[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are lack of mirrors because of technical limitations or just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: 1501334029627m.jpg (51KB, 1024x594px) Image search: [Google]
1501334029627m.jpg
51KB, 1024x594px
are lack of mirrors because of technical limitations or just laziness on the devs part
>>
>>385522224
I refuse to believe a game with a location "Mirror Peak" doesn't have working mirrors
>>
both
>>
>>385522224
Technical limitations.

Most games are optimized just enough for what they have to render. With a mirror, that essentially doubles. So, for now, we get no mirrors, foggy mirrors, broken mirrors, rusty mirrors, etc.

Eventually mirrors will come back.
>>
>>385522224
>are mirrors hard to implement, or hard to implement
hard hitting questions here on /v/
>>
>>385522732
technical constraints breed innovation. the devs were just downright lazy.
>>
Mirrors are computationally expensive
>>
MP2 had mirrors, and I believe the engine is inherited?
>>
File: maxpayne2 2013-08-19 00-01-47-79.jpg (89KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxpayne2 2013-08-19 00-01-47-79.jpg
89KB, 1920x1080px
>>385522879
Yes but they cheated though. They used two rooms for each one
>>
>>385523002
Really? The mirror in the very first hospital room though? I played with the widescreen hack, and it made the mirrors render with incorrect aspect ratio (too thin Payne). This would not have happened if mirrors were just a regular geometry and not a separate rendering entity.
>>
>Playing third person shooter
>Look into mirror
>See camera crew following behind you
>>
>>385522792
There's literally two ways you can render a mirror in real time without waiting hours for one frame to render both are to taxing to be worth the eye candy.
>>
>>385523216
Devil Inside actually had a cameraman following the main character all the time. You could switch the view between a drone camera the cameraman or first person in it.
>>
File: 1501270336866.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1501270336866.gif
607KB, 800x792px
mesa don't look in mirrors cause me ugly nigga hahah
>>
File: 375_2.jpg (104KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
375_2.jpg
104KB, 640x480px
>>385523216
I hate when that happens
>>
>>385522224
Mirrors are usually very taxing on performance, more often than not it's probably a decision along the lines of "mirrors aren't a big enough upgrade in order to downgrade something else to make 'em fit".
>>
>>385523002
I hate when you faggots bitch about them "cheating". Who cares how they did it? It's the end result that counts. As long as it doesn't cause performance issues and functionally replicates a mirror, it's a success.
>>
>>385523671
This, same reason game soften use pre-baked AO or shadows, etc. To get true realtime global illumination working on most current hardware requires compromises elsewhere.
>>
>lterally who game of the PS2 era has mirrors, physics and al the other basic echnology
>AAA games with multimillion dollar budgets dont
how is this acceptable?
>>
Aren't consoles straight-up too weak to render mirrors?
>>
Let me explain this to /v/ in a way that hopefully they understand:

Every game has a graphics budget. Even PC games back in the day of Quake would project what would be an "acceptable" computer when it would come out and build a game to run decently on that. That means that at all times you work under the assumption that there is an overhead you're avoiding.

A lot of the time cool but expensive rendering technologies are not used because of this. With the amount of post processing done on modern engines you might end up with more than double the performance hit if you implement mirrors and so most companies decide that it's not worth it.
>>
>>385523996
The complexity of things that have to be accounted to render a mirror the way most ps2 games did is just not worth it. Also you forget ps2 rendered mirrors at 1/5 of the res the game run(lol gtasa mirrors). Imagine how would such a thing look on a sharp hd screen.
>>
>>385523998
It's not that they're too weak, it's just when you have a clear 1D performance requirements bar dictated by the hardware, would you change it by 1.5x overall just to render some mirrors somewhere??
>>
>>385523824
This. Every effect is "cheating". People bitch about normal mapping because it isn't real geometry. Even when it looks identical. Then they complain when it becomes geometry and their toaster can't handle it anymore. Then stop bitching about "cheating". This whole begging devs to render everything straight up with no compression, and no cop-outs is why games are too fucking big and perform like shit. And none of it even makes the gameplay suffers in the crossfire.
>>
>>385523824
Almost the entirety of real time rendering is taking rendering technologies and retrofitting them to be simpler for a computer to run them.

If it works, it works. It's been this way since the beginning of real time rendering.
>>
>>385522675
Is this game at least comfy to play through with good atmosphere and exploration with a nice chill score?
>>
File: glassensemblealt.png (2MB, 1084x1440px) Image search: [Google]
glassensemblealt.png
2MB, 1084x1440px
>>385525418
Yes it's pretty comfy
>>
File: 20170524112825_1.jpg (47KB, 1068x601px) Image search: [Google]
20170524112825_1.jpg
47KB, 1068x601px
>>
>>385522723
>Most games are optimized
>21st millennium
>>
>>385526197
That engine was wasteful as fuck anyways. Because it had to create actual real geometry for each and every shadow that it cast it was already expending so much resources. It's also why all Id Tech 4 based games had simpler looking geometry than other games, because it had to keep this in mind. At the time it was either shadow volumes (as Carmack did implement) or shadow maps, which is the industry standard now. Carmack didn't think that he could make good looking shadows with shadow maps because of the resolution of the textures he was saving those onto. I do not envy devs that had to work on 256 mb of VRAM.

>>385526329
Yeah, it's true, dude. Games are heavily optimized. Weird to find out, you might want to read some of the technical whitepapers that come out on how to actually implement a lot of the stuff that's in games in real time. It's pretty interesting stuff.
>>
>>385523996

Let's not forget about puddles reflecting both projectiles and characters in Metal Slug
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.