/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

now that the dust has settled whats the /v/erdict?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: prey.jpg (30KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
prey.jpg
30KB, 460x215px
now that the dust has settled

whats the /v/erdict?
>>
Forgotten in a week
>>
>>385571674
The fact that I cant play this over 60 fps without everything hitching, frustrates me. The enemies and atmosphere of everything loses its charm quickly. I give it a 6-7/10, not a must play by any means but its better than nothing.
>>
>>385571674
Kind of boring. Bioshock Infinfte killed any enjoyment I could ever get out of these games.
>>
>>385571674
It was fun. Graphics were fine, it never bugged out or crashed in the 60 or so hours I gave it. Sure as shit not worth 60$, but easily worth 15-20.

The gunplay is fun and functional and you go from a piece of shit to goddamn Sanic with a one-hit-kill shotgun, so progression actually feels like progress. Pretty good level design, everything is connected and actually feels like a space station. Plenty of backtracking and optional areas like a good bio/system shock game should have.

Most entertaining part of it for me was doing the no-upgrades-allowed run blind, and replaying a few times to see even a few of the cute little variations you could get. Devs put a fuckton of effort into actually scripting out things for every possible scenario and action you could take, which is both something I wish you'd see more and something most people won't experience because it requires multiple replays and the game doesn't have the content to support more than 3-4.

On a whole though, solid 7/10 at least with a 5 being average if you can get it at a decent price.
>>
>>385571674
Well designed spiritual successor to System Shock, but lacked interesting/variety in enemies and weapons.
>>
>>385573613
>Guaranteed Replies.jpg
>>
>>385573945
I don't really agree with this argument whole-heartedly. Considering when you have games like Bioshock which are basically the same thing, reskins of enemies that operate slightly different and a few big minibosses, Prey has equal variation. The one thing I do agree with is enemies can be annoying as all fuck.

>Mimics
>Greater Mimics who operate exactly the same but more health/damage

>Phantoms who shoot exploding orbs and slap your shit if you get close
>Teleporting Phantoms who are the same as Phantoms but can also move at mach-8, create clones, and leave damaging puddles when they die
>Electric Phantoms who are the same as Phantoms but do damage if you get close and zap you for fuckoffhuge damage as well
>Burning Phantoms who are the same as Phantoms but can also create exploding fireballs at your feet whereever you go and don't need line of sight to do it

>Technopaths who float around permanently hacking drones and turrets, can disable some of your weapons and always carry turrets with them
>Weavers who spit out homing missiles, float around being cunts, and fly away at warp speed if you try to get close
>Telepaths who mind-control humans, turn them into bombs, and always ruin your chances to have a flawless pacifist run lol
>Mind-controlled humans who rush at you and explode
>Nightmare miniboss who chases you through an entire level, can fire homing missiles, lazers, an also stomp your shit cause he's 40 feet tall.
>Nests of homing missiles that create homing missiles when you shoot them and then fire said homing missiles at you.
>Invisible Aliens who are creepy and cause you to float, or float up objects and throw that shit at you

>Turrets who will shoot you
>Engy bots that will break your armor and light you on fire
>Medic bots that will stun you and hurt
>Science bots that will fuck up your weapons and hurt
>Spec-ops bots that endlessly spawn, shoot lazers and are cunts and fuck that entire last 20% of the game
>>
>>385574921
>he actually used Typhon abilities.

I enjoyed having turrets and bots as my friends for my whole playthrough
>>
>>385573945
The weapons were really disappointing, even though the ones they do give work satisfyingly. But you get a total of what, 4-5? Wrench, Pistol, Shotgun, StunGun and LazerBeam. They also give like 5 different kinds of grenades, but most are garbage since enemies are all floating or darting around like bugs and you usually just rely on shooting a bitch in the face. Not to mention the straight 'damage' grenade also fucking eats all their loot if you do manage to kill them and anything in the area as well, which can include corpses with actual audio logs on them and important shit like that.
>>
>>385573526

The game's performance on PC was one of the things that was almost universally praised.

