[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok time to settle this. Is this game a fighting game or not?!?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

Ok time to settle this. Is this game a fighting game or not?!?
>>
>>385899645
No.
>>
>>385900018
fpbp
>>
>>385899645
No.

But it's multiple times better than games that classify themselves as such. Stronger community, grassroots, entertaining personalities, better gameplay, etc.

It's pure autism that is keeping this game alive at the end of the day. It's concentrated and dangerous, but by god it's damn near infinite. As long as that stream keeps going and as long as we're saving money by not buying useless products like deodorant and shampoo Melee will live on forever.
>>
>>385899645
who cares. Evo should stop having melee, then this won't be a topic of conversation anymore. Melee can exist and pull in triple digit views and evo can exist and pull whatever it does when smash isn't there
>>
>>385899645

It's a game where you fight. But it's not necessarily a "fighting game"

Just as a "girl who is your friend" is not your girlfriend.
>>
I'm so fucking sick of Melee. It was a great game, arguably the best Smash Bros. But the competitive scene is utter dogshit. The community is so fucking whiny and cries whenever it's not taken seriously, but ever since they brought it to EVO it's not changed.

The Top 5 is always the fucking same, it's always Mango, HBox, Armada in the top three, and M2K and some literallywho in the Top 5.

It needs to die, it's not changing, it's stale as shit and is on life support at this point. They need to give it a big send-off next year at EVO and make it clear that it's the last EVO it will be at unless there is some serious new blood that revitalizes the game within the next year.
>>
smash bros is a blast zone game
it's a knock the other guy off the screen game

you can even gimp people below the stage
>>
>>385899645
Some cringy looking shit here fampai

I'll stick with my COD thanks
>>
If it's not a fighting game what is its genre?
>>
>>385900472
party game.

Sakurai has always referred to it as such, it was only with the release of Smash 4 that he started considering it a fighting game, mostly because of the competitive scene which Nintendo was beginning to embrace.
>>
File: smarho.jpg (160KB, 1296x864px) Image search: [Google]
smarho.jpg
160KB, 1296x864px
>>385900262
>>
>>385900617
What defines a party game though? Mario Kart is also often played at parties but most people would still call it a racing game first.
>>
>>385899645
Depends how autistic you are. Is Mario Kart a racing game?
>>
>>385900617
If it's a party game then why is it and Smash 4 at EVO?
>>
>>385903385
yes?
>>
>>385903642
then smash is a fighting game
>>
>>385903845
okay, good
>>
is starfox 64 a shmup?
is metroid a run n gun?
is kirby's air ride a racing game?
is luigi's mansion a survival-horror game?
is metroid prime an arena shooter?
is pikmin an RTS game?
>>
>as long as we're saving money by not buying useless products like deodorant and shampoo Melee will live on forever.
kek
>>
>>385903992
no, scrolling shooter
no
yes
no, action-adventure
no what the fuck
no, puzzle strategy according to Wikipedia
>>
>>385900108
>>385904074
Forgot quote
>>
>>385900018
>>385900070
>>385900108
You have to go back.
>>
File: 2.jpg (143KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
143KB, 800x600px
>TFW a 500APM party game gets better viewership than your pr0 fighting game
>>
No, it transcends fighters. This is why FGChimps are so intimidated by it, in addition to having grassroots support FGChimps wish fighters could go back to
>>
>>385899645
No.

That being said, Melee is a very solid game
>>
>>385904137
pretty sure pikmin is action RTS, same genre as DotA
>>
>>385899645
Nah
>>385907131
Kek, here's your (You) Napoleon
>>
Why does melee trigger /r/kappa redditors so much? Do they look at the strong grassroots and the ability to play the great older titles without being forced to play the most recent version and get jealous?
>>
File: 1484116617346.jpg (48KB, 288x412px) Image search: [Google]
1484116617346.jpg
48KB, 288x412px
There was a big debate over this at my job with like 13 people and over the course of a few days we came to a unanimous conclusion
>it depends on who is playing it and how it's being played
if you're drunk just screwing around with some bros and playing with items and shit, it's a party game.
if you disable items and every player intends fully on beating each other, then it's a fighting game.

It's all about the intent of the players.
>>
>>385907284
So do reddit Kappa posters try to be like /v/ fightfags or vice versa? They post literally the exact same shit.
>>
>>385907401
Yep. They're full doublethinkers

>Fuck capcom they suck! I want to play SFIV and Marvel 2 instead of being forced to play this DLC ridden new shit!

>ALSO FUCK SMASH MELEE THEY NEED TO MOVE ON TO PLAY THEIR NEW GAME THEY'RE OBLIGATED TO
>>
>>385907364
b-but muh autism says it has to be one or the other!!!!!!
>>
>>385907452
>omg melee sucks same characters always win
>omg I love third strike best SF game!

>haha SFV is so random anyone can win unlike other SF games where the people who put in work always won
>wtf why are the same people winning melee? This game suck

the hypocrisy is unreal
>>
>>385899645
Depends.

If we take "fighting game" as a spectrum of most like Super Turbo template to least like Super Turbo template it falls somewhere down with Tekken and a little beyond.

If instead we make "fighting game" less dependent on the SF model it becomes closer to just normal fighting game material.
>>
>>385907665
The Moon's been putting in a lot of work and getting great results recently, same with Plup. HBox is starting to choke way more and Armada's taking a break, while PPMD is poised to come back.

More diversity at the top levels feels great man.
>>
>>385908020
I agree I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy
>>
File: yes.png (149KB, 241x635px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
149KB, 241x635px
>>385899645
>>
I'm not sure what else it would be.
>>
Why isn't Smash Bros a fighting game?
>>
>>385908472
>>385908472
Because there are more options to kill people and better movement. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>385908472
>no meter management
>analog movement instead of digital
>KO by ring-out
>>
>>385907364
you needed 13 people and a few days to come to that conclusion?
i couldve told you that and you couldve payed me 5 dollars for saving your time
>>
>>385908585
>it's not a fighting game because it's better
ok
>>
>>385908643
>No meter management
So SF2 isn't a fighting game
>KO by ring out
So Soul Calibur isn't a fighting game?
>>
File: BLACKED.jpg (44KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
BLACKED.jpg
44KB, 1024x575px
Someone put a BLACKED logo on this picture of SFAT making out with Shroomed
>>
>>385909617
wtf are they gay?
>>
What went wrong with Falco in the modern meta?
>>
>>385900617
>party game.

Does not tell anything about the content of a game (other than being "fun to play with other people at parties") so it is not really a genre, and is in no way exclusive with being another genre simultaneously.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.