[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which version of FF4 is the best, /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 10

File: FF4 DS vs PSP.png (560KB, 840x346px) Image search: [Google]
FF4 DS vs PSP.png
560KB, 840x346px
Which version of FF4 is the best, /v/?
>>
PSP just don't play the awful After Year.

DS is nice but really should only be played if you know how the game plays since it adds a lot of weird tricks that can fuck you over badly if you don't see it coming.
>>
>>385518383
SNES
>>
File: 1308527909830.jpg (13KB, 253x320px) Image search: [Google]
1308527909830.jpg
13KB, 253x320px
>>385518540
>>
>>385518383
PSP if you can stomach the weird font, GBA if you can't
DS is really good for fans of the game who want something more from it, but it has the same cheap difficulty that FF3 DS has and you need a guide to get the most out of the augment system
>>
>>385518540
>>385518637
>recommending the shittiest version of FF4
>>
>>385518383
Wonderswan
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SOoPNQ2NpI
>>
>>385519024
Such good tone.
>>
>>385518383
GBA
>>
How come all those ports of ds version look so shitty?
>>
>>385518383
DS>SFC original>PS1>PSP>GBA>USA II

You should still play the first two.
>>
Why 3d versions of FF5 and 6 did not appear? Why only make awful mobile ports?
>>
DS is pretty much the only challenging FF game.
>>
>>385518383
SNES
>>
>>385520290
because of a decade of faggotry wasting time remaking 7

I was really hoping 5 would be on the 3DS
>>
The DS version was my first ever FF game, and I loved it, so I'm pretty biased.
DS/Mobile/Steam>PSP>GBA>everything else.
>>
Which version should I pick if I am a newcomer to FF4?

Why is TAY so hated?
>>
>>385520916
SNES
>>
>>385518383
DS is a challenging game and the augment system is nice, it's also portable which is always a plus. The last dungeon is gonna fug your butt so be prepared.
>>
>>385520916
Go with the psp version since it matches the original style more. Or if you want voice acting and chibi models go with DS. TAY is hated because it adds nothing to the game and is just a cluster fuck of where are they now chapters. >>385521048
Snes is inferior in every way to the psp,ds,gba versions.
>>
>>385520916
If I started with the DS version, you can too.
Though if you don't like the difficulty, play the PSP version.
And maybe it's because it was originally a Wiiware game that had a short first campaign, and the rest of the character's stories had to be bought as DLC. Base game was eight bucks, add in all the DLC chapters, and it ended up being a 35 dollar Wiiware game. Later ports included it all, so it's no longer an issue.
>>
DS loved the extra challenge
>>
>>385520784
>Implying the remake has been in developement for a decade
No, they wasted time on the awful After Years, and several mobile ports of 6 before that.
They could have chugged out a decent DS version of the two if they wanted to, why they didn't is a fucking mystery.
>>
>>385520916
it's a pointless continuation much like how Advent Children is also pointless. Alot of past characters portrayal get ruin in the After Years
>>
>>385521084
>inferior in every way
The other versions look and sound like shit, so what ways are left exactly?
>>
>>385521343
bait
>>
>>385521119
>it was originally a Wiiware game that had a short first campaign, and the rest of the character's stories had to be bought as DLC.
It started off as a Japanese-only mobile game actually
>>
>>385521407
>>
The DS version is great, but FFIV is a historically important game for the series in a lot of ways.

I would play the SNES version first and then the DS version if you enjoyed it.
>>
>>385521515
well, here in the west, I mean.
>>
Snes
>>
>>385518483
I played the DS version with no previous knowledge of FF4 and I remember finding it to be really easy.
>>
>>385520784
Man FF7 with Kingdom Hearts gameplay is gonna be a shitstorm to watch unfold.
>>
>>385521673
My first experience with FFIV was the DS game and I thought it was moderately difficult here and there. If somebody like me managed to beat it though it can't be that hard in the larger scope, though I did use Phoenix Kain to cheese Zeromus.
>>
>>385521830
>Phoenix Kain
Whazzat mean?
>>
>>385521895
You can get the Phoenix Augment from someone if you give them Augments before they leave permanently. I think it's FuSoYa. Phoenix makes it so that when the carrier dies, everyone else gets rezzed/full healed. Since Kain is always in the air, he's almost certainly going to die last, Rezzing your whole team besides him and giving you another shot.
>>
>>385518893
psx is worse.
>>
>>385521895
Kain with the Phoenix Augment. As I recall Phoenix completely revives and restores all party members when the character with Phoenix goes down. Since Kain is always offscreen with Jump he'll be safe from opponent attacks most of the time so when he finally does go down he revives the rest of the party, your party members revive him then rinse and repeat.
>>
play the nonexistant 2D sprite based version with the classic style, original soundtrack, and GBA extras

