[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do video games so often fail when adapted into movie/show form?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 1493358827700.jpg (151KB, 1065x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1493358827700.jpg
151KB, 1065x1041px
Why do video games so often fail when adapted into movie/show form?
>>
Because they are games
>>
>>385579802
Because 9/10 vidya stories are just wateted down ripoffs of popular books and movies, what made them hits werer the gameplay.
Take out the gameplay all you have left is silly cliches and tropes, a la Resident Evil.

Also filmmakers hate vidya and doesn't even acknowledge the source material most of the time.
>>
I love girl on girl submission moves. Especially the really erotic looking ones.
>>
File: 1484332435014.jpg (605KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484332435014.jpg
605KB, 1280x720px
Watch better movies
>>
>>385579802
Movies and television shows typically run and survive off plot. Technically, you could say work off the visual and sensory presentation to represent the plot. Video games typically survive off the interaction, and how enjoyable that is. As such, movies work just fine without any sort of interactive bits and games work just fine without any sort of plot bits, or at least can.

The problem you run into is that few people care about the plot of a game, and fewer still care about more than just the plot existing. The example you posted is a good example - sure, it has a plot, about an amnesiac and a war and collecting all your Pokechildren to eventually kill a dragon. However, a lot of that isn't going to work when presented as a movie, or at least not a traditional animated feature. The plot, which was find when driving gameplay, is terribly bare-bones and covers very little. The cast of characters, which are designed to make the gameplay varied and interesting, are instead a liability when trying to crunch the plot down to 2 hours, or even 6 hours. And, ultimately, a lot of plot points which we just accepted when playing the game will probably not hold up to scrutiny when that is the main focus of a movie.

Actually, Awakening worked for another reason: a lot of the stupid plot was acceptable because "you" were the protagonist and so it handed the decisions over to you. That doesn't quite work the same in a movie, because for all a movie might try to get you to emphasize with the protagonist, that protagonist still isn't "you" and so people will blame the protagonists for their own stupid decisions.
>>
File: 45362346.gif (2MB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
45362346.gif
2MB, 500x250px
bc everyone loves to headcannon little details differently in vidya.

its harder to do that when you're passively viewing a streamlined experience. so the unique and unspoken intricacies of everyones enjoyment for a game doesn't translate into a movie.

imo.
>>
>>385580957
>he thinks that people don't headcanon in movies and cartoons
Heh, cute.
>>
>>385581152
Fuck off fujocunt.
>>
>>385580839
I agree with most of that, but I've never considered the idea that 'everything rests on me/everyone looks up to me' as being instrumental to the allure of the game. I prefer the silent fight going on between the devs and the player, where it becomes obvious they played your assumptions personally, or made you aware of something about yourself without having to include dialogue like 'oh so you're THAT kind of person'. That's the sort of subtle thing games excel at that doesn't carry over into non-interactive media.
>>
File: 1473041495193.jpg (69KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1473041495193.jpg
69KB, 800x587px
>>385580216
bullshit, give some fucking examples of ripoffs. RE might be shallow, but i fail to see what it rips off storywise.
>>
>>385581152
no my point was that comparatively there is a lot more room to do so with vidya
>>
>>385579802
Film language doesn't capture video game stories well-- you can't just copy paste cut scenes, no matter how cinematic.

That being said, no one is around who cares enough to give a faithful adaptation to a game. I think the closest were the silent hill movies, which were still kind of enjoyable.
>>
>>385581152
you sound like a smug loser cunt
>>
TV and movies are incredibly boring to watch because you just sit on your ass doing nothing. Video games involve the audience, and the player becomes part of the story rather than passively watching.
>>
>>385581643
I was thinking particularly about the scene where Lucina threatens to kill you. Sure, the choice of what you say is ultimately irrelevant - it is interrupted immediately afterwards, and never mentioned again - but it just being your response to Lucina, perhaps even your daughter, makes it a bit more meaningful than just what the choices are.

But if that was in a movie, where the audience isn't making the choices but watching a character make them? Where the character makes this big choice, then immediately gets interrupted by an off-screen character and the whole scene is rendered irrelevant? That would not go over well with any audience.

Yes, it isn't quite the "everything rests on me" situation. Fates did that, and just look at how that story turned out. Rather, it is letting people make some choices at points where it would make sense for them to speak up, even if the choice is ultimately pointless. That, or little things like choosing to talk with the child units with Chrom or their mother, or checking both thanks to reloading.
>>
>>385579802
Not enough racial diversity
>>
>>385581947
>there is a lot more room to do so with vidya
Not really? Remember that harem anime were a large scale thing long before harem video games started showing up. I'm just not sure why you would think there are headcanon situations in video games than in other media.

About the only situation I could plausibly think of are games with multiple routes, since that is the one situation were you could have "headcanon" which is in line with the game, but conflicts with even the "main" story route. Movies, by their nature, don't handle even the possibility of multiple story routes in a single work.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>385582394
female robin isn't cannon
>>
File: PicsArt_07-29-10.50.18.jpg (62KB, 499x534px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_07-29-10.50.18.jpg
62KB, 499x534px
>>385579802
Dragon cock
>>
>>385579802
Is that the fukken Angelito?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.