[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OoT, overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_2450.jpg (1MB, 4005x2250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2450.jpg
1MB, 4005x2250px
What am i missing /v/?
Everyone on this board seems to praise this game as some kind of masterpiece??
It's combat is incredibly simple and boring, it has a childish feel running through it and the "open world" just feels empty and pointless.

I think it's about time /v/ acknowledges how much a role nostalgia plays in it's recommendations. Is it really worth continuing?
>>
You're missing the fact that the game is not a Souls-like hack & slasher, and can't seem to understand and immerse yourself to simple adventure feel.
Nostalgia has nothing to do with the fact how great this game is. I played it for the first time back in 2010, and I was a total Sony kid all my life before that.
>>
File: 1469226744479.png (7KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1469226744479.png
7KB, 205x246px
At least we have ARMS to carry the Nintendo flag high.
>>
>>385610984
Yeah the combat is simple, but its an action adventure game. Im currently playing it on 3ds and enjoying it. I wouldnt call it a 10/10, but it is definately a good game that stands out in a sea of shit.
>>
>>385611464
So what?
>>
>>385610984

It was literally made for kids, wahat did you expect? The journey it takes you on is what's most important.
>>
>>385611462
This is a more fair analysis of the game, i just never understand how /v/ can shit all over good games with a few flaws and then praise a game as simple as OoT as some kind of shining example of a perfect game.
Last time i take any purchasing advice off this board
>>
It's about the puzzles and dungeon exploration. The "open world" serves like more of a hub between dungeons and their associated areas. You don't have to like it, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's overrated.
>>
>>385610984
>it has a childish feel running through it
I have to disagree with this. The opening area is pretty much the only "childish" part of the game. After you leave the forest, you feel completely alone and the world is going to shit almost everywhere you look. It's subtly darker than many M rated games if you ask me.
>>
>>385611639
>being simplistic yet solid means it's not good
>>
>>385611639
>/v/ is the only place e that hails this game

yeah okay retard
>>
>>385610984
You forget that the music and sfx are really good and fit the game, something that 99% of modern games can't do. Also the gameplay is solid without any fancy shit and theres a lot of it. it has good coherency overall which is very important. Sure, by today's standart its "just" a good game, but when you put into perspective when it came out and what else was out back then, you will realise why it has been praised so much
>>
>>385610984
All the OoT praise you see generally comes with an asterisk followed by "for its time". While some aspects of the game hold up even today, most of the fellatio it receives today is a result of how groundbreaking it was when it released.
>>
>>385611639

>/v/ is one person
>>
File: nothappy.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
nothappy.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>385610984
>muh "childish gamez"
>muh" combat is too simple for my advanced brain"
>muh "open world is pointless"
>muh nostalgiafags
>>
It all changed when egorapter made that shitty video
>>
File: stalfos.webm (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
stalfos.webm
1MB, 480x360px
>It's combat is incredibly simple and boring
>>
>>385612332
Move over dmc there's a new kid on the block
>>
File: 1490056561995.jpg (237KB, 850x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1490056561995.jpg
237KB, 850x1021px
>>385610984
It doesn't overextend on its directives

The combat works well; regardless of being simple there are very few (if any) times it becomes unmanageable.
The exposition cutscenes are extensive but always delivered after an achievement or series of tasks
All the music is a perfect delivery of tone and atmosphere, regardless of audio limitations
Dungeons are all themed perfectly and accessing each of them takes a different approach with thematically appropriate locations and items or characters
Characters have singular purposes and don't confuse the plot
Hyrule field is definitely too big but the only time i've ever found that it actively annoyed me was going for 100% with the poes and trying to find the postman

Not the best game ever, and suffers from the worse aspects of LttP, but capitalises on the concept of 'keep it simple, stupid' while also being ambitious.
Any new game that were to be released with the same design philosophies as OOT would have to be at least a great game
>>
Looks nice, has really interesting enemies, villages and people, great pacing, excellent split between puzzles and action, not too much fluff. That said for me it's
1. WW (does everything I mentioned but much more beautifully)
2. MM (more unique and interesting)
3. OoT (the classic, but doesn't do that extra that the above two do)
4. Twilight Princess (don't like the gimmicks, but is ok)
5. BotW (was just really awful and the total opposite of what I described above, no classic dungeon or village time, not interesting characters as far as I played and ugly as sin)
>>
>>385612162
>most of the fellatio it receives today is a result of how groundbreaking it was when it released.

Yeah basically

I wish there was some way for someone who didn't play it at release to really feel how mindblowing it was. I don't think looking at competing games at the time is enough. Sure there's a significant difference, but this generation doesn't have an example of a game that's basically from the future compared to everything else on the market. So we can't just say it's like that game.

