[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /v/, what is the pinnacle of videogame storytelling, and what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: WILLIAM-SHAKESPEARE.jpg (643KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WILLIAM-SHAKESPEARE.jpg
643KB, 2000x1000px
So /v/, what is the pinnacle of videogame storytelling, and what is the pinnacle of videogame gameplay?
>>
>>385898676
>the pinnacle of videogame storytelling
The final act of RDR

>the pinnacle of videogame gameplay?
Tetris
>>
>>385899372
>That subtle moment with the train choice that is meant to prove that both the player and john could never just settle down and do boring farmer stuff
>>
>>385898676

The Legacy of Kain series

>the pinnacle of videogame gameplay
Geometry Wars 2
>>
>>385898676
>what is the pinnacle of videogame storytelling
sid meiers alpha centauri
>what is the pinnacle of videogame gameplay
sid meiers alpha centauri
>>
File: shannee.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
shannee.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
Withcer 3 HoS

CSGO
>>
>>385900230
>CSGO
the saddest part about this post is that it's probably right, at least in terms of competitive FPS
shame valve treats the game like an abused whore and the community treats it like a verbal dumping ground
>>
>>385898676

Call of duty
>>
>>385900230
HoS is massively over rated. It was good, but certainly nothing amazing, especially when working with such a classic as Faust.
>>
>>385898676
>pinnacle of videogame storytelling
dragon quest v
>pinnacle of videogame gameplay
god hand
>>
File: world1.png (7KB, 761x459px) Image search: [Google]
world1.png
7KB, 761x459px
>>385898676
Another World
>the pinnacle of videogame gameplay
Pong
>>
>>385898676 (OP)
I don't care
Unreal Tournament 99
>>
>storytelling
Inside
>gameplay
Dark Souls III yes I know it's less challenging and no I don't like that either but it simply feels so much better and more satisfying to control, moreso than any other game I know
Alternative answer is Guitar Hero
>>
>>385901946
>ut99
just lol

>>385902020
>the pinacle of storytelling is a game where you damn near have to follow a guide to do some arbitrary not-quite-canon things and find the secret to what's going on
try again
>>
Undertale

Undertale
>>
>>385902236
I'm only talking about the portion all players go through. I haven't even done the secret ending yet
>>
>>385898676
Legacy of Kain series
>>
>dragon quest 5
>quake 3
>>
Halo Reach for both
>inb4 butthurt fags crying about muh armor lock
>>
MGS2
>>
>>385902457
So you have to find these hidden machines and deactivate them. And then you go back to one specific hidden place near the beginning and you get an alternate ending. The way you unlock it is really stupid-- the puzzles themselves are great (and should be a part of the regular levels) but they're just nonsensically videogamey that you have to activate Orbs and then Go Back Into The Chapter Select to find the Secret Thing and what the hell. The actual ending is bioshock tier stupid so that's not good either.
If you want better storytelling to play Ico or Another World. Those won't remind you they're video games.
>>
File: 1340167634443.jpg (56KB, 264x292px) Image search: [Google]
1340167634443.jpg
56KB, 264x292px
>>385901668
>Another World

Explain.
>>
>>385902907
Nahh
>>
>>385902907
It's the pinnacle of storytelling, not story. There are intro and outro cutscenes that set up and wrap up the game. The game between these has the utmost respect for the players' time and their intellect. It does not interrupt you. It does not steal control from you. This lets you get into the character and their plight so much better than those big budget games with expensive voice actors and eight hours of heavy handed cinematics.
There's a scene in Another World where the player character finds himself in a completely foreign tank and he is thrust into a fight not knowing how to control it at all. Any other game would have this be a cutscene where the character hammers the buttons-- you the player aren't feeling this scramble because you know it doesn't matter. Another World briefly shows you entering the fight with the tank then snaps you into a picture-in-picture view of the fight waging around your tank with a window of the characters' hand hovering above the controls of the tank. You control the hand and you frantically hammer the buttons, which reveal more buttons, which fire lasers and missiles, and you work as fast as you can until eventually you find the eject button and escape the fight. This is all done without any button prompts or tutorial popups or words.
This layer of control is a huge difference in how stories are absorbed and felt. All games should strive to sync up the player and the character with as much hands-on interaction as possible.
>>
>>385904228
>It's the pinnacle of storytelling, not story
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>385898676
>Storytelling
Legacy of Kain. Without any inkling of a shadow of a doubt.
>Gameplay
Bayonetta.
>>
>>385904458
Bayonetta.
Really? I guess you casually forgot how many awful quick time events there are, or those two dreadful forced minigames, or all the health and magic upgrades hidden behind completely bullshit needs-a-guide secrets, or the scoring system requiring you backtrack and fight each little tiny optional fight to get a good score, or the awful platforming bits, or those boring giant fights where you repeat the same evade-hit-hit pattern until they die.
>>
>>385904450
?
did you want a visual novel instead?
>>
>>385904645
Sure, I was not thinking of most of those. I had the movement and combo system in mind. I do not know why you dislike the platforming. The character controls so well and everything is so fluid.

I will phrase it this way: The best parts of Bayonetta's gameplay exceed that of any other game.
>>
>>385904932
I played bayonetta intro and all I did was smash same button 200 times without any thought behind it. It was really boring and I stopepd playing.

Witcher 3 had you dodge enemies and think about position and time attacks instantly. So is it better?
>>
>>385898676
Theresia Dear Emile
>>
File: 1493788495332.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493788495332.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>385904932
The camera sucks too. It gets caught on things, it points in the wrong direction frequently, and it doesn't have much preference toward your lock on target.
Are we ignoring this too in your hypothetical best parts scenario?
I mean if we're talking Best Parts then a whole lot of games have Bayonetta beat.
>>
>>385905120
stop playing on easy mode
>>
>>385905120
You played the introduction whose only purpose is to show you what the game is like. Yes, you are going to destroy everything because that is what the developers want you to experience in the beginning of their game, not you dying repeatedly.

Yes, mashing buttons is boring. What a revolutionary thought. You will find it will only carry you through the prologue and part of the first stage.

Witcher 3 good but the point of that game is to take down monsters using knowledge of their behaviours and weaknesses by choosing the appropriate signs, oils, bombs, and tactics. Bayonetta is a character action game where you are supposed to be pulling off crazy feats. Both do their job well, but they have two completely different jobs.

>>385905342
I have never experienced camera issue. Neither on the Xbox nor PC. Then again people often bitch about a game having a bad camera when it had never bothered me while playing.

I think the "best parts" I mentioned are how much mechanical depth there is to the combat, how fun moves feel because the flow into one another, how well telegraphed and fair enemies are, and how amazing the character controls. Maybe there are games that do it better. Do you have any in mind?
>>
File: AC3 story.png (45KB, 1414x1820px) Image search: [Google]
AC3 story.png
45KB, 1414x1820px
>>385898676
Ace Combat Zero or Ace Combat 3

Xcom: Ufo Defense
>>
File: r.jpg (119KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
r.jpg
119KB, 1920x1080px
>>385905636
God Hand
Doom (1993)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Project M
Punch Mania: Hokuto no Ken
Pong
>>
File: 1406678912879.png (46KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1406678912879.png
46KB, 300x300px
>pinnacle of videogame storytelling
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

>pinnacle of videogame gameplay
Also Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.