[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would alternative universe be an acceptable solution for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: Lady_Illucia_Barov_by_azazel1944.jpg (250KB, 1181x913px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_Illucia_Barov_by_azazel1944.jpg
250KB, 1181x913px
Would alternative universe be an acceptable solution for the World of Warcraft 2?
>>
go away metzen
>>
If (World of) Warcraft was to revived, you'd really rather get rid of precisely that kind of time travel/alternative universe insanity. It's not a good solution because it is one of the main problems in the first place.

If "sorry, we fucked up, let's return back to WC3 and let us retcon all the stupidity and tell the story as it really should have happened" is a no-go then they should at least have the decency to fast forward 20+ years for a new status quo with a healed world and mostly new characters and villains as opposed to coming up with yet another inane explanation for nameless adventurers entering yet another alternative universe. A new WarCraft RTS might also make the introduction of this new setting more compelling.
>>
>>385605173
He actually left blizzard before legion
>>385605857
>If "sorry, we fucked up, let's return back to WC3
I want them to retcon wc3
shit like arthas story was garbage that doesn't make any sense
>>
>>385606151
Make it "return back to WC3:RoC" or "return back to WC2" then. Although, in my opinion, WC3 (not necessarily TFT) is a rather clear starting point because it fleshes out the setting quite a bit (like introducing all the non-sentient/uncivilized races and critters) and has a more sensible set of factions (WoW is a bit silly to begin with by having a small group of refugees allied with a ragtag group of broken or lesser nations on even ground with hundreds of thousands of humans and dwarves, but at least you have a power base in Orgrimmar rather than starting out in Internment Camps).
>>
>>385607212
Orcs should have been put into death camps instead desu
>>
How about an alternate universe where Blizzard doesn't exist?
>>
>>385607831
Lol, you so funny
I bet you was a class clown
>>
>>385605124
Post more sexy arts.
>>
>>385607567
And then what are you left to work with? Seven human kingdoms, Ironforge, Quel'thalas and maybe Zalandar/Gurubashi trolls, maybe Stormpike dwarves or Dark Irons as a separate faction or something like that. I do think it might have been compelling for human factions other than Stormwind to play a more prominent role (and WC3 start does enable such a possibility), but while a Horde/Alliance kind of two-faction split isn't a necessity, being able to play as humans, other humans or minor nations that don't really amount to anything isn't very compelling, and I don't think a new Orcish invasion from the Dark Portal leads to interesting setting/gameplay either (you'd basically go straight to the front lines and ignore most of the world of Warcraft).
>>
>>385608326
>See FFXI > FFXIV
Is it a bait?
FFXI was always considered as one of the worst mmo ever made of that time while arr is loved enough
>everquest 1 and 2
EQ2 problems were msotly from techinacl side
They just followed first game example and made it very system requirments heavy, so of course it couldn't compete with wow because it could run on the mx video cards
>>
>>385608326
If Blizzard made the game right, still had it so it ran on lower end computers decently the game would be a instant success.

Imagine WoW with an update engine. Look at the shit they can pull off now with that old piece of shit engine.

I alone have over a dozen friends who would try the game after they've quit WoW for years now including myself.
>>
>>385605124
>Azazel
Patrician taste, I have blown gallons on his stuff as a horny teenager back in classic.

As to WoW, they should just declare everything story related after BC as non-canon/alternate universe and start from scratch with Warcraft IV, but sadly this is nu-Blizzard.
>>
>>385608613
those who liked ffxi really fucking liked it. wouldn't be surprised if it still has more players than some random f2p mmorpgs
>>
File: 1498909875731.jpg (360KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1498909875731.jpg
360KB, 3000x2250px
>>385608846
>now they don't have 500k subs between both games.
Proof?
Maybe they shouldn't launch dqx after original 14 too?
I know you consider everyone retarded except yourself, but no they wouldn't even launch third mmo if they didn't saw it as a profitable
Fucking 3 mmo bring only little less money than their 3-4 AAA yearly releases
>>
>>385607901
I bet you were the class faggot
>>
>>385608846
Only reason FFXIV didn't do so well is all the stupid decisions the devs made.

