[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some other games like La-mulana?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

File: Red_Skeletons.png (629KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Skeletons.png
629KB, 640x480px
What are some other games like La-mulana?
>>
>>385847464

I haven't played it but you know la mulana was inspired by a game called maze of gallious right?

In fact i think in the original there is even a mention to it
>>
>>385847843
The original La-mulana had an entire secret area that was made in it, in the remake it was replaced with the "Gate of Time" which was just the first two areas of the original la-mulana.

That being said La-mulana shits all over maze of galious, it's a way more fleshed out game with more variety and creativity as well as better art direction and music.
>>
File: 1458513967393.png (64KB, 328x489px) Image search: [Google]
1458513967393.png
64KB, 328x489px
>>385847843
Not OP but I didn't know that
Pretty interesting
>>
>>385848236
Yeah, it's hard to go to Maze of Galious from La-Mulana. La-Mulana is to Galious what was Super Mario Bros was to Pitfall. Way more solid mechanically, was more detail and more to it, the levels aren't made in complete cookie cutter fashion where you forget where you are purely because of the lack of detail on anything, and actual distinct themeing.

Not much is like La-Mulana because it's pretty niche making a game so focused on puzzles without holding your hand and still having solid action platforming metroidvania-ness. I'd say wait for La-Mulana 2 but who the hell knows when that will happen. He keeps posting updates to say it's still being made, but if it's as ambitious as the first, game, it's gonna take him quite a while.
>Got hospitalized
>Still working on the game
>>
>>385848994
I'm worried about Naramura-san. His lastest tweet was something about pain. If anybody can read japanese and translate it, that'd be nice (translators are not precise)
>>
Favorite music track?
>>
>>385849228
Macs are pretty painful to use.
>>
>>385849571
Either Grand History or Mother Will be Awakened.
>>
>>385849228
He was referring to taking painkillers.
Do they weaken the whole body, or do they only affect the pained parts?
>>
>>385847464
no one
because no game is a pretentious bullshit like La Mulana
>>
>>385850414
>I like every game to be the same
ok
>>
File: Castleroids.jpg (3MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
Castleroids.jpg
3MB, 2000x8200px
>>385849571
Mr. Explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rfhi6I84hM
>>
>>385851201
put Axiom Verge and Guacamelee in great tier

also La Mulana inst a "real" Metroidvania, it's more of a puzzle game with some paltform.
calling La Mulana a metroidvania is like calling Portal an FPS
>>
File: lamulana trigger map.png (2MB, 2401x4233px) Image search: [Google]
lamulana trigger map.png
2MB, 2401x4233px
>>385851728
>Game in a genre is not derivative and this means that it's not a part of the genre.
STOP THIS SHITTY FUCKING MEME

THERE'S A REASON WHY NO OTHER METROIDVANIAS PLAY ANYTHING LIKE THE ONES IN THE HOLY TRINITY
>>
>>385851201
>Symphony of the Night
>Even close to being in the same tier as Metroid
This meme has to stop, that game is the epitome of style over substance.
>>
>>385851848
Holy shit. This is actually impressive.
>>
>>385851201
Shaman King Master Spirits 2 need to be removed from that list. It is fucking awful. Note I said removed and not put into the meh tier. I don't know who put it on the list but clearly no one fact check it. May as well put Megaman X games on the list because they are better castleroids than that fucking piece of shit if using the same logic. The game literally have stages with very little exploring to be done, much less than Megaman X anyway to give a comparison.
>>
>>385851201
put eclessia in your list already you fucking nitpicky autist
>>
File: SmugAnimeGirl.jpg (338KB, 1369x1183px) Image search: [Google]
SmugAnimeGirl.jpg
338KB, 1369x1183px
>>385852496
>Overworld map
>Metroidvania
>>
>>385847464
The good ol'Zelda.
I still haven't found the 2nd dungeon.
>>
>>385851927
I played both as a teen and no, Super Metroid is like a simple children's version of SOTN.
>>
File: 0da.jpg (62KB, 640x499px) Image search: [Google]
0da.jpg
62KB, 640x499px
>>385851201
When did you nerds starts calling Metroidvanias "Castleroids?"
>>
>>385852716
>Painfully easy, braindead easy, holy shit there are a dozen ways to break the game and they're not even that hard to stumble upon.
>Platforming aspect is very quickly made boring because you can turn into a bat and fly.
>Inverted Castle is a chore because the platforming is boring. Consider the Super Metroid Rotation hack and how interesting the platforming challenges are since you can't just fly around right off the bat. You have to use the tools you have and gain in interesting ways while in the same environment. SotN is just, fuck, the levels are so bland it just feels like an aesthetic change. The maps are not memorable.
>Have to beat the game to play as the fun modes
>Can chow down on health items and shit on a whim
>There are dingy RPG elements that just bloat the menus and barely matter at all
Super Metroid is leagues above SotN by virtue of having far more paths to take and an infinitely higher skill ceiling, just about every Castlevania post SotN is significantly better than SotN.
>>
>>385853181
the pasta is stale, chef
no al dente
>>
>>385852793
I personally say metroidvania but when it comes to the list I just use the term that they used. Honestly it is a shitty term either way. Almost as bad as using the term RPG to look up role playing games.
>>
>>385851201
All things considered I really liked Strider.
>>
>>385848994
There's a slight difference between hand holding and cryptic words with no direction.

