[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What single player RPG has the most content ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 18

What single player RPG has the most content ever?
>>
File: received_10207497345711649.jpg (52KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_10207497345711649.jpg
52KB, 1152x2048px
The one you posted is a good one

Currently 65 hours into Zodiac age, in only at balfonheim
>>
tactics ogre: let us cling together. i never managed to experience every route(or recruit every unique unit) since autism overtook me in palace of the dead.
>>
>>385599172
NWN1 and NWN2 are both way up there if played solo, even if you factor out the insane amount of player made content and multiplayer only modules.
>>
>>385599517

But are you THE BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA
>>
File: 1405302434732.jpg (39KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1405302434732.jpg
39KB, 500x283px
>>385599517

>mfw just finished RNG grinding for items on cerobi steppe

I'm glad it's over
>>
Steambot Chronicles
>>
>>385599172
Depends on how strict your definition of single player is. FF11 is single player these days and has a ridiculous amount of hours required to even get through all the main stories (I sick of it it after 2 and a half months and I'd only just started the latest expansion). You'll see other players but there is no benefit to playing with them, unfortunately, so it's single player in a sense.
>>
File: mithrakote.jpg (216KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
mithrakote.jpg
216KB, 800x800px
>>385600318
>He doesn't grind job mastery
>He doesn't do any Audolin endgame content.

I suspect you may not even be currently subscribed to the game
>>
>>385599870
Im Captain Basch!
>>
Any of the Disgaea games. They have theoretically infinite content and it's up to you to decide when you've done 'everything' - is it when you've beaten the story, beaten the post-game stuff, gotten every, item, unlocked every class, gotten every class to 9999 at least once... the only limit is how intense your autism is.
>>
>>385600535
That is correct, I cancelled my sub this week. Endgame is not my thing, I got sick of playing once I realise that all but one of the Audolin dungeons were boring mushroom caves. I've satisfied that I have seen everything the game has to offer at this point, and it was quite an enjoyable adventure overall but it's time for me to move on.
>>
>>385599172
Star Ocean: Til the end of Time.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2
>>
Really depends how you define "content." If you consider optimizing and gradually increasing your stats and equipment as content, then yeah Disgaea would be the top. But there are some players who would consider that filler.
>>
>>385599172
Dorf.
>>
>>385600975
I love Phantasy Star Online, but I would never say it has a ton of content. If anything, it's brilliance lies in how it gets so much mileage out of so little content.
>>
>>385600050
>0.005% chance of getting a 2nd circlet/lordly robes

I fucking hate this game
>>
>>385599719

This. I'm playing NWN1 and I have been playing NWN1 since it's release and there's still modules I haven't played. A lot of modules are better than fully fledged games.
>>
>>385599172
Just had 120 hours in Xenoblade, but I don't know if you can call 400 solo MMO fetch quests "content"
>>
File: worry face.jpg (21KB, 389x440px) Image search: [Google]
worry face.jpg
21KB, 389x440px
>>385600975
>Star Ocean: Til the end of Time
>Star Ocean: The Last Hope

I wish I could get back the hour I spent on these two games. Star Ocean is the kind of series that has ONE good game, that being Star Ocean 2, and is otherwise an utterly mediocre franchise.
>>
>>385601116
make a trainer to boost drop rates.
>>
>>385599172
For longest story campaign that's without a doubt Dragon Quest 7
If you include optional stuff then there's suddenly a bunch of contenders mattering on what exactly you think constitutes content.
>>
>>385601264
Man, SO2 wasn't even that great. The battle system was atrocious and fuck any game that does that whole 'do this thing in the first three hours or say goodbye to this other cool thing'.
>>
File: disc2.jpg (68KB, 355x528px) Image search: [Google]
disc2.jpg
68KB, 355x528px
>>385601350
DQ7 was way too long for its own good because said length was achieved through incessant backtracking. 3DS version is better in a sense it cut all that out.
>>
>>385601408
>fuck any game that does that whole 'do this thing in the first three hours or say goodbye to this other cool thing'.

