[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breath of the Wild is a great game but a shitty Zelda.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

File: 08012017.jpg (529KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
08012017.jpg
529KB, 625x833px
Breath of the Wild is a great game but a shitty Zelda.
>>
Just like MGSV?
>>
>>385825815
And Shadow of Mordor
>>
No, it's just a shitty game.
>>
>>385825815
>>385825910
I agree, both of them are shitty Zelda games.
>>
>>385825741

You can't keep using that argument

Being a Zelda game that goes NES open world style is why people loved it
>>
>it's a good game, but not a good [series] game

You need to fucking kill yourself
>>
>>385825741
Well its better than SS, TP, WW and OoT. I fail to see how it's a shitty Zelda when it's better than the majority of Zelda games. Anyway have a (You) for effort I guess.
>>
>>385825741
if botw were made by any other company it wouldnt be good. Its only as quality as it is because its made by nintendo AND its a zelda game. If this where simply the case then other companies would be releasing quality action adventure games all the time, but they hardly get one a year. its a dumb argument for people with under developed brains
>>
>>385825741
The top should say "generic game from an old IP that does nothing new"
The bottom actually does something new for its series and should be praised appropriately.
>>
>>385825741
What are the prerequisites for a 3D Zelda game?

>shitty long ass tutorials
>handholding throughout
>annoying partner
>forced gimmicks
>linear, restricting gameplay

Yeah I guess in that sense BOTW doesn't live up to what's expectedly of it
>>
>>385826136
>does something new for its series and should be praised appropriately
doing "new" things ruins more games than makes them better. Why is this even a consideration? who cares what is new, I want good
>>
>>385826019
NES had dungeons, no durability system, no boring long ass climbing sections, big enough map but not way too big and empty, bosses etc etc
>>
>>385826263
Zelda hasn't been good since WindWaker. I don't even really like the series although OoT is one of favorite games of all-time. Any changes to the formula is welcome.
>>
>>385826475
wind waker was bad. BOTW is the first good zelda game in almost 20 years
>>
botws map could have been half the size but still had the same amount of content
>>
File: 1492349095594.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1492349095594.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>5 months later
>still buttblasted
Amazing. Looks like BotW is truly the Bloodborne of Zelda games.
>>
>>385826186
Nope. They are:

>good level design and pacing
>good story
>good music
>well designed boss fights, even if on the easy side
>pretty damn good final bosses
>themed dungeons

And BotW failed miserably in all of them.
>>
>>385825741
Zelda Botw is the only real zelda game is 20 years
>>
>>385826303
You could carry only eight bombs and shooting arrows consumed ruppees.
Great game.
>>
>>385826767
By being way too big and shallow as a puddle, with a shitty story and a shitty final boss? How's that? Was the franchise that bad during the past 20 years?
>>
>>385826650
>Thread discussing flaws about BotW
>Someone posts this shitty image

Every time.
>>
The fact that you think there's a solid definition for "Zelda game" is why they made BotW.
>>
>>385826882
I like how you completely get what "weapon durability" means.

9/10 post
>>
>>385826897
>way too big
>I WANT LESS
>HOW DARE YOU GIVE ME MORE
>STOP GIVING ME MORE
>>
>>385826653
Your shit taste=/= what BotW isn't
>>
>>385825741
I'm glad that it only took five months for what I've been saying since March to become apparent. It's vindicating. Like if you saw a gremlin on the wing of a plane and everyone called you crazy, but then they saw the damage to the wing.
>>
>>385827071
BotW is The Phantom Menace of video games.
>>
>>385826969
By releasing an unfinished product with lackluster aspects that were extremely good and enjoyable in past entries? Oh I get it.
>>
>>385827071
have you been in a coma? This shit has been going on since reveal at E3 2016. It's the same few people, it's pathetic
>>
Zelda's always been open world you dumb shit. Hardware limitations are why it's never been as open as BotW.
>>
File: 1501370588398.jpg (43KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
1501370588398.jpg
43KB, 500x513px
how about we just call it a good game and leave it at that?
>>
>>385826653
that is ALTtP, OoT, AoL, and Oracle games. MM, WW, TP, SS, MC are all pretty bad adventure games that rely too much on the narrative (zelda lore is really weak as is) to make up for the lack of good game
>>
>>385827050
Tell me more about your refined taste for videogames
>>
>>385826653
>good level design and pacing

Well you certainly won't find that in Windwaker, Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess

>good story
No Zelda game has an enthralling story, and I'd prefer BOTWs non existent story to something that actively hampers my enjoyment of the game like TP or Skyward Sword

>good music
While BOTW doesn't have as much music as other games, the tunes that are there are good

