[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games where sequels took over the franchise identity.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 15

File: DMC1.jpg (50KB, 279x397px) Image search: [Google]
DMC1.jpg
50KB, 279x397px
For better or worse, post em.

DMC1 wrongfully gets flak for being "dated" because DMC3 took the combat into an overly combo-oriented style of play. It is a common misconception that "The more moves a game has, the better!" Why is this a thing? What's drilled this into people? The challenge of DMC3 doesn't come from the enemies themselves(of which DMC1's are highly aggressive), but rather how well your muscle memory is up to snuff. The combat itself doesn't feel like a "fight", because things are wholey one-sided with you flying around at the speed of sound and pin-needling enemies to death. The lethality is gone. Is this truly what people want from their action games?
>>
>>385525042
Git gud faggot
Now you can't get free s ranks by doing the same shit a million times
>>
>>385525042
>I am too shit to know how to play an action game
Sad
>>
File: 1425409008958.jpg (65KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1425409008958.jpg
65KB, 300x300px
>>385525172
>>385525389
Ahaha, yeah. Fighting the ranking system instead of enemies. Good ones m8

Meanwhile you fags will never beat DMC1's DMD because enemies won't simply wait their turn for their beatdowns. That's what's SAD
>>
>>385525172
>>385525389
Are you retarded? No one said anything about it being hard or challenging
>>
>>385525042
>>385525172
>>385525389
>DMC.
>Good.
It was never good.
>>
>>385525526
Nah m8, DMC1 was the only good one. And to get this out of the way, Ninja Gaiden Black is of course the standard action games should be judged by. Not single-player fighting games.
>>
>>385525042
Casuals just want large amounts of content regardless of depth.

All my brother wants from fighting games is a large roster and seeing dumb shit like seeing clothing damage as the fight goes on.
>>
>>385525042
>Games where sequels took over the franchise identity.

Every Metal Gear Solid game after 2?
>>
The Kingdom Hearts games did the same shit. Dispatching enemies took like 3 seconds each in the first one because your combos were 4 hits, and that was only when you got really high leveled. Kingdom Hearts 2 came it and now you have to do a 40 hit combo to every enemy that does the same amount of damage as the 4 hit combos from the first.
>>
>>385525715
But muh cancels! Muh gauge and super modes! So flashy and shiit!
>>
>>385525042
I loved 1's atmosphere more then the rest since the sequels focused more on the CHURAYZEE part then the Gothic horror aspects
>>
>>385525715
KH 2 ruined so much shit it's ridiculous, and KH 3 is still headed in that direction. Fuck Nomura and fuck team Osaka
>>
>>385525496
>He actually has no reflexes and skill to do anything in a fast pace action game
>>
>>385525042
Well simply put, DMC3 is more fun.
>>
>>385525042
It's nice to hear somebody else say this. I've been saying it for years, but retards like >>385525172
and >>385525389 always pop up.

Shadows in DMC1 are still some of the most interesting enemies I've found in an action game. If you compare Marionettes to the other "standard enemy" types in the series, they're so much more complex it's ridiculous. The most complex enemies in DMC3 can take three actions. Marionettes have like six or seven.

To be fair, DMC4 did reintroduce some of the complexity that was wiped with 3, but it didn't capture the same feel. Presentation in 1 is also the best in the series. Level design, art design, even the fucking menu screens are awesome.
>>
>>385526159
DMC1 is fast paced and the enemies actually try to kill you instead of letting their guards up for a 60 hit xombo.
>>
File: DmC_SSS.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
DmC_SSS.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>385525172
>Now you can't get free s ranks by doing the same shit a million times

unless you play the shitty reboot
>>
File: 1425419671901.jpg (39KB, 495x455px) Image search: [Google]
1425419671901.jpg
39KB, 495x455px
>>385526159
Kid, don't reply to me when it's clear you have no clue what you're even on about. DMC3babbies everyone.

Reflexes? You mean muscle memory. You don't need reflexes when enemies telegraph planned attacks for 5 seconds long (2.5 in turbo mode, lol)
>>
>>385525042
Yeah there were definitely some things that the sequels left behind with 1.

The game was far more atmospheric thanks to its stellar music and excellent designs for enemies.

