[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Games with fantastic sound design. Hard mode: No Thief games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

File: 1500686659043.jpg (233KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
1500686659043.jpg
233KB, 1600x740px
ITT: Games with fantastic sound design.

Hard mode: No Thief games.
>>
File: pathologicart2.jpg (908KB, 5682x2362px) Image search: [Google]
pathologicart2.jpg
908KB, 5682x2362px
>>385704225
It's flawless.
>>
Darkest Dungeon
Everything is thrilling and horrifying when it should be imo. Also top quality narration.
>>
>>385704225
I'd honestly say L4D/2. Being able to identify all of the special infected by piano cues was great, and having all of the L4D2 maps with a different themed menu blew me away at the time. Parish best Menu Theme.
>>
>>385704828
Of all the bloody things about this bloody game, sound design is not something I'd point out as particularly remarkable. It has nice music (and the music for the Remake is shaping up to be even better if Marble Nest is anything to judge from), and the game has generally an unnerving atmosphere, but I can't really think of anything outstanding about the sound design itself.

My personal votes will go for:
FEAR (game that single-handedly convinced an entire generation that it's A.I. is super-smart pretty much by radio-chatter-rigging)
STALKER (upon replaying the damn games, I'm realizing how much of it's atmosphere comes from fantastic sound design)
Alien: Isolation (sound is pretty much vital for this game on many levels)
Battlefield series (at least up to BF3, I did not really bother playing the follow-ups)
Elite Dangerous
ARMA games (they have objectively the most elaborate and complex sound simulation upon I think all commericaly available games)
Half-life games had good sound design too. Black Mesa followed on that tradition.

A lot of people seem to praise Dead Space for it's audio design. I honestly don't remember it being particularly special, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
>>
>>385704225
System Shock 2.
>>
File: 1046.jpg (574KB, 1432x1457px) Image search: [Google]
1046.jpg
574KB, 1432x1457px
i just love the sounds in this game, weapons, doors, enemies, items, everything is sweet to the ear. it made me realize the importance of sounds in games.

also, MGS1 has awesome stepping sounds on metal surfaces
>>
File: 1500758249698m.jpg (119KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500758249698m.jpg
119KB, 724x1024px
>>385707495
Why is this game so fucking good? Also who makes up your best party?
>>
>>385707931
>A lot of people seem to praise Dead Space for it's audio design. I honestly don't remember it being particularly special, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Dead Space's audio was fairly unique in parts. It's like Silent Hill's music, there's just not much out there that sounds like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOBGnwtxxQ
>>
File: 1461723081979.jpg (92KB, 828x404px) Image search: [Google]
1461723081979.jpg
92KB, 828x404px
>>385704225
Beat this game and got the true ending.

Do not buy this game. I barely enjoyed it the whole way through. I am a long time player of castlevania and metroid games. This shit is so uninspired, so dull that the actual gameplay is a complete slog to play through. The game is piss easy and I never lost geo and even the last boss Radiance is easy as fuck.

The story is a straight up rip from dark souls.

>lol the king held the void at bay by using a hollow knight to absorb the light
>lol you are the chosen und-er hollow knight and for the true ending must seal the light away and break the cycle

What else can I say really? The art style is awful.

Do you like Symphony of the Night? Well this is that game instead of the awesome sprite artwork you are alucard if he was made by a tumblr artist. The entire game I was wondering why everyone was shilling this game and this is my theory.

It's the undertale retards who never played a vania game before so this is their first step in the genre so it's SOOOO unique because its "underrated", except the actual combat is floaty garbage and you never feel satisfied killing enemies.

This game is cancer and if you like this game. Kill yourself. You are a worthless mongoloid who enjoys half baked indie games with recycled ideas from Miyazaki. It's boring. Fuck you.
>>
>>385708362
That is LITERALLY the fucking sound from The Thing.

I'll be honest, I just don't remember much about the entirety of Dead Space. The games were in general so fucking incredibly forgetable. Any neat pieces of good design like this were kinda drowned out for me by the onslaught of mediocrity.
>>
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork2.jpg (162KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork2.jpg
162KB, 750x500px
>some people have only played this on ZSNES and think that's how the game is supposed to sound
>>
>>385708081
Have this one Warrens team that is extremely good at clearing it.
It's Vestal, Jester, HM/HWM and Occultist.
My frontliner dude has literally done so much for me over this entire game, has all the best offensive quirks such as Manslayer, Slugger, Warrior of the Light. Survived DD1 without dropping to Death's Door, survived Champion Flesh and Death's Door whilst on the boss 3 times. I've brought him to Ruins as well and he's been doing fine.
>>
>>385708597
>That is LITERALLY the fucking sound from The Thing.

Not really. The Thing's roar is low and guttural, the stalker is extremely high. You can even clearly hear a boiling kettle whistling in there. About the only similarity is they are both long and The Thing did not invent long roars.
>>
File: Doom-2016-01.png (193KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
Doom-2016-01.png
193KB, 460x215px
completely unironically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_o8AWu2N4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uUfk6LxgK8
>>
>>385704225
I don't know if this counts but Dota 2's sound design is actually great, I'd say that the vast majority of skill sounds fit the skill and are easily recognizable
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME&t=330s
>>
>>385708819
DICE have fantastic sound design in their games.
Battlefield 1 and Battlefront have superb sound even if the games themselves aren't that great.
>>
>>385708928
I didn't mean to reply to you btw.
>>
>>385704225
ITT: People who don't know what "sound design" means.
>>
>>385709064
Yeah i dont really know either
I just picked one with nice well designed sound effects
>>
>>385709178
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_design
>>
>>385708530
i liked it
>>
>>385704225
Dead space was pretty good as far as I remember
>>
Minecraft
>>
File: nvi7WJf4_400x400.jpg (16KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
nvi7WJf4_400x400.jpg
16KB, 390x390px
Anything made by Valve, really.
>>
>>385708530
I agree with you, but there's no need to be assblasted by people enjoying something.

