[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've merged Pokemon and Metroid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: MonsterSanctuary.png (69KB, 958x536px) Image search: [Google]
MonsterSanctuary.png
69KB, 958x536px
Hey /v/, i'm developing a game that is kind of a mix of Pokemon and Metroid in my free time called 'Monster Sanctuary'

Here is a short animated gif:
http://imgur.com/gallery/9uZdNox

You think it's a good idea?
>>
>>385955850
Giving away any keys?

Looks very interesting
>>
It will take a while more but i plan to have a demo this year still.
>>
File: Indivisible06.png (310KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Indivisible06.png
310KB, 620x349px
>>385955850
golly gee, what does this remind me of
>>
looks neat anon keep it up
isn't pokemon vaguely metroidvania in a way? there are interlinking shortcuts and HMs act as powerups that allow you to traverse areas previously blocked off
>>
>>385956169
once you put it on steam can I get a free one?, I'll help convince people to buy it on the forums and stuff, looks pretty fun man
>>
>>385955850
drop that guys straight out of Terraria and it looks decent
>>
File: Capture.jpg (9KB, 185x25px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
9KB, 185x25px
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming

Post it here if you haven't already.
>>
>>385956045

It will take a while more but i plan to have a demo this year still
>>
>>385955850
I feel like the various battles will interrupt the flow of movement that makes for good Metroidvanias. Even with set locations it still seems like the ideas conflict.
>>
>>385956230

yeah kinda, i think the difference is that my world exploration is in sideview like in metroid instead of top down view like in most RPGs.
>>
>metroid and pokemon mix
it's called valkyrie profile clone you idiots
>>
File: 1197273599358.jpg (95KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1197273599358.jpg
95KB, 600x450px
>>385955850
You've peaked my interest. In fact, get the fuck back to developing it and stop dicking around with rabble like us so I can start emailing you my money or whatever.
>>
>>385955850
I wouldn't say it looks like Pokémon, even with the monster battling element.
>>
>>385956595

You don't collect monsters in Valkyrie Profile :)
>>
>>385956750

yeah it surely isn't a straight copy but it does have monster collecting and turn based combats.
>>
Do you have a twitter? Also your visual design is pretty garbage, the sprites are nice but the colors and designs are lacking.
>>
Do you have a composer? Do you need one?
>>
File: 69749858.jpg (75KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
69749858.jpg
75KB, 900x900px
>>385955850
>You think it's a good idea?
Yes it is anon
>>
File: 1480296433950.gif (1MB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1480296433950.gif
1MB, 230x230px
>>385956372
>take your ideas to reddit
>>
It doesn't look very interesting.

I mean what is the point of a metroidvania with turnbased fights like that? You're going to completely break up the exploration.

The player sprite looks ripped out of terraria.

The general screen suffers from mmo-syndrome: the area that the players take up is incredibly small compared to the size of the screen. This makes the movement and combat seem really insignificant. There are no damage animations or bigger animations to give any oomph to attacks.
Because of this you have very simplistic, tiny animations on very tiny sprites, which makes the combat very uninteresting.

The hp bars are not very descriptive and do not look very good.

The movement already seems boring due to no momentum, acceleration, or anything, very flat movement put in areas that are far, far too large just means incredibly boring movement and exploration, leading to a waste of trying to do a metroid-style map.
What are you trying to do with this perspective?

Your menu bar is already clipping on the buffs that go on your monsters, the monster info UI clips with everything, and you have that huge space on the left side of the screen that is completely unused during combat.

The moves don't even really work with the monsters, look at the ice dog using the blue fireball storm spell. It looks incredibly awkward with the blue balls coming out of its back after it sort of hops forward once.

What are you trying to do with the combat?
With the perspective?
With the exploration?

Nothing looks particularly interesting or well done right now?
>>
>>385957146

Sure - https://twitter.com/moi_rai_

Yeah i'm not a full fledged artist since i'm doing programming, game design, level design, pixel art, SFX and even the music all myself, but i've received mostly positive feedback regarding the art :)
>>
>>385956372
>plebbit
Why? He expects actual answers, not a fucking circlejerk.
>>
>>385957464
Rewatching the gifs I take back one thing:

There are hitstun sprites for enemies, they just don't really give that feeling of seeing somethign get hit.