Shadows, Nobodies, Fetishes, Blades,etc were excellent grunt type enemies. And fighting "big bosses" like Phantom felt superior to similar guys like that centaur in DMC4 or Cerebrus in DMC3

I also felt like the animations were extra polished. There's something very satisfying about a DT'd Kick 13 combo and the way Dante moves when he's locked on to an enemy and has his weapons poised to attack without the need of an ugly cursor to tell you who you're aiming at.

There little things that I'm being kinda autistic about but they make the game more enjoyable in categories that the sequels don't.
>>
File: devilmaycry_conceptart_J1TtA.jpg (72KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
devilmaycry_conceptart_J1TtA.jpg
72KB, 400x600px
>>385525042
DMC3's enemies are a lot more aggressive than DMC2's at least. And I would say you need a little bit of muscle memory to get through DMC1.

But, I really hate DMC3's styles system. I don't get why so many people like it. To me it didn't make the game any more complex, it did what you said, it just let the developers throw in an abundance more of moves rather than actually make meaningful enhancements to the combat. The AI is still shittier and less fun to engage with than DMC1's.

I also think the styles system fucked with the game's sense of progression. What's honestly better?

>you learn your moves through the game, and have access to all of them at all times by the end of it, and all enemy designs are nuanced to complement this moveset because the designers knew the player would always have these moves in their arsenal

vs.

>you learn new movesets through the game, effectively giving you access to more moves, but you have to spend more time memorizing your moves then and enemy designs are far more flaccid and generic because the designers can't always predict what moveset the player might be using

It's a no brainer to me. The former is way superior and the latter is preferred by people who ultimately miss the point of what makes an action game good (it's in the enemy designs, not the movesets).
>>
>>385526605
I get what you mean. DMC1's attacks have that finality to them. DMC3/4's animations feel more like they're made to lead into others.
>>
>>385526342
It was better than DMC4 at least. They got really close to making it a good game but fucked up a few things.
>>
>>385526342
One of the few good things about DmC was the level/area design. I was so bored with DMC4's greatest hits edition of areas you fight in. We got yet another castle (with super shitty puzzles) and another forrest...I mean "jungle" that gave us another damn find the right path puzzle. It felt like a retread of DMC1.

At least with DmC you were running around a supernaturally twisted city that had more character than DMC2's cities.
>>
>>385527146
but the story in 1 and 3 are better then DmC
>>
>>385527541
I agree, though DmC has some good scenes. It just has more bad than good.
>>
File: Regards.png (226KB, 402x345px) Image search: [Google]
Regards.png
226KB, 402x345px
>>385526256
>>385526605
>>385526686
Just want to take the moment to say thanks to you guys. Honestly feels like an uphill battle to ever even talk about DMC1. People act like it's simply some long lost spin-off at this point, with it's only value being some part of lost history. I'm not sure exactly how this shit can be changed, if at all. It's very tiring.
>>
>>385525042
Wholeheartedly agree, although dmc4 is the true enemy, 3 merely started the downfall. I cant enjoy this franchise anymore due to its "fanbase" and if 5 comes out itll just be more shit in the vein of 4
>>
>>385525715
As much as I hate what KH2 and, to a lesser extent, DMC3 did now, I have to admit that back then the flashy combos completely blew me away.
>>
File: shig.jpg (874KB, 2142x1203px) Image search: [Google]
shig.jpg
874KB, 2142x1203px
>>385525172
>OP lamenting the fact that the series turned into glorified ranked musou

>LMAO git gud XD
>>
File: cuhhhhhraaaauuuzzzzyy.gif (115KB, 316x193px) Image search: [Google]
cuhhhhhraaaauuuzzzzyy.gif
115KB, 316x193px
>>385525042
this thread and it's replies are fucking weird man

why does it have to be one or the other? I fucking love DMC1, amazing game. I fucking love DMC3 also for being really fucking fun and bringing some new stuff to the table

i don't think there's anything wrong with either of them. each one has it's strengths and weaknesses, great games.

but if you dont have fun doing some of that crazy shit with agni and rudra/nevan in dmc3 i dont know what to tell you. that shit is fun as fuck
>>
>>385528743
I think most people here will say DMC1 and 3 were really good it's just that a lot of people on /v/ only seem to really like 3 and 4.

4 is ok imo but it's such a step down in almost every regard. The final bosses are probably the worst I've ever seen in these types of games.

2 is too basic compared to 1 though it had some good ideas and some stellar electornic music.

