[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are exclusives pro or anti consumer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

Are exclusives pro or anti consumer?
>>
If PCfags werent all the time against PC exclusive ganes coming to consoles, I wouldn't have a single problem with if console exclusives would become availible on PC.
>>
I don't give a shit, I have PS4 and good PC
>>
>>385727667
Pro consumer when you fund a game's development and that game wouldn't have been made otherwise.
Anti consumer when you pay so the devs/publishers don't release on other platforms despite previously having intentions to do so
>>
>>385728170
What about the xbox one exclusives?
>>
>>385727968
How would you even play RTS games on console? Halo Wars was a failed experiment that proved the genre should just stay on PC.
>>
>>385727667
Anti. The only reasons companies have exclusives is because someone OWNS that platform. Someone OWNS Microsoft or Sony. It's a reminder that you are in a closed system that someone else has complete control of. Someone else dictates what games you are allowed to play. Making titles exclusive to one of these such platforms is literally nothing but a move to make money, not a move to help the consumer. Someone gets paid money to NOT release a game on every platform. How much more anti-consumer can you get than that?
>>
PlayStation consoles are shit. They have terrible controllers and UI's. If every game was released on every system nobody would pick up a playstation because xbox and pc are both infinitely more enjoyable to play. Sony knows this so they spend everything on exclusives.
>>
>>385728170
This.
>>
>>385728295
All the good ones are also on Windows 10. There's basically no reason to own an Xbox One if you have a PC.

PC + PS4 if you really want to play console exclusives. Can't go wrong with just PC this gen though since all the xboner games and multiplats are on PC too.
>>
>>385728295
Such as?
>>
>>385728295
no interest
>>
>>385728307
>wahhhh muh evil capitalism
You want the industry to be a homogenous monopoly?
>>
>>385727667
It's anti consumer in almost every single case except when a game simply will not work on other platforms.

Almost every PC exclusive that exists follows the latter. PC Exclusives tend to not be possible on a console because of the type of gameplay involved, because it simply will not run on a console, or because the developer is indie and cannot afford the outrageous prices required to publish a game for a console.

On the other hand, console exclusives are almost always anti-consumer because someone is being paid money in order to promise not to release their game for anyone else on any other platform to enjoy, even though nothing is stopping them from doing so at the technical level. Bayonetta 2 would run well and play well on other platforms, but Nintendo saw to it that Platinum not be allowed to release it anywhere else.
>>
>>385728295
I'm not trying to be combative but aren't they literally all on PC? The last two e3 conferences sure made it seem that way.
>>
>>385728489
Dude, he's discussing whether the practice is anti-consumer or not like the OP says. Why in the hell are you trailing off and changing the subject with a strawman? Can we please just discuss the topic at hand? Grow the fuck up man, jesus christ.

>>385728307
What about instances where a game is funded by a company in the first place, like No man's sky?
>>
>>385728489
What the fuck are you talking about? He never complained about capitalism. Fuck off little kid.
>>
>>385727667
How is this even up to debate OP? Just ask for a console war thread if you wanted it.
>>
>>385728632
That's questionable. Sometimes it's justified, but sometimes it's a case of "we have enough money to make this game, oh wait Sony just offered to offload 30% of the development cost if we make it exclusive. We're going to accept because free money even though we don't absolutely need it and hope that we don't lose too many sales"
>>
>>385728632
>>385728664
>complains about companies making money in an efficient manner
>not about capitalism
>>
>>385728821
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: 1456936612956.jpg (8KB, 152x152px) Image search: [Google]
1456936612956.jpg
8KB, 152x152px
>>385728821
>Anyone who disagrees with me for any reason whatsoever and says "yes, exclusives are anti-consumer" is crying hardcore about capitalism being evil

Looks like we got a big shot liberal arts major over here
>>
>>385728545
In Bayonetta 2's case Nintendo funded after others, like Sega, pulled funding. It literally wouldn't exist or have been finished without them.
>>
>>385728875
>>385728959
Are you guys dense? Yes, it's anti-consumer but that's natural. In a perfect world no game would be exclusive but that is not the case. Companies wish to persuade you in buying your system through their exclusive games. That's capitalism. Complaining about it is arguing against reality.
>>
>>385729253
>The OP asked "Is it Anti-consumer or not?"

>Someone answered "Yes, it is anti-consumer"

>You cry like a bitch and try to change the topic of discussion to something literally no one tried to argue for or against

Like I said, grow up.
>>
>>385727667
>Is x Pro or Anti Y
Don't talk
Your reasons for doing so mean less than the thoughts that come out of them
>>
>>385729253
Read the motherfucking OP next time and see what the question being asked is before you get assblasted at someone for answering it next time
>>
>>385729253
Why are you getting upset that people are literally directly answering OP's question?
>>
what's good for the industry IS what's good for the consumer.

