[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Splatoon do right that this game did wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: SQ_NSwitch_Arms.jpg (410KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SQ_NSwitch_Arms.jpg
410KB, 1000x1000px
What did Splatoon do right that this game did wrong?
>>
Be a game that doesn't rely on gimmicky controls
>>
only one little girl
>>
>>385869508
be a team shooter
>>
Splatoon was pretty much the only game on the Wii U at the time it came out. If ARMS released in 2016 for the Wii U it would see similar success.
>>
>>385869508
Arms was made to fill in the gap between BotW and Splatoon. It's not a bad game on its own, but honestly, it was made as padding between the two system sellers and everyone knew.
>>
As a new Nintendo IP, it didn't feel as forced
>>
File: 1497920395554.jpg (37KB, 261x478px) Image search: [Google]
1497920395554.jpg
37KB, 261x478px
ARMS did better than Splatoon 1.
>>
>>385869508
Have some actual content.
>>
>>385869508
Actually understanding the core draws of the genre they were entering in to.
>>
>>385869508
Probably the motion controls. Honestly. And I'm not even a staunch anti-motion control kind of guy. They didn't sell it enough that it could be played just with the controller, no movement
>>
Splatoon had a better control scheme that wasn't overly gimmicky and offered more content
>>
ARMS didn't have much in the game. Splatoon was kind of barren when it came out but it at least had a bunch of other stuff. It would be like mario kart 8 with two cups. It's okay but you need more if that's your only gimmick.
>>
ARMS is good, Splatoon is terrific.
>>
ARMs literally sold more than a million units already. It did better than /v/thought it would.
>>
>>385870472
I feel they didn't do enough to sell the worth/validity of the motion controls
>>
>>385869903
i disagree.
>>
>>385869605
you can turn that shit off shitposter-kun
>>
>>385872246
/v/ thinks every Nintendo IP that isn't one of their staples (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Smash, etc.) is going to fail. Usually, that would be a safe bet, but I still remember everybody being surprised when Fire Emblem Awakening and Splatoon succeeded. Doubly so when Fates broke records despite the whole censorship nonsense.
>>
>>385869508
>What did Splatoon do right that this game did wrong?

team based game in which one can pawn off the blame for losing to their teammates. Arms is mostly aimed at 1v1 ones and just like fightan games in general nerds just don't like feeling like they suck and especially without anyone else to blame for being so bad at a game.

TL;DR: Splatoon is team based focused. While ARMS is 1v1 focused.
>>
>>385869508
Woomy.
>>
>>385869508
Story mode and fashion desu
If they added tons of unlockable skins for the characters ala Overwatch and put in a proper story mode where you play as Springman or maybe a custom one for each character, you'd have a new Splatoon.

Splatoon also did tons to foster a community where ARMS is largely more like a fighting game in terms of community
>>
File: mechanica_arms_by_mya_0-dbarnib.png (1MB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
mechanica_arms_by_mya_0-dbarnib.png
1MB, 1024x759px
>>385869508
Splatoon had a little bit more to it than ARMS does currently. Also, Splatoon's gameplay loop is more addicting, though it's still a fun game.
>>
>>385869508
You have to remember that at the end of the day, ARMS is a fighting game, and the genre tends to see less success than other genres as a general rule. It's also got a control scheme that isn't particularly beginner-friendly, with or without motion controls. The draw for the game is also 100% leaning on its battle system, since it doesn't have a proper story mode like many other fighting games.

In contrast, Splatoon is a shooter which, as another rule, is a very popular genre. It also has an easy point-and-shoot control scheme that lots of people can get behind, and another twin stick control scheme that everyone else can get behind. The core goal is also very beginner friendly, since even a bad player can shoot the ground. It even has a standard story mode that does a good job of getting the player accustomed to the different weapons they can use against other players.

ARMS and Splatoon are both fun, but Splatoon by nature was going to grab a larger audience than ARMS, and the way it handles the content it has is simply done better than ARMS.
>>
>>385874251
Thanks projared
>>
>>385874634
But my name is John.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.