I don't ubderstand why no one has matched or really tried to match SotN yet. It has such great music and artstyle. The sprites and backgrounds are beautiful and gothic creepy like. Gameplay is straight forward, snappy and works beautifully, movement feels natural and empowering.

All these indy games either have lame map design and almost always terrible animations. They have this sort of flash game aesthetic to them which does no one any favours. But srsly, the animations. Wtf were the people doing who made apotheon and salt and sanctuary?
>>
>>385704225
DICE thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYjzwSsEh8
>>
>>385709659
KANGZ thread
>>
>>385707953
This, except the fast techno music doesn't fit so well in the beginning when you're still pretty weak but it works later in the game when you're stronger.
>>
>>385708928
Yes. Bad Company 2 still stands out in my mind as great soubd design in a war game. When you shoot a gun indoors it sounds jarring and different, explosions near you give off a cool effect. The soldier shouts give it character and every one of them has his own, distinctive voice. War tapes audio option is a must
>>
>>385709295
i don't get what this is trying to prove?
>>
I'd like to throw Goldeneye in there. Eventhough most of the sounds are ancient stock sfx. I think it fits the game really well

>Soldier scream wheb run over by tank
>Rocket launcher sound
>That reloading sound
>>
Dark Souls of course
>>
>>
>>385709985
I wouldn't call all of DaS excellent sound design. Its mostly either corny-to-okay battle sounds and the odd ambience drone
And dont forget walking on lava sound
>WOOFWOOFWOOFWOOF
>>
File: fbqga37xvlky[1].jpg (39KB, 656x552px) Image search: [Google]
fbqga37xvlky[1].jpg
39KB, 656x552px
>>385710209
>WOOFWOOFWOOFWOOF
>>
>>385710209
That's the sound of the lava being repelled by the magic of the ring.
>>
File: 02_Morgan.jpg (783KB, 3260x2035px) Image search: [Google]
02_Morgan.jpg
783KB, 3260x2035px
Ace Combat had great sound design all the way back to the PSX/PS2 days.
For example, in Ace Combat Zero, instead of giving all pilots the same radio filter, they're all distinct based on what plane they fly and what microphones they use.

Pixy's radio chatter will have a higher-pitched hum from the double-engines of the F-15, which becomes lower-pitched when he switches to the heavier Morgan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9_ImsXqgk

The engine hum in PJ's radio chatter is less deep since he flies the single-engine F-16.
https://youtu.be/jF9_ImsXqgk?t=1h8m35s (1:08:35)

AWACS Eagle Eye sounds like he's sitting in the cabin of an airliner, and his general voice and microphone is clearer and has less static, since he sits farther away from his mic than the fighter pilots who have theirs right in their mouths.
https://youtu.be/jF9_ImsXqgk?t=29m30s (29:30)
>>
>>385708530
Your story synopsis is pretty shit, vague and inaccurate.
"Alucard if he was made by a tumblr artist" hardly seems like an accurate representation or even one of any substance.
The game isn't particularly hard but also not devoid of any challenge.
My judgement may be tainted due to all the shitposting surrounding this game but there doesn't actually seem to be any solid criticism present in this post and the knowledge required to construct it seems surface level enough to imply that the game remains unplayed by this poster (or that it may even be unoriginal pasta, which it is since I just checked the archives and came up with several copies of this post) and that the post is purely for the sake of shitposting the game out of spite and/or getting (you)s.
Also fuck you I liked it and I've played a handful of Metroidvanias.

>>385710461
I'm fairly certain the sound is the same when you're not wearing the ring but you also die really fast when not wearing it.
>>
>>385710209
Some parts were done really well though, like the transition from the Great Hollow to Ash Lake where looking at the sky/roof causes the music to kick in.
>>
killing floor 2 has pretty good sound design, tripwire doesnt like using it though
>>
File: isolation.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
isolation.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Alien Isolation
>>
>>385704225
Gun point
>>
>>385708623
it sounded pretty gud even on znes as far as i remember.
>>
File: Logo-Lost_Planet_2.png (228KB, 1000x479px) Image search: [Google]
Logo-Lost_Planet_2.png
228KB, 1000x479px
It's a 10/10 game
>>
>>385708896
This was easily GOTY but /v/ refuses to accept it because they don't realize /vr/ exists
>>
>>385714739
Better Monster Hunter than Monster Hunter.
>>
>>385704225
Thief 1 & 2 fuck your hard mode
System Shock 2
Alien Isolation
Dead Space 1 & 2
Half-Life 1 & 2
Ori and the Blind Forest

>>385708896
D44M's sound design and mixing is awful, half the weapons sound and feel anemic, most of the enemies are almost inaudible, the explosions are probably the quietest of any video game, etc.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.