[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Sony do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

File: no really.gif (3MB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
no really.gif
3MB, 650x366px
How did Sony do it?
>>
>>385649219
it had games and it was cheap
>>
>>385649219
A good library, good hardware, and extended support even when the ps3 came out.
>>
DVD player
>>
dvd was new and ps2 worked as both a game console and dvd player
>>
File: 1494889495715.png (792KB, 1290x1491px) Image search: [Google]
1494889495715.png
792KB, 1290x1491px
Better yet, how do they continue selling so well?
>>
>>385649295

FPBP, nothing to it really. The PS2 had more good games than all of the competition combined and it was at a reasonable price point.
>>
By being a multibillion dollar conglomotate with decades of international marketing experience instead of being a small family toymaker or an arcade repair company. I don't know what happened with microsoft
>>
shit could play dvds had a ton fuck of games
plus that sony quality back in the day with those triniton tvs
>>
VHS was phasing out/ no longer being printed and it was cheaper than buying a dvd player.
>>
>>385649219
Sony stayed true to their decade of support with the PS1. made it easy for Units to fly off the shelf when they realized PS2 would be getting videogames into 2010
>>
>>385649432
Sony was the only one that didn't self destruct this gen, xbone was doa with the shit they were talking about before launch and the wii u just tanked.
>>
>>385649295
>it was cheap
LOL
it costed €400-500 the first month when I bought mine thanks to the dvd player
>>
Why is the Gamecube commonly referred to as a blunder when it only sold 2mil less than the Xbox? The PS2s success was an unprecedented anomaly, so of course everything else looks like a failure by comparison.
>>
File: 71f.png (330KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
71f.png
330KB, 557x605px
Has anyone questioned why after Sega left the market and Sony entered, why the PlayStation brand was so successful thereafter? Excluding the massive failure that the PS4 and Vita was, PlayStation has just been that mainstream console for some odd reason.
>>
>>385649527
Same here, I've been born & raised playing the PS, since then I haven't changed.

Most of my friends have PS's or changed to them.
>>
>>385649482
>I don't know what happened with microsoft
The Xbox was too late, too expensive and lacked games. It was a good console though. Well-built and powerful for its day. MS leaned a lot from it that they applied to 360.
>>
>>385649310
This.
>>
>>385649219
Good exclusives + normie options + marketing

>HEY!! HEY LOOK!!! LOOK HOW WELL MY CORPORATE MASTER'S CONSOLE SOLD! This matters to (((us))) fellow gamers emirite?
>>
It was insanely easy to talk your parents into buying. " No look it plays games and dvds"

It was a 2 in 1 machine, so you can imagine the library of games and movies available at the time why would anyone have gotten the other consoles?
>>
>>385649219
It was a cheap DVD player. And sony had the funds to mass market it.
>>
>>385649850

Continued decline from N64 and the Xbox was Microsoft's first console so they literally built their marketshare from 0.

PS2 was just a monster and eventually just kind of became a self perpetuating cycle. Everyone had one so you might as well get one and since everyone has one all the good games are out for it so why the hell not.
>>
By having good advertisement. They always murder the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK03aVJekGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et5_YQO3L-M
>>
>>385649310
I told my dad the PS2 could play DVDs but he didn't believe me. He thought I was lying so that he would buy the console for me. He ended up buying a DVD player that cost almost as much as a PS2. The only thing my dad had on DVD was Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon and he didn't even watch the whole thing.
>>
>>385649854

It's basically been a two way race since Nintendo went out on their own path so there aren't really a lot of options. That Microsoft basically went toe to toe with them last generation really speaks to Microsoft fucking up royally more than the PS4 doing anything that special. Until something crazy happens I imagine the foreseeable future is Sony and Microsoft continuing the normal generational upgrade each being at least successful enough to make money.
>>
File: h.png (93KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
h.png
93KB, 250x249px
>>385649854
>massive failure that the PS4 was
>>
>>385650603
>That Microsoft basically went toe to toe with them last generation really speaks to Microsoft fucking up royally more than the PS4 doing anything that special.

It says more about how badly Sony fucked up with PS3 than anything MS did well.
>>
>>385649432
Because the Japs actually develop hardware instead of social media platforms and smartphone games, so their products just end up with a little more elvish Japanese magic than their direct competitor's.