But it's weird how the most cutting edge games are the ones that age the worst. It also has terrible replay value in general because the content in between dungeons is not interesting enough to do twice.
>>
>>385610984
>This thread again

Waaaah! Reeee! People like games I don't like so I'll continue making this thread in hopes that everyone will agree with me.

Please kill yourself TC!
>>
>>385610984
I played it for the first time in my life this year and loved it.
Back then games were just entering 3D era and everything was new. Game is simple (take in mind it was meant to be playable by children) but solid and very polished.
I literally always used every item and mechanic the game gave me. Modern games too often put pointless shit in their games that doesn't even matter.
I also entered this game without knowing shit about the plot and the world so exploring and finding new stuff was really fun.
It's a solid game and considering the time when it came out i can easily see why some would call it the best game ever.
>>
>>385612293
And was then spread by sites like Dorkly.
So as usual, it's just a meme that keeps getting pushed.
>>
>>385610984
If you didn't play it during release, then don't play it, sgut up and get over it.
>>
>>385614826
clevergirl
>>
>>385610984
Yes its not that good and it is nostalgia. But for some people its their favourite game because of it.
>>
File: 1489813930869.png (351KB, 486x438px) Image search: [Google]
1489813930869.png
351KB, 486x438px
Why does Zelda make /v/ so booty blasted?

Why doesn't /v/ whine about Final Fantasy 7 as often as they do Ocarina of Time?

>>385615502
What does that mean?
>>
>>385612873
Each of the 9 dungeons in the game has a different core mechanic, a 3D design forcing you to adapté to a 3 dimensional environment. Despite nearly two decades, there are almost nom other game sériés that tried to get 3 dimensional level design right. Besides From software with demon , dark souls and bloodborne, there has n t been a great advznture game with a great level design that was NT a puzzle game (portal, Talos principle). Everything else has vast open areas with mobs to trash but almost no care put in the level design
>>
>>385615820
why do ninten-drones get assblasted when their zoldo or smash bros melee aren't hailed as the GOTYAYOMFGBBQXD like they think it is.
>>
>>385615991
>Putting words in my mouth
>>
>>385616087
Thats quite hypocritical of you anon
>>
>>385610984
Fuck off underage
>>
I think we can all agree it's an excellent game but it isn't the GOAT.
>>
File: 1456613607562.jpg (37KB, 753x543px) Image search: [Google]
1456613607562.jpg
37KB, 753x543px
>>385616196
nintenbros called people underage
>>
>>385616234
Well you obviously diidn't play it when it came out
>>
>>385610984
The dungeons are the only good part. If you want a Zelda with a good overworld, MM is nice. The map in that game is much more "object dense" but smaller overall, but it makes it feel more engaging.
>>
File: 1474839317022.jpg (57KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474839317022.jpg
57KB, 720x480px
>>385616234
>but it isn't the GOAT

You don't decide that for anyone else. You let people decide that for themselves. What's it to you if someone considers it the GOAT?
>>
>>385610984
>Is it really worth continuing?
the main appeal i have for it is the atmosphere, tone, theme, lore, and the superficial idea of this kid going on a grand adventure; it actually more subtle and depressing that it appears. i still praise the mechanics today for how it innovated and introduced so many things and still managed to be playable and didnt age like crap. if ur peanut brain cant find any appeal in it, then no, dont bother. the fact u cant sit down, play, and come to a conclusion on ur own, and u have to ask some 4chan faggots for their opinion is pretty pathetic, though.
>>
File: 1500956533949.jpg (13KB, 280x373px) Image search: [Google]
1500956533949.jpg
13KB, 280x373px
>>385610984
>14 year old plays OoT
>"it's bad"
Ok
>>
>>385610984
The charm of the game seeped into me with repeated playthroughs

though WW and MM are better (depending on what you are looking for)
>>
how the fuck is "it's childish" a valid criticism?
>>
>>385617078
Neither of those are better than ocarina though
>>
>>385617718
*comes on /v/*
*expects valid criticism*
i was like u once. hopeful.
>>
>>385617796
MM was more creative
WW has more adventure
>>
>>385617718
It's the mark of a troll and shitposter. Since they don't have valid reasons for why they think the game is bad they make shit threads like this in hopes that other anons will argue for them.
>>
Name 5 games from the past 2 gens that are better than OoT at what it does. I'll be waiting.
>>
>>385617910
mm theme of repetition and how that factored into gameplay was absolutely fucking amazing.

ww is a fun game. the characters seem realised and the world is lovely.