In reality just go PSP and deal with the semi-RPG maker lookin graphics
>>
>>385522138
>semi-rpg maker
It's alright, I know about Legend of Queen Opala anyway
>>
Wait, why do people recommend the psp version over the SNES version? I was planning on playing the one that comes in Chronicles for ps1 which I'm guessing is the SNES version.
>>
>>385522321
better sound, graphics, GBA extras, and includes the after years. Also portable.
>>
The DS version adds a lot of character with the 3D models and voice acting, IMO. It's also got an interesting bit of extra stuff on top of the existing combat system in the form of Augments, which are like extra special abilities.
>>
>>385522321
has postgame content that the SNES version doesn't have and allows you to pick and choose who you want in your final party
also the snes version has a god awful translation and i'm not sure if the ps1 port is much better
>>
>>385522321
The PS1 port has load times, doesn't it?
Either go actual snes or do what the other retards are telling you.
>>
DS meaningfully improves the gameplay and expands the story tastefully. PSP wins in sheer content. However, I hear the iOS/Android port of the DS version adds similar extra dungeons to those the PSP version has, so I'd look into that, though I'm not certain.
>>
>>385518383
steam/pc version

it's the DS version but polished, and has an interesting augment system that lets you somewhat customize your main characters by combining abilities from the side characters.
They also increased the difficulty a bit.
>>
The original Super Famicom version in Japanese. But since it's doubtful OP speaks Japanese, the PS1 port is mostly playable.

PSP shoehorns too much shit that shouldn't be in the game and fucks up the translation pretty badly. DS is a completely different game. GBA is just a precursor to the PSP version, and has a god awful number of bugs.

Don't bother with The After Years unless you think fanfiction is good.
>>
DS version is the best.

>New cutscences to the script
>Voice acting
>As pure as you can be with FF4
>>
>>385522838
>pure as you can be
>augments

Augments are dumb due to only being understandable and strategic if you know about them beforehand.
>>
>>385522321
>Wait, why do people recommend the psp version over the SNES version?

They're underage faggots and that's probably the first (or only) version of the game they played. I guess they find SNES graphics unpalatable, but it's ironically the PSP version that looks worse with its poorly redrawn RPG Maker sprites. So much shit looks out of proportion, like half the game's assets were redone by totally different artists.

Play a translation of the SFC game, or get the PS1 version.
>>
>>385522640
>>385522321
PS1 is Hard Type, while the SNES is Easy Type. I think PS1 has the best difficulty balance of all the versions. Translation is mediocre, but slightly better than SNES. There aren't load times. It was Chrono Trigger that was plagued by them.

Anyway: DS > PS1 > PSP > GBA > SNES.
>>
>>385518483
There is literally nothing wrong with TAY
>>
>>385522838
>Voice acting
You're supposed to list good things if you want to defend it
>>
>>385523054
i only recommend PSP version because I like the bonus dungeon and party creation.

That and you can't run in the SNES version. I've played SNES FFIV but I'm not sure people should start with it
>>
>>385520290
I heard it was because Takashi Tokita didn't feel confident handling games he didn't work on.
>>
>>385518483
PSP because it has the best version of The After Years since it has nothing omitted.

If you want the best FF4 experience, the PSP is the superior version.
>>
>>385521673
FF4 might actually be the easiest FF
>>
>>385523614
IX is the easiest by a country mile.
>>
>>385523614
The PSP port of FF1 is a joke.
>>
>>385523772
Don't remind me. They fucking ruined it. FF1 is still one of my favorite games in the series, but the handheld versions are just trash.
>>
>>385523553
>the bonus dungeon
All the extra content is poorly shoehorned and does not improve the game in any way.