Also the perspective on the sprites is off. Slimes, monks, tengus, and robots, and green boogers are all somewhat facing the camera, while the dog and protagonist are both perpendicular to the camera. It looks awkward.

One final thing to mention, and this is a killer to your game.
Your designs are boring. Your mons do not look like they are characters, but rather copy pasted audience members in the stands of a sports game.
They are flat, boring, and uninspired.
They have no characteristics to make them stand out, nothing to draw the eye. The idle animations are just bobbing up and down with no life to them. The closest you get is the tengu's nose but even that is muted.
>>
>>385955850
Love the concept anon. Have you gotten someone to sign on for music for it yet? How serious are you about the project?
>>
>>385957464

Thanks for the critique! I see you have quite some valid points but i don't agree with everything.

There isn't an issue with breaking up the exploration in top down RPGS with turn based combats, why would it be unthinkable in a world with a side view?

The size ratio of the Character on the screen is pretty normal for a 16 bit game.

The character being ripped of terrario i've read multiple times already but without having played terraria i can't quite find on google who looks similar there? Would appretiate if anyone could link it to me.
>>
>>385958267

really appreciate your honest and harsh feedback, so i can see where i have to improve on :)
>>
>>385955850
How many people do you have helping you OP?
>>
>>385956224
Literally not even the same fighting style and indivisible is just a rip off of valkyrie profile so who gives a fuck what it reminds you of.
>>
>>385958550
The top down and sidescroller have different types of exploration.
Top down jrpgs inherently have movement limited, often times onto a grid-like basis. These grids are then put into individual rooms where you generally solve puzzles to advance to more rooms. The exploration exists as solving puzzles to advance between rooms and seeing how the rooms connect to progress through the dungeon is the exploration in those games.
The actual movement is divorced from all the exporation except for being used to input your solution to the puzzles (stand on this, move over these to uncover this, etc.)
Movement in these cases is just basically you pressing the answer button once you have figured things out. It isn't really important in terms of anything else.

Lufia 2 is a very solid example for this type.

For a sidescroller movement is everything. You are not on a grid or anything anymore, you have an additional method of movement with jumps and the additional mechanic of gravity. While you may have rooms and puzzles and all that jazz, movement actually becomes the key to actually solving them and being able to move correctly and cleverly is how you progress. Movement is the gameplay in sidescrollers.

Breaking up that movement based exploration gameplay by having the battles like that and a gigantic screen is going to murder your exploration gameplay.

The way games get around this problem is by having smaller screen sizes and having random battles be contact oriented. Mainly you have to touch the enemies to start the combat and the player is given some way of attacking the opponent to start combat at an advantage. This allows for an easy transition into combat and the ability to avoid combat and continue exploring.
The transition is also unbroken so you don't have things like the 'select your party' UI breaking up the transition.

Valkyrie Profile is an example of this done well.
>>
>>385959678

I'm doing pretty much everything myself, my brother is helping me with ideas, Story and dialogues.
>>
File: 1468897154602.png (4KB, 136x129px) Image search: [Google]
1468897154602.png
4KB, 136x129px
>>385955850
It looks really creative and original, but it all really depends on the execution, polish, and sound direction. Ludonarrative/substance is a plus.

I really hope you make a game that's closer to God Hand or La-mulana on the "creative games" spectrum rather than Super Hot or Gone Home (IE Experimental games that were lazy as shit, didn't even try to meet their potential, and are worthless)
>>
>>385956224
>>385959678
>>
>>385960004
Im sure that wasn't for me but good for you. The sprites look good. Is the evolutions? Have any pictures of bigger monsters?
>>
>>385955850
i like it. but wouldnt being able to choose your own pokemon/moves ahead of time make the game easier?
>>
>>385959818

Grid based movement was mostly used for NES and some SNES games, most more modern JRPGs had fluid movement and often no puzzles but plain exploration broken up by combat encounters.

And you're right that Valkyrie profile is a good example that shows that it is indeed possible.
>>
>>385955850
Digimon World did it first.
>>
>>385958468
anon pls respond
>>
>>385960597
But the talk was about sidescroller and top down jrpgs.

Most modern jrpgs are not top down view.
>>
>>385960815

i'm doing the music myself :)
>>
>>385955850
>You think it's a good idea?
I reckon if you chopped down the battle intro sequence so it only lasts a second with minimal fade outs, but made a neater animation for your creatures to enter the field would be pretty dope
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.