[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shadowrun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: shadowrun.jpg (43KB, 609x294px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun.jpg
43KB, 609x294px
What does /v/ think of this series?
Is Returns even worth playing? I've heard Dragonfall improves upon it in every way.
>>
Returns is trash
Dragonfall and Hong Kong are good though
>>
>>385788574
Returns is worth playing if it's your first game of the three modern ones.
Going backwards is painful.
>>
>>385788574
If you haven't played the retro games, the Genesis game is an open-world action RPG and the SNES one is basically a CRPG. They're both dope.
>>
All 3 were good. Dragonfall being best, Returns the worst.

We won't get another good Cyberpunk game for years :(
>>
The genesis one is criminally underrated IMO, Winston is my nigger and I had a huge crush on the orcess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvaO3tJMRmk

Also dat ost.
>>
Shadowrun Returns is a horrible RPG

the enemies literally don't drop any loot

it was like a horrible free app store game, only they had the balls to charge money for it
>>
>>385788574
Returns is good if you have no familiarity with the series/setting, it's a shit plot but good at introducing you to the world.
Otherwise, skip it and go right to the good two.
>>
>>385788574
They are kinda meh in my opinion, hope their BattleTech game will be better.
>>
Returns>Honk Kong>Dragonfall
>>
>>385789770
This is a really bad opinion to have.
>>
File: fedorizing picture.jpg (43KB, 332x396px) Image search: [Google]
fedorizing picture.jpg
43KB, 332x396px
>>385790402
>This is a really bad opinion to have.
>>
>>385789770
This is backwards
>>
>>385789198
>SNES one is basically a CRPG. They're both dope.
I haven't played the Genesis version but the SNES version has aged rather poorly and I'd even argue that it had some serious flaws when it came out.
It did some really interesting things for an SNES game, but the mechanics were rather clunky and the combat system poorly designed. It would have been way better with a turn-based system rather than this hamfisted action-based attempt.

I'd mostly recommend the game to enthusiast interested in the history of the genre. Others are way better off playing the new Shadowrun games.
>>
>>385790562
He's right though. Returns has an incredibly repetitive end-game section and role-playing wise Dragonfall and Hong Kong offer more opportunity to the player.
>>
I liked Returns a lot more than Dragonfall.

Haven't played Hong Kong yet.
>>
File: 1500430528983.gif (2MB, 498x253px) Image search: [Google]
1500430528983.gif
2MB, 498x253px
>>385789414
Running the matrix was fun as shit.
>mfw black ic
>>
>>385790810
I've played it and it is clunky, but once you get into the groove I think it's fine. Not Planescape Torment but fine.
>>
>>385788574
The SNES shadowrun put me into a deep existential crisis for years that I had no idea was coming and had no way of dealing with. Even today the game over screen for this game sends chills down my spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl3BHeiMDOs

Everything about it is unsettling.
>>
File: 35256-Shadowrun_(USA)-6.png (15KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
35256-Shadowrun_(USA)-6.png
15KB, 256x224px
>>385788574
>he doesnt play the greatest game ever made
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_QsBZKstTg
>>
>>385792521
https://youtu.be/ome6XI_KuIw
>>
>>385793948
Are you trying to sound like a faggot?
>>
>>385788574

returns is garbage just skip to dragonfall
>>
>>385788574
Weak RPG aspects
Not very well balanced
Decent writing
More of a visual novel with some SRPG gameplay thrown in here and there
Mediocre SRPG gameplay