Everything in that game is such a fucking chore. Lots of shit still feels clunky as fuck after how many years after release now? Not to mention the console version holding the game back.

WoW 2.0 most likely wouldn't have these issues. Blizzard knows what their player base wants. It's all over their forums and other wow related forums as well as social media.

To fuck up WoW 2.0 you'd really have to try.
>>
>>385609604
>Not to mention the console version holding the game back
Yep, you even more retarded then guy you answered, good thing no sane person would ever take your opinion seriously
If MMO isn't developed with budget pc in mind, it would go to the trash bin with zero subs after 2-3months
>>
>>385610118
Don't be so blind as to think they're not holding them back. I'm not talking about "hurr low end graphics" I'm talking about the controller support.

There's a reason the combat is as slow as it is and how so many people don't want to play the fucking game because of it.

This is one of my opinions, please tell me how wrong I am. >>385609001

Do you even remember the countless threads making fun of the game for it's long global cooldowns? Why do you think the game has those? Do you honestly think it's to make the game more fun? More challenging? Get real.
>>
>>385610118
The game plays like garbage because they designed it to run on a decade old ps3.
>>
>>385610483
>There's a reason the combat is as slow
Play games from other genres instead, don't ruin mmo
>Do you even remember the countless threads making fun of the game for it's long global cooldowns?
I remember threads praising mmos with action combat and know where this mmos now

I raid both in wow mythic at start of each expack before droppin and in the arr savage
I never considered xiv combat slow
>>385610704
It's second most popular mmo on the market, so many people disagree with you
Good thing developers are smart enough to know about not listening retards who don't even like genre or pay for the games
>>
>>385605124
What it really needs is a hard reset. New characters, new classes, new factions and a new engine. Stop reviving dead characters and start making a new cast. What I would do is introduce one more gigantic threat, have Azeroth win and then have a long period of peace. Enough time for characters to retire, loyalties to change and for new threats to start festering beneath the peaceful facade.

Time travel or alternate universe bullshit has already been used and it would just be a cheap cop out, leading to no satisfying conclusion of the first game.
>>
WoW 2 needs to take place after the Void Lords win. Azeroth is no more, this takes place on an entirely new planet, make new stories.
>>
File: 1468199705164.jpg (8KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
1468199705164.jpg
8KB, 243x207px
>start wow in wotlk
>played as horde cause a friend
i fucked up since the beginning
>>
Nobody wants WoW2

Warcraft 4 on the other hand would be cool, provided they retconned absolutely all of WoW and went from WC3

Then again I can imagine how nu Blizzard would still find a way to ruin it, probably something dumb like giving Sylvanas feminist overtones when she's trying to free herself from an oppressive 'man' (Arthas) or making the Scarlet Crusade an ebil Christian terror group
>>
>>385607567
This shit always bothered me about Warcraft.
The fuckers were demon possessed murderhobos who travelled from a different world because they ran out of victims, but somehow the Alliance are bad guys because they didn't mass-murder the fuck out of the guys with the glowing murdereyes like they should have and instead put the defeated ones into camps, what absolute monsters.
And as soon as they could they banded together, killed all their captors and founded a faction that has made nothing but war for the Alliance since.
>>
>>385614310
>No one wants WoW 2
It would sell like hotcakes anon, don't fool yourself.
>>
I think the best way to go about WoW2 is to just fast forward.

Push the timeline up, go for that dieselpunk aesthetic, and make up an instance of laws stating that time magic was outlawed in whatthefuckever.
>>
>>385605124
Final expansion the Void enters & consumes the universe over its course. Give the players some macguffin to chase down & reset the timeline. Set it just after TFT, make it more slow paced & sandboxy, less constant end of the world threats looming.
Alternatively, make Warcraft IV.
>>
>>385614824
>make it more slow paced & sandboxy, less constant end of the world threats looming.
Blizzard is incapable of doing this
>>
>>385605124
the only acceptable solution would be to get the old team back, which would be extremely difficult since most have moved. they would also need to fire the majority of this current team.

they had a dream team working out the vision of WoW in the beginning. they have to get that exact team back to get those kind of results back.