PS1's JRPG were sadly hit hard by desire to sell strategy guides to customers. Too many of them pulled that shit off.
>>
>>385601409
Haven't played the 3DS version, but fuck the PS1 version. I gave up on it about 65 hours in when the game gave me zero objectives and basically said 'hey, we're not telling you what to do, figure it out for yourself'
>>
>Vaan
Bushi/Knight
>Balther
Shikari/Breaker
>Basch
Uhlan/Time Mage
>Ashe
Black Mage/Monk
>Penelo
White Mage/Machinist
>Fran
Archer/Red Mage

Refute this. Note that all jobs must be used.
>>
>>385601578
wait, you can dual class now?
>>
>>385601660
Yes.
>>
>>385601510
I'm still paranoid every time I start a new RPG that if I don't keep all my equipment from start to end, or don't talk to someone's grandma right at the beginning, I'm gonna miss out on a chunk of the game or a good weapon. The Tales series is probably the only series that still does shit like this, where if you don't backtrack at specific intervals, you miss out on shit, but that mostly tends to be titles and skits, and at least they're mostly decorative.
>>
Content in my mind is gameplay where you're engaged in a quest that will lead to a new map, enemy, boss, NPC, item, or story scene. Grinding out stats is not content, but grinding rare drops can be. Collecting bear asses is the lowest form of content, but it still sort of counts.
What RPG has the most bosses/enemies/handmade maps/story/NPC dialogue/items/non-repeating quests ever?
>>
>>385601660
Biggest part of the IZJB version. Second biggest part is keeping an optional demon wall with zero reward except a mote.
>>
Depends on what you consider content

If you count randomized shit then skyrim and xenoblade X are infinite hours. If you count meaningful content that's a lot harder to answer because "meaningful" can be interpreted in different ways
>>
>>385601825
The Tales games are meant to be played through more than once so it's fine. Hell to get all of Symphonia's titles it's a mandatory 4 playthroughs.
>>
>>385601578
Fran's attack animations with bows are slightly longer than other characters', meaning she's actually a little less efficient at archery than everyone else (ironic, I know)
So your archer should be Penelo because of her naturally high Agi stat and how it factors into the bow damage equation.
>>
File: 1262559036983.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1262559036983.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
Just about done with material farming for Tournesol.

>mfw hell gate flames

It didn't take as long as it COULD have, but fucking hell.
>>
>>385601829
Xenoblade X

maybe
>>
Going by those rules, something like Alpha Protocol would be in the running - the areas you visit will be the same, but the story, events, dialogue and all that can change wildly. It's entirely possible to play through the game repeatedly and still not see everything.
>>
>>385602009
>>385601578
I really want to play this game but the whole "choose classes at the very beginning, if you don't like them you have to do start the whole game over to re-optimize" is really scaring me off. I mean even FFV let you change jobs
>>
>>385600318
>>385600535
Is FFXI worth getting into? I've never played it before, but I have beaten every other FF mainline game, and I'm looking for something new.
Can all the story be solo'd? If so, is it boring to solo?
>>
>>385601871
Also 2x/4x speed up. Playing at normal speed is just unbearable now, can't believe i did everything including Yiazmat at normal speed when it first came out.
>>
>>385602117
Job composition really doesn't matter as much as you think except for some end game Hunts.
>>
>>385602117
There are people who planned their team for 2 weeks before starting the game. Lots of people also don't choose a class until you kill the first esper which unlocks 2nd jobs. It's somewhat of a challenge though.
>>
>>385602117
Honestly, there's no 'wrong' way to pick classes. Yeah, there's optimal/sub-optimal picks, but not enough to ruin your enjoyment of the game. If you're planning on going through the Trials, then yeah, you want a select team as minmaxed as possible, but you really can't fuck yourself in the longrun.
>>
>>385602117

It's really not that relevant since a good half of the jobs can get high-tier healing spells and you'll be steamrolling through most of the game.
>>
>>385602176
Yes, that too. I would actually like to see speed ups like that in more remakes/turn based RPGs. While I don't use it for bosses/hunts, it makes the grind much more enjoyable.
>>
>>385601510
>replay SO2
>make it to the cave of trials in 40 hours
Man. I don't know how I managed to stretch all that out for 100 hours.
>>
>>385602009

>Bow attack animations
An Archer/Redmage will spend almost all their time playing support and nuking with burning bow + firaga/ardor anyway. You DID give them Cuchulain, right?
>>
>>385601829
hmm Xenoblade X comes to mind but I'm sure there's others with more stuff
>>
>>385601879
>randomized shit
>Xenoblade X

What?
Do you mean random traits on drops or something?
The Basic Quests aren't generate.
>>
>>385602375
I only played the original, so attack magic was worthless.
>>
>>385602403
>The Basic Quests aren't generate.

