[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Morrowind held so highly when Daggerfall was superior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: fall_001.png (27KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
fall_001.png
27KB, 320x200px
Why is Morrowind held so highly when Daggerfall was superior in every way?
>>
>>385955793
literally console peasants
>>
>>385955793
Why is Daggerfall held so highly when Arena was superior in every way?
>>
Is Daggerfall actually good? The thought of randomly generated content puts me off the game.
>>
>why is skyrim held so highly when oblivion was superior in every way
>why is oblivion held so highly when morrowind was superior in every way
>why is morrowind held so highly when daggerfall was superior in every way
>why is daggerfall held so highly when arena was superior in every way
>why is arena held so highly when banging rocks together was superior in every way
>why is banging rocks held so highly when swimming around in the pacific ocean as microbes was superior in every way

the curse of the elder scrolls series
>>
>>385955793
The programmer of Arena and Daggerfall left so they didn't go the procedural generation massive world route for Morrowind. I like Morrowind but a modern day Daggerfall would be goddamn amazing.
>>
>>385955793
Is Daggerfall even playable these days? If the older ES games can be played I'd want to try them out.
>>
>>385956184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SnQlJGqgM

The truth of gaming will tell you.
>>
Shit controls and user interface
>>
>>385955793
Daggerfall isn't as moddable. TES games have always been buggy shit that needed the community to fix it's problems. Although with all the patches and fixes, Daggerfall is better than Morrowind. Morrowind is better with mods and community fixes. At least until DFUnity comes out.
>>
>>385956184
I thought the same thing at first, but the factions and atmosphere made me like it a lot. Give it a shot since it's free
>>
>>385956479

Aight I will.
>>
>>385956382
You can change the controls to play exactly like morrowind. Plus there's a whole bunch of biomes and regions you can live in, each with their own specific diety. DF is a role players paradise as long as you have the imagination.
>>
I need to try it again. Couldn't get out of the start dungeon because of that wonky combat.
>>
>>385955793
Daggerfall had a very very bad automap feature. I've played all of the TES games, and the map in Daggerfall was unreadable. Also, I was lucky I knew levitation spells (even though I played as a barbarian) or I wouldn't have been able to finish it.
out of all the TES games, Daggerfall had the most potential to be fun, but just wasn't, because the dungeon exploring was not fun.
Morrowind had its flaws too, but the dungeon exploring aspect was ok. plus (and this might qualify me for every insult on here) I really like 3D graphics, as opposed to the 2D one from arena or DF.
>>
>>385956060
It wasn't though, Daggerfall was superior in every single way

Arena is a really interesting game a historic curiosity for fans of the series, but it was really mediocre
>>
>>385955793
because Oblivion is the superior game.
>>
>>385956382
it is very easy to get lost in, because you have a ton of stuff to do.
you start by looting some dungeons. you get loot, go and sell it. then you get gold, and buy a horse and cart, so you can carry more loot so you can sell more at a time. Then you buy a boat, so you can cross the Illac bay easier and faster. You start converting gold to credit letters, because it's so heavy. you buy a house to keep loot you find. you do random quests to get even more money. you join the guilds, depending on what character you made. and so on.
>>
>>385957187
underage b&
>>
>>385956995
I remember it was doing that "Ye Olde English" vocabulary. "Checking Ye Olde Diske" was funny to read.
>>
>>385956184
For the love of everything holy: Get the teleport spell, or be ready to tear your hair out when you get stuck in a 30km^2 big dungeon with teleport doors that leads to rooms and hallways with no exit.
>>
>>385956415
The controls can easily be changed to a more logic wasd based config.
>>
>>385956995
I played Daggerfall and it was awful.