as for the storyline, any story can be salvageable but they have a lot of work to do. my own opinion would be to tie up most of the loose ends happening right now and have a so-called 'end' to World of Warcraft with this current plot line. it needs a fresh start, with new characters, new politics, new relationships between races.
>>
>>385614925
I know. I'm not holding out hope, maybe once they outsource the creative department to India, we might get something different.
Not good, necessarily; but maybe different.
>>
File: 1382202318735.png (43KB, 290x229px) Image search: [Google]
1382202318735.png
43KB, 290x229px
>>385605124
The setting is dying, can't be salvaged at this point, the jugulars have been severed, an alternative universe isn't even enough because they've fucked with everything at this point.
They made an enormous mistake when they started resolving the Titan and Legion plots. That's the sort of shit that creates the backbone you create the actual stories on. But the writers don't understand epic storytelling. They don't understand that you can't kill all the heroes and villains because one day you will run out. That you can't remove every source of conflict and still have a story to tell the next day. They fucked themselves.
>>
>>385615342
honestly only thing I can think is that Metzen got so cocky from his product/world that he just kept cruising downhill thinking everything he touched/thought was Gold, kind of like george lucas.

they rode the gravy train home and for what? yeah they get to live nice and fat the rest of their lives, but they created in the end a mediocre product and will go down as a greedy company instead of something to be remembered.
>>
>>385615342
when they start trying to solve mysteries is when they fuck up, everything lose the fantasy
>>
so uh can somebody give a tl;dr on what happened since WC3?
>>
>>385614472
If that were true it would already exist, blizzard know better than you.
>>
>>385615496
Metzen has nothing to do with killing legion leaders and Illidan circlejerk
Under him they couldn't die and always escaped in the neither
>>
>>385615818
>Kael'thas became lolrupted by the Legion and got killed by random adventurers
>Lady Vashj got killed by random adventurers
>Kil'jaeden tried to enter our world but got his shit pushed in by random adventurers
>Arthas got killed by random adventurers
>Deathwing came back and got killed by random adventurers
>Story fucked around in some panda place for a while
>Alternate timeline where orcs never drank felblood happened, all major figures got killed by random adventurers and the expansion was over after one patch
>Illidan got killed by random adventurers, but his death was retconned and now he's the champion of the light or some shit
>Something about void lords, things supposedly worse than old gods, coming to Azeroth
>>
>>385616159
best expac
>>
File: 1488591468735.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1488591468735.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>385615553
it's not just that it's about weaving tension. if you solve a mystery, it should lead to another mystery and then another, or create more conflicting relationships that as the complications grow, the characters/cultures of races become more fleshed out and ebb and flow with the changing times.

they should have hired a professional writer to help them with it, and I mean high-end professional. they needed a serious long term game plan and we already know from interviews they kind of just did each expansion on a whim and then would brain storm for the next one, thinking first about the game then story later.

normally I would say gameplay is more important than story, but with MMO's it is different. the gameplay is set and fixed, it's the world creation/story that keeps people enticed besides the relationships you create.

anyway done ranting, I just hate what WoW turned into because Vanilla was the most fun times I ever had in gaming ever, even to this day I will randomly have dreams about it.
>>
>>385605124
World of starcraft when
>>
>>385615818
Vanilla: Alright lets get this MMO thing started.
BC: Wait we left a lot of characters in Draenor. Metzen also wrote a lot of background for orcs.
WotlK: Oh right, The Lich King, forgot about him.
Cataclysm: We need a cool world threatening villain and Metzen wrote all this background on the dragon aspects.
MoP: But how can we get the Asian market?
WoD: Nostalgia sells right? Why make new content when we have all this old lore just lying around.
Legion: Sales are still down, bring Illidan back and let everyone play as Illidan. And the Legion has totally invaded so they have something to do.
>>
>>385616231
>tfw legitimately enjoyed everything up until cata and even the new lore they added in MoP was a shitload of fun to roleplay
>then WoD hits and it kills everything because of time travel BS, horrible looking main cities, and nobody being around because sitting in your garrison was too ideal
>Legion is a clusterfuck from a lore perspective with so much unfinished shit, let alone the scale being ramped up to 11.