Really? The way they rotated made me think otherwise
>>
>>385602009
That's true but not really relevant as Red Mage won't be attacking that often. The white mage should ideally be paired with a Machinist or Time Mage and i didn't want Fran as my White Mage.
>>
>>385602375
People use Espers?
>>
>>385599172

In a couple days we will be able to play it.
>>
File: mithtaru.jpg (58KB, 660x760px) Image search: [Google]
mithtaru.jpg
58KB, 660x760px
>>385602145
The story stuff used to require a lot of time investment but now you can use NPC partners to solo it all. A lot of the level caps were taken off too making some fights absurdly easy. Though it does make the content feel more meaningless when you're not coordinating real people to complete it.

It might be worth a look to see the story, and I think it's still a decent MMO at the end game level if you are really into optimization, as you can get deep into building different gear loadouts for every individual move your job can use.
>>
>>385599172
Probably White Knight Chronicles. Those games were absurdly long.
>>
>>385602458

The removal of the damage cap really helps black magic's effectiveness a lot. I did the Fafnir hunt earlier today and my black mage was popping 16k thundagas. Firaga/Ardor can pull some insane number if the target can be oiled.
>>
>>385602576

No, but red mage needs Cuchulain to get access to Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga/Sleepga.
>>
>>385602740
What's end game like in XI? Is it like XIV by any chance?
>>
>>385602760
Who was the dumbfuck who capped damage to 9999 in the US version?
>>
>>385602721
oh yes.. most certainly
>>
File: 1467418859995.jpg (36KB, 482x436px) Image search: [Google]
1467418859995.jpg
36KB, 482x436px
>>385601116

I used the rng helper thing

still took forever though.
>>
>>385602760
>get holy and white robes
>black mage starts doing 40k damage
Huh.
>>
>>385602740
>The story stuff used to require a lot of time investment but now you can use NPC partners to solo it all.
It's true that you no longer have to spend time waiting for others to get ready or even worry about your own level (seriously, never go out of your way to level, it'll just happen while you do other stuff)), but it's still a very slow burn through all though missions. It'll take months unless you're a full on neet who plays all day every day.
>>
The only content FF12 has is its Monster Hunter ripoff content.
>>
>>385603046
Is XI worth playing if I'm a college student and am currently playing XIV? Is playing two MMOs concurrently a bad idea?
>>
>>385602145
>is it boring to solo?
The later expansions might get a bit much with their lack of new interesting dungeons and babysitting battlefields where an outside the part NPC death means a loss, but the first two expansions are quite the adventure, and absolutley worth of the Final Fantasy name. I recommend levelling another job or subjob while doing Chains of Promathia, since you can comfortably start its content at level 20. Doing it all on the 75+ job you finished Zilart on would be boring.
>>
>>385603142
If you're just in it for the story not really. There's a lot of it in FF11, but fact you can solo it now is a massive boon.
>>
>>385603142
Well, you're not going to be able to make a whole lot of progress without giving it a good amount of time. I can't really imagine it working, but some people manage to fit a lot more into their schedules than I can understand, so I dunno.

Definately, without fail, play the free trial to level 50 before committing.
>>
>>385602964
fuck off bob
>>
>>385603318
I always found it sad how so many people dismissed FFXI back in the day simply because it was an MMORPG when it, in fact, was really worthy of the name AND tackled story properly among the first in the genre. It took a long time for other MMORPGs to really do the whole "direct storytelling" approach.
>>
>>385603456
Yes, I only play the FF games for the story, including XIV (which, admittedly, is pretty garbage and nothing special.)
>but fact you can solo it now is a massive boon
Why is that a bad thing? Just curious.
>>385603473
How many hours a day should I dedicate to a game like FFXI?
>>385603318
Do the expansions explain who Zilart and Promathia are?
>>
>>385603567
Yeah, that's the whole reason they even named it FFXI instead of a spinoff, they were trying to imply it has a story worthy of the main games. Ironically enough their choice of name just ended up pissing off the people they were trying to entice. We all knew that one douchebag who hated having to cooperate with other players but "it's a numbered Final Fantasy so I HAVE to play it!"
>>
>>385603712
>Why is that a bad thing? Just curious.
What?

>boon
>a thing that is helpful or beneficial.
>>
>>385603318
I completely disagree as someone who started playing this year and is wrapping up Adoulin this week.

Zilart is the fucking worst part of this game and is just a nightmare of fetch quests and trekking through awful areas like Quicksand Caves.
>>
>>385603817
I'm an idiot, my bad.
>>
>>385603942
What other FF games have you played/beaten?
>>
>>385603712
>Do the expansions explain who Zilart and Promathia are?
When someone uses those words they're usually referring to the titles of the first two expansions, Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia. But if you knew that and are still asking, then yes doing the story will certainly clue you into the identities of both the Zilart and Promathia.

