[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Make real time action combat system with lots of quirks and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 280
Thread images: 36

File: Dragon_s_dogma_logo_stacked.png (1MB, 1000x881px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_s_dogma_logo_stacked.png
1MB, 1000x881px
>Make real time action combat system with lots of quirks and mechanics.
>Make battles almost completely dependant on stats making said combat system redundant.

How can you fuck up such an important aspect in an ARPG? Dark Souls is hardly perfect in this regard but at least there is a semblance of balance between the Action and the RPG.
>>
im glad that people finally got over the flashy animations and are starting to call the game out on this
>>
File: 1475897973841.png (830KB, 941x649px) Image search: [Google]
1475897973841.png
830KB, 941x649px
>>385807958
>Comparing Dragons Dogma with le Dark Souls
If you want to play an action game go play an action game. Don't shit up Dragons Dogma with your terrible opinions.
>>
>>385807958

>making said combat system redundant.

But it doesn't.
>>
>make battles almost completely dependant on stats

Stats do not matter much at all except maybe hp gains. Equipment trumps stats over so much. The difference between someone who trained their stats until 200 and someone who didn't give a fuck until 200 is only a couple of hits, on a boss, in a game with already fast paced combat.
>>
>>385808219
Maybe not *redundant*, but you've gotta admit that designing a complex combat system and then tying everything to stats is pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>385807958
It doesn't make it redundant, as enemies have weaknesses you can exploit for much faster kills. Not just statistical weaknesses.
>>
>>385808239

My god 'stats' is obviously just a shorthand for all game features that numerically affect the strength of your character, including equipment, how much of a pedant do you have to be to say this
>>
File: 1481432720659.jpg (43KB, 399x314px) Image search: [Google]
1481432720659.jpg
43KB, 399x314px
>>385808373
it's just numbers bro, every weapon in every video game has numbers
>>
>>385808239
>Equipment trumps stats over so much.

Since when does equipment not have stats?
>>
>>385807958
>Dark Souls
>balance
>can get 1-2 shot by anything
>have to cheese game with roll spam and spec stamina
>muh difficulty

I even cheated my souls once to get unlimited souls, leveled up all the way to the max, upped every stat to the max, made no difference, especially in endgame. Dark Souls isn't an RPG, at least Dogma allows you to actually gain actual power thru the levels, like an ACTUAL RPG, not some rogue-like that fancies itself a dark fantasy RPG like Souls.
>>
>>385808297
>tying everything to stats

As far as I can tell the only thing stats do is decide how much damage you deal and your total HP and stamina. Half your damage comes from your equipment and defense is all equipment. Basically, being "under-leveled" just means make sure you don't get hit and you have to hit them more before they do, the actual mechanics of combat never changes.
>>
>>385808510
>Dark Souls isn't an RPG, at least Dogma allows you to actually gain actual power thru the levels, like an ACTUAL RPG.

Except Dark Souls actually does have a shitload of stuff you can't use until you reach the proper stat requirements.
>>
>>385808564
>Basically, being "under-leveled" just means make sure you don't get hit and you have to hit them more before they do

Yeah what the fuck else would it mean.
>>
>>385809213

Well it seems the OP is implying it's not possible to fight something that is out of your stat range because stats is all that matters. I'm saying that's not true, it just means you have to avoid being hit because you won't survive many of them. The game gives you plenty of ways to avoid attacks and, as far as I remember, none are dependent on stats.
>>
>>385807958
>waaaaah videogame has numbers!
>meanwhlie Dark Souls is literally "roll three times, hit three times, a hundred times"
>>
>>385807958
What an idiotic argument.
>waah why are there stats in RPG
Pft.
I've played the entirety of game switching vocations left and right and being fashionista whole way through, my stats were all over the fucking place and i had no significant troubles at any given time as any vocation. The only exception would be the retarded Death which requires periapt no matter were minmaxing like an autist or not, and Daimon, which is the same story, so it's practically irrelevant.
>>
>>385809443
>Well it seems the OP is implying it's not possible to fight something that is out of your stat range because stats is all that matters. I'm saying that's not true

You could but nobody in their right mind would. Try going to Bitterblack Isle early game and you'll see its simply not a matter of "getting good", the game completely cockblocks you with damage output that's so miniscule it might as well be 0. The vanilla game will also pretty much never put you in a situation were you need to actually play skillfully, you're either the right level or you're not. Only playing Dark Arisen end game has the game force you to actually pay attention.

90% of DD is simply a game that will never challenge you, you have an arsenal of abilities and tools you never have to use, not unlike MGSV. The game's Hard Mode could've fixed this, but it's an absolute joke and clearly just meant to be New Game +.
>>
>>385807958
At least this game actually is an RPG unlike Dark Souls, and it's not the stats that make it so. It's the story driven decision making.
>>
File: 1494592957524.png (56KB, 1037x628px) Image search: [Google]
1494592957524.png
56KB, 1037x628px
>bla bla bla something something I don't like thing
>something something duck souce
>>
>>385810160
People do level 10 Bitterblack Isle runs all the time, that place is abundant with throwblasts, Just gotta get crafty yo.
>>
>>385810160
>The game's Hard Mode could've fixed this, but it's an absolute joke and clearly just meant to be New Game +
I'm playing Dragons Dogma for the first time in a few years and I'm doing a regular newgame in Hard difficulty, and it's actually pretty fun.
>>
>>385810160
>Try going to Bitterblack Isle early game and you'll see its simply not a matter of "getting good"
This is the absolute extreme though, Bitterblack Isle is supposed to be bullshit. The enemies there abuse buffs and defenses are you are expected to as well.

>The vanilla game will also pretty much never put you in a situation were you need to actually play skillfully, you're either the right level or you're not.
It's called hard mode. Even the goblins outside Cassardis can one shot you if you don't know how to play defensively and if the only reason you ever managed to beat normal mode was because you relied on being overlevelled you are going to get your ass handed to you. Even on normal there's a bit of a nasty hump after reaching Gran Soren when the game is going to send you to places like Bloodwater Beach where, unless you grinded out levels early on because you are a faggot that relies on being overlevelled, you are probably going to find stat based brute force is not going to get your through.
>>
>>385810987
>It's called hard mode. Even the goblins outside Cassardis can one shot you if you don't know how to play defensively.

Hard Mode is only actually hard in the beginning, you'll quickly get a shitton of XP and the game is a cakewalk again.
>>
>>385811184
This. Giving more xp and money is the best part about hard mode.
>>
>>385811184

It's at it's hardest when you first start, then it gets easier as the levelling bonuses outpace the enemy levels, then it gets harder again as you get to the new difficulty humps and it stays fairly challenging for the most part from then on because equipment stats are supposed to mean more than character stats by that stage and they don't get the same bonus. For most of a hard mode play through you will be playing defensively.
>>
>>385808510
>Dark Souls isn't an RPG
>implying that's a bad thing
>>
I hear the magic system in this game is incredible, but I just started and I'm not seeing it. Is that actually true or just fanboys trying to sell something that isn't there?
>>
>>385811709
Seeing as how all these casuals think they're hot shit for beating it, yeah, it's a bad thing. Because then you'll get faggots like OP trying to compare it to everything.
>>
>not wanting stats to matter in an Action RPG

The fuck?
>>
>>385811763
You have to become a Sorcerer, Mage is the most boring vocation in the game.
>>
>>385811816
Both Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls are Real Time Action RPG's with a heavy focus on Combat with gear and stats. They are comparable.