Microsoft even attacked the PS3 for being "too hard to develop for" because of the system architecture.

Nintendo just goofed with the Wii U, that was incredibly lucky for Sony.
>>
>>385650752 >>385649854

Oh shit. I didn't even catch that mistake. I meant PS3, comparatively speaking as well as financially.
>>
>>385649854
Nintendo worked with Sony on the Playstation before abandoning it, pissing off all the companies who were developing games for the CD platform. N64 therefore had no games. The Sega platform didn't have a DVD player and was difficult to design for, which also turned off developers; Dreamcast therefore also had no games.

Anybody who wasn't on PC or Playstation at the time was a fucking fanboy retard. Smash and Zelda and Soul Calibur could not possibly compare to the Sony library and level of support.
>>
>>385650792

Not really. By that time they were getting GTA same day and Call of Duty became the cultural juggernaut thanks as much to Xbox Live as anything.
>>
>>385649986
Typical drone.
It sold well because of the dvd player.

But you'd know ALL about that having been alive at that time right?
>>
Because of piracy. I live in a shithole. Even people that lived in literal shanty towns have multiple PS2s and some even have them on their vehicles.
>>
>>385650938
Sony didn't "need" the PS3 to succeed. The PS2 was both a hit game console and a hit cutting-edge appliance and they still had all their other business ventures (like all the Spider-Mans). The PS4 could have been a dog turd in a box and Sony still wouldn't be in danger of not being able to put out a PS5 with improved haptic dog turd controls.
>>
>>385649219
During that time, the PS2 was actually the cheapest DVD system to get, considering you're getting a console and a DVD player in one package. That's why It sold so well. More bang for your buck.

And they had a shitton of fucking games.. Reason being the developer kits were also easy to make so they kept churning game after game.
>>
>>385649219

The deal with Rockstar games definitely helped.
>>
>>385649432
A perfect storm that kept on giving.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot, and wii u was doa. Plus the fact that sony actually releases games makes more people attracted to the console.
>>
>>385651379
Sony lost 5 billion dollars on PS3. It's the biggest lost in gaming history.
>>
>>385651357
>Because of piracy

If no one else thinks it was the DVD that helped PS2 selling so well you're an uneducated retard and underage.
>>
Cheapest DVD player worth a damn that could still play games. It was largely momentum from there,
>>
File: Wii 353454.jpg (12KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
Wii 353454.jpg
12KB, 440x330px
>>385649219

Reminder basing it off metacritic scores and lifespan, the Wii had far more shovelware than the PS2, making it rightfully the king of shitty shovelware casual baby games.
>>
>>385651647
It helped but not the primary reason. PS2 was held back for a few years in some countries because there were no official support/distribution. There were already cheaper DVD players when it was released.

So you're the uneducated retard and underage here.
>>
>>385651859
>There were already cheaper DVD players when it was released.

Nope. Not true at all. DVD players were still fucking expensive when the PS2 launched.
>>
>>385649908
Oy. What got deleted?
>>
it was a DVD player that could also play games, yet was cheaper than most DVD players
>>
>>385651859
You're still wrong pleb.

PS2 sold well enough that it drummed up hype in other countries, so by the time it released there everyone wanted one.
>>
>>385651964
>>385652098
>PS2 was held back for a few years in some countries because there were no official support/distribution
Learn to read retards. Or are you people implying here that underage sheltered first worlders knows more than someone who lived in a shithole his whole life?
>>
File: the wii was a gay piece of shit.jpg (38KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
the wii was a gay piece of shit.jpg
38KB, 355x500px
>>385651686

Basically to clarify, the Wii lived for roughly half as long as the PS2, but still had more shovelware, whereas the PS2 lived twice as long yet still had slightly less shovelware. If you compare the consoles by lifespan, meaning the first few years and not the entirety of the console, the Wii probably has double the amount of shovelware, basically. So the Ps2 lived 12 years and the Wii only 5 years, meaning in it's last few years of life the PS2 had a chance to accumulate a disproportionate amount of shovelware due to lack of developer support, but the Wii in it's prime, full of developer support still had slightly more shovelware than the PS2, based on metacritic scores.