Applies to Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong
>>
>>385789198
>SNES one is basically a CRPG
It's actually closer to a point-and-click adventure game, the likes of Quest for Glory.
>>
>>385790810
The SNES one is the best Shadowrun game. It even has the best music. It nailed things like the atmosphereand has strong roleplaying aspects (that are not in your face).
>>
>>385794693
only that it doesn't have any actual shadowrunning
>>
Will HBS ever develop Shadowrun for something stronger than an iPad?
>>
File: 1454665005776.png (503KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454665005776.png
503KB, 640x480px
>>385788574
Those are casual tablet games disguised as an RPG. Terrible in everything except for the techno-fantasy setting.
>>
>>385794693
>strong roleplaying aspects
Like what?
>>
>>385789198
SNES version is shit and not worth a play. The Genesis however is amazing. Sadly it's better than what we have on PC.
>>
>>385795672
>Sadly it's better than what we have on PC.
How is it better?
>>
>>385795745
For one the sandbox gameplay makes it feel like the PnP. Too, because it is so open and free you can go about it in different ways that you can't in the PC games.
>>
>>385796019
I'm a bit doubtful that there was a Genesis game that gives you a pen & paper experience. The PC games are solid CRPGs; they by no means reinvented the wheel but they do mechanically what you expect an RPG to do. They feature multiple choice dialogue, some skill-checks, non-combat skills, ... and albeit they heavily involve combat the combat doesn't feel like there's too much filler. The characters are reasonably well written, in particular Gaichu and Racter in Hong Kong were a nice surprise.
>>
>>385796290
They were casual and predictable for the most part. Easy and shitty X-Com like combat. Not saying they're bad, but they're not as good, especially not SR games.
>>
>>385796525
I would say the combat is comparatively good. The RPG genre is filled with games with actually horrid combat. Turn-based is always a good thing and the X-Com mechanics are solid. Compare that to RPGs with actually bad combat, e.g. Arcanum.

I doubt that there's an RPG that can compete with modern RPGs on the Genesis platform. The genre was still in its early days back then and many mechanics that have become commonplace by now were hardly even fully established back then.
>>
>>385797068
It's casual X-Com, not solid. It gets better in DF and HK though, and the matrix in HK was interesting.

Shadowrun on the Genesis does a good job and holding it's own. It's proof that just because something's old doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>385797372
As I said: most RPGs are casual. The genre itself is not suited for serious challenge since in an RPG it's the character skill that decides success or failure, not the player skill. To a certain extent a game may have somewhat tactically challenging combat, but arguably once it gets past a certain point it wouldn't be believable any more. Often enough the player faces random groups of monsters rather than highly trained groups of fighters that are fighting in utmost cohesion, so it would not be believable for them to operate tactically in an all too efficient manner.

>It's proof that just because something's old doesn't mean it's bad.
That's not what I meant to say. Plenty of old RPGs implement things that could improve contemporary RPGs, but overall they're often 'not yet there'. I have yet to play the Genesis version of Shadowrun, and while the SNES version did some interesting things for its time - in fact I'd even say it's a lot more "RPG" than plenty of its contemporaries, but gameplay wise it's rather lacking in many aspects.

The PC Shadowrun games are solid RPGs. They do everything you'd expect an RPG to do. They are at the very worst mediocre and I'd argue they're well above average simply due to being well-rounded and not seriously lacking in any regard. Plenty of RPGs do certain things better but more often than not they also do things worse.
>>
I'm sure I'll regret this, but does anyone here play Shadowrun the tabletop game? There's a general in /tg/ but nobody plays it, they just complain and shit.

WHERE'S THE TECHNOMANCER BOOK AMY, YOU SAID THERE'D BE A TECHNOMANCER BOOK
>>
>ywn have a true 3D shadowrun game with more action based combat
>>
>>385798752
I run a campaign set in LA in 2070 with a few friends. It's a fairly decent system, but it's overloaded with niche rules, so you have to kind of accept that every single session is going to have some ridiculous rule cock-up.
>>
>>385788574
Just beat returns, was spamming full auto the entire game. Are dragonfall and hong kong more diverse in skills?
>>
File: shadowrun.jpg (142KB, 468x288px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun.jpg
142KB, 468x288px
>>385800673
It was bad.
>>
>>385788574
I only played through the SNES version. Pretty cool game but I wouldn't ever play through it again. I liked the music.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.