I played Morrowind and it had its faults, but it was less awful.
>>
>>385956386
>six seconds in
turned it off
>>
>>385956479
where do you get it for free?
>>
File: wasdad.jpg (65KB, 644x483px) Image search: [Google]
wasdad.jpg
65KB, 644x483px
I enjoy it, but the inventory is so damn bad.
Is there a mod to improve that
>>
>>385956386
Why do people take this faggot seriously when all his reviews are just rapid fire of vapid points with little evidence/explanation behind them?
>>
Elder Scrolls is a garbage series. Every game.
>>
>>385958716
i agree

i just can't get into them at all. same with the witcher series. literally about an hour played in each game and can't do it anymore
>>
>>385958853
The Witcher games look like shit to play, and I'm not sitting through terrible gameplay for above average writing by video game standards.
>>
File: gitting gud at daggerfall.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gitting gud at daggerfall.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>385956917
>>
>>385958629
because it makes them seem smart. He obviously speeds up his voice too, I can hear the artifacts.

that's how all "game reviewers" are now. They cherry-pick things and give their subjective views and opinions like they're fact. like trump, except with a bigger vocabulary.
>>
Metacritic says skyrim is the best one in the series, Todd is an artist
>>
Morrowind:
>World is small, but focused

Daggerfall:
>dude random generation lmao
>>
>>385957712
Fuck off you shitter
>>
>>385955965
This.
Everyone blames Todd, but, if it wasn't for cucksole faggots, the Elder Scrolls wouldn't have been dumbed down so much.
>>
File: 1499886359606.jpg (115KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1499886359606.jpg
115KB, 1024x904px
How the fuck do you even play this on DOSBox?
>Sound warbles and lags
>Move like I'm moving through molasses
>Changing the CPU cycles or detail level in the main menu does nothing
Do I need to re-partition my hard drive and install FreeDOS or some shit? This is getting ridiculous.
>>
>>385961528
don't know what you're doing wrong, i've always been able to have it work properly on any machine
>>
>>385958074
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
is googling so hard?
pretty sure you could get it from beth's official site too
>>
>that woman
holy shit, I blew unimaginable loads over that tit
>>
>>385956184
Fuck no. The dungeons are nice, but everything else is pure garbage.
>>
>>385956060
>how to spot the guy who played neither of the games
>>
>>385957187
Literally copy/paste: The game
>>
File: 1501686695921.jpg (1MB, 10000x8643px) Image search: [Google]
1501686695921.jpg
1MB, 10000x8643px
>>385956386
>fast travel was a good thing to re add
>oblivion was an improvement to Morrowind
>you didn't get the true ES experience if you haven't played Daggerfall
>>
>>385961528
No you don't. You need to increase your cpu cycles to 100-200k. Take a look at my example config for Daggerfall. I'm using Dosbox .74-ES as that's the most recent version of dosbox and has shader support. But however this is the cpu section of the config and... voila. Shouldn't lag on any level unless your machine itself is a potato.

>core=auto
>cputype=auto
>cycles=fixed 100000
>cycleup=10
>cycledown=20

It is very likely that you haven't just setup your Dosbox correctly. You need to have a proper config for each and every game separately. Don't use SVN-Daum as well because it's OUTDATED and shit.
>>
>>385956184
It's a case of just throwing everything at the wall in hopes something will stick but the few things that do stick are really good.
>>
>>385960002
t. Todd Howard
>>
>>385956223
>arena
>better than daggerfall
Now that is a lie and you know it
>>
>>385962329
Forgot the mixer settings, this is mixer settings. Notice the blocksize and prebuffer are larger than defaults.

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

>[mixer]
>nosound=false
>rate=48000
>blocksize=2048
>prebuffer=80

>[midi]
>mpu401=intelligent
>mididevice=default
>midiconfig=0

>[sblaster]
>sbtype=sb16
>sbbase=220
>irq=7
>dma=1
>hdma=5
>sbmixer=true
>oplmode=auto
>oplemu=default
>oplrate=48000
>>
File: T1ZH8lW.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
T1ZH8lW.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>DFunity will probably never get released in uyour lifetime

>Interkarma will probably keep tinkering away at it till he's 80 and then die and never release it

>your dreams of playing a oblivion style daggerfall conversion will probably never come true

makes me sad. I just want to wander around endlessly in the mountains.
>>
File: th.jpg (13KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
13KB, 480x320px
>>385955793

I miss when TES had that SwordnSorcery, Robert E Howard/Fritz Leiber kind of feel and Asethetic. Daggerfall had it but very game since has done another thing
>>
>>385962585
Oops pasted too much shit. Anyway take a look at the mixer settings.
>>
>>385962603
why would you want that?
there's nothing in the wild.
>>
>>385958716
>>385958853
>hates elder scrolls
>goes into an elder scrolls thread

