[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firewatch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1479643745787.png (689KB, 2812x1410px) Image search: [Google]
1479643745787.png
689KB, 2812x1410px
So I just beat this and I must admit, even for a walking simulator, it wasn't terribly... good.

Good:
>neat visuals, comfy forests and hiking
>the music and the lack thereof created a very relaxing sense of exploration
>voice acting was good, and keeping Delilah updated on whatever I found was a novel way to get exposition across

Bad:
>the mystery wasn't very good, what could have turned into something interesting failed to do so
>the sense of solitude and being truly by yourself was somewhat lost on the plot
>the plot tried to be deep when you realized Delilah was lying to you and working with Ned to throw you off their trail, but it was such a boring twist it barely had any impact

It was a comfy game that got the atmosphere right, but the story was most of the time downright boring, and the dementia-wife just felt tacked on.

What did /v/ think?
>>
>>385592994
>Delilah was lying to you and working with Ned to throw you off their trail, but it was such a boring twist it barely had any impact
That isn't what happened at all, you idiot.
>>
>>385593113

It totally totally was though. Delilah did a bunch of stupid shit, sending you to the other end of the map while Ned got all sorts of convenient shit set up.

It was goofy as fuck, and once I heard of Ned I essentially called that he and/or his kid were still out here and that Delilah knew.

If the game had JUST been about chatting with your walkie-friend as someone was very casually stalking/fucking with you, it would have been a lot more fun than muh ded kid xD.
>>
No more takers? Are there any legitimately good walking simulators or is it all mediocrity?
>>
>>385593720
Honestly no not really. Walking sims haven't really made anything worth recommending yet.

And that's from someone who sees the walking sim as a natural evolution of the visual novel.
>>
edith finch is decent. best bit's taken from a short story, but it's still fun.
>>
>>385594259
>walking sim as a natural evolution of the visual novel

This is an interesting opinion, but I kinda' see what you mean. The reason walking simulators get a lot of flack is because they lack gameplay, but VNs are somehow forgiven that sin because they've been around for a lot longer (and because they have more nudity).

But the reality of the situation is that it's almost unfair to say that VNs are video games but walking simulator's aren't.

That being said I kinda' enjoyed Beginner's Guide if you're willing to stomach some truly obnoxious indieshit. The entire experience is very relaxing and listening to the narrator talk is very comfortable.
>>
>>385594429

I might check this out, thanks!
>>
>>385593279
Again, not what happened.
>>
>>385594259

Meh game.
>>
>>385595206

Alright smartass, what did happen?
>>
>>385596653
Delilah didn't know what was going down.
>>
>>385597530

So you're telling me that a woman with a clear overview of the "researchers compound" is suddenly mind-numbingly surprised to find that compund there at all?

She's been looking after this park for years, her only job being monitoring who comes and who goes, and you seriously believe she didn't catch a university-funded research team setting up a massive camp complete with fences and technology in literal viewing distance from her outpost?

For fucks sake you can SEE the windows in her outpost from the research site.
>>
>>385598308
I can see the moon from my house, does that mean you can see my house from the moon?
>>
>>385598385

That's not really the case here though. When your only job is to stare out windows all day, and you don't notice lab technicians setting up shop a few hundred meters away it's pretty obvious that you don't WANT to see.

So yeah, if you're on the Moon and your house on the Moon is facing my house and the moon is a few hundred meters away, then you should probably see it.
>>
>>385598884
you see a conspiracy theory where there is none

hope you ain't that paranoid irl, anonski
>>
>>385599393

I don't know. IMO the evidence that she was working with or at least assisting Ned was overwhelming.

Everything from asking you to go stupid distances out of your way to get the new walkie (giving her ample time to distract you), to the fact that there existing no explanation in the world for why she didn't know about the researchers base, to the strange conversation she has with her "superior" early in the game who she couldn't have talked to because the lines were already down.

It all points towards her being a liar, but if you interpret it differently I'm sure you have equally sound reasoning.
>>
>>385599686
I kind of feel like the explanation was poor planning and bad writing, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>385599906

It could very well be. The devs can hide behind the "open for le interpretation" all they want but I still felt that ending was rushed because they were out of good ideas.

When I played I always felt that the game's strongest suit was giving me a map and a compass and letting me investigate possible forest fires and cleaning up after drunk teenagers parties.

I almost felt as if their silly story attempt detracted more than it added, to the point where a comfy forest-watcher-job-simulator would have been more my style.

You might genuinely be right though and I might just be putting dots together that aren't there, but I found the evidence compelling enough.
>>
>>385600150
It sounds like you're more after a simulator style of game, over an actual walking simulator that tells a story. That being said I agree with you though, and I am sometimes disappointed that games that create genuinely comfy worlds are so afraid to revel in it.

After a while I barely needed the map anymore and just navigated by compass and landmarks in Firewatch, and I wish the game played to this strength instead of trying to focus on some poorly defined murder mystery. It was just silly, and interpret it how you like, didn't feel fleshed out. I still don't understand the point of Julie.
>>
It's shit and you should feel shit.
>>
>>385594259
Gone Home was untill they horribly ruin the game with shitty story at the end. it would be actually better if it was made like horror game and shit starts happening. desu honest i was terrified the whole time while playing it
>>
>>385592994

I just wish there was more to explore. More day-long treks across vast wilderness to uncover some item, or some piece of information or something.

I feel that a game like like this should attempt to be about traveling, and the traversing terrain with minimal tools.

Perhaps reaching that 100 feet drop waterfall and then figuring a path around it to get down, or risk one of your ropes. The entire game screamed of exploration where there was very little to be had.

Also, a compass and a map without any tracking at all would have been ideal, but I don't remember if that was actually an option or not.
>>
>>385592994
The game was trash. My opinions of it being trash were confirmed when you watch the credits and Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn are thanked.

Good thing i torrented it
>>
>>385602771
Only Anita is in the credits
>>
>>385594259
I kinda liked Edith Finch
>>
File: longdark.jpg (118KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
longdark.jpg
118KB, 1920x1080px
>>385592994
Thought it was pretty cool although the story suddenly went a bit weak, they really set it up as if there was some bigger conspiracy surrounding you and turns out kinda flat when its just some guy.

The long dark is similar except with a more survival aspect to it, the first part of the story mode comes out next week so I hope it turns out good.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.