[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock 1 is better than 2. Fight me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: SHOCK001.gif (72KB, 640x480px)
SHOCK001.gif
72KB, 640x480px
System Shock 1 is better than 2. Fight me.
>>
>>385713747
I haven't played the first one, so I can't rightfully disagree with you or agree with you
>>
Maybe.
>>
>>385713747
It wasn't bad, the invisible enemies were annoying though and the levels were more of just like trying to find the end of a maze which isn't that fun all the time. I wish they had kept the hacking and improved it a little for SS2 instead of scrapping it completely. A HL2 mod called Dystopia had hacking that I'm pretty sure was inspired by SS1, so I was disappointed when I saw it in SS1 after playing SS2.
>>
>>385714712
>A HL2 mod called Dystopia had hacking that I'm pretty sure was inspired by SS1
which was one of my favorite parts of that mod*
>>
The level design was shit.
The game was bloated with mechanics that had very little actual impact or use.

Otherwise, it was good. SS2 really moved the formula ahead.
>>
>>385713747
It was pretty damn good. I wouldn't say better but it was completely different type of a game and I liked it.
>>
>>385713747
I won't, because you're right. System Shock 2 is still good though.

>>385714797
If anything SS2 had a ton more mechanic bloat than SS1 did. As fun as it is to dick around with character builds, several of the skills are just pointless like Modify and Repair (you'll get more than enough one-use modify/repair items to ever justify getting those skills) as are over half the psi powers and OS Upgrades. The only real bloat SS1 has are some of the weapons (fucking Riot Gun), ammo types, and that silly rear-cam.
>>
>>385713747
No.
>>
>>385715175
>If anything SS2 had a ton more mechanic bloat than SS1 did.
The gameplay itself was much more bearable, though. People tend to idolize games they didn't play at all, and the control scheme in SS1 was fairly terrible. The environments were repetitive as all hell and it was like playing doom with one hand and no ammo.
>>
>>385714797
>The game was bloated with mechanics that had very little actual impact or use.
But that's SS2.
>>
>>385715461
I did play SS1 and it took all of 45 minutes to get used to the controls.

>>385715175
Not to mention exotic and and energy weapons are totally outclassed by standard.
>>
>>385714797
>The game was bloated with mechanics
Thats what i dislike about SS2. SS1 complexity is between Bioshock and System Shock 2, which is perfect for me.
>>
>>385713747
no one can disagree since no ones played the first one because one look at the controls and they do a 360 and walk away
>>
>>385715461
>People tend to idolize games they didn't play at all, and the control scheme in SS1 was fairly terrible.
I won't argue with that. I still managed to get used to it and enjoy the game, but that doesn't excuse the awful controls. That said, the combat was also designed with the control scheme in mind, which leads into...

>The environments were repetitive as all hell and it was like playing doom with one hand and no ammo.
SS1 is not at all comparable to Doom. The combat isn't meant to be as fast-paced (primarly because the aforementioned controls makes it difficult to play that way), it plays more like a dungeon crawler with guns than it does like a traditional fps, there's a much bigger emphasis on exploration and resource management. Despite what similarities you might be able to draw between the two this game is not at all like Doom and was never intended to be.
>>
>>385715461
>was like playing doom with one hand
Enhanced Edition fixes that. It has mouse look and some other shit.
>>
Give me SS1 with SS2's level design. Not the LEGO-block levels.
>>
>>385714797
The circular and looping level design of SS1 is conducive to exploration, which greatly enhances the storytelling and problem-solving aspects of the game.

SS2 carried over such aspects and also emphasized the resource management aspect, however its more linear level design and much more gated level progression (locked doors everywhere) ended up discouraging exploration. SS2 has all these complex game systems but in the end, the best way to play the game is to always take the most obvious route. The player agency in SS2 is relegated to only character customization and inventory management, it's not something you actually experience when traversing the levels and completing objectives like in SS1. The added RPG systems in SS2 are not only poorly balanced, they're also only skin-deep.
>>
File: external002.png (1MB, 1214x1286px) Image search: [Google]
external002.png
1MB, 1214x1286px
>>
File: 1439594995529.jpg (19KB, 255x184px) Image search: [Google]
1439594995529.jpg
19KB, 255x184px
>>385714797
>The game was bloated with mechanics that had very little actual impact or use.
Like the stat system and researching in SS2?
>>
I unironically prefer SS1's UI.
I fucking hate that you can't have your inventory or log reader visible in SS2 while in "shooting mode" and when you do have them on they take an absurd amount of screen space. I just want to run around bashing heads while reading email, c'mon game I can multitask.
>>
Contrarian
>>
>>
>>385713747
ss1 UI was the best but I prefered ss2 plot and atmosphere.
I even preferred ss1 graphics even though they are "inferior".
I felt that the more primitive graphics made me use my imagination more and get more involved in the story and game.
>>
anyone who says the second one is better is a retarded who doesn't know shit about games.
>>
>>385718076
>a retarded
>>
>>385714797
>added retarded rpg mechanics to a game that didn't need them
>pushed the formula ahead
>>
>>385715953
>The circular and looping level design of SS1
is something that I didn't really like. You can have levels that are more linear and focused but still have side paths to explore a bit. Having to go around the circular looping levels repeatedly until you figure out what to do or what you missed gets a bit old after a while. I almost gave up on the first level because I explored 99% of it and went through it 3 or 4 times but was missing a door or something to take me where I needed to go. It's not a good thing when that happens to a player.
>>
Looking around with arrow keys is not a control mechanic I will miss
>>
File: elmo mocks an autistic girl.png (953KB, 854x482px) Image search: [Google]
elmo mocks an autistic girl.png
953KB, 854x482px
>>385717994
>but I prefered ss2 plot and atmosphere
but why?
>>
File: Armstrong5.jpg (25KB, 267x395px) Image search: [Google]
Armstrong5.jpg
25KB, 267x395px
Even though System Shock 2 has a great soundtrack, the one in System Shock blows it out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qBe3qo2uuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ignYPlgeNo
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.