What kind of toaster are you running on
>>
It's not the best game by a long shot, but I'm sure as fuck glad to pay for it and support a dev that actually designs a game with multiple different methods of play-through, decent amount of side content and and is comparatively challenging compared to most modern triple A games.
>>
>>385571674
It's good
>>
>>385574921
Bots are your friends regardless, only turrets lose their shit if you go alien. I did both alien/human playthroughs, a few times each, for all the achievements, but I wholeheartedly agree that pure Human is overpowered as all fuck.

That's another somewhat disappointing thing, given how fun plasmids and psy-abilities have been in the past.

Max-human has you able to hack everything, carry tons of gear, run around at sanic speeds, max-out the damage of your weapons, super strength, super jump, etc. Max-Alien just gives you some kind-of-cool activateable combat abilities, but with all the drawbacks of shitty inventory space, inability to hack anything in the game, basic run/jump/move speeds...oh and you also lose points if you're going for the 'good' ending because fuck you.

Related note, why the fuck would you make one of the only uses for 'transform' (besides turning into a cup and sneaking into areas) be to turn into a turret, then make all turrets hostile if you HAVE this ability? Am I going to carry around a useless, deactivated turret just so I can turn into it once in a blue moon?
>>
>>385571674
I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved the exploration aspect and the fact that you could climb fucking everywhere, that shit made me hard. I wish the space station had included slightly more varied areas and that the horror aspect had been ramped up a notch or two. More weapons and more interesting weapon customisation would've been nice.
>>
>>385575515
No-upgrades-allowed achievement on the hardest difficulty was genuine balls-to-the-walls difficulty if you went in with no information as your first playthrough.

Having to figure out all the enemies, the routes, the small puzzles, and then actually survive the bullshit enemies when even your shotgun takes 5-6 shots to take out a basic Phantom was goddamn infuriating. I got a downright mediocre ending, missed half the sidequests and content, but still genuinely felt proud at the end because everything flowed even through my quest screwups.
>>
>>385575656
>have enemies that can be anything, anywhere, at any time
>completely underutilize them, make them deal negligible damage, only show up occasionally and completely trivialize them once you get the 'able to fucking detect all mimics' upgrade less than 40% of the way through the game

Why tho
>>
>>385571674
It's alright. Doesn't quite holds up to the other blockbusters out this year but it's still a pretty good System Shock homage (better than any Bioshock, that's for sure).
>>
>>385575964
No accounting for taste, but I more or less agree with this anon. It's on-par with Bioshock 1-2 gameplay wise, maybe a little bit worse just due to its disappointing weapons and powers. Story is also inferior on a whole, but the interactions between the characters and the huge dedication to making every action be accounted for and having the script adapt to it was really great.
>>
>>385571674
>roll a male
>kill a named scientist
>"A shame. I get the feeling he respected you."

>roll a female
>kill the same named scientist
>"A shame. I get the feeling he resented you."

The mountain of little details in this game was staggering.
>>
>660 Ti
>Even on all minimum settings doing anything other than staring at the floor makes the frame rate so low it's barely playable
Poorly optimised.
>>
>>385576483
>>385573526

What the actual fuck are you people talking about, not even a 'It worked fine for me' scenario, the thing was optimized and packaged perfectly to the point that it was being praised out the ass for dedication to running quality on PC.
>>
>>385576483
>660 ti

Can you even run dota you Pleb?
>>
>>385575653
I was just about to start a pure alien run, is it really that bad? Pure human was pretty op wit the ability to create neruomods with ease.
>>
>>385576634
Clearly not optimised for older cards.

>>385576898
Prey is to date the first game I've had run poorly enough that I can't reasonably play it. Every other PC game from the last several years I've tried I've been able to get a fairly stable 60 by lowering some settings.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.