You're just an idiot with a kneejerk reaction who thinks anybody that mentions Dark Souls are saying every game should be like that.
>>
>>385807958
>I'm bad at the game and need to grind to win combat against npcs in an action game
Holy shit what?
>>
File: i have see some shit.jpg (41KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
i have see some shit.jpg
41KB, 1024x576px
>>385807958
The combat system sucks to be honest.
People like to suck off DD as a second coming of RPG's (me included) but that's honestly only because the game had so much POTENTIAL.

If DD2 becomes a thing i would like it to not have Mass Effect tier skill progression.
>>
>>385811763

It looks pretty but personally I didn't think it was that fun to actually play with either. It's mostly just standing at the back like a sitting duck hoping nothing interrupts you.
>>
>>385811894
Actually, people complaining want both Action and RPG to matter in DD, not just the RPG part.
>>
>>385811816
What's it like being so new that you have to type out stale memes unknowingly?
Are you 15?
>>
>>385812042
Dragons Dogma is much more fun than Dark Souls, though
>>
>>385812042
>Games have nothing to do with each other besides having action influences no, Dark Souls is not an RPG
>Heavy focus on combat
Using that same dumbass logic, we can compare Bayonetta and Dragons Dogma too, no? Hell, Grand Theft Auto and Dragons Dogma both are open world, so why don't we compare them? Some iterations of Pong use a controller, so why don't we compare the two?
Two games sharing one or two particular traits does not make them comparable.
>>
File: dd o.jpg (145KB, 459x637px) Image search: [Google]
dd o.jpg
145KB, 459x637px
>>
>>385807958
>offering an incentive to find or buy better gear
>offering an incentive to level up
>offering an incentive to explot enemy weaknesses

If you could kill everything with ease early on, what's the point?
>>
File: 1483991276776.gif (1MB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
1483991276776.gif
1MB, 300x226px
>>385812398
I fucking hate Capcom.
Can we please burn their office down and kill all the upper management staff?
>>
>>385811763
The system I'd never tout as incredibly, it just fucking looks cool and has some pretty clever gimmicks related to elements.
>>
>>385812042
The only important numbers in dark souls are attack rating, health, stamina, stability (if using a shield), attunement/FP (if casting) and poise (only really big in 1)

The nice thing about the game is that the starting amounts of health and stamina are enough to beat the game in its entirety. Elemental infusions (and raw in 3) let you get high enough AR to kill everything even if you never level up

You're lying to yourself if you think there isn't an ocean of difference in the importance and accessibility of raw numerical advantage of equipment and stats in dks vs DD. Doing an SL1 run using pyromancy is barely harder than doing a regular run, the only difference is you have to manage stamina more carefully and the ring of favor is even more attractive.

A level one naked character in dark souls can punch every boss to death with their bare hands, it takes quite a while but it's nothing like the scaling in DD. That makes it more of an action game with RPG elements than a pure RPG but that's hardly a bad thing.

Dogma's combat system would be even more fun if it wasn't tied so heavily to gear and numbers. It's the single player equivalent of the welcome bear in MMOs
>>
>>385812580
>what's the point
having fun and getting good, just like souls/bloodborne.

Would much prefer if the game was less about getting +stats to get stronger and more about expanding your combat options (Dragon's Dogma Online lets all classes have 8 custom skills equipped for fuck's sake and it's a warframe-tier grindfest).

Instead of a level 20 character being the same as a 200 character but with less numbers I'd prefer something like if 50 was the max level and the rest of your 'progression' was attaining new attacks/attack slots/maneuvers/augments/whatever.
>>
>>385812814
So basically you think progression is bad. That unless you can beat a game at lv1 with starter gear it's bad.
Brilliant.
>>
>>385812392
>Using that same dumbass logic, we can compare Bayonetta and Dragons Dogma too, no?

Sure, you could say both Bayonetta and Dragons Dogma has some similar mechanics such as pause combos. Which sets the combat apart from Dark Souls.

I just compared Dragons Dogma to Bayonetta and Dark Souls your faggot ass can do nothing to stop me. You can draw comparisons with anything no matter how dumb you think it is.
>>
>>385813106
horizontal progression is almost always better than extreme vertical progression, especially when it comes to action combat games.
>>
>>385807958
>stats
>mattering at all until BBI
>>
>>385813106
That's not what he said at all you hyperbolic fucking dumbass.
>>
>>385808130
I've seen people saying this for a long time now. They are just forced to deal with a circlejerk of extremely dedicated fans spamming IT DOESN'T MATTER in face of any criticism.
>>
>>385813086
>having fun and getting good, just like souls/bloodborne.

Fun is subjective.
In the souls games and bloodborne gear barely matters, so it's basically just cosmetic or to increase your dps a bit. Combat is also extremely simplistic and most encounters boil down to the exact same thing, using the exact same tactics.

The only good part of the combat in the souls games is the sense of danger (you and the enemy can die fairly easily), but that's it. Mechanically they're borderline shit.
Also the sense of character progression is terrible. By the end of Bloodborne I felt no different from when I started. I played the game in basically the same way all the way through.
>>
>>385813467
>every game should ONLY be circling around your enemy's back and attacking 3 times before rolling away, just like Dark Souls
>>
>>385812814

I don't understand. You talk about how Dark Souls is good because you get enough to beat the game as long as you rely on gear and then criticize DD because it's tied heavily to gear.

>Doing an SL1 run using pyromancy is barely harder than doing a regular run
This is only true if you level up the pyromancy flame and even then you are only going to squeeze by if you run past every enemy and only attack bosses because otherwise you will just run out of attacks. To say that this is what makes Dark Souls a good game is just stupid. The fact that enemies are so fucking inconsequential and you can just run past them is a flaw with the game, not something to praise.

I mean, this is seriously mind-boggling to me. There are people who actually praise the bad aspects of the Souls games as if they are the best parts of it.
>>
>>385808130
>im glad that people finally got over the flashy animations and are starting to call the game out on this

When will /v/ start waking up to all the problems the soulsborne games have? So far they're still in dreamland.
>>
>>385813526
>strawmanning so hard you start looking like a drooling retard
Impressive
>>
>>385813627
not an argument
>>
>>385807958
I hate how the damage/defense system works: Defense is just a flat reduction
You go too quickly from dealing next to no damage to an enemy to flat out instakilling them
>>
I have bought this game four fucking times. Once for the initial release, once for Dark Arisen, once for a friend and then another for the PC release.

I will be buying it a fifth time for the PS4/Xbone release.

I would like a sequel or DDO ported to the west, but I honestly don't see that happening. I will keep buying this game.
>>
>>385813106
Progression is fine. Dark Souls has plenty of character progression and a max level character is obviously much stronger in every way than a level 1 character.

The appeal comes from the fact that once you've improved as a player, you don't need a tricked out character to beat the game. This is the "git gud" that's been memed to death since prepare to die edition came out. People do this with every game, it's not like it's restricted to just action RPGs.

Games like Thief or Dishonored have entire communities built around intentionally ignoring all the lethal options in order to do ghost playthroughs where not only are they entirely pacifist, they're never even seen by enemies. People try to beat isometric RPGs without using any party members, do melee only builds in shooters, etc.

There's a common arc in mastering a lot of games where you start off not knowing what you're doing, find out what's strongest and maximize that, then once you're good enough just run around using whatever you think is coolest or most fun. It's the difference between some tryhard with the drake sword and hollow soldier waistcloth, and someone in full Catarina set dancing around with the channeler's trident. Chances are the guy running around doing stupid silly shit is the better player because he's gotten to the point he can afford to.

Even after you've "gotten gud" at dragon's dogma, you're still reliant on gear to an annoying degree. More player choice and variety is hardly a bad thing.

