[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does no one put effort in to game covers any more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: a e s t h e t i c.jpg (323KB, 1426x1414px) Image search: [Google]
a e s t h e t i c.jpg
323KB, 1426x1414px
Why does no one put effort in to game covers any more?
>>
>>385559620
art and style overall in all forms has gone more minimalist recently. This isn't necessarily not putting effort in it's just putting effort into different things, though I do agree game covers have gone downhill a bit as a whole
>>
Batman
>>
File: SteelEmpire_MD_JP_Box.jpg (2MB, 3192x2012px) Image search: [Google]
SteelEmpire_MD_JP_Box.jpg
2MB, 3192x2012px
Author of this box art will never be known
>>
>>385560715
Look like studio Ghibli.
>>
Because marketing.
The cover is a part of marketing. This might disturb you, but some people just walk into Gamestop/random hypermarket and pick whatever catches their eye on the shelf, often having absolutely no preconception of the actual game. So you have to make your cover easily convey the basic gist of your game, or rather, what the marketing goons THINK a consumer will find irresistable.

I'm too jaded to get mad about this anymore, but I do appreciate it whenever a cover is even a little out there or artistically creative.
>>
>>385559620

Game covers are being created with a specific marketing purpose.

Ever noticed how most covers feature a character on the front? If I recall correctly, some focus group testing revealed consumers are more likely to pick a game with an identifiable character on the front.

Its likely why there is so marginal variety among game covers these days.
>>
File: DeusExInvisibleWarCover.png (603KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
DeusExInvisibleWarCover.png
603KB, 480x680px
I think this was one of the first truly horrible covers I saw.
>>
>>385563579
How many gamers identify with strong hypermasculine males? Or people with guns covered in flames? It's so boring.

>>385564236
This is pretty bad.
>>
File: G-Police.jpg (172KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
G-Police.jpg
172KB, 450x450px
>tfw no g-police reboot on PC / PS4
>>
>>385559620
I was impressed by this. But Amano's art is always good.
>>
what the fuck good is a cover on PSN?
>>
>>385565363
It's not that they identify with the characters, but that they identify the characters.
Even if you can't remember the name of the game you saw somewhere, you're more likely to identify the characters at some level, if you've seen them.
>>
>>385565363
>How many gamers identify with strong hypermasculine males? Or people with guns covered in flames? It's so boring.

Its most likely meant to appeal to the common consumers, and I agree with you Anon, but publishers see it differently. They're making sure that the product covers all bases to maximize profit potential.

They basically have a checklist that determines if a game's cover is suitable.

You should remember that its the MBA employees, marketing management and shareholders that hold the most sway in the current game industry. They'll do whats necessary to ensure the product sells as much as possible.
>>
>>385559941
>Minimalist
It's pretty annoying for me. Is it the Metro style that you're talking about?
>>
File: original.jpg (402KB, 1500x902px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
402KB, 1500x902px
>>385559620
Old Psygnosis covers are amazing
>>
lineart box art is always god tier

the photoshop looking stuff is generic
>>
File: 24059_boxshot_1.jpg (1017KB, 1000x1270px) Image search: [Google]
24059_boxshot_1.jpg
1017KB, 1000x1270px
>tfw no HD remake
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.