[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played a Dragon Quest before. Want to start with 8. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: dragon-quest-viii-3ds.jpg (367KB, 702x336px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-viii-3ds.jpg
367KB, 702x336px
Never played a Dragon Quest before. Want to start with 8. Does this game actually has a good complex story or is it just the usual jrpg story?
>>
>>385655271
if you're playing a DQ game for a "complex" story then just play something else. The point of these games is that they don't change. They look prettier but still hold on to traditions very closely.

DQ8 is loved because out of all the DQ games this one's actually the only one that actually feels like a modern game.
>>
Dragon Quest 8 is great, but the story isn't too complex no. JRPGs don't really have both complex and decent stories, its more of a pick 1 or none situation.
>>
>>385656162

If the story of DQ8 is as complex as say FFVII then its enough for me but if its as simple as say Zelda then maybe I won't have much fun.
>>
>>385655271
If you're going to play it, do it on an emulator.
>>
>>385656798
it's not complex at all, that's not what the series is about
>>
>>385657472

Then what is the series about? A good story is must for a rpg for me.
>>
What DQ is the best to start?
>>
>>385656798
It's far far closer to a Zelda story than something like FF7. DQ8 is very minimal story wise. That being said its a fun game
>>
>>385657846
good or complex?
>>
>>385657846
The series is about being the last bastion of AAA turn based fantasy rpgs without adopting any nuances from the outside world. That's why they don't bother marketing it outside of Japan
>>
>>385657846

It's the most generic JRPG I ever played and I stopped after the first dungeon.

The graphics were pretty to look at on the 3DS and Yangus was cool but god
the gameplay is fucking boring.
>>
>>385655271
>Does this game actually has a good complex story

No. None of the games do. The game is fairly padded out by the sheer amount of optional shit you can do though. But it's still a big grindfest like all the other DQ games.

The series isn't all that popular outside of Japan for good reason. It's about as niche as all those shitty loli simulators on PS Vita. In fact, I'm sure the only thing that keeps DQ afloat is the fanservice.
>>
>>385657874

The gameplay really doesn't differ that much from one game to the next. Just play DQ 1 - 3 in that order, then drop the series and move on. There's not much innovation to be had after that.
>>
>>385655271
The story is is simple, but good, I don't see why it would need to be complex and hard to understand in order to be a good story.
>>
Is DQ8 at least challenging? Or is the difficulty also simple?
>>
>>385658575
It's not challenging as long as you're at an appropriate level, it's not like the combat is too deep or anything.
>>
>>385657846
In DQ 8 you're following a bad guy, you get to a town, solve a problem caused by him, move on to the next one think of it like an episodic anime where each town is its own separate episode.

There's some character interactions between the main cast, but most of the story comes from what problems the people from each town are facing and how they react after you help solve them, there's some good stories but don't expect some grandiose quest, since is mostly an adventure, if you liked how Chrono trigger handled towns there's some of that in here.
>>
>>385658575
If you don't make decently good use of buffs later on, you'll get stomped by bosses, assuming you don't overlevel yourself.
>>
The gameplay stay the same throught the games or there is a difference?
>>
>>385659685
It stays the same conceptually but there are some tweaks and upgrades along the way and 8 streamlines it a lot.
>>
>>385657846
They're just really well-made simple JRPGs, and that's why they're so beloved. There's an elegance to them that you don't find in most JRPGs because Dragon Quest doesn't make sweeping changes to itself. You can pick any game and pretty much know what you're getting into and be satisfied.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.