Mandatory character progression is just content gating
>>
>>385814019
Maybe RPGs are just not for you, then
>>
>>385813203
DD is not "extreme vertical" in any conceivable way though. As i already shared my experience, i wasn't minmaxing in the slightest and went full fashion>stats all the way through.
It's not early jrpg\early wizardry by even most wild and ridiculous stretch.
>>
File: 2016-01-24_00036.jpg (408KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-24_00036.jpg
408KB, 1680x1050px
>Play DD
>love it
>turns out that there are no other games providing similar experience

Its not fair, I say. NOT FAIR!
>>
>>385813531
In dark souls you can infuse almost any weapon and use it for the entire game, you can also only just run past everything once you know the zone and its layout well enough to get through. Having to kill every enemy every time you went through would be miserable, I don't know anyone that fights every random enemy in any game.

2 attunement slots is plenty to kill every enemy and reach the boss gate and nearest bonfire, at which point you should be resting and running to the fog. Who kills enemies when doing a boss run, besides capra demon and smelter demon in 2 I can't think of many off the top of my head where enemies are unavoidable
>>
For anyone interested in what Warrior could've been with some tweaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiafEVI9R0

As for the long kill time that boss is meant to be fought with a party of 4. As you can see Warrior now has a bunch of tools to absorb/hyper armour straight through damage if they play correctly.
>>
>>385814019
>The appeal comes from the fact that once you've improved as a player

Let's be honest here, the Souls games are incredibly generous with things like utterly retarded enemy AI, i-frames, etc. You aren't so much as "gitting gud" as you are just noticing the horrendous flaws in the system and exploiting them. When you play the Souls games "as they are meant to be played" then they are good fun and a decent challenge, when you cheese it, which is incredibly easy to do given all the issues, they are 99% a cakewalk.
>>
File: squish.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
squish.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>385814380
there's one other game
>>
Game would geniunely been more fun as an Action Adventure game with light RPG elements.

Could have cut stat growth/boosting almost completely and just focused on balancing the combat to make it more engaging. Vocation leveling to buy new skills could stay, since it wouldn't fuck with the balance too much; have equipment come with very small stat boosts to please Better Gear "dopamine releases" People.

Do the same thing with Witcher 3 while we're at it.
>>
I do enjoy Dark Souls where there are RPG elements, but it's not say Nioh where you go from doing 100 damage to 100k. I don't think Dragon's Dogma's stats really get crazy like that, but I will say that its implementation of defense is particularly annoying. In that, if your offense doesn't outright beat the enemy's defense, you basically just deal no damage. You either fight it for eternity to chip it to death 1 damage at a time, or get a bigger number to throw at their number. Which is where a lot of the complaints come from, I'd imagine.
>>
>>385814592
>just a boring hit trading
yawn
aside from yellow classes, dd's combat mechanics are just a putrid shit
>>
>>385814664

Knowing Asians, it probably comes with rootkit. And I would still need to get around langauge and regional lock.
>>
>>385812398
That sounds rad tho. climbing on giant dragons with 39 other people
>>
File: Wall Scouts roll out.webm (3MB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
Wall Scouts roll out.webm
3MB, 850x478px
>>385814820
Seeker is even crazier than Strider
>>
>have to buy dodge roll
O-okay...
>>
>>385814019
>Mandatory character progression is just content gating

This is the problem right here, you think that needing a specific thing is a negative. That it doesn't matter what armor you have, what weapon you have, what tactic you employ, etc.

You most likely think that total freedom is a positive as well, which is a common misconception.

The problem is that you think that Dark Souls is a collection of great game design, when in fact most of it is flawed or down-right bad.

You see in say the Dark Souls games bosses or enemies can typically just be killed either by backstabbing them or mashing the attack button until their HP bars reaches 0. In Dragon's Dogma however there are for example enemies like the golems that require you to attack specific key points on their bodies, you can't employ the same tactic that you've used against every other enemy. This is a restriction that makes it more interesting. Restrictions makes choices more meaningful.

In say Bloodborne gear basically does not matter at all to the point where they might as well not even have it. To you this is a positive freedom because you're not "forced" to adapt, but all it does is make the game more boring because in the end it doesn't matter.

In fact DD is far more of an RPG than Dark Souls and Bloodborne are. You instead want something more akin to a hack n slash.
>>
>>385814192
No, I love RPGs. I'm allowed to enjoy games like morrowind, mass effect, dragon age, deus ex, baldurs gate, nwn, etc. while still being able to recognize that dragons dogma has faults that don't make it as fun as it could be.

Having linear progression of weapons like am MMO is not needed in a single player video game. It doesn't feel fun to have a sword do ten damage, have trouble with an enemy, then get a sword that does a hundred damage and have the fight be trivialized. I'd rather have two swords that do different things that are good in different conditions

Inability to accept criticism of a flawed but fun game doesn't do you any good. You don't have to imply I'm somehow unable to enjoy an entire genre just because you're such a massive faggot you can't handle a different opinion
>>
>>385809147
You clearly have no idea what the role of equipment in RPGs is, let alone what an RPG even is.

This is the industry today, Fallout 1/2 compared to 3/4. Two of those are RPGs, the other two are FPS. I can guarantee you don't know the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtsN-NRqwM
>>
>>385815096
>No, I love RPGs. I'm allowed to enjoy games like morrowind, mass effect, dragon age, deus ex, baldurs gate, nwn, etc. while still being able to recognize that dragons dogma has faults that don't make it as fun as it could be.

Several of those games "gatekeep" you as well.
>>
>>385807958
>Make battles almost completely dependent on stats
False. The speed and ease of battles depend on gear, skills, weakness exploitation, positioning and consumables.
Stats without appropriate skills make you a retard in certain scenarios. Additionally, you can't just waltz through enemies with one skill, because some areas will just have enemies that are strong to it.
Enemy weakpoints and weaknesses exist. Not exploiting them is asking the game to make fights longer.
Positioning is key, especially for mages. What's that, you suddenly have 4 Garms on your ass at the Forgotten Hall and can't cast anything because they just leap and drag you? Stand atop that fucking lion statue or platform and spam your magic in relative safety.
Consumables have been pointed out by countless anons to be helpful in this game. Throwblasts, Periapts, etc. become necessary in harder areas, especially when your character is at a low level. Not making the most out of them worsens your experience.

Dark Souls has a lot more weapon, magic and gear choices but doesn't offer a lot outside that. The combat is the same attack/dodge/parry/riposte memery. You can't even grab a parried opponent and drop them off a cliff. You can't grab onto the fucking Bed of Chaos' appendages as it swings by or hang onto the Ancient Dragon's body. Regular jumps looked dumber when more weapon skills became available on DS3 that contained exaggerated jump animations. There's hardly any balance at all.
>>
>>385815096
It's funny how you try and claim others are close-minded when you're the one living in a bubble.
>>
>>385814820

They are parries. You have a move called brace that puts you in a defensive stance for a brief moment and reduces damage. You also have an upgraded form of Exodus Slash from the original game which is what he does throughout the fight to parry the attack. Probably new skills too since I played DDO. Looks like you can directly opt to go into a charged slash from a brace which is nice.
>>
>>385807958
>Dark Souls is hardly perfect in this regard but

But nothing. Stats don't matter at all in Dark Souls.
>>
>>385815069
>In fact DD is far more of an RPG than Dark Souls and Bloodborne are

This is where the disagreement stems from I think. Personally I (and the others replying to you) find DD to be an action game where the RPG elements hinder it. Whereas you see it as a RPG functioning as they generally tend to.
>>
>>385814383
>having to actually play the game would be miserable
sounds like a bad game
>>
This mentality that "Well that's just how RPG's are" is really a mentality that needs to fucking die.

