[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock reboot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: System Shock reboot.jpg (80KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
System Shock reboot.jpg
80KB, 680x383px
Is this going to suck or live up to the original?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcFU6kXeZ4
>>
>>385665039
no, it will flop hard
>>
>>385665039
>maxofs2d is working on it
what do you think?
>>
>>385665039
They said that they're going to change leveldesign, so it's hard to believe in it now
>>
>>385665039
they switched to unreal instead of unity? that's a semi-good sign
>>
>>385665278
I don't know who that is.
>>
File: 1483966026584.png (3MB, 716x5594px) Image search: [Google]
1483966026584.png
3MB, 716x5594px
>>385665439
this should explain it
>>
File: File_000.jpg (114KB, 753x753px) Image search: [Google]
File_000.jpg
114KB, 753x753px
I think and hope it's not going to flop.
I mean someone in the thread said they are changing level design and I didn't know it, but we still gotta see to what extent.
If the game remains 95% untouched like Black Mesa, it ain't going to flop.
It's not like it's going to be a big deal as new players won't even bother with this kind of gameplay, but a good chunk of old timers definitely would buy/play it since it looks pretty gorgeous (as long as it maintain fidelity with everything else).
>>
>>385665317
Not like the original had good level design
>>
>>385665887
i liked black mesa because i think it kinda pulled a REmake
>>
System Shock is one of the greatest video games ever made, arguably THE greatest. A shallow "muh grafix" reboot could never compare.
>>
>>385665984
It had, and it's still much better than second one
>>
>>385666610
Come on, no need to be the contrarian of the situation to prove yourself you're part of the elite. The game is fucking unplayable for today's standards.
>>
its a remake for """"""""""modern audiences""""""""" and furthermore its an appetizer to wet your appetite for ss3 which will also be for """"""""""modern audiences""""""""""""
>>
>>385666610
If its the same damn game but with better graphics, how could it NOT be better?
>>
>>385666880
I played it one year ago for a first time, fuck off
>>
>>385666943
>If its the same damn game

it's not
>Fader also clarified that they now considered the game a more "faithful reboot" than a remaster; the game's story, character, weapons, levels, and enemies remain as in the original game, but they are applying "modern design principles" to rework some of these and add in others to make the game more playable for current audiences.

get ready for takedowns, bloody screen edges, heavy breathing, take cover to not die, and all the "modern amenities"
>>
Anyone else just want more games with this, Deus Ex, and Bloodlines with those dated visuals? Every game in this style's environments always seem so overdesigned and needlessly cluttered with few memorable setpieces as a result these days.
>>
>>385667209
Oh well. Good job i played the original last week then. Nothing will be lost.
>>
>>385667003
'Cuz "muh /v/ taste" and the various influences you get from sub-vidya-culture around the internet.
The game is good, and if you liked it I don't see why you would be against a remake with bearable graphics, assuming the only thing they're going to change is this.
Nobody other than autistic persons like you would willingly go through that punch in the eye, 24 years old game in today's times. Doesn't matter how good it is.
>>
>>385667226
I think you're confusing System shock 1 with the second game. The 2 is really good to play even today.
>>
>>385667226
I do think the blocky design adds to the creepiness in SS1 and SS2. Despite the enemy in this reboot looking faithful to the original, it looks silly with more detailed models.
>>
>>385666880
What a load of bullshit. You have a fucking brain, try using it sometime. I played SS1 for the first time two years ago with no mods and it left that impression on me. It would be my favorite game of all time if not for Doom mods.

>>385666943
It won't be the "same damn game but with better graphics". Shit will undoubtedly be cut down, streamlined, simplified. You really think energy weapons will have the granularity they did in the original? I'd be surprised if we got more than two firing modes.
>>
>thinking systemshock but with system shocks 2 controls is going to possibly flop cause muh graphics

lel enjoy your not shitty 2d pixels and baste in grorius unreal engine
>>
File: harmed.gif (2MB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
harmed.gif
2MB, 500x370px
>>385665039
I got hyped I must say.

But as time goes on, all I can feel is that it's going to suck shit, which is pretty sad.
>>
File: 1453361677616.jpg (414KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453361677616.jpg
414KB, 1920x1080px
>>385667720
SS1 in SS2 engine would be fantastic. While I think I'll enjoy this remake better, if only because the controls in 1 make it difficult for me to enjoy it, I don't know if they'll try to streamline too much to appeal to younger audiences. Hopefully not and I'm keeping my expectations above average.
>>
>>385665039
Just wait for Otherside to make the actual SS3, OP.
>>
>>385665039
The original will always exist. At least this will preserve the level design and some of the atmosphere of the first game.
>>
>>385668207
Why not both? At least original 1 won't go anywhere.
They still haven't shown anything new about 3, right? Fucking hell, I just want SS3 and Cyberpunk 2077 to come out.
>>
Fuck the control of the original.

