[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can other developers learn from this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: botw.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
botw.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
What can other developers learn from this game?
>>
Nothing that hasn't been done since 2003. Maybe add an extra hour of cut scenes? That's all I really got.
>>
hopefully they learned how not to do itemization

there's literally no incentive to do any side shit because there's never a cool reward for doing it
>>
It's okay when Nintendo does it.
>>
>>385546173
Mediocre games can be considered the second coming if the IP is big enough.
>>
>>385546360
While I agree that they didn't bring anything new to the table, this feels like the right direction for open world games, in terms of freedom, how big the world and how filled with content it is, and a tutorial are that doesn't feel like a tutorial area.
>>
>>385546360

No other open world game comes close to these physics
>>
>>385546173
The only worthwhile gain is the physics, everything else should be disregarded
>>
>>385546173

Open worlds become very engageing if you design a very tight mattress of world interacting mechanics that are sensible to each other.

Really, that's what this game is about.
>>
>>385546173

Good music is more important to a game than you think. Drop voice acting and cutscenes. You don't have to hold a persons hand, people like to explore freely. Good visual design is better than graphical power.
>>
Most developers won't even try to copy BotW. It's simply way too complicated for most devs to even attempt.

At best they'll half-ass the climbing mechanic and think they've done well, completely missing the point.
>>
>>385548410

>At best they'll half-ass the climbing mechanic and think they've done well, completely missing the point.
Activision has already been doing it for over a decade.
>>
>>385548717
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The climbing in BotW isn't a case of "oh look, I can climb stuff!".

It's what that mechanic means within the context of the game and how the game world is designed to accommodate it. I genuinely think most devs would shit their pants to offer the level of freedom in a game that BotW does. They'd be far too scared the player will break the game.

Nah we'll have you climb HERE and only HERE, in this little fenced-off controlled area where we can predict exactly what you'll do.
>>
>>385546173
Things to emulate
>Build your open world vertically.
>Make navigation a part of the fun with micro challenges of how you want to plot your course.
>Climbing greatly compliments the above two points.
>When including checkpoints, give each one a unique challenge to overcome before getting to it or at least a new locale.

Mistakes to learn from
>Complete open-ended world means puzzles can't build upon one another.
>You need unique enemies for different areas. Surprise and discovery are huge in these games and while the environment delivers while the enemies do not.
>A shrine as a reward doesn't click in a player's brain. Most people call the side content lacking when the shrines are actually the bulk of that content. Weapons as rewards don't feel right since they break. Clothes are the only reward that feel unique to quests since you can get money in all sorts of ways.
>>
>>385546173

A big problem with this game is that there is no underground
>>
>>385546173
It's almost as if all Zelda players have never played an MMO, even the most basic shitty famous one WoW, does most of what BotW and more.
>>
>>385550056

This post wins the dumbest post of 4chan this week.
>>
>>385550056
this bait?
>>
>>385546173

A game isn't good just because you can post webms of neat physics.

Playing around with physics gets boring surprisingly quickly.
>>
>>385546173
that my dick is big
YEET
>>
>>385550442

Good thing there's 100+ hours of other stuff to do.
>>
File: zeldafds.jpg (110KB, 450x636px) Image search: [Google]
zeldafds.jpg
110KB, 450x636px
That it isn't a sin to take ideas from other games and improve upon them. Basically everything in BotW is an idea from another game. But the sheer number of good ideas combined into one game makes BotW feel amazing. They could have just remade Zelda 1 into 3D. Instead they combined Zelda 1 with about a dozen other games.
>>
>>385549347
>A shrine as a reward doesn't click in a player's brain. Most people call the side content lacking when the shrines are actually the bulk of that content. Weapons as rewards don't feel right since they break. Clothes are the only reward that feel unique to quests since you can get money in all sorts of ways.

This. Side content should reward something memorable, and permanent. Tarrey Town was great, because it felt like you were making an impact, and improving aspects for your experience. You got story development, new vendors, and an entirely new town.

Shrine Quests just reward you with 1/4th of a heart. They all add up, but not a way that feels significant.
>>
>>385546173
They can copy every one of BotW's little touches because every other game now feels artificial without them.
>>
>>385546173
Please quit advertising your game here nintendo
>>
>>385546173
How to make a good open world game: Focus almost entirely on exploration.
>>
>>385546595
Fuck. I guess these unqiue armor pieces with different abilities dont actually exist

Nor do my health or stamina increases
>>
>>385550901

This. Though I'd still like a Zelda game closer to Zelda 1. Or a Zero Mission style remake of Zelda 2.
>>
>>385546173
Name your company nintedo
>>
File: 1485732371125.jpg (10KB, 246x236px) Image search: [Google]
1485732371125.jpg
10KB, 246x236px
>>385546879
>Nintendiots actually believe this
>>
>>385550056
Retarded faggot
>>
>>385546808
>filled with content
>shrines and bokoblin camps are considered "content"
>>
>>385553872
>can't come up with a counterexample
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.