Genres exist for a reason, it's blueprints that work, but you should NEVER be a slave to the blueprints. Especially when you're mixing genres like DD is. Dragon's Dogma, Nioh and the Witcher 3 are all games with fullblown real time combat, but since they're selling themselves as ARPG's they carry this baggage that the game simply needs to have a noticable vertical progression system, which completely clashes with the skill-based horizontal progression.
>>
>>385815096
>He doesn't know about rusted weapons
LMAO
>>
>>385815560
>But nothing. Stats don't matter at all in Dark Souls

That's just completely untrue because certain builds and weapons just completely crushes the game.
>>
>>385815570
Stats actually matter in DD, unlike in Soulsborne
>>
>>385815570
This is becauseyou try and play it as an action game and in your mind this is an action game. But it's very much an RPG like say Baldurs Gate.
There's far more roleplaying in DD than in Dark Souls and not just in character building and combat. You claiming that it would've been better to remove or severely tone down the RPG aspects would basically mean to remove over half the game.

Bloodborne on the other hand is basically an action game where the RPG aspects make very little sense. Bloodborne has even fewer strategies avaliable to you than in Dark Souls. Bloodborne boils down to dodging, R1 spam and maybe some "parrying" with the gun. This is how you beat every single enemy in the game. This isn't even me dumbing things down, this is because your options are extremely limited (no blocking, ranged isn't good, magic is nonexistant, etc).
This makes for a far more shallow and bland experience. What made Bloodborne good was absolutely not the combat mechanics or RPG aspects, those are in fact the weakest parts of the game.
>>
>>385815938
Gear progression is fun and gives you something to work toward, absolute freedom in a videogame is not a good thing.
>>
>>385816073
Making something easy even easier means very little. You don't need to employ specific tactics or weapons, this is why most people just pick 1 weapon like Ludwig's and stick to it all game through.
>>
File: Original_Plans_2.jpg (85KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Original_Plans_2.jpg
85KB, 960x720px
>>385816163
>combat is the weakest part of bloodborne

I think you would be in an extremely small minority with that opinion.
>>
>>385816316
Your personal opinion on the difficulty is irrelevant. Stats and gear objectively does affect the games difficulty.
>>
>>385815938
Do you think level scaling in Fallout 3 and similar games is a good thing? Most likely not.
However you and that other guy thinks that you should be able to run around naked with a club and beat anything you come across with "skill" otherwise it's a bad game.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with restrictions in game. In fact some of the best designed games use a ton of well implemented restrictions.
>>
>>385816225
>Gear progression is fun and gives you something to work toward

You can have that without being ridicously dependant on it.
>>
>>385816546
Fortunately, DD is not ridiculously dependant on gear.
>>
>>385816163
>it's very much an RPG like say Baldurs Gate.

Another anon here, let's cut the bullshit, game *has* RPG elements to it, but the meat of the game remains the combat, and it is at its core an action game.

The saddest thing for me is how there's such an interesting core to the games but mechanics keep going at cross purpose. Like, say, the stamina/food mechanic being made completely irrelevant by leveling-up refilling your stamina. It's sad how you *can* beat enemies that are way over your level, but it doesn't take much skill, just some huge HP sponge you have to suffer for way too long.

Basically, I think there's a really good game in there, but it needs to make a choice, and I think getting rid of stat progression for combat, while tracking more stats for social stuff and other interaction would be the way to go.
To each their own I guess.
>>
>>385816542
>However you and that other guy thinks that you should be able to run around naked with a club and beat anything you come across with "skill" otherwise it's a bad game.

In an ARPG yes absolutely, otherwise the point of an in-depth combat system is moot. You're throwing pearls to swine.
>>
>>385816395
>just roll, parry and mash the attack button
it's incredibly simple and shallow
>>
File: ss-114.jpg (743KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss-114.jpg
743KB, 1920x1080px
>>385816395
>I think you would be in an extremely small minority with that opinion.

Are you telling me that the combat system in Bloodborne is deep? There aren't even any combos, nor does it punish you for spamming R1 until your stamina runs out.

Nioh proved just how bad the combat in Dark Souls and Bloodborne actually is.
>>
>>385816546
DD is not ridiculously dependent on gear though, gear barely even matters until BBI postgame and even there just a fully upgraded level 1 BBI weapon (which is not at all hard to get) can take you through the entirety of the content. As for armor you can literally just fashion > stats the entire way through.
>>
>>385815560
This. It doesn't matter how many hit points you have or how much poise you are stacking as long as you can perfectly execute every roll, parry and backstab and never ever make mistakes ever.
>>
>>385815938

Souls is not a skill-based horizontal progression, it's a knowledge-based horizontal progression. Some would argue there's little difference between the two but I disagree. The distinction between the two is the first time you enter a new area in a Souls game you are paranoid about what's around the corner, when you replay that area there is zero tension because actually beating what's around that corner is rarely the issue. It's just knowing what's there.

There are very few times in the Souls games where the game actually requires the player to be very tight with their timing, e.g. Smough and Ornstein, Fume Knight, etc., most of the time it's "Do you wait for a safer window of opportunity to attack or risk it now?" That's not a test of skill, it's a test of patience.
>>
>>385816464
>Your personal opinion on the difficulty is irrelevant. Stats and gear objectively does affect the games difficulty.

This has nothing to do with opinions. The point is that there is absolutely no reason to use specific weapons or builds in Bloodborne. What you use and how you fight never matters. Stats and gears are superfluous.
>>
>>385814019
I agree with you. it's mandatory in DD to have to keep upgrading your gear constantly otherwise you're going to fall off soo bad. one of the reasons I didn't stick to the game.
>>
>>385817082
It's pretty clear that you've never actually played the game if you think that gear even matters until postgame
>>
File: 1497290912172.jpg (41KB, 415x440px) Image search: [Google]
1497290912172.jpg
41KB, 415x440px
>>385807958
>>Make battles almost completely dependant on stats making said combat system redundant.
Bullshit. I beat this game on Hard the first time I played it. Beat the dragons while under-leveled and also the super bosses in Bitterblack Isle too.

There isn't one time I could come to /v/ and not not find a scrub trying to shit on a game with nothing but bullshit arguments. Git gud nigga. Change your approach. Think a little bit. Use that brain for something.
>>
>>385816692
You're just falling back on your own circular logic here. You're not trying to discuss anything here, only hear yourself talk.
Why even bother with you at this point when you're not even listening to what is being said and you ignore over half of what other people are saying.
>>
>>385807958

Just because stats are important doesn't mean you can just sit back and let the game play itself. Low stats do make some encounters near impossible, but high stats don't make you invincible either.

I'd say the main problems with DD are 1) lack of content after a (fairly short) while and 2) imbalanced level progression, e.g. lots of content becomes trivial too quickly

"redundancy" makes no sense here
>>
>>385817072
>This has nothing to do with opinions. The point is that there is absolutely no reason to use specific weapons or builds in Bloodborne.