>well designed boss fights, even if on the easy side

Most Zelda bosses are just use the dungeon item 3 times at the bosses weak spot though? Is much rather bosses like BOTWs field bosses where you actually have flexibility in how you choose to take down a boss

>pretty damn good final bosses
>themed dungeons

These are really only your valid points but I would struggle to call skyward swords final boss good
>>
>>385827126
>good
>enjoyable
>finished
>past 3D zeldas
I want to laugh but I think you aren't joking
>>
>>385827197
>ALTtP, OoT, AoL, and Oracle games
>2D shit
It's trash. Kill yourself.
>>
>>385827161
>its impossible that people could dislike botw, it must be the same few people shitposting

t. delusional fanboy
>>
>>385827179
>hardware limitations to make a game empty as fuck and large as an american state
>>
>>385826882
>being this bad at zelda

the map and booklet are available online. Just get the pdf on the android I know youre posting from and use that to have a great experience
>>
>>385827271
t.know that it's the same few people and refuses to admit it

Every single time.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>385827249
Ill kill you
>>
>>385825741
>>385825815
>>385825910
Agree with all. Enjoyed all a great deal, but at the end I felt like it was just missing too much tat would make it a part of the universe of the other games.
>>
>>385827298
>empty
You don't like said content != empty
>>
>>385826534
Eh I'd agree with you but any time you mention that you're not a fan of Wind Waker in polite company they chimp out.
>>
Breath of the Wild is a great game and a great Zelda game. Zelda is not defined by superficial bullshit like the LttP/OoT formula.
>>
File: nostalgiaglasses.jpg (76KB, 650x454px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgiaglasses.jpg
76KB, 650x454px
>>385827428
its because of neo-nostalgia
i made this in 2012
>>
>>385825741
What do you think is the best Zelda then?
>>
>>385827208
>No Zelda game has an enthralling story
You didn't play many of them I see, specially Majora's Mask
>the tunes that are there are good
random piano notes for about 60% of the OST, 30% remixed old themes and 10% really, really good original songs
>you actually have flexibility in how you choose to take down a boss
"stasis + arrow stun + random weapon bashes until it breaks, repeat" is your flexibility for every single boss in the game, everything else deals poor damage and is a big waste of time in favor or cool factor
>skyward swords final boss good
SS had it simple but good, what made it great was the whole sequence of bosses before Demise
>>
>>385827303
You reminded me how the bomb-able walls were often in obscure locations as an obvious ploy to buy the strategy guide.
10/10 masterpiece shits all over BOTW.
>>
>>385827740
one secret per screen, bomable walls are always on the north face of a wall. If there are no burnable bushes or pushable rocks, theres a bombable wall. I remember watching my dad 100% zelda without any guides in 94.
>>
>>385827740
>secret doors are actually hard to find

wow what a concept
>>
>>385825741
no, ur returded
>>
>>385827740

You'd think BotW fags be all about trial and error and experimenting, but nope they're all too retarded and post webms of that one combat interaction but everyone knows the game is piss pool shallow.
>>
>>385827406
900 korok seeds and shrines are pretty much the only type of content scattered around the world, not even a single original mini/regular themed dungeon like a cave or a complex set of ruins are there, most of these are just big, empty rooms with the same enemies you encountered before and no different rewards at all (either koroks or shrines)
>>
>>385827641
This basically describes my friend.
>>
How is /v/ still butthurt over BotW? It's been five months, move on.
>>
File: j.gif (3MB, 380x288px) Image search: [Google]
j.gif
3MB, 380x288px
Anyone like Botw but don't like the Zelda aesthetic? I would have loved this game more if it wasn't Zelda. The whole Hyrule mythology does not interest me in the slightest ( Gannon is cool though). Silent link pisses me off to no end, if you're going to have va for almost every character besides your protag, then what the point? and no I don't give fuck about projecting myself onto a blonde twink. I actually wanted to hear link talk.
>>
>>385827930
Yeah, grinding bombs and marking off a checklist really gets my neurons flowing.
>>
>>385825741
BOTW is great for the exploration and gameplay at first but once you have explored all of Hyrule, you realize that you're doing the same thing all over again.

Dungeons are awful in this game and too easy. Shrines are no suitable replacement and become immensely tedious overtime(and longer too and you only get one measly orb). Most fetch quests from NPC characters in this game are now pointless(since most don't reward anything substantial like heart pieces, useful items, etc). Bosses in dungeons all look alike. And the lack of a decent overworld music makes this world feel more empty than it already is(a bigger world isn't always "good").

Champions had potencial for interesting characterization(in particular Revali, and Mipha), but unfortunately they are all dead, and have very spotlight in the story which makes it hard to emphasize with them(Midna alone had more characterization than all of the characters in this game combined, including Zelda(.