Not every form of direction has to be a waypoint
Lu mulana is poorly designed ESPECIALLY in the "puzzle" department.

Even AFTER beating the game I looked back at the notes I wrote and realised how downright retarded some of the setups are and how often you ask "What did that do?" because there is no direction or indication whatsoever most of the time.

Not everything needs a popup and waypoint but the clear lack of thought put into the design points to lack of effort yet fanboys will rabidly defend it.
>>
>>385849571
Giant's cry obviously
>>
File: disgustMugi.jpg (11KB, 169x255px) Image search: [Google]
disgustMugi.jpg
11KB, 169x255px
>>385853295
Not seeing an argument.
>>
>>385851201
>Kirby

Is it a "metroidvania" ? Played it a long time ago, but I don't recall seeing any metroidvania-style mechanics.
>>
>>385853474
There's a few moments, especially with some of the poor translation but they're not a majority of the puzzles. I beat it without any guidance minus 3 points and just simple note taking so that you didn't have to go back and look at all the tablets again is pretty much the key.
>>
>>385851201
>Nintendo never even tried to make something similar to amazing mirror again

I fucking LOVED that game goddammit.
>>
How difficult is La-Mulana without using a guide? I refuse to use one.
>>
>>385853474
>What did that do?

You're talking about the gate of illusion?
Because that was retarded.

>>385854038
Harder than what it should be.
Retarded puzzles and stuff that'll make you go "what? why?"
>>
>>385854038
Its the most difficult platformer you'll ever play that wasn't deliberately meant to be mechanically difficult like SMB or IWBTB/G
>>
>>385854038
84 hours to beat in my time log. It was quite a lot of time but the temple is really damn big.
>>385854187
Which puzzles made you go "What? Why?"
The one that took me most off guard was having to visit the girl inside the temple, and that's because you need to visit her a certain number of times and I wrote her off as a person who only gave hints, which is most of her job.
>>
>>385853619
>Super Metroid is easier because you can rush through areas and take shitloads of damage with no second thought, since EVERY enemy drops health and there are dedicated farm pipes
>Platforming in super metroid is stale, YES, INCLUDING YOUR PRECIOUS SHINESPARKS, at least in SotN less than 90% of all rooms are shit boring corridors with no features
>the maps in SotN are not memorable while Metroid's palette swaps are. And again, no, platforming in Metroid isn't fun, it's samey as fuck
>At least SotN has fun modes, unlike a certain other game
>OH NO MUH HEALTH ITEMS (FORGET ABOUT THOSE NON-STOP HEALTH DROPS PLES)
>RPG elements add an element of self-moderation
OH NO
>>
>>385854438
>84 hours for a Metroidvania
>people will defend this
>>
File: EarlyWreckedShip.webm (2MB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
EarlyWreckedShip.webm
2MB, 640x560px
>>385854595
>No advanced movement mechanics in SotN
>Better than Super Metroid
Hmmm....
>>
>>385854187
That sucks.
>>385854208
I highly doubt that.
>>
>>385854595
>at least in SotN less than 90% of all rooms are shit boring corridors with no features
But SotN's biggest problem was that most of the rooms were shit boring corridors with no features.
>>
>>385854641
>84 hours of fun
>faggots on /v/ attack this
>>385854753
>m-muh advanced tricks
nobody cares, just like nobody cares about melee. I'm not going to play a boring game 20 times to break it in every possible manner to try and find fun. Movement in SotN is actually fun and fast and satisfying, in SM it is not
>>
>>385854038
It's the Dark Souls of Pitfall-likes.
>>
>>385854927
Then play it and see. La Mulana was far more difficult to me than any other platformer I've played that I can think of outside of the two I mentioned that were deliberately made to be mechanically difficult (SMB and IWBTB/G) and I love platformers.