I remember it being spammed that the PS2 had more shovelware by Nintendo fanboys in the early days of the Wii, but facts show otherwise.
>>
>little cucks who spent years of their life shitposting sony
>they cant anymore because theyve been cucked ijnto believe microsoft has a chance
>>
>>385652212
I wasn't even replying to that and you're still wrong. Educate yourself on console history you fucking dumbass. PS2 sold well because of the built-in DVD player and it was the cheapest, no matter what country it was from. Deal with it.
>>
>>385651686
a soft modded wii fucks the hell out of a shitty ps2.
>>
>>385652391
>Deal with it.
Literally underage. Ask your mom to change your diapers before spewing bullshit you saw online.
>>
>>385649219
It was a cheap alternative to a DVD player
>>
>>385649219
2 words:
DVD Player
>>
>>385652494
>He still doesn't think the built-in DVD player wasn't a huge factor in why the PS2 sold so well

Everyone laugh at this retard!
>>
>>385652815
it had good games and a good reputation because of ps1
>>
Sony always wins
>>
File: 630x.jpg (90KB, 630x554px) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
90KB, 630x554px
>>385651357
>Because of piracy.

Dreamcast played burned games day 0 and it failed.

Look at this image.
Fall/Winter 2001:
Ace Combat
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Gran Tourismo 3 A-Spec
GTA3
ICO
Jak & Daxter
Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 2

AND THAT IS ONLY EXCLUSIVES. All that PLUS every 3rd party dev had all their games out on PS2.

PS2 still has the best library besides PC. No console comes close.

PS2 won because of the great games, good performance (Yes, gamecube was better but ps2 held its own. Ofc xbox stomps it as it came out way later and bigger.)
AND it played DVDs.In 2000 DVDs just hit mainstream and dedicated players was still expensive.
>>
>>385649310

Keep rationalizing your crushing defeat
>>
>>385652930
So did Nintendo, if not more of a positive reputation over Sony. And the Gamecube fucking failed. All the cool edgy kids had a PS2 and a GTA game.
>>
>>385652930
It did have a decent rep due to the PS1, but the launch lineup was fairly typical and it didn't have 4 controller ports despite the gen before making it obvious consumers wanted it.

Sony was also massively helped by the Xbox coming late to the party and the Cube only having mini-DVDs meant that if you wanted to lump your DVD player and console purchase into one the PS2 became a no-brainer.
>>
>>385653275
That's insane, every single one of those games are good
>>
File: The power of nigger fanbase..png (18KB, 509x299px) Image search: [Google]
The power of nigger fanbase..png
18KB, 509x299px
Cheap DVD player that spics and niggers bought to play GTA, Fifa, and Madden.
>>
>>385653434
>>385653358
so how did ps1 sell way better than nintendo and sega
>>
>>385653712
Because discs were way, way fucking cheaper than carts, and those savings were passed onto the consumer.

The PS1 was the poor kid's console. Everyone had that rich friend with the N64.
>>
>>385653667
>ABLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO

Stay butt blasted, bitch.
>>
>>385653275
That's a lot of mediocre games. The only decent title on there is MGS2 and Ace Combat. Ico and SH2 are shitty "games" that helped start the artfag bullshit we put up with now. DMC is basically Ninja Gaiden for braindead retards who just want to juggle enemies while their buddies sit around and do nothing. GT was never good.
>>
>>385653886
What's wrong Juan? Did your fifth cousin get deported?
>>
>>385653957
Here's your (You)
>>
>>385653667
so gta is bad now alright nintenkiddies
>>385653862
you know ps1 costed 300 and n64 200 and ps1 and n64 games costed the same price it just costed more for devs
>>
>>385653358
Given how each console had their strengths and weaknesses in both sheer power and 3D rendering, let's assume it cancels each other out. That gives us one leftover problem, capacity size. If you were to ask developers if they want to develop for a console with 64mb capacity or 650mb capacity plus multiple discs if needed, it was probably a no brainer. And don't assume that using more 64mb automatically means no optimization, very few non-N64 games manage to be under 64mb. Reminder that PS2 games used to be 650mb, then it became 4.7GB, then eventually expanded to be dual layer DVD9 which was about 8.5GB. Xbox had guaranteed hard drive storage in every home. Meanwhile Nintendo yet again was held back by 1.5GB on the mini discs. They were cute looking but I'm sure the capacity drove away developers yet again. The argument isn't "well you should've optimized better and crunch it down to 1.5GB!" but rather "good job Nintendo not even giving a shit trying to make competitive offerings."
>>
>>385654145
>You know the PS1 costed 300
>Costed
English as a second language, I hope, or else you're retarded.

