[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-imposed vidya challenge runs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: 1461020887249.png (26KB, 357x233px) Image search: [Google]
1461020887249.png
26KB, 357x233px
Things like pic related, no-alerts in stealth games, buster only runs, etc. Stuff that games don't necessitate, but facilitate. They're a great way to make old favorites fresh again.

What kinds have you come up with and what are your favorites?
>>
>>385962164
I usually like pacifist runs if its possible. Most of the Metal Gear Solid games allow you to pacify everyone including bosses.
>>
>>385962164
I've done pacifist + no alert -runs in all mgs -games except 5.

Thinking about starting a Vaan only run in FF12:TZA after I've finished with my first playthrough.
>>
Dont let my marine partners die in Halo
>>
NO PIKMIN LEFT BEHIND
>>
>>385962864
Sometimes I try to do this but it's futile. You just can't save them all.
>>
>>385962164
I've done SL1 runs for all souls games except bloodborne. I usually also put additional rules on top of that to prevent cheesing like no magic, no parrying, no shields, all bosses, etc.
I had thoughtup a neat ruleset for a fresh-start DLC challenge in dark souls II but I haven't done it yet.
>>
>>385962164
RE4 clean file knife-only pro run.

Actually impossible to do legit, since some parts require shooting a chain and stuff, but it's fun to do all combat sections knifing and suplexing.
>>
Do randomizer hacks count? I love that shit. The more unplayably stupid they make the game, the better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AFoKlLO8I
>>
>>385962864
me and my brother would replay Halo:CE on harder and harder difficulties doing this

eventually, when we hit legendary, we'd could the marines right before each checkpoint (because we had them all memorized because we beat the entirety of the campaign multiple times before) and see how many we let die, but there's a certain point (right around guiltyspark 343) where that game can't continue any longer

we tried damn hard too, and succeeded sometimes
>>
>>385962164
>implying 99% of /v/ doesn't just quickload when they're caught in stealth vidya regardless
>>
File: 1493241792611.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1493241792611.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
GTA IV: autismo edition
>hud off
>radar off, use GPS voice for directions
>free aim
>simple reticle
>walk instead of sprinting everywhere
>limit yourself to a realistic amount of weapons and ammo (e.g. only a knife and a pistol with two spare mags)
>hang out with friends often, when appropriate
>eat and sleep regularly
>no skipping cab or subway rides
>lie low after big missions (Three Leaf Clover, Roman's Sorrow, etc.)
>try to hold onto one car; when stealing cars, do so from carlots late at night, instead of just running into the middle of the street and jacking someone
>dump hot cars by driving them into the ocean, leaving them parked at hydrants, the projects at night, airport parking, etc.
>follow all traffic rules unless in a chase, including no right turn on red (this is the hardest fucking thing)
I'm over 120 hours into my playthrough with seven deaths and a few mission retries. I'm only halfway done but I'm having a blast; last night I played for nine hours and only did one mission. It requires a lot of effort on your part but if you put in the work it's really immersive and fun as fuck. However, I strongly recommend being a depressed NEET loser with a big imagination and no friends, as well as drugs.
>>
>>385965649
I'd put this on the same level as the guy who roleplayed as Fargoth in Morrowind, except it's actually believable.
>>
>>385962164
I roll a dice to decide what I use or do. Makes repeat plays more interesting
>>
>>385962164
>>385965997

Play an elder scrolls game without fast-travel
Hard Mode: No Mark-Recall-Interventions if you play Morrowind
I find walking around in Oblivion quite fun sometimes considering the scenery and the like while in Morrowind on early levels is tedious as fuck because you go about the speed of a scrib and drives me insane.
>>
Buster-only in megaman is great.
All megaman games.
https://youtu.be/n8EsqICW_KM
>>
>>385965649
>no right turn on red
It's no left turn on red.
>>
Pacifist ghosting made my first playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution a save-scumming game of All you need is Kill.
>>
FFIX level 1 run
Pokemon single type challenge
Dark Souls no level up/no equipment upgrading
>>
>>385962164
Impossible in some points, but 'Ultimate Ghost' for Deus Ex.