Life must be difficult for you.
>>
Never played Daggerfall but Morrowind is shit so its not hard to be better than it
>>
>>385955793
Morrowfags are more numerous and screech louder.
>>
>>385962603
I always wondered if it's possible to change the placement of trees and doodads on the landscape through unity in to a more natural style. More clumps of forests, open spaces, fields etc. I think it would really help the whole "random generated" feel daggerfall has with trees spaced evenly in the landscape.
>>
>>385958452

the UI? there's a button in the main menu where it just shows the basic status bar and compass instead of all those buttons for resting/actions
>>
>>385962708
I know, i just want to wander. I used to walk from town to town in daggerfall, but it's too difficult to know where you're going with the shitty view distance and crappy map that makes it mostly guesswork guessing which direction a town is in.
>>
>>385957364
That shit made me quit the game. After like 15 hours of gameplay and I got a quest to speak with some chick inside a fucking dungeon. After hours of exploring and bullshit with wraiths and dying I finally found her inside some random chamber. Then she's like "lel git gud scrub come back when ur stronger xD". Fuck this game.
>>
>>385956060
Arena is worst than skyrim
>>
>>385959370
It's still a fucking chore given how huge the dungeons are.
>>
>>385955793
If there was a mixture of intricately hand-crafted dungeons and overworld areas amidst the random generation Daggerfall would easily go from a 7/10 to a 9/10
A modern Daggerfall in that vain would be incredible
>>
>>385956382
Its fun, I just got out from a maze dungeon I am now rich from all the loot I found i also killed a mummy, that had more gold, now I am stuck on daggerfall because the blacksmith is going to fix my armor and weapons in 3 days, so I think it will buy a horse
>>
>played Daggerfall when it came out
>was a complete disaster
>played Morrowind when it came out
>was an extremely flawed experience but still had fun with how vast it was

Daggerfall was flawed beyond the ability to have fun.
>>
every way, huh?

>graphics
not only are the graphics in daggerfall terrible, but it also just looks boring. morrowind's graphics are terrible too, but it has an interesting style
>music
even if daggerfall's music was really good, morrowind's is really, really good.
>combat
works the same way aside from having to swing your mouse around in daggerfall which is a major detriment because it adds nothing and is just annoying. also daggerfall has plenty of enemies which cause stun, and being stunned can last literally minutes. even a shitty little spider can kill a decent character if it manages to stun you.
>world
daggerfall has twenty thousand times the size and one twenty thousandth the content. there is quite literally NOTHING in the daggerfall overworld outside of marked locations. the marked locations themselves also have no content either. you really have to play it to believe how terrible it is.
>dungeons
the world is terrible but the dungeons are the worst thing in the game. just like the world they're all way too fucking big but with nothing of value in them. they're all essentially a modular set of randomized rooms without any coherent design or appearance. this, combined with the awful map, makes them incredibly frustrating and more importantly FUCKING BORING.
>quests
skyrim lite, kill lists galore. also, try even finding a single one outside of the main quest given how big the world is. likely everything you'll find is radiant shit which is just as shit as it is in skyrim.

i could go on but this is basically the tl;dr : it doesn't fucking matter how good morrowind is; daggerfall is terrible to an almost unbelievable degree. only the stat and leveling is good in it.
>>
>>385964325
t. underage Morroweenie
>>
>>385962110
did you get isekai'd into the elder scrolls world?
>>
>>385955965
who the fuck plays morrowind on a console
>>
>>385962603
>>DaggerXL will probably never get released in uyour lifetime
ftfy
Daggerfall unity is making steady progress. 0.4 is out and quests are already working.
>>
None of the elder scrolls have any business being held highly, they all have plenty legitimately terrible things about them.
>>
>>385962528

Nah, Todd didn't get real leadership until Bloodmoon, i.e. the most boring part of Morrowind.
>>
Daggerfall needed dungeons assembled with larger tilesets rather than individual tiles making sometimes nearly impossible to solve dungeons.