You literally said yourself most people pick Ludvig's Blade and stick to it.
>>
>>385816692
>stats are bad because I don't like them!
>it should be a mindless hack and slash like Soulsborne!
no
>>
>>385817257

Anyone else mentioned how Stamina is basically irrelevant in DD?
>>
>>385816810

>nioh

/v/ has a real knack for being hipsters by simply shilling for games that are less than popular

/v/ circlejerked the shit out of souls (i would have never heard of it if not for /v/ shilling) before it got popular at which point many here decided it was shit. pretty sad really.
>>
Imagine if dark souls had dragons dogma combat ;o
Now imagine if dragons dogma had dark souls combat._.
>>
>>385817464
The problem here is that Dragon's Dogma combat is mindless friendo. At least until BBI anyway.
>>
>>385816757
>In an ARPG yes absolutely, otherwise the point of an in-depth combat system is moot. You're throwing pearls to swine.

This is some wierd idea you have. That if it has action combat "only skill should matter". Why?

DD is a mix of both. In fact how you use your skills and how you fight your enemies is in fact far more important than in say Bloodborne. Exploiting specific enemy weaknesses is important in DD while pretty much nonexistant in Bloodborne.

Fighting a cyclops in DD is far more interesting than fighting say the Bloodstarved Beast in Bloodborne. You can use elemental weaknesses, you can topple it by attacking the legs, you can make it remove any headprotection it has by climbing on top of it and banging the helmet, you can fire arrows at the eye, etc.
What kind of interactions does the Bloodstarved Beast have? None, apart from whacking it over and over and a slight weakness to fire (if I remember correctly). The former is just a normal enemy while the latter is a boss.
Skill and knowledge is more of a thing in DD than you claim.
>>
>>385817597
Not nearly as mindless as Soulsborne, where every single enemy can be defeated in the exact same way. Different enemies in DD have to be fought in different ways, like Golems only being vulnerable at certain focuses on their body and Cyclopes often needing you to get their helmet off to deal good damage to them.
>>
>I watched Joseph Anderson and want to parrot his opinion

It's a good game, the combat is fun, and the stats keep you from doing content to early. Either way I never had an issue with the stats, the game is well balanced with exception to a few specific areas. These areas are only unbalanced if you don't understand the game or are not paying attention.

This whole thread is bait though, mainly because you're bringing up Dark Souls. The two games aren't comparable, and aren't even that similar except they both have swords and dragons.
>>
>>385817464

That's not what I'm saying. I like stats, I'm just thinking having a game that has such a focus in physicality within its interaction schemes (the weight of bodies, their collisions, light, hunger) and then making all said interactions basically meaningless because of stat-scaling is a waste.

End game DD and the beginning are two completely different games really. And I much prefer what the game had going at the start. It felt like a fresh and unique take on an old mold.
Again, to each their own.
>>
>>385817709
Problem is that in DD you don't need to do that shit at all, the Golem being an exception.

I didn't need to fucking cut the tail of the chimera or blind the cyclops, I just hit stuff until it died and it took me maybe a few second longer. I didn't play crafty because the game didn't need me to be crafty.
>>
>>385817427
>You literally said yourself most people pick Ludvig's Blade and stick to it.

Because it's easy to use and straightforward. Since the game basically boils down to R1 spam just pick a weapon without some wierd R1 spam. It's not several enemies eventually has massive resistance towards slashing where I have to consider using a completely different weapon or strategy. So you just use the same weapon all the way through since you're never required to change up your strategy or gear. To make matters worse the stat req for the weapon is very lenient so you can basically just pump up the rest of your stats into HP and stamina.
I mean fuck, they even removed carry weight in Bloodborne so there's even less to think about what you carry and use, as well as stat building.

You might think that's amazing freedom, but to me that's boring as hell since I never have to think about what I'm using or skilling.
>>
>>385817824
>This whole thread is bait
True. A combat system can't be redundant if if had a lot of quirks and mechanics. The only way for it to become redundant is by ignoring those quirks and mechanics.
>>
>>385818015
You do toward the beginning of the game and even later in the game you should do that if you want to get the encounter over with fast. Plus the Prisoner Gorecyclops are endgame enemies that require this if you don't want to be fighting it for 20 minutes
>>
File: 1484645638391.jpg (88KB, 622x562px) Image search: [Google]
1484645638391.jpg
88KB, 622x562px
>>385817824
>game is well balanced
>there's a literally unkillable bandit standing on a road leading to a low level quest
>said bandit turns into a trash mob once you buy a single weapon
>game is well balanced
And that's just first hour of gameplay.
>>
>>385818015
>Problem is that in DD you don't need to do that shit at all, the Golem being an exception.

So what was that about gatekeeping, gear and stats?
Apparantely it isn't a problem after all?
>>
>>385818173
>>there's a literally unkillable bandit standing on a road leading to a low level quest

No it isn't. Even on Hard that enemy is fully beatable. I know because I did it in all my playthroughs.
Heck you can even run past those bandits to get to the forest.

I thought the argument here was that with skill you should be able to beat the enemy? Sounds like you're lacking in the skill department here.
>>
>>385818173
literally just run past him
>>
>>385818357
chipping one enemy for an hour is not a good design by any stretch of imagination, and as skill-based combat goes as well
>>
>>385818173
As far as i remember those bandits are pretty much the only single time where such difficulty spike happens.
>>
>>385818173
Those bandits are similar to the skeletons in the graveyard from dark souls. But obviously that's great game design and balance, right?
>>
>>385818173
If you can't kill the bandits leading to the Witchwood then you're a scrub. I don't even comprehend how anyone can have a hard time with that, even on a new game on hard.

But to addresd this "issue", is it not fair that Dragon's Dogma has rpg mechanics? If you ever play DnD this kind of stuff can happen. In FF or any other rpg you can get in over your head, your equipment is just not strong enough yet.

To be fair you can fight the Asylum Demon with the sword hilt, and this act probably takes as long as fighting a Dragon's Dogma enemy you're not prepared for.

Memes aside people are making a mountain of a mole hill for a game they clearly don't want to enjoy.
>>
>>385818474
yeah because after that game devolves to extreme easy mode on astonishing speed
it's awfully balanced all around, and the fact hard mode is actually an easy mode is just pathetic
>>
>>385817604
>DD is a mix of both. In fact how you use your skills and how you fight your enemies is in fact far more important than in say Bloodborne. Exploiting specific enemy weaknesses is important in DD while pretty much nonexistant in Bloodborne.

That's the thing though, I don't think the game is a good mix of both. The game has a bunch of neat shit you never have to do because you're most likely either-
A. Too weak to fight an enemy, total damage sponge.
B. Way too strong, no tactics needed.

I didn't try to break the game, its neck snapped when I was simply holding it in my hand. Dragon's Dogma has all the potential in the world to have more interesting combat than Souls, but due to the abysmal balance it never grabbed me.
>>
>>385818561
>If you ever play DnD this kind of stuff can happen.
in BG i can clear a hard encounter with a clever combination of skills and spells
here i will be forced to chip away a retarded HP sponge for an hour
feel the difference
>>
>>385818459
>chipping one enemy for an hour is not a good design by any stretch of imagination

It doesn't even remotely take that long. The problem with that fight is that he does a lot of damage to you, so you can die easily.
Did you even play the game?
Besides, wasn't the argument made about Dark Souls how even if it takes a long time (which it doesn't with these bandits) you can beat any enemy with starter gear and "skill" in Dark Souls? Even with just fists?
>>
>>385818646
He'll just move goalposts again. He really wants your (You)'s.
>>
>>385818646
in dark souls there's skill-based mechanics like hypermode that allow you to gain massive damage in the beginning of the game in return for being killed in one hit
nothing like that happens in DD
and it does take a whole fucking lot of time on top of your pawns being retarded pieces of shit constantly getting hit by his attack
it's an awful encounter, terribly designed and fully showing how little developers cared for any semblance of difficulty curve
>>
>>385818637
>in BG i can clear a hard encounter with a clever combination of skills and spells

No you can't. You're fucking lying if you're trying to tell me you can beat every encounter you stumble across with skill. Seriously you can fuck right off if you're telling me you can beat a Lich with your starter shit from Irenicus dungeon.