Story is okay but the usual cliche "Link has to save Princess Zelda and save Hyrule and is the only one that can do that." I would had preferred they had taken another course with the story(like they did in Majora Mask, which was an entirely fresh concept instead of usual Zelda tropes).

Companions man....this game needs them. Its 2017 and an open world or adventure game without companions kills it. One-manning everything, something you feel like there needs to be some memorable characters around with you, like it was the case with Witcher 3 and Fallout NV.

Honestly I don't mind the Zelda series going open world but it needs to return to traditional dungeons, it needs to make the side-quests more rewarding, get rid of shrines and implement normal fast-traveling in return, make some items unique and unbreakable(but in return they can have a cool-off period like the Master Sword), repair/crafting system, and companion system.
>>
>>385825741
Why is it a shitty zelda? It goes back to the roots of the series.
>>
>>385828053
it describes a lot of people on /v/ too
>>
>>385828107
Same here. I wish it was some original IP, it would work flawlessly without the "Zelda" name slapped in the box.

By being a Zelda, we automatically compare it to previous experiences in the franchise.
>>
>>385828285
if botw were made by any other company it wouldnt be good. Its only as quality as it is because its made by nintendo AND its a zelda game. If this where simply the case then other companies would be releasing quality action adventure games all the time, but they hardly get one a year.
>>
>>385827005
Are you purposefully being retarded? It's not the size itself, it's the emptiness of it.
>>
>>385828087

Are you perhaps new to /v/. Better games than BotW get these sorts of threads constantly, New Vegas gets a "it wasn't that good" thread every few days
>>
>>385828152
but there is a companion anon, it is called Wolf Link Amiibo, $15.99 MSRP
>>
>>385828453
>Bugs Vegas
>better than BotW
(You)
>>
File: IMG_0959.png (725KB, 864x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0959.png
725KB, 864x576px
>>385825741

>Ocarina of Time is a great game but a shitty Zelda, it's not like MUH Link to the Past

This is how you sound

You might as well go

>Last of us is a good movie but a bad game
>>
>>385828590

Don't be mad because your budget Minecraft with improved checklists has no soul behind it
>>
>>385828342
nope, it not good as a Zelda game, it's just average

but it's good as a generic open world experience like OP said because you won't be comparing it with better Zelda titles from the past
>>
>>385828676
Quality bait.
>>
>>385828009
The shrines, aside from the combat trials, each have unique puzzles, often with multiple solutions depending on how perceptive you are. You're trying to dismiss them as all being the same because they have the same visual theme. That's rather dishonest, I hope you aren't trying to dissuade anons from playing the game because you're a bitter nostalgiafag.
>>
>>385828679
>better Zelda titles from the past
Lol
>>
>>385828616
but OoT was just like ALTTP in a matter of content and design, just in 3D instead of top-view 2D

Even the puzzles in dungeons are very, very similar (shoot the eye to unlock a door, bomb a wall, push a block, get the keys and boss key, get a gimmicky gear and defeat the boss, get a heart piece etc)
>>
>>385828676
This is why people laugh at NVfags
>>
>>385828679

I think BotW does a better job creating a world I want to spend time in than any previous 3D Zelda has. You can say it's looking for the same shit every time and I don't disagree, but that's been the case every time thus far in the context of EVERY title that preceded this one. Except now your mobility options outside of the water have drastically improved, and you're not railroaded to hit areas in a certain order in any capacity.

Fuck you, I'll compare it to every 3D Zelda that came before it, and BotW will come out on top.
>>
>>385828852

>deflecting into criticism of another game because you know I'm right

imao
>>
>>385828418
define empty anon

cause every tree is cuteable, there are enemies everywere
>>
>>385827641
pretty good pic m8
>>
Almost 5 months of immense asshurt.

Will the BotW being GOTY assblast ever be quelled?
>>
The game has flaws yes, all games do.

But it took a new direction for what was honestly becoming a stale series and it paid.

I don't think it fully loved up to its potential, but it set a great foundation to build from.
>>
>>385828798
it gets old after 60-70 shrines, you start to notice some of the puzzles repeat themselves with subtle changes, and the several "a test of strenght" rooms

would work better as separate, bigger, themed dungeons like we had it before
>>
The older Zelda games were so much better.
I like the part where you shoot a boss in the eye with an arrow three times. BOTW simply can't compete.
>>
>>385829106
Never
>>
>>385829023
now that's a quality shitpost, congratulations anon
>>
>>385827641
That's a pretty good picture.