>That and you can't run in the SNES version
Uh, yes you can. You can run from practically every non-boss enemy.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Stop criticizing the original game when you've never played it to begin with.
>>
>>385524132
He means running on the map.
>>
>>385521673
He's talking about the fact that the game deliberately changes things to fuck up people that played previous version, such as turning boss weaknesses into boss counterattack triggers, as well as an augment system that expects the player to give augments that characters that the player will KNOW will drop out of the story soon.
>>
>>385523532
But the voice acting is actually good.
>>
>>385523240
>PS1 is Hard Type

There is no such thing as "Hard Type." What you're referring to is the original game, before Square gutted it and brought it over to the West in a more watered down form.

The Western release isn't "Easy Type," for that matter. Easy Type was released only in Japan, and it's only somewhat based on the Western release. It features some items, AI changes and enemy sprites that the Western release didn't have.

>Original SFC version
This is the original game, how it was intended to be balanced. Fan translations and the PS1 release are both based on this. This is what you are erroneously referring to as "Hard Type." There is no such thing as "Hard Type."

>U.S. release
This is the gutted, heavily censored version that was released outside of Japan. Difficulty was dumbed down, and several items and character commands were removed because Square thought we were too dumb to understand them. No, this is not "Easy Type" despite being significantly easier than the SFC version.

>Easy Type
This was a special release ONLY IN JAPAN. No, it's not based on the English version. It's a dumbed down version of the game that's different in its own right, and it was designed with young Japanese children in mind. The script is even re-written so children can better understand it.
>>
>>385524132
I mean B button run, you dingus. As in walk around towns very fast. Only if you want to. So no "WELL UH THEY RUINED THE MOVEMENT PACE" counterargument.

Regardless of how natural it is, the bonus dungeon and party swap are insanely optional. You can go with the classic 5, beat the game, and call it a day. Or you can do the alternative. You see its about options. People have different preferences. Why not give a new player the opportunity to potentially have extra content? Not everybody is you or shares your opinion.

Don't accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about. I know all the uselesss FFIV info there is, such as the Piggy stick weapon being in Easytype and the 64 stair bug.

The one advantage SNES version has is the artstyle. And players can figure out for themselves how much they care about the graphics as that's easy to detect. So if you prefer the graphics a ton, go with that. I like the SNES style too but others may not.
>>
>>385524319
>He means running on the map.

The feature is called "dash" in every English translation. Running implies fleeing from battles.

The PS1 version added a dash function.
>>
>>385524559
>the bonus dungeon and party swap are insanely optional

So, it's perfectly fine for a re-release to gut the story and add a bunch of broken content, as long as it's optional? I suppose you'll gobble up any old shit SE throws your way, huh. Who cares if these re-releases are outsourced cash-ins with incompetent rewrites that are plunging the series' canon straight down the toilet.

>Not everybody is you or shares your opinion.

And yet you're here to force your opinion on this entire thread by ranting about how your preferred release is objectively better than any other version of the game. Remove the beam from thine own eye.
>>
>>385524559
>Regardless of how natural it is, the bonus dungeon and party swap are insanely optional. You can go with the classic 5, beat the game, and call it a day. Or you can do the alternative. You see its about options.

Thanks. I'll share that opinion with the rest of /v/ the next time they complain about poorly scripted politics being shoehorned into Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

It's optional, guys!
>>
>>385525325
>gut the story

How? Only the SNES version removes a significant amount of plot

http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/

>>385525517
I'm sorry that a small message saying "hey you can change party members if you want" completely destroys the game for you.
>>
File: IMG_3558.jpg (34KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3558.jpg
34KB, 256x223px
>Just play the SNES version with a fan translation!
>>
File: 3621_front.jpg (44KB, 640x449px) Image search: [Google]
3621_front.jpg
44KB, 640x449px
It's called FFII you dumbfucks
>>
>>385518383
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_differences
Just read this and decide.