>>385818583
>I don't think the game is a good mix of both.

Too bad for you then. So far you have yet to provide a single good argument or fact to support this. It's all your opinions you keep repeating over and over as if they're some universal truth. Get over yourself.

Seriously, there is no point in wasting more time on someone as close-minded as you. What's even worse is you're most likely parroting some idiots video you just saw, taking their words as gospel. So they're not even your own ideas.
>>
>>385818583
Would having enemies scale with you solve that problem and have area progression handled by other means like hostile environments instead of OP enemies?
>>
>>385818934
>it's an awful encounter, terribly designed and fully showing how little developers cared for any semblance of difficulty curve

Yet you most likely think that the Soulsborne series is expertly crafted, which is highly amusing.

The gameplay is the weakest part of the Soulsborne series, it's the discovery and how it respects the player (compared to most games on the market) that made them good. Only a fucking idiot would think that say Bloodborne has excellent combat with tons of depth.
>>
>>385810219
>story driven decision making.
Lol
>>
>>385818975
>No you can't
you can get a staff of the magi in a few hours after starting bg2 you retarded piece of shit
it is possible to kill Kangaxx just by having access to Staff of Rynn and Spell Immunity
don't even think about barking about something you have virtually no experience with
>>385819161
>Yet you most likely think that the Soulsborne series is expertly crafted
better than dragon's dogma
souls have their own share of problems, but as far as skill-based combat goes? it demolishes DD into oblivion
>>
>one encounter that's fully beatable if you don't stand in one place like an idiot
>makes a game bad
>>
>>385818934
>in dark souls there's skill-based mechanics like hypermode that allow you to gain massive damage in the beginning of the game in return for being killed in one hit

You mean those things that From keep nerfing because they don't like them and don't think they should be part of the game?
>>
>>385819353
No, what makes the game bad is that it stays unbalanced entire way in, difficulty just peaks on that encounter then goes down the shitter and game will stay on permanent easy mode once you gain at least somehow good weapons.
>>
>>385807958
Lol I didn't even read the thread or your dumb opinions about combat

I want to fuck my lawn
F
U
C
K

MY PAWN
>>
>all this crying
ARPGs are shit, deal with it kiddies
>>
>>385819087
>Would having enemies scale with you solve that problem and have area progression handled by other means like hostile environments instead of OP enemies?

No, stats should simply play a smaller part period. A tougher enemy should legitmately just be more aggressive and require a higher level of play.
>>
File: alchemist gameplay.webm (3MB, 650x364px) Image search: [Google]
alchemist gameplay.webm
3MB, 650x364px
this is pretty fun
>>
>>385819449
>>You mean those things that From keep nerfing
you mean like they gave you a whole new set of tools for getting around high-level content on low levels in ds3 with a ridiculously strong Dark Hand and lloyd's sword ring?
>>
>>385819473
Hey, If there's grass on the field...
>>
File: MC RIDE.jpg (16KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
MC RIDE.jpg
16KB, 547x480px
>>385819473
>I want to fuck my lawn
>>
>>385818934
Throwblasts deals massive damage and is accessible at the beginning of the game, without the health risk.
Act of Vengeance is an actual skill that gives you some semblance of "hypermode" meme.
You can grab and throw bandits off a cliff if you stun them enough.
Are you going to move goalposts further?
>>
File: 1486301696188.png (33KB, 281x355px) Image search: [Google]
1486301696188.png
33KB, 281x355px
>you can buy such an insane amount of healing grass it literally trivializes an entire game
>it weights nothing
>>
File: bush-art_0[1].jpg (36KB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
bush-art_0[1].jpg
36KB, 400x231px
>>385819473
>I want to fuck my lawn
>>
File: 667.png (47KB, 350x339px) Image search: [Google]
667.png
47KB, 350x339px
>>385819473
>I want to fuck my lawn
>>
>>385807958
every complaint about DD can be waved away easily using the Dark Souls defense: Git Gud.
>>
>>385810085

Still better than Dragon's "mash one button the entire game" Dogma
>>
>>385819687
maybe that's what's meant buy fucking your lawn
>>
>>385819713
what

Most of the complaints about DD in regards to difficulty is that it's too easy to trivialize the combat.
>>
>>385810524

>those assholes who go from lvl 10 - 50 in one fight by getting the instagib death glitch by brining death

>not exploiting at all totally legit game was obviously designed like that not an oversight at all!
>>
>>385819559

You are confusing oversight with design. With every game and every patch From have at least attempted to make it increasingly harder to do that stuff, they have made both their competence and intentions quite clear.
>>
>>385817174
What is there to "git gud" at in DD though? Not much, because they had to make the combat simple since it's an arpg
>>
who the fuck plays third-person action games?
>>
File: 1487543343141.jpg (88KB, 479x512px) Image search: [Google]
1487543343141.jpg
88KB, 479x512px
>>385819597
underrated
>>
>>385814380
monster hunter dude.

crap cum aren't very original.

they just sort of shotgun a lot of similar titles with some differences and blow their wad of shit all over the market and hope some sticks.

that's why DD has so many flaws, because instead of letting the devs actually finish the goddamn game, management fuckos' decided they wanted to pull the trigger almost an entire year early.
>>
File: 1481502914418.png (253KB, 817x740px) Image search: [Google]
1481502914418.png
253KB, 817x740px
>>385819895
>oversight
>massively buffed dark hand as well as a few raw weapons in different patches
Try again.
>>
File: 1500899631155.jpg (90KB, 856x610px) Image search: [Google]
1500899631155.jpg
90KB, 856x610px
Makes me sad to see how little people care about balance in a Single Player games. It was the biggest problem with both DD and MGSV's gameplay. Good game balance is good game design, it's what makes Resident Evil such an amazing game to this day.

People shouldn't let the devs off the hook off so easily, balance your game properly for fucks sake.
>>
>>385820020
Exactly
>>
File: shiggy.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>385820020
>who the fuck plays any of the DMC, Bayonetta, soulsborne, dragon's dogma, monster hunter games and arguably skyrim

Probably the majority of people on /v/
>>
>>385818975

Other anon still here.

Can I basically totally ignore the stamina/food mechanic because of the way the game is set up?
Can stats make you, not only eventually and necessarily, but also quickly and repeatedly, disregard the whole body grabbing/part-focusing of the game? Hell, even the elemental weaknesses will for the most part become irrelevant way too early (still a remnant of it for some enemies that have 100% resistance, but that's a small sliver).

I understand how people can not be bothered by this - hell I can even respect some of the arguments as to why it *should* be so.
But ultimately I think that's an inherent weakness to having a hybrid game like DD, people will have different sensibilities about where the center core of that hybridization process should land.