Like a typical stealthy non-lethal, but huge restrictions on what you can do with stealth:

>absolutely no alerting/harming enemies, not even making them suspicious
>no destruction that would arouse suspicion in real life e.g. broken doors, boxes or windows
>no electronic security can even become suspicious, not even cameras to flashing mode
>no detectable (in real life) security intrusions such as hacking, lockpicking and overriding, you must use logins and passwords

This is impossible for Agent Navarre and when you destroy the freighter, since an alarm technically goes off when it starts to sink, and there are several gameplay parts which are probably impossible, but I've never tried it. Anyone wanna have a go?
>>
File: SKULLS.png (358KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
SKULLS.png
358KB, 660x371px
>>385962164
Halo LASO is fun.
>>
>>385966802
>Dark Souls no level up
Fun as fuck
>no equipment upgrading
Boring as fuck

Testing yourself with a weapon that you'd usually not use is cool, and not having any health really forces you to pay attention to attack patterns and telegraphs, but doing piss poor damage just makes the game into a string of 40+ minute slogfests.
>>
>>385965997
Fuck me, is it really that bad? It's genuinely fun.

>>385966613
New York City prohibits right turn on red, so it stands to reason the same rule applies.
>>
>>385967152
There's setting up interesting restrictions to make gameplay interesting, and then there's just ruining the game for yourself
>>
>>385967152
Just to add, the point of this challenge is that there must be no evidence of your involvement at all, if someone were to review the security footage, check the systems, ask all the guards and perform an extensive inspection of the base they would not find anything.

Based on this, I would probably even remove logging in to computers from what is allowed.
>>
File: 1408869114049.png (1MB, 1051x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1408869114049.png
1MB, 1051x1080px
>Breath of the Wild
>Master mode
>No fast travel
>Pro hud
>No eating during combat
>All 120 shrines as well as the sword trials
>>
>>385962164
Nuzlocke, but I can't use healing items.
>>
Bethesda game hardcore mode: When the game crashes your character dies permanently.
>>
File: lost.jpg (20KB, 403x395px) Image search: [Google]
lost.jpg
20KB, 403x395px
>>385967705
>>
>>385967582
I usually do normal Nuzlocke rules except I can only heal/restore PP using items. No Pokecenters
>>
I played titan quest using only white or gray items. It wasn't too hard because any build eventually becomes overpowered.
>>
>>385967705
>How did he die?
>Act of the Nine Divines
>>
>>385967152
That sounds like it would be fun for like 10 minutes, and then just be tedious
>>
File: Jim the Knight.jpg (183KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Jim the Knight.jpg
183KB, 400x600px
>>385962164
>>
>>385967875
there's a rumor there are people who nuzlocke without using the Set mode rule
>>
Deus Ex OSP

Basically you empty your inventory before any helicopter ride and work with whatever you find. Easy to stack other limitations like no alerts on top.
>>
>>385967543
No fast travel is less actual difficulty and more tedium. It's more a formal restriction from traveling too far to farm ingredients.

A more effective substitute might as well be something like, say, only using dishes and the like that came from the region in which you're currently participating. That way you get the essence of refusing to travel on a whim or to overprep for shit without making, say, going from doing one shrine quest to the next unnecessarily boring by adding 15 minutes of walking through the wilderness.
>>
File: ChallengesStalker.jpg (1MB, 2473x2168px) Image search: [Google]
ChallengesStalker.jpg
1MB, 2473x2168px
Stalker challenges.
>>
>>385968475
Set mode is fair because it adds a risk to switching.

>>385967582
Fair but promotes overleveling. Most of the situations that facilitate healing are those where you already had a winning pace anyway.

>>385967875
Boring bullshit. HMs will do the job for the PP but between unable to heal without money and the need for the move deleter and the like you're just in for a boring slog.
>>
File: 1481582935267.png (45KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1481582935267.png
45KB, 500x461px
>>385965649
I try to do this, or some version of it in all rpg's. I don't get why people refuse to play the role in role play games. I even write back stories for my characters in my head and give them personality quirks and shit. its just fun mind games.