Mario Sunshine is fun to run around in but the lack of levels really hampers the game. It could really use at least 3 more big levels.
>>
File: evidence.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
evidence.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>385829307
thanks for using a strawman and not proving me wrong
>>
>>385829243
>Lynels
>stasis + arrow in the head + bash it with a random weapon
>repeat for like 15 times
>done

>Hinox
>arrow in the eye
>bash him while he's stunned
>done

>Molduga
>wait until it jumps
>shock arrow
>bash it while it's stunned
>done

>guardians
>mash Y to break all of its legs
>keep pushing Y
>done

>Tallus
>arrow in the ore deposit
>mash it with Y while he's stunned
>done

>Dragons
>oh, they're not even bosses at all because devs had to rush the game

>Divine Beast bosses
>arrow in the head to make them fall
>come closer and mash Y
>done

>final Ganon
>stand still, don't even bother using the horse
>wait until the glowing spots appear
>shoot infinite arrows
>credits roll

Yeah, BotW had so much innovation in boss fights, awesome
>>
>>385829641
>why even bother with shield surfing when you have either a horse or revali's gale a bit later in the game
>>
>>385825741
no it is in my mind the perfect zelda engine and world
the only legitimate problems with the game were the lack of proper dungeons,bosses and items and maybe the instant heals instead of something like monster hunter
I feel that if we get a second zelda title on the switch using the same engine it could be contender to take the zelda crown
>>
>>385829120

More like they said fuck it to story, narrative, pacing, design and just relegated 95% of the overworld content to things that took no time to actually develop because its all rehashes on what you do the entire game.

>see how far you can paraglide
>paraglide and shoot the cysts off a dragon
>paragliding minigame
>fetch quests up the ass

The game is solid but once you've seen the first 10%, you've seen what the entire rest of the game is about. The honeymoon period is the strongest part of BotW but it never tries to impress and actually create a unique take on open world. Worst is, people see the freeform opening and style of the game as "intelligent design." Encouraging the player to go out and forge their own story or whatever, when the game is so shallow that you can't ever discuss BotW with other players because you both know that you pretty much had the same experiences other than whatever wacky hijinks you had trying to smack a crate into an enemy or leafing him off a cliff. There's no branching paths to talk about, there's no NPCs with memorable quotes, there's no skills or abilities to learn combat wise (divine beast powers don't count), there's no actual interesting items to collect after the opening and upgrades are relegated to collectathons, there's no satisfying conclusion with the abysmal final boss. Yet people say the exploration makes up for all these things, which quite frankly rubs me worse than people who just shitpost about the game.
>>
>>385830414
Pretty much this. I stopped having "wow this is a great Zelda" moments of initial passion a while after I left Great Plateau and started making side quests to get to the main objectives

It's good but it's better if you enjoy it at a quick burst, once you get past 40h it's hard to keep enjoying it as much as you did in the first hours
>>
>>385826962
>ANOTHER thread to discuss the "flaws" of botw

that's the point retard
>>
How many more months are we gonna get these assblasted threads? I feel like it may extend into 2018 at this rate.
>>
File: 1501535146124.jpg (38KB, 481x358px) Image search: [Google]
1501535146124.jpg
38KB, 481x358px
>>385825741
>it's not a good [franchise] game because it doesn't follow the standard formula
By your logic Zelda 2 also isn't a true Zelda game because it's so drastically different compared to its predecessor. By your logic OoT is a shitty Zelda game because it's a 3D game instead of a top down 2D Zelda.
>>
>>385825741
it's interesting to see /v/ finally accept that this was a 10/10 masterpiece of the decade, possibly of all time.

of course the collective can't just give anything away, for now it's attached to the suggestion that it's a "great game but a shitty zelda" because it innovated.

in time it will come to be accepted as the master stroke that started the switch onto it's path of reclaiming Nintendo's legacy.
>>
>>385825741
Not really. If was unbranded, it wouldn't have the nostalgia charm for a lot of people.

As a game, its very mediocre because it lacks a lot of things outside the "cool" engine.
>>
>>385827110
Best gameplay in the series yet hated by nostalgic fanboys?
>>
>>385831058

I mean, what else are you going to talk about. Link's boipus? Whether you'd fuck the fish or the bird? Korok seeds?
>>
at this point everybody has played, enjoyed, and moved on... except for the neets who spend all their money on figurines and can't afford a switch.

why does this continue?
>>
>>385831298

YA HA HA
>>
>>385827110
>hyped as fuck
>shit
>its name brand so people defend it
>later on it becomes apparent how bad it is
>people with cognitive dissonance and fags who like Link still defend it
>>
>>385830192
Yeah anon, why even bother having fun.
>>
>>385825910
Shadow of Mordor is a shit game AND shit LotR
>>
So you're saying a 10/10 Zelda game transcends a 10/10 rating
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.