And as for myself, I really loved that too short-lived start of the game when you were weak, dependent on resources and group tactics. There's was something pretty unique there. And it's the leveling set up that breaks it. The end-game heroic levels by comparison felt like by-the-numbers dungeon crawling. But then that's the part other people seem to prefer.
>>
>>385819879
And people don't do the exact same shit in dark souls?
>>
>>385819879
lul didn't even know that could happen that's cool, I only saw 3 people do the challenge and it was just throwblasts
>>
In DD you're basically invincible for the entire game because you can just pause and eat healing items whenever you're about to die. At least in Dark Souls they were careful with the ways that the player can heal, and it makes so much difference when you compare the two. In any case neither of the games have good combat because they're ARPGs. The entire point of an ARPG is to reduce the emphasis on player skill in favour of character skill, so you can watch numbers go up instead of experiencing a deep combat system.
>>
>>385819473

Plants of all kinds grow at the trees' feet, like so many verdant children.
>>
>>385820337
Sips in DS3 are literally risk-free, especially with how insanely generous the game is with rolls and stamina.
>>
>>385820114
DD's pretty balanced, it's just people either being dumb at exploring options presented by the game or people speeding through it that makes it unbalanced, which is common on open-world games.
>>
>>385820430
The games doesn't literally freeze time for you though, and your charges are limited. DD is even more generous with its rolls and counters with the yellow classes iirc
>>
File: Eliminator.png (256KB, 366x713px) Image search: [Google]
Eliminator.png
256KB, 366x713px
>>385820337
I had a problem with this even though I liked the game - in the end there was no real challenge unless the enemy could either one shot you or put you in a 2 minute qte that you won't be able to escape even if you broke your hand and entire controller trying wiggle the joystick

>mfw realized just now finding an image that their helmet was never a helmet, it was their face
>>
>>385820430
>Sips in DS3 are literally risk-free
still carry way larger risk than DD's healing
>>
>>385820534
That is their helmet you bamboozler
>>
>>385820093
>this one undocumented change in particular is the REAL way they intended the game to be

Fuck off. They fumble around for a while trying to tweak this and that before dropping maintenance of the game and moving on and then in the next game in the series it's a whole new set of values again.
>>
>>385820520
It had might as well with how ridiculously safe sipping is. Also you only have limited space for curatives in DD as well, especially if you're a smaller character as some of the better curatives can be quite heavy
>>
File: dbp.png (146KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
dbp.png
146KB, 350x263px
>>385820732
That's why I make a loli MC and make my pawn a Mr Popo looking guy who serves as a mule
>>
>>385820732
>some of the curatives can be quite heavy

You realize you can stock up on so many Healing Spring flasks across you and your pawns that you effectively have infinite healing items with effect on weight, yes?
>>
>>385820473
>DD's pretty balanced, it's just people either being dumb at exploring options presented by the game or people speeding through it that makes it unbalanced
But then it is unbalanced. You can't fault the player for playing through a game "the wrong way", that's simply bad game design.
>>
>>385820732
>It had might as well with how ridiculously safe sipping is
Lol no, and you can carry way more healing than you'll ever need in DD, especially if you use your pawns as mules. It's basically impossible to die unless you get oneshotted, and even that stops being a factor once you get wakestones
>>
File: catGirl.jpg (222KB, 1089x1080px) Image search: [Google]
catGirl.jpg
222KB, 1089x1080px
>>385810160

First time I played this I took a wrong turn and ended up fighting a bunch of thieves and a fucking troll when I was level nothing. I was an idiot and saved, so I had no choice but to either fight OP characters or start a new game/stop playing. It took me many many tries, but I killed them all, and then I knew it was the game for me.

Dragon Dogma is the best kind of RPG: where the stats, equipment and arty have a huge impact, but still manages to come down to skill. I think you just have none
>>
>>385820907
*with zero effect on weight
>>
>>385820907
That shit heals a tiny bit of HP a pop, if you want to play in a super inefficient and time-consuming way then be my guest but then don't complain when the game isn't fun.
>>
>>385820714
>officially buffed the shit out of damage of raw dragonslayer axe
>increased the damage of dark hand more than a year ago without reverting it with any patches, then further buffed its attack speed
>not a real intended way
You are a moron, anon.
>>
>>385819340
>you can get a staff of the magi in a few hours after starting bg2 you retarded piece of shit
>it is possible to kill Kangaxx just by having access to Staff of Rynn and Spell Immunity
>don't even think about barking about something you have virtually no experience with

It's so funny how you're so stupid that you don't even realize that you're proving yourself wrong.

>>385819340
>better than dragon's dogma

Nope. Already proven how poorly design it is. Directionless.
In any case, you bias is as clear as day. You're here to tell others what to think and little else.
>>
>>385820834
How do you feel when Mr Popo takes over your loli body ?
>>
>>385807958
>you level in an RPG and get better gear as you play
NO!?

WHAT!?

OH MY GOD
>>
I don't see a problem with the combat. Hanging onto a griffin in the air is cool. The golems in the swamp kicked my fucking ass too. Maybe play with less cheap ass sorcerers.

Best parts of the game:
>grab system
>character and pawn customization
>flexible class system
>your character appearing in cinematics
>Beloved system
>soundtrack
>>
>>385820068

I tried playing MonHun on 3DS and PSP, it was awful experience. Controls were bad, I constantly feelt clunky and limited to like 4 directions with nothing in between and camera control was awful.
>>
File: Cj4yji_WEAA5GC3.jpg (50KB, 580x615px) Image search: [Google]
Cj4yji_WEAA5GC3.jpg
50KB, 580x615px
>it's a thread where soulsborne fanboys tell everyone how superior their games are

Oh boy, clearly the worst fanbase.
>>
>>385821138
>they still manage to get completely BTFO
hilarious
>>
File: 1413330173439.jpg (258KB, 600x2240px) Image search: [Google]
1413330173439.jpg
258KB, 600x2240px
>>385821073
>Beloved system

This needs some work though
>>
>>385821138
Have you even read the thread? It's DD fanboys being insanely touchy as usual
>>
>>385821048
I imagine it was his plan all along
>>
>>385820337
Difficulty is not even the focus of DD, so there's no real issue with being able to heal in-menu. All difficulty experienced in the game are for try-hards who are looking to get their shit pushed in.
>>
>>385821224
>Soulsbabbies have literally no arguments other than "equipment stats are bad because I can't beat the entire game at level 1!"
>>
>>385820998

I think you need to look at the history of changes through the souls games, both across games as well as across patches.
>>
File: 2424246.jpg (74KB, 866x720px) Image search: [Google]
2424246.jpg
74KB, 866x720px
>>385821224
>says le butthurt Soulbaby
>>
>>385821332
All of the combat is boring when there's no danger of dying though. There's no reason to engage with the mechanics or try at all when you can just lazily win through attrition
>>
>>385821138
DD fanbase is just the hipster version of the Souls fanbase now.
>>
>>385821471
>a game is boring if I use the most boring possible way to play it
wow!
>>
>>385821356
>>385821465
I like both games, the "rivalry" between them is autistic as fuck
>>
>>385821538
It's not my fault that I'm taking the path of least resistance and it's boring. If the game was well designed the path of least resistance would be the most fun way to play
>>
>>385821541
It's mostly Soulsbabbies with their huge superiority complex, there's a reason why they're the most hated fanbase on /v/
>>
>>385821620
>he wrote this while calling people soulsbabbies
Do you have any self awareness at all? Is this "ironic" or something
>>
>>385821618
>I went out of my way to play the game in the most boring way, and now the game is boring! How could this have happened?
Wow!
>>
>>385821694
>literally triggered by bantz
typical thin-skinned soulsbabby
>>
>>385820927
They can obviously be faulted. Why do people laugh at shitters like DSP? Why do try-hards want more from a game they've beaten a million times at world record speeds? Why do people not want to be railroaded when there are a lot of options present to them? Are all of this due to bad game design?
>>
>>385821021
Do i need to link you a few videos of low-level solo BG players destroying the twisted rune or you will just shut the fuck up and stop talking about things way over your head, faggot?
because it's not hard
>Nope
Yes. It's actually cute that you're saying that souls games are directionless when DD feels like a blatantly unfinished, extremely poorly thought out game that is nowhere near even souls games as far as player skill goes.
>>
>>385821709
>path of least resistance
Yep
>>
>>385807958
can someone tell me how they give us this game yet again but not dragons dogma online?
they dont even have the rights to the opening song and the berserk armor sets so what the fuck
>>
>>385821428
I think you need to look at what they did with any changes they didn't intend to do. They are not present in GOTY versions. Dark hand buff is.
>>
>>385821734
>triggered
Woah
>>
>>385821847
>I absolutely HAVE to use the slowest, most boring and safest way to play the game, there are no other options!
This is why everybody hates soulsniggers
>>
Why all classes with the exception of yellow and yellow hybrids feel like shit?
>>
>>385821885
Because you're a fucking stupid bitch and no one likes you, stupid pos
>>
>>385821471
But there is, it's exactly the reason why they pause and chug recovery items in the first place.
>>
>>385821949
>da soulniggas be keepin us dragondogmen down yo!
>>
>>385822089
not an argument
>>
>>385822056
What
>>
>>385822151
>w-why won't he engage with me while I write the same thing over and over and ignore what he's saying??
>n-nuh....NOT AN ARGUMENT!!!
>>
>>385822170
So you play DD without using recovery items and expect not to die from attacks?
>>
>>385821738
>They can obviously be faulted. Why do people laugh at shitters like DSP?
This wasn't about people who suck ass at video games though, it's about a game not putting its best forward and instead allowing you to play like a shitter.
>>
>>385822265
>this much of a non-argument
>>
>>385821909

