[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so horribly wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: ARMS.jpg (23KB, 250x280px) Image search: [Google]
ARMS.jpg
23KB, 250x280px
What went so horribly wrong?
>>
>>385791440
they sold a 30 dollar game for 60
>>
>>385791440
Overly defensive metagame. You were punished heavily for making the first swing.
>>
>>385791507
>just like Smash
>Smash goes on to sell millions
>Smash still has an active online game after 3 years
Why?
>>
Everything.
>>
>>385791636
Because its a fucking all star cast of Nintendo's IP in an already established series?

Is that a serious question?
>>
It tried to compete with Splatoon despite having less everything.
>>
>>385791636
Smash is a good game though with, believe it or not, more technical options per character than Arms
>>
Not enough content for casual players. The "endgame" as far as single-player content is fighting frame-1-reacting bots. Evasive options are too strong. Arm effects aren't particularly balanced. The only thing appealing to completionists is collecting arms which is a literal lottery where you collect the same 30 arms for all 10/11 characters and then do it again to upgrade them. To get the best out of the game you're better off using motion control, which is far less intuitive for Arms than for, say, Splatoon.

>>385791636
Smash is a crossover game with tons of popular Nintendo characters, and despite the defensive metagame, the large number of moves, fighters, and stages available helps to hide that or make it utterly irrelevant in casual play. Previous Smash games also did have viable aggressive tactics and competitive depth, which helped the series get a competitive foothold.
>>
>>385791440
Nothing, it sold well and has an active playerbase. It just doesn't get much discussion because there hasn't been a new update in a while.
>>
It sucks
>>
>>385792001
Switch doesn't really have many games right now, so it makes sense they'd swarm the game and play it out. It doesn't change the fact the game itself is average at best though.
>>
>>385792001
Oh right, this too. For a game with such sparse content, the promised updates have been pretty slow. They probably can't do anything about it, but it doesn't help interest. Even if it meant running out of steam sooner, they should have done everything they could to beef the game up before Splatoon 2 came out. The first Splatoon saw a major update two months after the game released, and had already added 16 weapons and 5 stages between release and that update.
>>
Do you have to post this every day, even after it's already broken 1.2 million sales in 2 weeks and is likely to hit 2 million by the end of August?

inb4 that autists that brings the "hurr no locals or livestreams hosting tourneys means the game is dead even though you can find people in both ranked and party modes within seconds.
>>
>>385791440
Nothing, I went back to it after forcing myself to give splatoon a try.
>>
>>385792338
Well for one thing, the promised updates are characters, new stages and new arms.

It takes more time to come up with animations for each character and stages (though Max Brass came out alittle more quickly since he was already far in development, seeing as he is the last enemy you fight in level 3 and below difficulty Grand Prix).

The balance of new arms being added could also play a factor into release timing.
>>
The game has most likely already outsold Street Fighter 5 in just a month. Absolutely nothing went wrong.
>>
>>385793001
[citation needed]
>>
>>385791440

>Million seller

>Wrong

Im still playing

Party Mode is still fun as fuck, im just waiting for more updates
>>
More importantly when are we getting the next character?
>>
File: 5749755_20140525041237.jpg (147KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5749755_20140525041237.jpg
147KB, 683x1024px
>Switchfags can only talk about sales instead of the actual game content
>>
>>385791507
>>385791841
>>385791924

>le "too defensive and not enough depth" argument

Even though every competitive player of the game says the exact fucking opposite. One of the best players right now is a hyper aggressive HELIX of all things. If you don't know shit about the game please don't act as if you do.
>>
>>385791440
The UI design and online mode is fucking horrible. I don't understand how this can be made by the same guys that made Mario Kart 8 or even Wii which had a much better online mode 10 years ago.

>game doesn't remember your decisions which means you always have to choose your character again and can't just button-mash through the menu like in every other game, including Mario Kart
>default amount for that ARMS unlocking mode is 30 coins and if you accidentally press the button you have to go with 30, even though you wanted to pay 200 to have more time
>not even resetting the system helps, it immediately saves that you lost 30 coins for some reason.
>one button press is enough when you pick a character or choose an amount of coins, it doesn't want you to reconfirm, not even in competitive mode, so if you accidentally pick a character you didn't want, you are fucked
>can't make a lobby, the only way to play with people on the internet is sharing fucking codes, even though the game already has a decent lobby system for fighting random people
>all those gimmicky ARMS that often are overpowered (snake, that bird, other annoying ARMS with effects) and have nothing to do with the Punch-Out premise of the game and are just annoying as fuck to fight against
>a part of "getting good" is just investing a lot of time and unlocking the right ARMS with luck
>no alternative costumes which are a must-have in games like this to keep people motivated and make the experience seem more individual
>lack of content

That's the biggest issues I can think of. I don't even have any real problems with the controls or the core gameplay anymore and I had a lot of fun with the game at times. Maybe I give it another chance one day but right now I'm tired.
>>
I had a premonition from the very beginning of launch trailer.
>>
>>385793965
Who are they? Where do they say this? Who's this Helix player? By the way, you know that a game moving fast doesn't mean it's aggressive, right? That throwing out lots of punches doesn't mean you're playing aggressively? Because throwing out single punches is relatively safe. If most of the damage comes from playing reactionary and every attack just resets the situation back to neutral then it's not an aggressive game. There's no reason to take risks in the game whatsoever.