Exclusives are great for the consumer because it escalates competition between companies.
>>
>>385729528
>what's good for the industry IS what's good for the consumer.
Have a (You)
>>
>>385729393
>>385729451
>>385729501
why don't you just fucking move to china if you hate capitalism so much?
>>
>>385729646
what is wrong with you?
>>
Exclusives are pro consumer when theyre on Nintendo or PC

Bad when they are on Sony
>>
>>385730179
Because Sony have charged for online play since the launch of the PS4. If you're wondering where the sentiment came from.
>>
>>385729528
>it escalates competition between companies
Can't these companies just be game development companies, and have competition between them and not force people to spend hundreds for the PRIVILEGE to play their game
>>
>>385729528
>>385731715

Imagine if tomorrow Audi said they would buy all the tech for self-driving cars away from Google, Uber, etc. and the only way you can get this service is by purchasing an Audi car.

That's what could potentially threaten the game industry. The 3D effect Nintendo uses for example is patented and they will sue anyone who replicates it.

But exclusives aren't just tech based, they're also skill-based (good devs make good games, so Sony/MS/Nintendo buys them), so the consumer ultimately loses due to the manufacturers wanting to enhance their user base by focusing on the WHAT rather than the HOW. Barely anyone uses consoles for other purposes than gaming.

This is the opposite of how Google and Apple handle their platform/ecosystem, since they sell the consumer an integrated experience (as opposed to "Mom buy me an xbox so I can play Halo!"), rather than advertising exclusive apps, thanks to the versatility of tablets and phones. Consoles don't have this luxury so it's always the what that comes first.
>>
>>385731715
But then who makes the hardware necessary to play those games? And then how do the companies that make them compete with each other?
>>
>>385732240
Not by signing exclusivity deals, but by making better hardware.

A perfect example is Monster Hunter's exclusivity with Nintendo and it being limited to a 240p handheld.
>>
>>385727968
>If PCfags werent all the time against PC exclusive ganes coming to consoles
You'll have to provide some examples, because I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head.
>>
>>385727667
Anti-consumer of course. They force you to spend money on the hardware you may not otherwise need and then attempt to keep you locked into the brand's walled garden.
>>
>>385727667
Games being restricted from any device capable of playing it is never a good thing.
>>
Pro consumer as first parties compete to get you to buy their console other any other
>>
Exclusives are anti-consumer. Anyone who says they're not is a troll. There is no reason to want your games to be exclusive to one console. As gamers we should want all fellow gamers to be able to play our exclusives. There is no reason to want exclusives, we all enjoy the same entertainment that video games bring us, and we should all want to bring the happiness our games bring us to everyone else. I'd love to play bloodborne, but I don't own a playstation, and I'm not going to buy a playstation just because I want to play a certain game.
>>
>>385733848
The thing is, if there were no exclusives then there would be no incentive for multiple companies to make or release a console and if that happened then you'd more than likely find yourself in a world where somebody would have a complete monopoly, that's anti-consumer
>>
>>385727968
I've never, ever seen a PC gamer say something like this. Sonybros on the other hand do that shit all the time. Besides, most PC exclusives would play like shit on consoles
>>
>>385727667
It is pro game developer, and in turn pro consumer because the developer can make the best product that way.
>>
>>385727667
Obviously they are bad for consumers. Doesn't matter because exclusives are dying, there is no reason for publishers and devs to want their game to be exclusive unless they're getting paid.
>>
File: Bean_Bandit.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bean_Bandit.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>385727667
>Are exclusives pro or anti consumer?

Pro for tons of reasons.

The only argument you can make against is that
>b-but i have to buy more than one system???

2 systems generally cover most bases, 3 basically covers them all. Only the extremely poor wouldn't be able to afford 2-3 systems. I mean a fucking non-shit TV in this day and age costs more than 3 systems.
>>
File: xbonedE32013policiesNeverForget.jpg (62KB, 1023x593px) Image search: [Google]
xbonedE32013policiesNeverForget.jpg
62KB, 1023x593px
>>385727667
>>385727667
>These are actual threads now

Shit like pic related anti-consumer.

lmao PlayStation finally gets games and fags are now calling new vidya that Sony helps create anti-consumer fucking sore loser dipshits hahaha
>>
>>385727667
Bayonetta 2 would never have happened if it wasn't for nintendo.

I'm not fucking buying a Wii U for it but its better for some people to enjoy things than none at all.
>>
>>385728267
/thread
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.