like coming up with a build and seeing it come together, it's a satisfying thing.
>>
>>385969613
Fuck off with your vidya virtue signaling
What super hardcore for mature gamers hardcore game do you play, fuccboi?
What masterpieces do you play that give you the right to freak the fuck out over someone's SUBJECTIVE reasoning? I hate every piece of shit like you on this board. Other people here wanna have fun and talk about vidya but schadenfreude edgy fucks like you come here to shit on what other people like without adding ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE to the dialog or even having 1 (one) god damn argument. Get the fuck off my board.
>>
>>385975032
>Does it get more reddit than this?
unironically this is what actual redditors post. Now fuck off back to your original circlejerk
>>
>>385965835
What do you like OP? Is there a game or genre you put a lot of time into and actually enjoy?
>>
>>385965835
Because i have fun playing videogames which is something you don't know anything about.
>>
It's not like all I play is Diablo 3

it;s cool
>>
File: sam thinking.gif (3MB, 280x154px) Image search: [Google]
sam thinking.gif
3MB, 280x154px
>>385965835
Same reason people can spend thousands of hours in MMOs doing the same old bullshit over and over. They have a high tolerance for tedium, don't really care about game mechanics, and prefer comfort over genuine engagement. Basically they have incurably shit taste.

Instead of
>Why?
you should be saying
>I'm glad I'm not like them.
>>
Sometimes you need a game to play while watching stuff.
>>
>>385965835
DEM VIDEO GAME NUMBERS GOIN UP
>>
Sometimes you need a game to play while jacking off
>>
>>385966263
>robust economy
>>
I love minmaxing and this games cater to that exactly. Nothing feels better than coming up with some busted build like 100% crit chance or exploiting broken combinations of weapons/abilities/etc.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.