>>385526127
>Using the American SNES-era numerals
>>
>>385526173
>using foreign language numbering systems to account for games that never come out

Fucking shitface, do you let foreigners rape your women too?
>>
>>385525984
>shitting on the Shat

Unforgivable.
>>
File: (You).png (133KB, 593x419px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
133KB, 593x419px
>>385526295
>It didn't come out where I lived when I was a kid so it doesn't count
>Even when these games have been ported/remade since
>>
>>385526295
Do you have sex with your own women?
>>
>there are people recommending the snes version
wew imagine what kind of nostalgic manchildren you have to be in order to enjoy that
>>
>>385526295
What number should I use if it never came out in my country then?
>>
File: 1486276424912.jpg (69KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1486276424912.jpg
69KB, 640x626px
Don't listen to any of these idiots, OP. I've played and completed every iteration of FF4, some of them in Japanese. I even completed the seemingly obscure WonderSwan Color port.

Pic related is the most accurate rendition of the game that's available in English. Note: "Most" accurate. It's not a perfect, literal 1:1 translation. But it's the best thing available to you if you don't understand a word of Japanese.

Let me be perfectly clear: The GBA game is a complete re-write of the game's script, it's not a translation of the original game's script in any way. Again, COMPLETE re-write. There's all kind of made up dialogue that wasn't in the original game, and about 2/3 of the way through, the writing goes from terse to incredibly lazy and half-assed, often skimming over dialogues and removing things that WERE in the original script. The PSP game is based largely on this script, and the DS game is yet another complete re-write. I do not advise you to waste your time with those versions. Play the game in its original form, then move on to other versions if you so desire.

Secondly, there's a lot of content in later releases that will both break the difficulty and make the game needlessly confusing. Just how much you can break the game depends on the version in question, but the GBA version takes the cake. Additionally, the PSP version adds a whole new plot development that's frankly written like a fanfic, and one that I would certainly not regard as canon.
>>
>>385525865
>I'm sorry that a small message

I'm obviously referring to the entirety of optional content placed in the PSP release, not the "small message" that you're trying to strawman.
>>
>>385527956
>PS1
LOL

NICE FUCKING LOADING SCREENS
>>
>>385525984

This is the kind of autistic shit that makes me wary of fan translations. I really don't understand all the circlejerking that centers around Ted Woolsey, even to the point of intentionally shitting up a translation as some kind of homage to this man. I doubt he even cares.
>>
>play through FFIV-VI for the first time this year
>the only one that's above mediocre is V

What gives? I thought VI was like, the true FF connoisseur's choice. Obviously that was just nostalgia speaking.
>>
FF4 on DS is capped at 15fps right?
Is there any way to fix that?
>>
File: IMG_3559.png (8KB, 251x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3559.png
8KB, 251x236px
>>385528670
ok just don't walk into any optional dungeons and shut the game off after the ending

Wow that was hard

>>385527956
PS1 script is arguably worse than the SNES script. GBA script is literally just the PS1 script with stuff like this removed. You are full of shit.
>>
>>385527956
But that's wrong. It's true that PSP was based on GBA, but GBA was based on PS1, which was not particularly faithful to the original to begin with. More faithful than the shitty original SNES translation, though.

Anyway, PS1 still has the best gameplay and music.

>>385528673
Wipe this meme from the face of the earth. Chrono Trigger was the one with the loading problems.
>>
>>385518383
Whatever, you are playing a bad FF either way.
>>
>>385520290
>>385520784

FFV is basically already perfection.

Also Bravely Default is also really good. Don't fall for the "need to replay it 4 times" meme.
>>
>>385528887
The irony is that these same people feel Woolsey was stupid and made shit up.

So rather than do that, they oull stuff out of their ass and put in jokes while selling it as "a more authentic experience". Aka "everyone swears because that's totally what they did before localization toned it down".
>>
>>385530701
All the PS ports of SNES games had loading problems. CT had them worse, but it was there for other games too.

They were by no means unplayable, but there's not reason to play them when the GBA versions literally have no waiting times.
>>
>>385531520
Yeah, GBA just has garbage music.
>>
File: IMG_3561.png (7KB, 251x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3561.png
7KB, 251x236px
>Swearing and then writing "bleep" into the text

why
>>
>>385523604
What does the Android/iOS port omit?