Anyway, yes, I did.

>PS1 and N64 games costed the same price

Yup, you're retarded. PS1 games typically went for $30-40 while N64 games were priced from $60 to $80. Which meant that the price disparity between the consoles evaporated within 5 game purchases.
>>
>>385649219
I think DVD playback built in was a pretty big factor. PS2 came out well before Gamecube and Xbox, and Dreamcast couldn't play DVDs. Also, backwards compatibility with the PS1's already vast library was a big help as well. It launched at just the right time with just the right hardware.
>>
>>385653667

>Biggest exclusive on the PS2 still outsells X2 the biggest exclusive on GCN but I'll leave that out
>>
>>385654038
Nope.

Just keep >>>/pol/catalog off of /v/
>>
>>385649219
DVD player. I was a Nintentard and was shocked when my Mom brought one home. They literally sold it to her as a DVD player "that could play games too!".

That's what ending up breaking my loyalty to any one console. That and eventually being able to afford every system and game I want.
>>
>>385650496
Of course he didn't watch the whole thing; it was a shameless ripoff of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
>>
>>385649219

All the money they made from the PS2 went down the drain thanks to the PS3
>>
The PS2 is shit for the same reason every Playstation console outside of the PS1 is shit. Not a single worthwhile multiplayer game. You get a gamecube and you can play PSO, Airride, and double dash with your friends. You get an Xbox and you can play Fusion Frenzy, Mechassault, Halo 2, Rainbow Six, and Phantom dust with your friends. You get a PS2 and you're doomed to play nothing but 400 hour mediocre JRPGs by yourself. Nobody as a kid went over to the PS2fags house.
>>
>>385654381

This sucked about having an N64 as a kid. I remember a lot of games like Goldeneye were $60 (the equivalent of $90 USD today) and never seemed to drop in price.
>>
>>385653275
>In 2000 DVDs just hit mainstream and dedicated players was still expensive
I never understood this. It was the same deal with the PS3 and Blu Ray players; it was tough to find a player for cheaper than a game console. It made no fucking sense.
>>
>>385654606

You are only making the PS2 look more patrician by virtue of having more single player games
>>
File: 418WB69K7FL.jpg (21KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
418WB69K7FL.jpg
21KB, 500x334px
>>385654606

it had plenty of MP games because every worthwhile game was on the PS2. The problem was that you needed pic related for >2 players.
>>
>>385654606
Thanks for letting us know how much of an underage retard you are.
>>
>>385649219

Xbox was notoriously hard to program for.

Gamecube was sentenced to lose because Nintendo lost a lot of 3rd party support from the N64, which they're still reeling from today.

Dreamcast failed because of a decade of bad decisions from Sega that ultimately lead to them withdrawing from the console race. Dreamcast itself was a pretty rad console, if not under powered, and didn't deserve the fate it fell into.
>>
>>385654789
SP games are the reason I never buy any games for Sony consoles. There's no reason to. I just rent them, beat them in an afternoon and then never touch them again.
>>
>>385654782

This wasn't as much the case with PS2/DVD. I remember my family got a DVD/VHS combo player in early 2001, a few months after PS2 launch, for $150. Dedicated BD players were crazy expensive, but recall that the PS3 was as well. They were taking huge losses to sell it at $500/$600.
>>
It was the dvd player of choice for most families across the world.
>>
>>385654869
>Plenty of MP games
Such as? No, MGO was not worth buying a fucking separate adapter just to play.
>>
>>385654947

But i thought JRPGs were 400 hours long?
>>
>>385654381
>>385654663
I'll never forget that Turok was essentially the Crysis of its time, and the $80 price sure as fuck showed. It's crazy how much has changed in just 20 years. I don't know whether to be excited or scared for the next 20 or 40 years.
>>
>>385654782
New hardware is naturally expensive as they refine their process, also certain costs relating to intellectual property are passed onto the manufacturer and then to the consumer. Early on for Blu-ray, for example, there was a lot of bidding for exclusive release rights to ensure that HD-DVD was denied key films.