DmC is slightly above 2 and also did some good things but went in such a different direction they should've just went all the way and made it a different franchise.
>>
>>385528743
>why does it have to be one or the other?

that's how society is today. You have to pick a side. No middle ground bullshit is allowed.
>>
File: She shrugs a lot.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
She shrugs a lot.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>385525042
>>385526256
>>385526605
>>385526686

I've been saying this shit for months and every time it kicked up a storm and everyone lost their shit. Now everyone is sitting here, pipes in hand going "uhm...yes...quite"

This world ain't fair i tells 'ya
>>
>>385526605
>>385526767
That's because DMC1 Dante is super heavy compared to all the other sequels. DMC2 is super floaty as well but every time you do a power move, there's a slight pause that makes the hit have more feel though it's not nearly as significant as it is in DMC1 and DMC1 does it more so with its sound effects and animations more so than any slightly stutter or other camera trickery.

You can see a similar effect in Bayo 1 when she uses her wicked weave attacks on baddies.
>>
File: carbon based lifeforms beware.jpg (76KB, 564x321px) Image search: [Google]
carbon based lifeforms beware.jpg
76KB, 564x321px
>>385529098
>>385529125
yeah i mean this thread is just going weirdly in the opposite direction where most people are just shitting on every game in the series that isn't DMC1

i think every game in the DMC series is so good because they're all so weirdly different.

Reboot was fucking cancer though, i dont care if that's the /v/ opinion, i've followed this series since it started and playing the reboot felt terrible. nothing likeable about that game whatsoever to me.
>>
>>385528743
>>385529125

This is a retarded argument. The only thing 3 improved on was more weapons with bigger movesets, everything else is a downgrade. It's not a case of it being one or the other because DMC3 brings nothing else to the table. It's only merit is something that would be a natural progression of the series.
>>
DMC is good, it has a tight atmosphere and pacing.

DMC3 is just better to play. The atmosphere in it is actually kinda shit, but the gameplay and story are plain better.
>>
>>385528743
I appreciate all the DMC games. Even find some enjoyment through DMC2's DMD outside most of the terrible boss fights. However DMC3/4 are the only DMC people are likely to talk about, and unjustly hailed as the second coming of action games imo. You have to take one side to the extreme however if attention is to ever be drawed towards it.

>>385529164
So have i anon, and the exact same has always happened. I'm not complaining though, this is a nice change of pace and it's at least making me hate this place just a little less.
>>
>>385529541
I think DmC was too different in direction from past games but it's not a bad game in its own right.

. Again if they had change things up like setting it in England and making the lead some punk rocker chick and dumped the whole color coded enemies thing, I think it would've been more appreciated
>>
File: 1425342412693.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1425342412693.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>385529992
>lead some punk rocker chick
>>
File: DMC4 strategy guide.jpg (46KB, 400x380px) Image search: [Google]
DMC4 strategy guide.jpg
46KB, 400x380px
>>385529646
Alright. I'm a HUGE fucking DMC1 fan (top 5 games of all time imo) but take off the fucking nostalgia glasses dude. There's huge aspects of that game that are clunky as fuck, the gunplay isn't nearly as satisfying as it is in 3, the camera is frustrating, the first person segments are absolute trash, and all of the "muh complicated enemies" thing you keep spouting is just nonsense. You can dispatch anything in the game with the same 3 hit combo if you choose to. The beauty of these games is the combat can be as simple or as complicated as YOU choose it to be.

DMC3 definitely wasn't perfect either, but to say that game didn't bring a TON of new stuff to the table is just ignorant. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores DMC1.

I mean can you really say you're a fan of the series if you only like the first game and none of the other ones? That's like saying you're a big fan of final fantasy but hate entries 2-15
>>
>>385529992
>>385530125
>dealing with BBC overbearing nanny state that's super corrupt in the near future
>have the chick be some sort of half siren/banshee rockstar thing
>implement more musical-esque weapons like Nevan from 3 or Bayonetta's angel weapons
>have her be a major bitch who fucks crackhead rockers and muslim guys
>fight enemies from folklore and mythology in that area

It would've hit all the bases that Ninja Theory is always trying to do. What were they thinking?
>>
>>385530304
He's just pouting because DMC gets treated like a redheaded step child by cuhrazyfags. He won't acknowledge that there's merit to the additions DMC3 made that appeals to that niche for that reason.
>>
>>385530304
>the camera is frustrating
It is in 3 as well. I agree that the gameplay angle for saying DMC1 is better isn't that strong though, because it does have flaws.