I hope you don't think Yabuki's display at E3 was indicative that the game isn't defensive. You're going to have lots of opportunities to throw decisive punches in a defensive game when you're playing against an unskilled player who just throws out unsafe shit all the time.
>>
>>385794125
>i want vitrifaction steps because I'm too gungho with the controller and have no patience

Generation Z, everyone.

Also, choosing 30 seconds is beneficial if you want more arms for your main because it increases the chances of you getting them fyi.
>>
>>385794526
Not him but the other player wasn't throwing unsafe punches.

He was hardly throwing at all, having his guard up most of the match.

Yabuki took advantage of that with his Ram Rams to get around the shield and keep punishing the player.
>>
it alright
it not subtle or nuanced, it tasteless and lukewarm
but, it alright
>>
There should be game about girls with super stretchy vaginas called "Vaginas"
>>
>>385794562
Not sure what vitrifaction means but yes, when there is shit at stake, a second button press is more than appropriate. A second button press could never annoy anyone and it's absolutely worth the convenience that just button-mashing through the menus entails.

And no, I didn't know this. How would I?

I should add this to the flaw list.
>>
>>385794913
>And no, I didn't know this. How would I?
By playing the game and finding out.

Do games need to spoonfeed everything to you or were you conditioned to read from a textbook?

How about experiencing stuff instead of being told everything before you get the chance to discover it?
>>
File: wrong.gif (969KB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.gif
969KB, 250x175px
>>385791636
>just like Smash
It's like Smash if there were only 11 characters, all with the exact same moveset consisting of a jab, a grab, and a shield and the only thing differentiating them was speed and size.
So no, it's not really like Smash
>>
>>385794125
>all those gimmicky ARMS that often are overpowered (snake, that bird, other annoying ARMS with effects) and have nothing to do with the Punch-Out premise of the game and are just annoying as fuck to fight against

Maybe the stupidest complaint I've ever heard, and I'm sitting in this same thread with you taking a shit on the game. The premise of the game is Arms, it isn't a Punch-Out game, go cry about how Little Mac will never get in the game.

>>385794672
The Ram Rams don't go around the shield, he still blocked them. When the player was using Master Mummy he was mostly blocking and you'll notice it was mostly working and the match was slow as fuck and the first round ended in time-out. Almost every single time he gets hit is because he threw out both of his arms, which is unsafe. Largely being hit for throwing out both arms continued to get him hit a lot when he switched to Spring Man, and they timed out again because you can dodge attacks so easily.

>>385795025
It's a fucking lottery, it's stupid that you have to spend hundreds of coins just to understand what each category does, and slight differences can easily be attributed to random chance. You aren't going to be able to definitively find that out from one go of each, you need more information before it can be considered a trend.
>>
>>385795025
Stop defending obvious nonsense, please. You'd have to do it a few times (which could pretty much mean 800 coins or more) to be sure about the drop rates.
>>
>>385795376
>Maybe the stupidest complaint I've ever heard,
Maybe because you are using those overpowered, annoying as fuck to fight against shit arms that have absolutely nothing to do with the sense of boxing?

If you enjoy this shit, cool. I don't. And I assume most people don't, otherwise it would be more successful.
>>
>>385795695
I agree that some of the attributes are overpowered, but the "sense of boxing" stuff is horseshit. Pretty sure they specifically said it wasn't a boxing game at some point, you're an idiot for going into it assuming it would be one. They spared no expense showing off how much variety there was in terms of Arms, including the weird ones, so don't act like you were tricked.
>>
>>385791468
this
>>
Mien Mien is fappable, that all.
>>
>>385795818
They literally market it as a boxing game in every trailer and TV spot with actors basically boxing in front of the TV. And it actually is what it feels like to an extent. Not when your gloves are fucking snakes that sweep across the whole arena, electric birds, dragons shooting laser beams or rockets with radar lock-on and you barely even have to aim. Not to mention that disgusting "paralyze enemy, then throw enemy" meta.

And the best thing is when you haven't even unlocked the most overpowered ARMS for your main after 100 hours, let alone the plus-version.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.