[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physical vs. Digital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: diskordigital.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
diskordigital.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
What's your preference? I prefer disk but I'm starting to lean towards digital for the convenience of not having to swap disks. However, it's handy to have the disks around so I don't have to download everything again when necessary.
>>
>>385855469
Digital all the way. Now that you need to install the disks after you buy them anyways, disks are even more useless than before.
>>
Xbox One = Digital
PS4 = Physical
>>
>>385855859
That is a retarded view. The disc still has the game data on and hard drive speeds are faster than bluray drives. Plus using the disc drive all the time will wear out the disc drive. A hard drive can easily be replaced.
>>
>>385856941
I'm not saying it's a bad thing that you have to install games from disk, just that it makes disks pretty redundant now if you have a solid internet connection.
>>
>>385858313
Except the disc will still work when they throw those consoles offline forcing you to buy the next console and remaster.
>>
The cheapest option.
I usually end up getting digital on flash sales and physical on new releases or if it's the same price due that Best Buy 20% discount.
>>
Depends on the price.
I'll usually only buy digital games if they're cheap or on sale.
>>
In one case you dont own the game but you can rip the disk
in the other case you dont own the game and (((they))) entirely control your game.
Digital on console is asking for trouble.
>>
>>385859053
You'll still be able to play the digital version if it's on your harddrive, you nignog.
>But what if you uninstalled it a day before they threw the console offline?
Then you're a dumbass.
>>
>>385855469
You don't care about my preference.
>>
>>385859053
The disc is a version of the game that is outdated before it even left the warehouse. It is literally worthless. But by all means enjoy PS3 launch day Skyrim, you sure showed """them"""!
>>
disc because you can get physical games for a fucklow price on console in the US, on top of being able to share and sell them.
>>
Digital

I don't want to hear or wait on spinning disks anymore. Getting an SSD was the best thing I've ever done in my life.
>>
File: 1477711319775.png (307KB, 406x636px) Image search: [Google]
1477711319775.png
307KB, 406x636px
>>385855469
Disk = digital you fucking retard. You're thinking of disc.
>>
File: 1501456599199.jpg (23KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501456599199.jpg
23KB, 480x480px
>>385855469
>buy a game
>rent a license to play a game you have no ownership over which can be revoked at any time without reason
The choice should be obvious. If all you care about is convenience you can just get a crack and make backups, this also applies to consoles that can be modded.
>>
>>385855469
>disk
>k
People need to stop being retarded

>>385855947
I do the opposite. The only physical games I have on PS4 are Uncharted 4 and RotTR because they came with it.
>>
>>385855469
the biggest difference is that HDD can read faster

my hacked PS2 is a testament to that, i can load not just the game, but even loading screens are faster.

the drawback is that digital only will exist for only so long with X marketplace. Sony stopped the PSP marketplace on PSP, so i can't buy games on it. in the farther future, what will happen to PS3 and 360 marketplaces once PS8 and Xbox X are out? if they disappear, all that exclusive shit is GONE and its all tied to an account you can't turn on if you need to get a new system, you can't just back up the games and use them how you want without account activation
>>
File: steamlibary.png (300KB, 1259x904px) Image search: [Google]
steamlibary.png
300KB, 1259x904px
>>385862372
They are some games that dissapeared from Steam Store yes, but I still can redownload it (Like Battlefield 2)
>>
>>385862372
this

steam is a HUGE example and NO ONE fucking reads the damn TOS ever

it generally states that you don't OWN the fucking game, just a license that says you can play it which they can revoke at any time, for any reason and Steam won't be able to protect you.

and yes, i know you can crack shit etc etc, but im talking about the normal fags who WOULD cry over this "blatant rape of their RIGHTS!"
>>
>>385862739
Xbox 360 XBL won't go anywhere since it's needed for backwards compatible games, netflix, YouTube etc.

I think in ten years or so most won't care and there will be a basic version of the service for downloading games.
>>
I sent a guy a message on PSN just saying "kys" after he spent an hour in a game with me just freaking the fuck out and ruining the game for everyone, I got a 3 day suspension. If I lose all my digital games for messaging, that's the height of degeneracy. Disc and SSD all the way. Fuck digital.
>>
>>385858313
You ever tried downloading 9GB at 50 kB/s before? It's not fun.
>>
>>385863117
Leave your console on over night.
>>
>>385863117
>if you have a solid internet connection
>>
>>385863117
Get 1MB/s down, can confirm updating any game on Steam or either console makes me want to kms
>>
>>385863548
>Leave your console on over night.
>over night
>takes two days to download

Really makes you think.
>>
File: 1492199872459.png (157KB, 552x560px) Image search: [Google]
1492199872459.png
157KB, 552x560px
>PHYSICAL:
+ Disc installs the playable base game without an internet connection.
+ You can resell the disc once you're tired of the game.
+ Used discs are available at negotiable prices.
+ You can lend the game to somebody.
- If you're fucking stupid, you'll scratch the disc.

>DIGITAL:
+ You don't have to get your fat ass up to swap a game disc.
- You purchase at full retail price (mostly).
- You purchase a non-transferrable digital license.
- Preordering digital games is not even considered a meme.
- If you get banned from PSN/XBL, you lose all of your fucking games. Poof!
>>
>>385863548
dude

its slow as FUCK at 50kbps
i can tell you obviously never had to DL something huge with that slow a speed
>>
>>385864117
I live in a first world country.
>>
>>385855469
Digital. I don't see any benefits with physical other than collectorfag reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a reasonable argument for preferring physical discs, but from my perspective it's just a waste of space and inconvenient.
DRM is a completely separate issue which is not strictly tied to digital or physical formats.
>>
>>385864103
>If you get banned from PSN/XBL, you lose all of your fucking games. Poof!

huh..............
NINTENDO DOESN'T DO THAT, JUST RESTRICTS ONLINE PLAY ONLY!

you can still use the E-Shop and buy games and redownload shit, just can't play anything online anymore. you can even use fucking Miiverse still.
>>
I'd prefer disks with big beautiful boxes, but since boxes are getting smaller and smaller and discs just send you to steam anyway, digital
>>
>>385855469
I only do Physical for games I genuinely love. Everything else is digital.
>>
>>385864521
i do too, asshole

its just that some fucks are stuck with crap net because they live in the goddamn woods or the ISP is so shit, they can't get a line across the street because of "issues"
>>
>>385864559
Microsoft do a similar thing like blocking voice communications and messaging. It would take a lot to get a complete ban.
>>
Physical. Can't be arsed to download bloated 40gb+ games that hardly look better than last-gen shit on PC that was 6-10gb.
>>
File: 1482474846470.png (42KB, 146x254px) Image search: [Google]
1482474846470.png
42KB, 146x254px
>>385864103
>If you get banned from PSN/XBL, you lose all of your fucking games. Poof!

>PSN
>"TERMINATION / CANCELLATION"
>https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/legal/terms-of-service/

>XBL
>4(a)(iv)(2)
>https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement
>>
>>385855469
All PS4 disc games install directly to the hard drive anyways. May as well get physical so you can at least resell them later if you want to.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.