Aesthetically though, DMC1 is a lot better to me. It's darker in a good way, more mysterious.
>>
>>385530880
Oh it definitely is, but movement in 3 is much improved in my opinion, which makes dealing with the camera less of a struggle.
>>
I fucking hate DMC's fixed camera angles with mandatory lock on gameplay. Gamepads are holding games back again.
>>
>>385530304
> the first person segments are absolute trash
valid complaint as any, but is 5 mins. of the game as a whole tops.

>fan of the series if you only like the first game and none of the other ones?
What the fuck, why is this even a question? Do you think people aren't actually like this? Final fantasy is a horrible example as well as every entry is wildly different. I like the PS1 ones myself, but want nothing more to do with the rest of the series.

Also like how you're addressing people like it's simply one person defending DMC1.
>>
>>385530304
I think you're missing the point my man. Yes, DMC1 has it's flaws, i'm a nostalgiafag, but not blind. The PROBLEM is that DMC3 never felt like the natural progression of that game to me, something that evolved from 1 and ironed out those flaws. It used the overall basic framework of DMC1 and went for it's own style.
>>
File: Q2.jpg (135KB, 800x950px) Image search: [Google]
Q2.jpg
135KB, 800x950px
This game here. Fuck the strogg, fuck being exclusively multiplayer. Quake 1 for life.
>>
File: re.jpg (56KB, 600x256px) Image search: [Google]
re.jpg
56KB, 600x256px
>>385525042
RE
for me the series died after code veronica
>>
Persona
>>
File: 1335735624357.jpg (91KB, 563x650px) Image search: [Google]
1335735624357.jpg
91KB, 563x650px
Reminder that the vast majority of DMC3 """""""fans""""""" literally never played the game before DmC and cannot do half the shit they pretend they can.

Autistic combo videos do not make for games that are fun to actually play.
>>
>>385525715
>>385526065
are you guys retarded? KH2 is an improvement over the first in every single way. the combo variety and tools at your disposal is so much bigger its not even funny; unless you unironically enjoy doing the same combo over and over again. I guess youre gonna start saying that Nier has better combat than automata because its less "flashy."
>>
>>385533649
I know this feel well. Capcom could have really thrown classic fans a fucking bone after every other action game release. But nah, they let it die with the gamecube, while porting RE4 to every console imaginable to unfairly rack up it's sales. Only recently did they bother to start porting REmake/0, but too little too late, it's dead jim. Now they're trying to "capture the spirit" in first person. Doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

>>385533670
So Persona 3? I'm kinda surprised anyone actually liked P1 or 2 exclusively, and this is from a huge SMT fan.

>>385534173
Yeah, these are what are known as DMC3babbies. The game is far more accessible, less challenging overall, so /v/ is chock full of them.
>>
iorc the spider enemy from 3 gave me more trouble than any single enemy from 1. However when it comes to bosses that nightmare machine dude can fuck off.
>>
>>385534770
Well while P1 and moreso P2 were rusty gameplay wise, their plots and characters were a lot less safe than 3, 4 or 5. I don't even mind the modern games but P3 in particular felt like a slap to the face
>>
>>385533649
The only way the old formula could work is if they continued to throw new characters in. It doesn't make sense for Leon and Chris to not be headbutting zombies and blasting hunters after doing it for damn near 20 years.
>>
>>385526159
The difference is enemies in DMC1 try to kill you. Everything in DMC3/4 aside from a few special cases(like DMD Lusts in 3 and Blitz's in 4) and of course bosses are just harmless punching bags.
>>
>>385526686
I don't even know why people give a fuck about Style systems in the first place. All the fancy Jump Cancel combos you see in combo videos don't actually give you very good Style points yet they take alot of mechanical skill to pull off.

I love the DMC games, I love DMC3, I love DMC1, I like DMC4. They all bring their own merits to the franchise, but holy fuck am I sick and tired of people who discount DMC1 like it's nothing. Like the game wasn't a fucking massive hit for Capcom and act like it didn't influence action games for the better. It is still worth playing today for it's unique atmosphere and very aggressive enemies in comparison to 3 and 4.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.