[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

terraria > starbound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>much more content
>combat structured better
>different ways to approach enemies because of all of the weapon types
>building things is actually important
>better lighting system
>bosses
>actually valid incentive to dig underground other than ore, as in, legendary equipment
>enemies that force players to change their strategy mid-fight
>progression is as linear as starbound while still managing to be a more exciting experience
>RNG system that adds additional buffs/debuffs to weapons upon crafting
>armor set bonuses
>less atrocious UI

and the list goes on and on. how can starboundfags even compete?

and don't tell me that it'll get better with development. starbound has been in development for at least five years and only began 'releasing' a bit ago.
>>
>>385846056
It'd be great if Starbound was a good game. Any news on that Dark Terraria game?
>>
Thanks for that, stating what everybody on the planet already knows.

While we are at it

Overwatch>Battleborn
>>
>>385846056
Tell me why I should play Terraria right fucking now you piece of shit

I've had it installed for years and I haven't touched it since it was first released
>>
>>385847424
It's _________________________________________________________________fun
>>
I don't know who the fuck EVER said Starbound was better than terraria.
>>
>>385847538

I would. I prefer it a lot more, and they've put a LOT of content in, and there are a ton of awesome mods.
>>
>Stone house
>Not at the very least gray brick

Good lord take that shite away from me, have some fucking standards.
>>
>>385847537
well consider me convinced
>>
File: ty6e8e76hhpy.png (3KB, 142x26px) Image search: [Google]
ty6e8e76hhpy.png
3KB, 142x26px
/v/eekend server when?

Marlys need not to apply
>>
File: 1488665007923.png (163KB, 423x364px) Image search: [Google]
1488665007923.png
163KB, 423x364px
>>385846056
preaching to the choir dude
>>
>>385847714
Take some time with it though, it's pretty slow to start out, but once you get to the bosses and mobility upgrades, the game becomes insanely fun, don't think of it as 2d Minecraft, think of it like a randomly generated metroidvania
>>
>>385846056
Last I checked Terraria's mods sucked. So I'd say starbound is better by default since it has mods and a lot of them.
>>
>>385847626
Well, your opinion is wrong.
>>
Starbound is comfier with the animated props. Love making a comfy bunker with flashing decorations
>>
Terraria 2 when
>>
>>385848130

uh huh. I don't give a shit, to be quite honest. I played a lot of terraria , too.
>>
I miss old terraria when it actually took some skill to beat a boss and to progress
>>
How is the 3DS version?
>>
>>385847424

It is one of the most fun game to pump hours in, preferably with friends. Run your own server, get a few guys in and just roll through the game. There's almost no end to the content if you really want, but it's also really easy to just have a blast with just the early game stuff.

Unironically one of my favourite games of all time.
>>
Why is Terraria so popular with nu-males?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItQ4g8RUVs
>>
>>385848852
>having friends
Fucking normie
>>
>>385848952
is this mod actually any good?
>>
>>385847954
>fanmade content being better than actual content
>implying that this is good
>>
>>385846056
I've never actually had to change my strategy once during bosses or fighting normal enemies, but you got most not all points right at least.
>>
>>385849270
Never played it. Probably will when I get into Terraria again.
>>
>>385849441
More content > less content
yes it is.
>>
>>385846056
Meh, maybe. But Terraria looks like shit so I'll stick to starbound
>>
>>385849529
It's not actually Starbound's content. No matter the quality of the mods, If the vanilla game blows shit, it's a bad game.
>>
>>385849729
>playing any game with mods vanilla
you're not playing them right. Always mod if it's an option anon. Vanilla Terraria is boring even compared to modded Terraria.
>>
>>385847424
The sense of progression in the game is really great, getting new items is fucking amazing
>>
>>385847954
>Starbound has something on par with Calamity or Thorium
I hope you got some really fucking good mods then, Anon.
>>
Post comfy tree huts.

I started yesterday after having one hour in, having bought it in like... 2012 or something. Like this >>385847424

But I'm suddenly at a fucking loss on how to make something nice in 2D.
>>
>>385849886
this
>>
Thorium, Calamity, or both?
>>
>>385850021