>How many hours a day should I dedicate to a game like FFXI?
I'm afraid I can't really answer this well. I'm the guy who earlier said it took me 2 and a half months to get to the start of the final expansion then stopped. I played for most days during that period except for two days a week due to work and maybe a weeks worth of just wanting to do other things. On those days I played about 6 hours on average maybe? But I am a slow gamer, I like to explore a lot and do optional stuff. Maybe this data can help you somehow?
>>
File: 1405059657308.png (837KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1405059657308.png
837KB, 1920x1080px
>>385604019
I've tried every one of them but the ones I've actually finished are 1, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, and 14 if that counts
>>
>>385603713
FFXI also generally gets shafted because even though it has some of the best music in the franchise all they ever play at concerts are Ronfanure and Distant Worlds because they're the only notable Uematsu tracks.

Yet it's still the game that has shit like Ragnarok and Cosmic Wheel.

Honestly speaking Square should just remake FFXI as a single player game for the next main entry or something. They can do vanilla up to the tale of three cities, and zilart content all as the main package then season pass Chains, TOAU, and Wings of the Goddess. You really can't sell Zilart by itself because then it'd feel like you're selling the ending of the Shadowlord story due to that last cutscene.

They've got all the Notorious Monsters and HNMs they can turn into hunts as well.
>>
>>385603942
>Zilart is the fucking worst part of this game and is just a nightmare of fetch quests and trekking through awful areas like Quicksand Caves.
I didn't mind that stuff at all. Muh adventure and all that. I found the gimmicky instanced battlefields in Wings of the Goddess to be the most annoying shit. If you fail them because the dumb NPC got themselves killed then enjoy the wait because you can't try again until the next game day and by the way it's 1AM. At these times you yearn for a fetch quest.
>>
>>385604146
Thank you.
>>385604184
How does XI compare to XIV? Which one is [better?/spoiler]
I've only beaten I-VIII, X, XII, XIII, XIII-2, LR: XIII, and XV. Currently playing XI (nearly done with ARR content).
>>
>>385599172
Monster Hunter

It isn't totally "single player" but it is very much possible to solo all of the content in every game. And there's a massive fuckload of content in any of the G-Rank games (FU, 3U, 4U, XX)
>>
>>385599172

Hard to say, I mean how do you even quantify content? Hours spent, number of activities etc?

If we're talking time: Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Number of activities: Persona 5.
>>
>>385602145
Most of the story in vanilla is some very old school FF shit, I found it dry but if that's your thing it's interesting. It picks up in the expansions though.

The big turnoff for me is that even if it's a wowclone with some interesting differences, besides the crafting, you're still doing the same shit you do in wow. You log in, you do your dailies, weeklies and get your pointcaps, press the dungeon finder if you have to, you raid and log off.
>>
File: 1485077860674.jpg (581KB, 700x989px) Image search: [Google]
1485077860674.jpg
581KB, 700x989px
>>385604292
Waiting an in game day is usually just when I shut it off. Adoulin was full is flags like that.
>>
>>385604292
Zilart had some of the best pure exploration imo but it felt more genuine back when you pretty much needed parties for everything. That march through Zi'tah to Ro'maeve to the hall of gods to sky was such a fucking high.

>>385604387
XI is better if you like original content. From the lore, to the characters and the world, FFXI is a complete package that doesn't rely on previous FFs for content the way FFXIV post ARR does. It keeps the stalwart themes of the crystals and such but generally does its own thing.

XIV never got to shine really because it failed and then YoshiP turned it into nostaliga the game.
>>
>>385604387
Story wise its subjective but I will say FFXI has monumentally less filler than XIV

Gameplay wise it's not even a contest, XI is better in almost every aspect other than superficial imo
>>
I would say Pic Related, and Persona 5. Great games. There is just so much to do
>>
>>385604478
>>385604512
>>385604538
Honestly, the only reason why I still play XIV is because I have a friend IRL who also plays, and he paid $18 for a server transfer just to play with me. I'd feel bad if I stopped playing. But that said, the story isn't even interesting, and I dislike all the useless, filler fetch quests. Dungeons are pretty fun, though.

How does the combat work in XI? I'm looking at gameplay videos, and there seems to be a lot of menu options, but I don't mind that. Just more confused than anything else.
>>
>>385604538
Did FF11 gameplay get better as it went along? I bought it when it released in the west and the gameplay was basically just auto attack for 2 minutes then use your weapon skill then go back to auto attacking. Farming parties were fun but the gameplay wasn't exactly riveting.
>>
>>385604767
FFXI suffers from the same thing all MMOs do. Its mechanics didn't shine until you were in some of the more intense boss battles or end game scenarios.