I wonder if /v reads books or if you people just flip to the last page and declare victory.
>>
>>385962164
No items in JRPGs during battle unless required. I feel like using an item when the enemies can't felt odd, especially when you're in an arena type battle.
>>
>>385969226
>Fair but promotes overleveling
Literally only in the case of the Elite Four, where I usually make an exception, because fuck that. In any other case, there is nothing stopping you from going to a pokemon center.
>>
>>385969226
>Fair but promotes overleveling. Most of the situations that facilitate healing are those where you already had a winning pace anyway.
there are some people, including youtubers, that try to get out of a losing situation by pp stalling a dangerous move with healing items
>>
>>385969226
Yeah but otherwise within a fight you either have a pokemon or several so dominant that you never need to heal or they're hitting hard enough that healing isn't feasible.

>>385969620
That's a very fine line,. Personally I think it adds a lot of tedium for how little difficulty it offers, unless level limits are another restriction so another couple of levels aren't a viable alternative to sidestep the difficulty.
>>
>>385966802
>FF9 level 1 run
Literally how
>>
File: Fo3 hardcore style.jpg (123KB, 806x945px) Image search: [Google]
Fo3 hardcore style.jpg
123KB, 806x945px
>>385965997
What about this?
>>
File: 3.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>385969246
>I wonder if /v reads books or if you people just flip to the last page and declare victory.

I'm actually really anxious and want to be done asao and get to another book/game/series/movie. Worst part is when I want to consume "Media 3" and I have to go autistically through Media 1 and 2 first.

Wish I could enjoy things more but I feel happier saying "I've gone through it" than actually going through it.

Help me /v/.
>>
>>385969735
A limit I usually use is no healing items during battle
>>
New Vegas: Realism edition
>No HUD aside from compass, quest arrow is removed
>No VATS
>Guns do realistic damage
>Walking only, can only run a certain distance based on your endurance
>Realistic carry limit, limits you to one or two guns and some ammo, based on strength
>Can't just pick up a weapon and start shooting, need to find the proper NPC to receive proper weapon training
>No perks
>Untreated gunshot wounds can be fatal
>Need to eat properly, including proteins, vitamins etc.
>No fast traveling
>Longer day/nightcycle
>Realistic needs
>Have to find an un-owned bed or a bed owned by me to sleep every night for at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night
>Nights are dark enough so you can't see without thermals either way
>Toxin/venoms cannot simply be cured by anti-venom, you may need to rest for days or you may die if you contact the wrong type of venom or administer the specific anti-venom type too late
>Radiation cannot be cured, meaning you need to find proper protection first, it will dissipate extremely slowly

These are just some features of the mod.
>>
>>385970760
You can just speed read.

Its an actual technique. Look at how many pages there are in the chapter, read from left to right in an "S" like fashion, pick out unimportant paragraphs and read them first, it's not hard.
>>
>>385971091
Please tell me people don't do this for anything other than textbooks. Please tell me people don't actually "speed-read" prose.
>>
I like health limitations. Three heart runs in Zelda, no points into VIT in Souls games, that sort of stuff. They make you look at certain parts of a game differently.
>>
I've been trying to go SL1 SM30k in dark souls 2: SotFS, and its been busting my fucking balls, trying to figure out where I should go, what I should try farm, and what I should spend my meager amount of souls on.

I spent two hours trying to safely get my souls after dying in iron keep, and then died to stupid shit in the shrouded forest because the AI controlled PCs blatantly pull shit that's impossible for human players.
>>
>>385962164
I'm genuinely autistic about leaving the least amount of permanent change in games, so I avoid looting static spawns and make minimum impact on the terrain.
>>
>>385967582
I allow myself to heal if the opponent does. Otherwise it invalidates any kind of whittling-down strategy.
>>
>>385975696
So do you get distressed whenever a game has you leaving permanent footprints?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.