Frackin Universe is pretty massive, tbqhfamilia
>>
>>385850413
Both. And Spirit, for lols.
And if you're feeling really masochistic, put in Prefixes for Enemies.
>>
File: 1501106075833.jpg (55KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1501106075833.jpg
55KB, 239x239px
>we will never explore the Moon
>>
>>385850509
Do they have any compatibility issues? And in general what order should I focus on first?
>>
>>385850727
Don't think they have issues. Do any Terraria mods get compatibility problems?
>>
>>385850727
None that I've encountered after a ton of hours. Prefixes will fuck you up sometimes though during bosses due to the way it works.
As it stands Calamity and Thorium will kick in right towards the start, and Spirit is mostly Hardmode stuff. Calamity will easily last the longest though, with 8 Post-Moon Lord bosses (4 are kinda mini-bosses, another is a Super boss).
>>385850893
Very rarely. I think Tremors is the only one that gets issues.
>>
>>385850706
Man I had a cool idea for after Cthulhu, a message pops up saying the heavens are unlocked or something and the game generates a fuckton of vertical space with little planetoids and a giant ass moon at the very top, they would all have Mario Galaxy style gravity and you would need to manage an oxygen level and could make little bases along the way to the top to refill on oxygen and supplies, there would be new ore types, new enemies, a few unique planetoids with bosses and dungeons and shit on them, and the moon would have something cool on it to kill
>>
>>385847424
Procedural Metroidvania-lite
Exploratan
Combatan
Craftan
Buildan
Fun
>>
>>385846056
nice commie block
>>
>>385851057
Thanks, I think I will just go with Thorium and Calamity for now. Am I gonna find any content from either mods that will completely break main-game content at the point I'm at, however?
>>
>>385851171
The main issue is that Red moved on to different projects (Otherworld, T2) after Moon Lord (In which he was more in a consulting role) while his wife Cenx took over the lead on it.
>>385851307
Depends on where you're at. Up until Moon Lord Thorium stays pretty in pace, with the namesake Ore being only slightly better than Gold initially. The Pre-Mechanical phase does have a particular armor set that makes them piss easy, if only for allowing constant Gravity Potion effect.
Calamity is crazy though, with pre-ML bosses that are even harder than him solo (Leviathan comes to mind). Nothing Pre-Hardmode is too powerful, but when you get towards ML you start getting some stuff that's much stronger than vanilla (Albeit with harder bosses added in to gate it). Killing ML once is enough to get gear that puts him on farm though, with the bosses after him being ludicrous. IIRC, the max life without armor/accessory bonuses is 700. And melee gets good stuff for boosting max HP.
>>
>>385851956
So I should avoid a lot of Calamity content until after Moon Lord? Good to know. Oh and do you have any recommendations for quality of life mods?
>>
>>385852992
Imksushi's mod is amazing for QoL. Makes a lot of the annoying to find items craftable for relativrly comparable materials.
>>
Wait..you can mod terraria? How? Some proprietary program?
>>
>>385853385
TModLoader, 3rd party software the Devs themselves support.
>>
>>385847626
Man, I wanted to love Starbound since it looks so much better than Terraria and the setting's cooler. But the core gameplay loop is just so shit, no matter how many pointless minigames they add to it, it's never gonna be good.
>>
>>385854917

To each his own. I am weirdly autismal over it. In that I created castlevania planet, with zones based on each level of castlevania.
>>
>>385848710
have you not played expert mode? Everything is harder than it was on release
>>
I know Terraria is by far the better game but I just cannot get over how fuckin ugly it is.
It's not even like Minecraft where yeah it's ugly, but it has a charm, NO, Terraria is just ugly.
>>
>>385855214
I have defeated plantera on expert from the beginning, the newer weapons make it extremely easy
>>
>>385850509
Spirit was really cool until the actual Spirit biome appeared and it singlehandedly fucked up the world via spreading, and destroyed my server with consistent crashes
>>
>>385847424
It's actually pretty damn fun
me and my friends all have 200h+ together in it
>>
>>385846056

Is there anyone that actually disagrees with this?

If starbound were good this could at least be a nice shitpost thread
>>
>>385855028
That's the thing, the game is great if you have some kind of long-term creative goal in mind. What you did sounds awesome and fun.

These games need to be able to inspire ideas like that in players via game mechanics in order to stay fun long-term.
>>
>>385856164

True. I guess the space station element can help with that, but..it's expensive to build
>>
>>385856351
Just spawn the needed materials with admin commands.
They dont even disable achievements, for those that care about them.
>>
>>385846056
>Terraria overworld handed off to another dev
So what's going on, more updates to Terraria 1 or what.
>>
>>385856164
>inb4 terraria roleplaying autist.
I wonder if he still keeps doing that.
>>
Are there any good mods to improve the character creation?
>>
>>385846056