Most of the time it was just positional play and timing depending on party comp.
>>
>>385604907
I didn't hit level cap, but my experience as warrior was just taunt off cooldown and use my ws once in a while. I spent more effort chatting than playing the game.
>>
File: 1440778052157.jpg (381KB, 700x681px) Image search: [Google]
1440778052157.jpg
381KB, 700x681px
>>385604387
I'm going to make this my last post about the MMOs because this is kinda off topic from OP

its very difficult to compare 11 and 14 because they are really very different games

FFXI was very abrasive to play fresh because the world is probably the biggest world I've ever played in any game and you have no clue what you're doing. Progressing through 11 all relies on how much you want to dig through the 2 main wikipedias its 15 years of content and learning all the ways to efficiently play a PS2 game.

14 however is really simple if you just want the story. I'd definitely say that 14's story is way weaker outside of some key side stories like Dark Knight's.

Overall for story and battle system complexity 11 is better. It is not uncommon that I use over 30+ different spells in a boss encounter on red mage all with different purposes and uses

But for overall polish 14 just plays better. It really shows that 11 was a ps2 game still because even on a decent PC there's a ton loading issues like characters flashing in and out during equipment changes that can't be fixed without 3rd party programs.
>>
File: mithbed.jpg (157KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mithbed.jpg
157KB, 714x1000px
>>385604682
>>385604767
>>385604907
>>385604973

It's a more menu based game. I would I even go so far as to say it's essentually turn based with attack delays and ability cooldowns similar to the ATB bar of FF4-9. The best fights don't really come across well in videos because it's generally based more on perpetration. What gear you brought, what items you brought, how you buffed, what macros you made. I haven't watched videos in a while but I recall most videos about FFXI fights showed the player buffing and managing equipment before the battle, because that was important.

As someone who likes more tactical RPGs I enjoy the feeling of outcomes relying on how I built my character and my macros, and then having things some ultimately come down to executing those macros and items at the exact right moments to see my strategy come together. And yes this did give you a lot of downtime to type and get to know the other members of your party. But that's not everyone's style. Sometimes you would have to think quick on your feet and adapt but that was usually because some element of your plan went off the rails in the first place.
>>
>>385604973
It sounds like you really didn't make it that far into the game since if you were WAR past level 50 chances are you were subbing /nin as off-tank or in a TP burn party which were the "why is everything dying so fast holy fuck" parties.
>>
>>385604682
The interface works more like a classic FF game, and a little like 12, you've played that, yeah? You auto-attack to build Tacticool points then expend them on Weapon Skills, kind of like FF7 limit break bars but you fill them by hitting, not getting hit. You can also macro stuff so you don't have to go through menus. Macros are accessible from a gamepad as well as keyboard, and the game plays really well on gamepad as you might expect seeing as it's a PS2 game first and foremost.
>>
File: 1416214560646.jpg (95KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
1416214560646.jpg
95KB, 640x852px
>>385605034
Just to elaborate one last time, I can't stress enough that the world is enormous. The way the game is paced can make that really frustrating because you will spend a ton of time just traveling on the back of a mount or just walking through monsters in stealth or realizing that your in game map doesn't show all the locked doors you're going to run into without wiki open. Being that you might need to flag cutscenes to progress or do an awful fucking fetch quest like Headstone Pilgrimage it can really really get old.
>>
>>385605064
>>385605219
>neither one mentioning that most of your experience will be scripting macros for buffs/debuffs on food/items/skills and using weapon skills and magic

Menu play really only works now thanks to everything being soloable, but mid to high end content is still going to be pressing alt or ctrl + num in macro loops. So really it's not that different from global cooldown MMOs just that you're going to write your commands yourself.
>>
>>385605443
>>neither one mentioning that most of your experience will be scripting macros for buffs/debuffs on food/items/skills and using weapon skills and magic

But that was pretty much the meat of my post. Yes the game is about macros but that's what I like in an RPG. FF12 is essentially about macros too
>>
>>385601578

>refute this

Yeah nobody gives a shit what job combos you chose dude. Mine were totally different to yours and I had a blast.
>>
>>385602176

The speed up is a fucking godsend. I finished the story in 35 hours whilst still exploring every map (except the Necrohol) and levelling the whole team to level 55.
>>
>>385603064

>any game that involves hunting monsters is a rip off of monster hunter

Were you born a moron or did it happen slowly over time?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.