>>385531520
Doesn't solely FFIV just load the whole thing to RAM, so there are no loading issues?
>>
>>385526295
So Chrono Trigger doesn't exist, and Chrono Cross is actually Chrono Trigger?
Got it.
>>
>>385523306
it's one of the wrost ff games ever, faggot.
>>
>>385534061
It's no worse than FFIV itself in any way. Which is to say, it's mediocre, like FFIV. I'm sorry you're too blinded by nostalgia to see this.
>>
>>385534152
it's not worse than ff iv you dumb faggot.

if FFIV is 5/10, then TAY is 0/10 and that's the fact.
>>
>>385534417
You're right, it's not worse than FFIV. Looks like you agree with me, as you just said it yourself.
>>
>>385534516
also, you fucking idiot, I've played this game TWO YEARS ago so no, I'm not blinded by nostalgia.

And you said it's "no worse". No, FFIV is objectively better. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fag.
>>
GBA
>>
>>385534631
Relax, Pedro. I was just having a laugh; English obviously isn't your first language.
>>
>>385534823
>hahah I was just pretending to be retarded

so you're basically have no arguments and can't admit I'm right?
>>
>>385534919
Pedro, please. You're not even understanding me on a basic level anymore.
>>
Snes version has magical dialogue like, "spoony bard."

DS version has tons and tons of missing dialogue and story put back into the game.

Steam version is the DS version without the "wight" or whatever eidolon.
>>
>>385518383
PSP version
DS visuals kind of hinder the tone of the story, plus the PSP sprites are gorgeous
>>
>>385534992
Like I said, no arguments. Hilarious.
>>
Why did FF3 get a 3d version on psp but 4 didn't?

Are the mobile ports of 4 any good
>>
>>385535095
Well, Pedro, I do have one argument for you: you should try to pay more attention in English class, since you've made quite a fool of yourself here by not grasping basic English. Fortunately for you, we're both anonymous, so it could have been worse. Have a good day.
>>
>>385535472
No arguments - the post.
>>
>>385535472
so fucking mad lmao, get btfo kid
>>
I prefer the DS version for stuff like augments, its nice to give the game some decent customization. I also far prefer Paladin Cecil's look in it, seems way more fitting than the recolored fighter sprite.
>>
>>385534631
"no worse than" and "not worse than" mean the same thing retard
>>
>>385535757
if FFIV is 5/10 then TAY is 0/10. Only retards actually think TAY is better than the actual main game.
>>
>>385518383

To be honest, the SFC hard type version because it has the original gameplay (not a plus to some, I know), and it's in Japanese, so there's no localization issues. If we're talking English versions only, the it's the PSX/PSP version for gameplay, DS version for best localization.
>>
>>385535931
not an argument
>>
>>385536104
Whatever. TAY is a fucking masterpiece. Please go ahead and call me Padro again. I'm done.
>>
DS no question, the new gameplay features and increased difficulty make it one of the best FF games in the series.
>>
>>385536172
not an argument
>>
>>385532029

Fuck is way worse than damn to people who are still offended by swearing.
>>
>>385535198
IV's is the DS version with new bonus dugeons, TAY's cuts bonus dugeons from the original but also removes the single most offensive story element of the game
>>
Wonderswan for that dank-ass low-fi music
>>
>>385537106
What does it remove?
>>
>>385518383
Left
>low-poly n64 shit
Right
>generic RPG Maker shit

The correct answer is the SNES version.
OR the GBA version with appropriate palette and sound hacks applied. But the SNES version is preferred.
>>
>>385539735
>SNES
>good
Dumb faggot lmao
>>
>>385529034

I respect your position, but I'm curious for my own reasons, which version of VI did you play?
>>
>The After Years
>>
why does everybody keep calling the snes version shit? somebody explain this to me, what's wrong with it?
>>
File: latest[1].png (178KB, 401x576px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
178KB, 401x576px
TAY did one thing right: smokin hot adult Porom.
>>
>>385540226
isn't the translated snes version (FF2), supposed to be very bad? I've heard not only is the translation crap but stuff is made MUCH easier and some abilities like Darkness are removed
>>
>>385540378
Something it did right for me, at least in the Wii version, dunno about other versions, is during flash backs the game used the original FFIV's graphics.
I especially liked it during Yang's chapter, where it shows a bunch of moments of his daughter's life. It starts out in FFIV's style, then as things get closer to the present, it jumps to TAY's style.
It's the little things, man.
>>
>>385540454
The official Overseas version is basically a variation on Japan's EasyType. It wasn't based on EasyType, nor was EasyType based on the Overseas version, but they're similar in removed content. Most extra abilities were removed.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.