>much more content
That's true, but Terraria has many years on Starbound. Regardless, redigit is a beast with how much content he's pumped out.
>combat structured better
They are both pretty similar.
>different ways to approach enemies because of all of the weapon types
They are both pretty similar, but Starbound also introduces monster elemental affinities
>building things is actually important
That can be a positive or a negative. If you're playing Terraria for the gameplay, then you're forced into building a bunch of small corridors just so you can progress efficiently.
>better lighting system
I disagree. Starbound has a much smoother dynamic lighting system.
>bosses
Oh, yeah. Totally. Starbound doesn't even come close.
>actually valid incentive to dig underground other than ore, as in, legendary equipment
Starbound has much more vault-like content than Terraria. Though, it's usually underwhelming since after many updates the best stuff can be crafted or found through quests.
>enemies that force players to change their strategy mid-fight
If you mean by running away to reset potion timers, sure. Otherwise no reason to switch off your best weapon.
>progression is as linear as starbound while still managing to be a more exciting experience
That's true, but mostly do to the feel good moment of defeating a boss for the first time.
>RNG system that adds additional buffs/debuffs to weapons upon crafting
Yeah, Starbound could use a moneysink like one of those.
>armor set bonuses
Frackin' Universe mod, which everyone should have installed, supplies about thirty sets of gear with set bonuses.
>less atrocious UI
Nawww. Starbound actually has separate tabs for blocks, ores, and weapons.
>>
>>385847103
both of those games and any game looking like them suck except for tf2 for some reason
>>
File: 1357269104870.jpg (36KB, 209x208px) Image search: [Google]
1357269104870.jpg
36KB, 209x208px
>>385846056

>mfw i played both Terraria and Starbound with buddies
>mfw they steamrolled the game for me and i barely did anything
>mfw those are two games i would have loved playing alone but at the time everyone wanted to play those games and forced me in
>>
rundown on the best terraria mods to install together?
>>
>tfw Terraria is such a great game but feels incomplete in a lot of ways
>Starbound is inherently a bad game but has a ton of shit I want Terraria to have
>Terraria 2 could just be a mashup of the best of both games and I would be thrilled
>instead Otherworld will most likely kill the Terraria franchise

I really hope Red just scraps it and goes right to Terraria 2. They've got so much goodwill built up but I think they understand just how quickly their autistic low spec fandom will turn on them if Otherworld isn't a 10/10.
>>
Are tower defense events sets worth it in terraria? I kind of ditches the spider one for one of those and I find it pretty comfortable, albeit replacing sentries is a bit of a hassle.
>>
>>385858278

Class mod

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/class-based-rpg-mod.43901/

and

Enemy prefixes

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/prefixes-for-enemies.40620/

That's all you need to make the vanilla experience better. There's a few major content mods if you want to try those, but they bloat the fuck out of the game a bit too much for me.
>>
>>385858050
There aren't any. Even the most commonly recommended ones like Thorium are awful. Wait for a new content patch and just play a different game.

Terraria has never been a "play every single day" kind of game. You start a new game when a big patch drops, and that's it. Don't waste your time on low-quality mods when you probably have a huge backlog as it is.
>>
i'm sad because Starbound actually looks consistent, has better graphic & animation than terraria.

the worse fucking thing about Terraria is the clash between the design
You can instantly recognize each period from the game development just by looking at the sprite of many item and npc. Progressively, they got better, more beautiful, with better animation, which makes the release item/ pre-1.2 i'd say in a nutshell, completely ugly compared to post 1.2 which was when they just suddenly retook development of the game when it they said they stopped support on it and have finished it.
>>
>>385858846

I'm good with bloat. I like as much content as possible. Thanks for the recommendations. What are the best content mods?
>>
File: cookle.jpg (7KB, 269x188px) Image search: [Google]
cookle.jpg
7KB, 269x188px
>>385848952
Is it a requirement when making youtube videos to be as annoying as possible?
>>
>>385859108

https://calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Bosses
>>
>>385859501

That looks pretty cool. Can I use this and thorium together?
>>
>>385859681

Dont see why not
>>
File: terraria.png (1MB, 1536x1728px) Image search: [Google]
terraria.png
1MB, 1536x1728px
>>385858050
That's a shitty experience. I played with my brother and his friends and it was great because everyone was progressing in different ways. Bosses were pretty slow because everyone needed the gear and everyone was spending time working on their own little hideout. The main base was this little fishing cabin but someone was working on beach bungalows and another guy was doing mushroom stuff below the house, another guy had an ice castle with all the NPCs and fun stuff.
>>
>>385847424
It's a 2D Minecraft ripoff that quickly lifts up its skirt and reveals it's actually a Metroidvania. Then it pulls the mask off once you've each other for a while, and it turns out it was a bullet hell the whole time.
>>
>>385848718
Of all the ports it could possibly be the best, and I would know cause I own every single port.
>>
File: TerrariaCultist.png (846KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
TerrariaCultist.png
846KB, 1024x683px
>No Server posted yet
Here's one that's barely used.
Spawns a little fucked.
>>
>>385847758
I'd consider hosting one, maybe. Nothing large though, maybe at best 3-4 other guys to dick around with.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.