[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

online connection, lag, latency, ping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 4bars.jpg (10KB, 274x305px) Image search: [Google]
4bars.jpg
10KB, 274x305px
any networking guy know what determines whether you get good or bad connection in multiplayer? is it dependent on download speed? upload speed? geographical location?

for example, can a Japanese player get a 4 bar connection match against an American in, say Street Fighter? what can the Jap or American do to achieve this? or are they screwed out of luck?
>>
>>385795129
Are you using WIFI or an ethernet cable?
>>
>>385795159
cable of course
>>
server location
server location
server location
hops
hops
hops
before you buy, do a tracert to the server you are planning on connecting to. do this for any game that is online. also check forums of said game.
>>
>>385796247
what if the game has no dedicated servers?
>>
>>385796339
then it is a toss up. take gtav online as an example. it can be great or complete shit. depends on who might be hosting.
>>
It has nothing to do with upload or download speed, it's your physical distance to the other server. That's what "ping" measures. The amount of time it takes you to send a message to the server.

Even if your upload/download is really fast, if there's a 200ms delay before your commands get sent to the server you're gonna lag.
>>
>>385796772
>>385796853
so there's nothing you can do to improve the connection if the host is on the other side of the world?
>>
>>385797002
There is no magical protocol that can ignore the difference between client and host. Signals don't teleport, you know.
>>
>>385797168
*distance
>>
>>385797002
you'll hear all kinds of theories.
>use a vpn
>get a better ISP
>get faster speeds
>tweak this
>tweak that
in reality, it's all shit.
if you connect to a host and are lagging, give it a min or two. if lag persists, d/c and hope for a better host.
>>
File: 1373272423389.png (4KB, 303x243px) Image search: [Google]
1373272423389.png
4KB, 303x243px
>>385797168
>>385797228
>>385797301
got it, thanks

>There is no magical protocol that can ignore the difference between client and host.

hopefully there will be
>>
>>385797405
Yeah, when we find a way to break lightspeed. Until then, tough shit, connecting to Sydney from London will always be a bitch.
>>
>>385797405
Well if you're hoping for that you're hoping that we learn how to defy the laws of physics, which I don't see us doing any time soon (for networking purposes at least). There's simply a limit how fast data can get from point A to point B and we cannot surpass it, only try to make the connection as stable and efficient as possible.
>>
File: 1501572211975s.jpg (18KB, 411x389px) Image search: [Google]
1501572211975s.jpg
18KB, 411x389px
>>385795129
>>
This thread NEEDS to be deleted. I don't care if OP is genuinely 10 years old and is asking these questions legitimately or if he's baiting but for the love of god please delete this thread I'm getting cancer
>>
>>385797405
I refuse to believe you are this retarded.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.