oot is still pretty fucking depressing, and it started it all.
botw on the other hand... ehhhh.
>that story
>>
>>385618192
Call of Duty
Undertale
Super Mario Galaxy
Dark Souls
Minecraft
>>
>>385618709
if we judge quality from influence than LttP is better since OoT wouldn't exist without it.
>>
>>385618816
context does matter, in my opinion. for instance, it would be hard to enjoy a game if the developers behind it made it with some devious intent, or someshit like that; on the other hand, i love ocarina of time because contextually, it innovated, aged well, and grants me tons of nostalgia. this is just my unprofessional opinion. but even in a professional stance, i think context will always have influence, and i dont mind that. we arent fucking mindless computers that judge art objectively. everything is always fucking subjective, so why does it matter if context has an influence?
>>
>>385612813
>More beautifully

I just can't see it. The game is basically nothing but padding and it frustrates the shit out of me. There's no real major evolution to the formula, it's basically a fixed camera and added QTEs for flare
>>
>>385615820
Zelda is the pinnacle of overrated games that had a couple homeruns in the 90s some people say have aged and then never proceeded to do better than average after that

Aonuma is a man that rides the success of Miyamoto's creation and Koizumi's creative world building while never really giving as much back
>>
File: 1456787491225.jpg (20KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1456787491225.jpg
20KB, 320x320px
>>385610984
t. only played half of deku tree and went to shitposting hours
>>
>>385619728
i think its a "you love it or you hate it" type situation. the sailing i felt indifferent towards, but the sense of adventure, characters, and story made ww a solid experience. honestly. after playing as link, the emotionless robot from botw, i appreciate link from ww more. ww link can emote. all botw link does is stare and make fags honry.
>>
>>385611639
Sometimes simple is better. The more components you put into a game, the more there is to critique.
>>
>>385619983
Nintendo is too scared to give the Links a real character

Ironically Skyward Sword Link did a lot of the same dumbass shit as Wind Waker Link but it doesn't come out right because they can't animate more proportionate characters being idiots for some reason
>>
>>385620249
ss link emooootes, but the story doesnt really give those reactions enough to work it, if that makes sense. link from ww has a relationship with his sister and grandma/aunt? and when the sis is kidnapped u see how he develops. the king cunt makes him realise his sense of adventure and shit (as u can tell i ahvent played ww in quite some time). ss link just offers basic emotional responses. eh. his lips are also ugly as fuck. it looks like he just came back from eating ass.
>>
>>385610984
>childish feel
>criticism
You've got to be 20 years old max
>>
>>385620879
SS' story doesn't really give a lot of shit for it to work to begin with. You can tell they tried hard to focus on those controls and literally nothing else and still felt inclined to give you 6 heart containers in case the motion controls fucked you over
>>
>>385621145
considering i bought the game when it came out at age 12, and i was a fucking loz fanboy, yet i even thought the game suck, they must have fucked up real good.

i also like how the plot can reflect on the protag. oot link is literally a child that was selected to defeat this supreme fucking being because out of every cunt, he had the most courage. the shit he sees, the shit he experiences. it honestly probably fucked him over. and when oot link eventually does emote, it makes u sit back and realise "wow, this child is actually a human being with feelings who was kinda forced into this situation... huh". the dude who made the guy who made ss also made botw and minish cap. u can tell he focuses more on the art style, comedy, and world opposed to in depth themes, character development and subtle story telling.
>>
>>385621672
>the dude who made the guy who made ss
holy fuck folks. dont be devoid of sleep, be high, and listen to metal music all at once. it grinds ur fucking brain.
>>
File: DEANER FACE FOR THE MASSES.jpg (41KB, 600x307px) Image search: [Google]
DEANER FACE FOR THE MASSES.jpg
41KB, 600x307px
>>385612332
do you ever walk alone, like a drifter in the dark, seekin' what isn't there, lookin' only for a spark, from a girl who's all alone, maybe she's a driftin' too, like a shadow in the night, waiting just to meet with you.
>>
>>385621778
but anon, what if i'm devoid of sleep and high.
>>
>>385610984
Kids of today don't have a clue about game design. Whodda fucking thunk it?

I'm willing to bet any kind of money that today's kids would watch The Godfather and be bored as fuck because the first 40 minutes are focused on a wedding.

You understand nothing. And when you try to venture an opinion on a craft you clearly know nothing about, it's absolutely embarrassing. Don't stink the place up with your shite opinion.
>>
>>385622004
but anon, a movie like the godfather would definitely have a better narrative than any vidya. vidyas are trying too hard to be movies imo.
>>
>>385622252
The point is today's kids have grown up in a world of shit where Ass Creed and Bayformers are their 'standard' of entertainment. They're fucking clueless.
>>
I'm not saying OoT is the greatest game of all time but if you don't understand WHY people think it is you're automatically underage and should be autobanned.