Tampering with the level design is retarded, though.
>>
File: 1492204659383.jpg (885KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492204659383.jpg
885KB, 1920x1080px
>>385668514
>They still haven't shown anything new about 3, right?
its years away. they only just started showing concept art back in may. the ss1 remake wont even be out until next year either.
>>
>>385667462
>Nobody other than autistic persons like you would willingly go through that punch in the eye, 24 years old game in today's times
I did and there wasn't any problems with it. Also I don't have autism. Fuck off
>>
File: 1487683470369.png (14KB, 875x593px) Image search: [Google]
1487683470369.png
14KB, 875x593px
>>385668479
>some of the atmosphere
All signs point to the developers having zero experience with or respect for the original system shock. Looks like they're going for more of a horror feel, when SS1 is action as fuck. It's a game where you rollerskate through neon corridors slicing up cyborgs with a laser sword. Even at the start when you've got little more than a pipe, you're tripping balls on berserk patches while smashing mutants into pulp by the dozen. Certainly, there's horror imagery and events, but most of the gameplay is as far removed from it as you can get.
>>
File: 10e.png (156KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
10e.png
156KB, 800x800px
>>385669174
Fuck. I've been on a slump for getting invested in games. It's either SS3, 2077, or a possible cyberpunk soulsborne from From.
Guess I'll have to get an actual life.
>>
the demo they released was fun, imo

I really really hope its going to be good
>>
>>385665173
Who cares how well it sells, will it be good?
>>
>>385665039
I know its pre-alpha but holy shit does that combat look atrocious, if ANYTHING that's what should have been totally redesigned, because dated combat mechanics will do nothing but hamper this game's' experience.
>>
I'm glad they ditched Unity for Unreal. I think it might be good based solely on that move.
>>
>>385665039
I wonder if I'll ever finish System Shock 2, I had fun with it but the controls take so much practice when coming back to it after long breaks.
>>
>>385670608

its WASD and an inventory button, you nerd
>>
>>385670075
I hope they fix it. The demo felt terrible because of it. It was that specific melee where if you're not aiming specifically at the enemy, it doesn't register the whole arc of the attack.
>>
>>385670608
SS1, sure I get. It takes a bit to get used to a system no longer used. SS2 though, it's pretty modern, it's just that the UI shows everything instead of having a quick bar.
>>
>>385670657
>>385670808
I suppose I worded my statement improperly, I should have said that the inventory mechanics and the need for leaning around corners, as well as constantly switching between my weapon and my PSI orb thing is tedious and takes me at least an hour to two hours of straight fiddling to get fluid with it again.

I'm not a casual but things like that always fuck with me, totally worth the time though because that game is really neat.
>>
>Im not a casual
>uses Psi
>>
>>385670683
I'd rather they not make it revolve around slugfests this time around, and allow critical aiming to be implemented as to reward strong aim and tactics.

I don't want Skyrim sneak attacks or anything but it breaks the immersion just swinging the pipe over and over again until they die instead of crippling them with an unexpected swing/PSI attack.
>>
>>385671306
>Not using the most interesting part of the combat system
>Not utilizing the ability to grab thing out of your reach

I don't understand that's like saying you shouldn't use plasmids in Bioshock, or not using force abilities in The Force Unleashed.
>>
>>385671178
I forget but I think there's quick select option to help out. Also the leaning isn't that necessary. You walk at Doomguy speeds so going around corners is rather fast.
>>385671372
I want that as well. The baiting for an attack strategy gets old fast.
>>
>>385671608
I guess I simply get hesitant to run around corners quickly without observing what's around said corner, because my first playthrough is on Hard so I feel as though running in to enemies blindly fucks me over real bad.

I'm also just a sucker for mechanics like that so I guess I overutilize it.

Really even just having weak points on enemies like the head or exposed wounds would detract from the monotony of the combat, just ANYTHING other than swing swing swing swing victory.
>>
>>385672005
I do think lean mechanics should be in more games. I guess I just tend to prefer speed over caution. Only during particular fucked moments do I use lean in SS2, also because I always forget if the AI can see me while leaning or not.
I replayed the demo twice and I don't think it had any critical damage implementation. Could be wrong but either way, the "demo" is pretty much just a prototype of the first 10 minutes as a way to convince people to pay the kickstarter.
Which is why I wasn't bothered by having the code to the door right next to the keypad, since I assumed they were still possibly cleaning the original audio a bit, or were still working that part out.
>>
>>385672695
FYI, you can be stealthy in System Shock 2.
It uses the same stealth mechanics as Thief (same engine, after all).
You can use shadows to hide from enemies and use the "tip-toe" walk to walk through areas without being heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0CP8AgKGaM
>>
>>385672908
That's good to know, thank you friend.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.