I just want more laid back low key plots, I don't want to save the world again
>>
>>385615831
The've been working on WoW 2 for three years already

Stfu if you don't know shit
>>
warcraft 4 when
>>
>warcraft 3 is the story with legendary heroes and warriors battling each other and causing complications in the world
>in wow they get beaten by literally whos
>>
Lets be completely and utterly serious here. Blizzard were never good at stories, it has always been a Metzen circle jerk. Blizzard do mechanics well and make polished products. Anyone who think the stories in D2, WC3 and SC were good are just blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>385619335
WC3 was at least remotely decent and entertaining though, at the very worst.
>>
>>385619515
I guess it was fun in a B grade fantasy kinda way, even then though the characters didn't have much depth.
>>
>>385619265
>warcraft 3 is the story with legendary heroes and warriors battling each other and causing complications in the world
Who?
WC3 has literally shitheads like arthas who didn't even knew how to fight ruining entire kingdoms
There was nothing lgendary about them
>>385619515
Only if you was born 1991+
>>
>>385619648
That's fine for a video game. As long as the fights are good.
We're somewhere below fanfiction-tier now.
>>
>>385619648
The characters had as much depth as most of the characters in the original Star Wars, and that's pretty much good enough.
>>
>twn shoot your essence into her dank necropussy

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY YWHYHWH
>>
>>385605124
Timeskip or another planet maybe?

We've already seen most of Azeroth...
>>
I've only played Warcraft 3, but what's with the meme surrounding Thrall being "orc-jesus"?
>>
>>385612401

Basically this. Show how the world looks 150 years on. Have technology improve, move into a semi-industrial age -- show how that differs from our own ala Legend of Korra and Fable 2/3 when surrounded by magic and mythical beings.

Do something different but familiar. Introduce new calamities. Change the world a bit.
>>
>>385620303
People got sick of Thrall. Illidan is literal Space Jesus now.
>>
Just make a starcraft mmo
>>
>>385616701
>started playing in cata and the game seemed cool
>deathwing fight was gimmicky garbage
>quit and completely ignored MoP
>played WoD for a few months. Sat around in my garrison waiting for queue, no interest in lvl'ing any other characters.
WoD was so shit it actually made me quit MMOs all together.
>>
>>385620303
I wouldn't call him Orc-jesus, but he's more like orc-moses and Chris Metzen's self-insert character.
>>
>>385605124
They don't need to. Between vanilla to this expansion, the lore is so fucked up you could just jam anything into it and it'll make sense. Even the Starcraft-verse, for example.
>>
>>385620332
>Do something different but familiar. Introduce new calamities. Change the world a bit.
What would they introduce. There's no space left for a big bad of any kind, not just on Azeroth, the entire universe.
>>
>>385620332
>Have technology improve, move into a semi-industrial age
We're at spaceships.
>>
>>385620303
People who never did BT and ICC were allowed into cata heroics and last raid and saw how he runs around with you
>>
>>385621456
You have hordes of homeless sociopaths who have raped, killed, looted and pillaged a variety of gods, dragons, elementals, cthulhu monsters and titans without even giving it a second thought. If a new threat is going to emerge from anywhere, it's them.
>>
File: 6bkHh.gif (474KB, 127x139px) Image search: [Google]
6bkHh.gif
474KB, 127x139px
>>385621829
>all the class leaders will be the corrupted villains of WoW2
Please no.
>>
>>385622009
It doesn't necessarily have to be corruption. That's just Metzen's fetish and his go-to way to create conflict with established characters. You could present it in a far more pragmatic way. Presuming that the Void Lords are killed and raped too, that's not going to leave a lot of big threats left for Azeroth. A lasting period of peace with all of these former mercenaries sitting around would create a lot of tension.
>>
I just want a dragon aspect class and a shaman tank.
>>
>>385614353
Because Metzen is a hack.

Of course the humans in 3 were "racist". They've known nothing but violent orcs that slaughtered and raped their people while elves sat on their hands and begged for help once the undead were an issue.
>>
>>385615831
>Release WoW2 while WoW still is making millions
>Fracture the playerbase and fuck up big time
OR
>Wait till WoW is at it's dying breathe
>WoW 2
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.