People back then simply lost their shit over it because there was nothing quite like it and it's been copied to death since by so many other people it's jot even funny
>>
>>385610984
>"open world"

For one thing, OoT is not an open-world game. I don't know when this meme started. Even GameFAQs miscategorizes it as open-world. You have to move along rails until you obtain the Master Sword, and although you can do a bit of sequence breaking with the temples, this largely involves collecting key items first (or heading into temples, collecting their treasures, then exiting) before you can surmount whatever obstacles would normally prevent you from entering later temples.
>>
>>385622541
Kids born in '99 can post on this fucking website

The era of appreciating classics are over. Now everything has to be a deconstruction or nitpicked to death because nothing can be seen as just good anymore
>>
>>385622446
i would agree that oot had a prime story. time traveling taught me the importance of nostalgia and memory, and that shit is just going to change.
>>
>>385614826
>TC

This ain't GameFAQs, son. You have to be 18 or older to access this site.
>>
and I would definitely argue that for a story to really leave an impact, it has to teach you something meaningful that can be traced back to the reality.
>>
>>385610984
Just because you were too young to play it doesn't mean it isn't a masterpiece. The game was groundbreaking for its time and still amazing to play today.
>>
File: 1482678453229.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482678453229.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>tfw you realize Dark Souls and other recent games you like will garner the same treatment in the future
>>
>>385624352
Kids are dumb and ignorant. Its nothing new anon.
>>
Maybe it's just because I've played it a bajillion times but I'm also playing it right now and remain bored out of my mind. On the other hand I've replayed Majora's Mask a lot too and always have fun. I dunno
>>
>>385611639
>Agrees that the game is good
>"Last time i take any purchasing advice off this board"
Where's the logic anon?
>>
>>385624580
Zelda games in general don't have strong replay value.
>>
>>385611748
Stepping out into Hyrule town after becoming adult Link and seeing the pure destruction is still one of my favourite moments in gaming. Fantastic tonal shift that runs throughout the rest of the game.
>>
>>385624930
Didn't I just say I always replay Majora and have fun idiot? I also am playing LTTP and having fun
>>
File: 1439622391491.png (15KB, 210x260px) Image search: [Google]
1439622391491.png
15KB, 210x260px
It's a victim of the hype culture surrounding it, so whilst it was an excellent game when it came out which innovated the 3D third person action games being paraded as the "perfect game" (which isn't true in my opinion for a variety of reasons) and "best game ever" has unfortunately built up the mythos of the game which has supplanted the game's actual merits. So in a sense, yes it is overrated since the hype makes it sounds like it dispenses free blowjobs and weed.

However, I'd still say that picking up and playing OOT nowadays is not a nostalgia reliant experience but it still holds up as a good game.
>>
>>385624930
>Zelda games in general don't have strong replay value.

The ones that allow self-imposed challenges do, like swordless quests or 3-heart quests. But some games force you to carry a sword or pick up all heart containers (as dropped by bosses)
>>
>>385625282
This. There's no way OoT could possibly live up to its own hype, and that's a shame for people going in with high expectations. I personally played it in 2007 with no expectations and it's honestly my favourite game of all time.
>>
>>385610984
It's a shit game. Go play LttP. It's the same thing, except good, and 2D.

The whole appeal of OoT was that it was the first of its kind; the first 3D Zelda game. In reality it's a very barren, empty, lifeless game. Very barebones and basic. All the "puzzles" automatically solve themselves and the "combat" is just B spam / spin attack spam. It's a 3/10 game.
>>
>>385625531
b8
>>
Majora's Mask is the best 3D game.
A Link Between Worlds is the best 2D game.
>>
>>385624580
playing mm on a keyboard is fucking frustrating.
my nintendo is at my friend's place so i emulated.
>>
>>385625958
I love ALBW but honestly it has a lot of 3D game trappings that make it a bit difficult to replay it over and over. I really have to be in the mood to want to play through that game

ALttP is the only 2D game in the series that I feel is memorable and short enough to get through in a sitting or two and has enough buttons to comfortably blaze through unlike most of the portable games
>>
>>385610984
It's 20 fucking years old. What did you expect? Well done advertising yourself as either underage or barely old enough to post. You grew up in a privileged time of vidya.

Imagine being 7-8 years old and playing your N64 and dad brought home OoT and you flipping it on for the first time. There just wasnt anything like it on the entire fucking planet in 1998.

It is now 2017 and you will simply never understand. Closest thing you can get to knowing this feeling is having children and setting them free in BotW and watching them.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.