If there are changes made across games then the GOTY edition cannot be the final intended balanced value. End of support phase does not mean the game is 100% balanced and perfect and everything is how it should be.

You problem is assuming every change is carefully calculated. They are not, they are guesses.
>>
>>385821995
Because it is a bad video game.
>>
>>385822320
You can beat Dark Souls 1 and 3 by simply killing the same enemies over and over to level up to 120 or whatever and run over every single enemy and boss with your stats.
>>
>>385822340
I'm not interested in what you're pulling out of your ass, anon.
There's loads of options for a low-level build to take on a high-level content in DS3.
Deal with it.
>>
>>385822334
Stfu
>>
>>385822305
No, how did you even get there
>>
>>385822320
Playing like a shitter is an option that people knowingly and unknowingly take in this game regardless of how it's designed.
>>
>>385822424
That sucks as well.
>>
>>385822439
mad
>>
What they were thinking with wakestones?
>>
>>385822532
So is Dark Souls a bad game now because you can do that? It's the path of least resistance, after all, and the game is bad if it lets me do that.
>>
>>385822549
STFU
>>
>>385822601
No it isn't lol
>>
>>385822436

Observing that From doesn't make the most polished games and is forever balancing values back and forth is not "pulling shit out of my ass".

I'm sorry your argument is not as solid as you thought. Deal with it.
>>
>>385822723
There's no glitches Fromsoft introduced in patches that were carried into GOTY versions.
The only prominent glitch they fuced up with multiple times was during DS2 creation cycle which was a major clusterfuck by itself.
If dark hand is this way, it's supposed to be this way. If sword ring is in the early game location, it's supposed to be in early game location. If morion blade can be accessed extremely early, it was designed this way. It's that simple.
>>
>>385822585
>our stat system is so fucked that players can take chip damage from enemies in one room and then just get oneshotted in the next, how do we fix it
>change the way damage is calculated?
>no, let's just make em immortal
>good idea!
>>
>>385822523
Why say "what" then?
>>
>>385822601
>So is Dark Souls a bad game now because you can do that? It's the path of least resistance, after all
Is it really though? Grinding takes time and is tedious. It's not really comparable to buttonmashing, which is an efficent tactic in DD.
>>
>>385822585
It's for those who can't git gud. You can always deposit or discard them if you don't like them.
>>
>>385819543
I can't wait to try spirit lancer, and the game in general
>>
>>385822719
Exactly
>>
>>385823082
>i-ignore intended game mechanics to fix the game yourself!
LOL
>>
>>385817147
played the game all the way till the end 3 separate times. Gear is a big part of the game. once you get the ball rolling with good enough gear, the rest of the game is ez pz. also it doesn't have a lot of replayability because after the first two runs you essentially see everything. game is fun but I only played it so much because I didn't have anything else at the moment.
>>
>>385817147
Play with your starting equipment until BBI then
>>
>>385821823
There's nothing stopping you from gimping yourself in DD just to prove your "skill". Go ahead and slap Death with the lowest level and weakest gear, without using any supplementary items.
>>
>>385823182
What does removing it even fix in the game? Make it artificially harder?
>>
>>385823851
>artificially
:)
>>
File: Screenshot_20170727-233627.png (766KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170727-233627.png
766KB, 1440x2560px
Happening
>>
File: 1483098987883.jpg (4KB, 198x112px) Image search: [Google]
1483098987883.jpg
4KB, 198x112px
>>385824040
>dd cucks will buy it a 4th time
>>
>>385824437
I'll buy it and have fun with it.
>>
>>385824040
>Those nu-male friends.

Poetry.
>>
>>385824641
Rerelease in me more daddy :3
>>
File: 1454122421587.jpg (166KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1454122421587.jpg
166KB, 1440x900px
>>385824040
>mfw I buy this yet again
>>
>>385825608
I need to mating press Thick Arisen
>>
>>385825608
Mindbroken by Capcom.l
>>
>>385808239
>Equipment trumps stats over so much

But there's only like 10 weapons for each class and unless you're like level 200 you won't kill Death.with any of them
>>
File: 1500778643927.jpg (280KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1500778643927.jpg
280KB, 1280x1280px
>>385807958
So...you want an action game instead of action RPG?

Same developer has a entire series made just for you, it's called Devil May Cry.

Your welcome.
>>
>>385814895
Is DD Online have some Attack on Titan promotion with that gear?
>>
File: 1423806556575.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
1423806556575.png
165KB, 303x311px
>>385807958
>Make battles almost completely dependant on stats making said combat system redundant
>Why can't I kill gwyn with the Broken Straight Sword in any reasonable timeframe at level 1 using no spells/rings/pyromancies/ect while also wearing no armor wtf from it totally makes the combat system redundant
>>
File: Manticore.jpg (236KB, 850x1381px) Image search: [Google]
Manticore.jpg
236KB, 850x1381px
>>385827681
quit posting my wife
>>
>>385829412
desu the bigger problem for me is that most of the game became trivially easy
>>
>literally started a game today
>making my pawn to the utmost perfection, I double click a question and there is no fucking way to go back and correct the question I validated without even seeing it
>hey dude there's a quest in this well
>go down, no indication of difficulty, whatever let's rock
>lizards super stronk
>let's bail
>pawns refuse to follow you back
>end up killed
>try to go back to at least re-take another quest
>crash
nice game
>>
>>385807958
>darksouls
>nearly unplayable without dumping levels
>muh arpg
yeah I want to roll around the final boss for an hour hitting him for less than a hundred damage each time
>>
Name an action RPG whose battles aren't dependent on stats.
>>
File: tell me more.gif (501KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
tell me more.gif
501KB, 342x342px
>>385832220
>RPG
>not dependent on stats
>>
>>385832505
Yeah, it's almost like that was my point.
>>
>>385832732
Wow it's almost like he thinks arpgs are bad or something
>>
>>385818173
DSP stop posting, trying to kill an iron clad guy with rusted daggers doesn't work anyway.
>>
>>385814895
>SnK OP starts playing
Thread posts: 280
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.