Though the last laugh was on Sony, though. The PS3's marketing strategy hinged on it becoming a vehicle to offload massive numbers of Blu-rays, which the market didn't actually want in any large volume and especially not at the $50-60 price tag they were hoping. That's part of the reason why the PS3 was a lifetime cost to Sony rather than a profit.
>>
>>385649219
It had DVD player and half the price as other DVD players.
>>
>>385654606
>Hello, instead of one shit opinion, I will give you a whole bunch.

Thanks, friend. Now, go be retarded elsewhere.
>>
>>385655120
You basically beat JRPGs in 50 minutes as the combat will always just be selecting shit from a menu from start to finish.
>>
>>385654992
You're probably right. It's been so long that I'm likely misremembering details.
>>
>>385654942

>Xbox was notoriously hard to program for.

the opposite is true. Its called the Xbox because it uses DirectX. The original name for the console was to be the "directxbox". It was easy to program for, and even easier to port a Windows game to it. This is why Xbox got a lot of PC devs and PC ports compared to previous consoles.
>>
>>385655206
>he is actually using that 'video games are just pushing buttons' kind of logic

wow
>>
>>385654606
playstation had all the rainbow six games xbox had

Red Faction
multiple Dragon Ball Z games
multiple Tekken games
wwe games
rachet and clank
Socom
twisted metal black
>>
>>385649432
>Better yet, how do they continue selling so well?

People are too dumb to build a PC to play their multi-plats.
>>
DVD player. Check the games sales. The best selling games of PS2 was GTA san andread and it only sold 17.33 million out of 144 million.
>>
>>385654606
This guy never got invited to someones house to play MK: Shaolin Monks
>>
>>385649219
Cornered the third world market with the lowest pricepoint and the first world with the most games.
>>
>cheap dvd player
i wonder how
its really a mystery dude!
>>
>>385655725
also cheap dvd player. dvd players were still going for like 2-300 bucks at the time.
>>
>DVD Player

a cheap DVD Player was 100 bucks in 2000
>>
>>385655884
It's /v/'s latest meme, pay no mind to it.
>>
>>385655884
>DVD player
The PS2 launched at $299, a price generally accepted for new consoles. Considering this price was around what people usually paid for a new console, the DVD player looked like an added bonus. Consumers had the choice to either pay a similar price for a standalone DVD player, or purchase a DVD player that also played video games. Easy choice.
>>
>>385649219

All the multiplats, exclusives, and DVDs you could ask for.
>>
Check the games sales The best selling games of nds was New Super Mario Bros.
and it only sold 30 million out of 150 million
>>
>>385649219
Terrorists bought PS2 in droves.
>>
>>385656384
>terrorists bought PS2
you know that myth was disproved
>>
File: DEADLY TOUCH TARANTULA SPIDERS.jpg (8KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
DEADLY TOUCH TARANTULA SPIDERS.jpg
8KB, 170x170px
>>385655557
>Rainbow Six with no online
No thanks
>Red Faction
Why would I play the worst version of the game?
>DBZ games
Why would I play the worst versions of those games?
>Socom
Only franchise of Sonys I'm actually sad is dead along with Medievil. Too bad Sony couldn't keep their online working for more than 2 hours and as a result Zipper is dead in the ground.
>>
>>385656673
>DBZ
they were only on ps2 mostly until 2012
>>
>>385654606
Monster hunter was birthed on the ps2 and it's one of the bigger franchises out there now. MGO was also great.

I think I still prefer the ps1 to the ps2 but both are great. Nintendo peaked with the SNES. Sega was never great. Xbox1 had like 2 games I would love to emulate.
>>
>>385649219
Right hardware, right time, right price point, with games that a broad demographic would want to buy.
>>
>>385657516
>Monster Hunter
Why would I play Monster Hunter when PSO was the better grindfest?
>>
>>385649838
You were being gouged. It was 300 USD over here.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.