Like the ones where you need to hit a VERY SPECIFIC tiny skull and sometimes that skull can be over a fucking abyss and shit. After that happened in my save I just decided I didn't want to play anymore because the dungeons just weren't as fun or fair as they should be.
>>
>>385965403
I never did beat the main part of Bloodmoon. Everything makes sense now.
>>
>>385964325
Morrowind just plays that title track over and over and over, there's no dungeon music or anything. You get sick of it fast, in fact I added daggerfall music just to break up the monotony
>>
>>385965720
I liked bloodmoon as a werewolf
>>
>>385965403
The credits in the game list him as "Project Leader". The credits didn't change with the DLC. You're talking bollocks.
>>
>>385955793
Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind > who cares?
No amount of nostalgia can save you from this.
>>
>>385961526
>if it wasn't for cucksole faggots
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/7Zo-aXCpN9k/3YGYdVp_SvUJ;context-place=msg/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/7Zo-aXCpN9k/3YGYdVp_SvUJ
>Todd Howard 6/1/97

>The lines are blurring on RPGs because it is one of the few game genres that is defined by the "goal", and not by the type of "interaction". For instance, action games all have a lot of twitch and hand-eye stuff. Fast and reflex oriented. While strategy games emphasize thinking, tacticts, and uhh...well, strategy.

>But RPGs are about developing a character. This says nothing about the interaction. It could be action oriented or turn based. When doing an RPG, you still need to design what type of game it is going to be. Will it be more action, or adventure game like, or turn-based, etc? You get the idea. Daggerfall is very action based, becasue everything happens in real-time.

>REDGUARD, while not an RPG, is a total mix, which RPGs often are. You decide what you want the player to experience and how the game feels, and then see what type of interactions will be the most fun. That is why Redguard is such a hybrid. Look at Archon or Star Control 2, both those games use different interactions to form a cohesive whole.
todd is partially to blame but really elder scrolls games were never good rpgs, even the ones people claim were the best. there is almost zero roleplaying outside of where you put your stats and how you kill shit. even in morrowind an npc spews a wall of text at you and your only response is some variation of "okay".
>>
>>385966015
that is true, and the daggerfall music is pretty nice for what it is. the few tracks morrowind has are so good, though.
>>
>>385966362
Oblivion is bland as shit, even goyrim made a more interesting game. Now after modding the game oblivion is fun.
>>
>>385965403
Bloodmoon really was boring as fuck. The aesthetic of SNOW and TREES was just awful, and Nords are not an interesting race at all. Even if Skyrim wasn't a shit game, I still would've hated it most likely.
>>
>>385966952
Should have played it as a werewolf and fucked up the nords
>>
>>385961526
Pretty much, that's why they're stalling with TES6 they aren't even bothering till PS5 is out so they they don't have to hold back on there vision.
>>
>>385955793
Less bugs, better narrative, physics, AI, and hand made content> procedural crap, all of that while making two versions for the game, and working with a full new engine.

I prefer Daggerfall too, but let's not fool ourselves, OP, Morrowind was a more rounded up and overall better game.
>>
>>385967489
>handmade content> procedural crap
>When the handmade content in TES is so bland and samey it might as well had been produced from a formula
>>
>>385967042
Werewolves were weak as shit though. I hated that werewolves had fixed stats lower than my normal ones. Going from a god to a naked, wimpy furry was stupid.
Not everything in Blood Moon was awful but it was definitely the weakest part of Morrowind.
>>
>>385956184
No, it's aged like the stalest and foulest of milk. Don't fall for the meme.
>>
File: TES.jpg (1MB, 1742x1708px) Image search: [Google]
TES.jpg
1MB, 1742x1708px
Because Morrowind was most people's first TES and it's better than the following games.
>>
>>385956060
I started an Arena campaign 2 years ago, and I still haven't finished it due to how absolutely fucking boring is Arena. I'd do a couple of missions/dungeons and tackle one of the main dungeons, and I don't pick it up till MONTHS later.
>>
>>385963529
As someone who just finished Daggerfall and is playing through MW, MW's dungeons are in-and-out babby's first crawl from start to finish. MW is great but the dungeons are half of what they should be.
>>
>>385961528
Pretty sure GoG has a free version that works 100% out of the box.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.