If there's another platformer like La Mulana but even more difficult that doesn't stray into the realm of "Haha make 7 pixel perfect jumps" with no substance, let me know. I'd love to play it. Ya know what, Spelunky came close but thats a different kinda game I suppose.
>>
Is this game actually good or is it only notable for being ridiculously cryptic
>>
>>385854641
Eh, I had fun. 16 main areas loaded with detail and a buncha sub areas. The actual puzzles guiding you to a buncha useful items kept my attention for far longer than the average metroidvania "A big boss is guarding this powerup", while still having those fun bosses.
>>
>>385854038
It's pretty normal, people on /v/ are just retards. Take notes on paper tho.
>>
>>385855371
is gud gam
>>385855405
FUCK the temple of the sun.
>>
>>385855012
>Can't cancel out of a back dash with an attack
>Can trivialize all platforming with bat

>Good movement
>>
>>385853181
>having far more paths to take
nigger the inverted castle is entirely open ended
>>
>>385855519
>When you take shortcuts in metroid you "play in an interesting way"
>Doing the same in SotN is trivializing tho
Metroidbabbies are pretty pathetic, I must say.
>>
>>385855483
Confusion Gate, Dimensional Corridor, and Twin Labyrinths are the best areas.
>>
>>385854438
>Which puzzles made you go "What? Why?"
Pressing down on a pot to break a seal for the Tower of the Goddess or some shit like that.
Pressing down in a random place in Gate of Illusion.
The whole fucking gate of illusion.
That gemstone sorting mini-game (i know it's easy when you know the weight of every gem but how was i supposed to know that that thingy in the mausoleum was displaying your weight?)

Finished to game without a guide but fucking hell.

Or maybe I'm just retarded?
>>
>>385855867
>That gemstone sorting mini-game (i know it's easy when you know the weight of every gem but how was i supposed to know that that thingy in the mausoleum was displaying your weight?)
There is also an inscription talking about heroes, colors and weights
>>
File: red tower.webm (2MB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
red tower.webm
2MB, 640x560px
>>385855816
When you do shortcuts in Metroid it's from pure skill with the advanced mechanics from the game, SotN has zero of those. It's going through endless corridors of nothing but enemies in what is the easiest game ever made.
>>
>>385856008
Yeah and you can skip shit in SotN by using jump kicks on flying enemies, does that not count somehow?
>>
>>385854038

i'm gonna spoil (part of) a puzzle for you

at a certain point in the game, you will find a tablet that will tell you to find a dancing man

1) you find this tablet in a completly unrelated zone
2) you find this tablet before needing to do this thing
3) the dancing man is a drawing of michael jackson in another different completly unrelated zone

ah yes, here's another favourite puzzle of mine, the game has a hint system, there is a puzzle that you solve by using the hint system, like you need an item and then the guy who manage the hint system goes like "oh yeah i had that item, sorry bub" that would be the perfect puzzle for a dude like you!
>>
>>385856008
>1 energy
sweat.jpg
>>
>>385855867
>(i know it's easy when you know the weight of every gem but how was i supposed to know that that thingy in the mausoleum was displaying your weight?)

It does look like a modern scales but it is definitely quite convoluted.
>>
>>385855867
The pot thing is very descriptively told to you in a tablet and you should try some shit with it seeing as a giant is pointing right at it for seemingly no reason.
The gate of illusion was one of my favorites. The whole place is about misdirection and you come to 2 doors where a tablet right at the middle of that split in the road tells you essentially that both doors are liars, and trying them out you can find out they loop right back to the beginning, and so you see you need to go up and the extra space in that room with the doors is in fact a ladder going up. I loved the gate of illusion as a whole, though I think it was better at getting the point of the misdirection across when it was called the confusion gate.
The gem stones was another thing I loved. They told you the weights of everything all throughout the game through the weight and color of emotions, but it wasn't enough to just do the math, you had to remember a scale that told you your own weight and act as the last weight on that scale. I wish they didn't give you only 1 try at it as everyone just quit and loaded once they realized they failed it, but it was an optional thing for the third upgrade to the whip and not vital.

There's some BS in this game but you're describing things I found genuinely clever and loved figuring out.
>>
>>385856008
wall jumps
so advanced
>>
File: tansakus.jpg (3MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
tansakus.jpg
3MB, 2000x8200px
>>385847464
>>
>>385856818
You are a bad man.
>>
>>385856095
>Need to be in a room with candles or enemies to do anything
>Still nowhere near as open as SM
Lel
>>
SM has so little actual content it's not funny
>>
>>385854038
took me arounds 50 hours to do the main story without a guide, I used a guide to unlock hell temple tho
>>
La Mulana is easily my favorite game, but yeah, some of the puzzles are retarded.
>>
>>385853871
it's the only metroidvania kirby game ever made

it as ha huge world all connected, with much exploration and many path to follow
it's a really good metroivania, an unusual one but very good
>>
File: wqK4aAd.png (559KB, 1886x1764px) Image search: [Google]
wqK4aAd.png
559KB, 1886x1764px
>>385853871
Amazing Mirror is a metroidvania but too bad it was made during the GBA era of kirby because it has a really bland art style.
>>
Environmental Station Alpha has a La-Mulana style endgame full of riddles and finding secrets all over the map and shit. It's not as cohesive, but it definitely requires noodle cooking.
>>
It seems like all Super Metroid fans can really do is play their game over and over again, trying to speedrun or do other stupid shit, completely refusing to let go. In a world where thousands of other games exist, this is truly pathetic.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.