[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

redpill me on the >OPEN WORLD CRAFTING SURVIVAL Genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1500397371918.jpg (68KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
1500397371918.jpg
68KB, 460x215px
redpill me on the
>OPEN WORLD CRAFTING SURVIVAL
Genre
>>
>>385510110
it sucks.
consider yourself redpilled.
>>
File: 1501180971002.jpg (98KB, 260x289px) Image search: [Google]
1501180971002.jpg
98KB, 260x289px
No redpill its opinion.

I would expect to wait a few more years before anything REALLY good comes out
>>
>>385510503
Genre is objectively bad.
>>
>>385510110
My friend meme'd me into wasting money on this game. I knew I would regret it but bought it anyway
Crafting isn't fun. I can think of like 2 games it is fun in, and both are because they are rpgs and you can craft really good stuff if you work hard.
Collecting materials to build basic shit isn't fun.
The game is also bad for a few other reasons
>>
>>385510110
>redpill me meme
>>>/pol/
>>
I've had Rust for a week at the time of writing this review / guide. I have 50hrs at this point.
What follows is a review of the various stages of your rust play-through, from wipe to wipe.

In the beginning:
- You are given a randomly generated character, and spawn naked and afraid.
I am a black male, finally I can use BBC in my online rust dating profile.
*If you can't handle this point, do not pass begin, do not collect 200 wood, GTFO.

- You have a rock and a torch, they are used to bash trees, animals, rocks and hordes of preteen nakeds that chase, and kill you for no reason. Be careful! Trust no squeakers! And if you come across someone who doesn't kill you right away...BE CAREFUL! They are cunning and probably have a deeper, more mature psychopathic nature.

- Once you gather enough wood for spears, stuck a few naked preteens to death, and move your way up the food chain, you'll need a place to stash your goodies. Location is very important, you will need access to basic resources like fresh water, stone and wood, but also isolated enough to not attract the older, more geared players that will level your base and put you in the middle of their circle jerk while chanting "whats good ma dude" to completion before killing you...Then picking you up saying "sorry brah, my bad, sorry man, want to join us?" IT'S A TRAP! They will kill you after 5 seconds whether you respond or not.

- Now after getting your vagina pushed into the dirt a couple of times, or in my case, an impressive BBC (A couple times being an understatement) you will establish a little 2 x 2 house that's quite isolated, some food in the chest, a nice pickaxe, hatchet and a roaring furnace. You might even be so lucky as to have a friendly neighbor. Well done, you have made it further than you would have for about 10 hrs of your initial gameplay. Don't let this discourage you from getting the game though! Or do, you salty noob.
>>
While there is a lot of people who enjoy them, it's still a form of a niche genre, because people who enjoy them don't overlap too much with other genres and groups.

Some of them are awful, some of them are decent in what they are doing - the ratio of awful and unfinished ones to good ones is skewed unusually high towards the bad ones because the genre recently appeared and proved to be a gold-mine, thus attracting a LOT of low-effort cash-grabs flooding the market.

I think the appeal of it is actually quite related to the appeal of MMO RPG's, and that it's actually between these multiplayer-focused open-world survivor games and MOBA's that stole MMORPG's thunder.
People like the skinner-box type randomization of rewards, highly repetetive core gameplay-loops and a lot of emergent scenarios (often being player-driven) while simultaneously keeping some form of progression goals. This is what MMOS have been frequently selling, but often failing to deliver, especially on immersion and emergence.

Personally I tend to avoid most of them, but there are few exceptions. Mostly, to me it seems to be the issue of multiplayer: more multiplayer-focused ones seem to me to be mechanically worse than singleplayer-focused ones.

The few I DID enjoy quite a lot were:
The Long Dark
Subnautica
Miasmata
Factorio (if you count that as open-world crafting survival)

Each had the advantage of having stronger focus on certain mechanics set. The Long Dark has well designed environments and tight immediate survival system.
Subnautica is much more focused on exploration and has a fairly tightly gated progression - making it more fun on first playthrough, but losing replay values somewhat.

Miasmata had AMAZING navigation and innovative movement systems, making just walking around into a bit of a puzzle.

Factorio is really about logicstics and automatizations, and it's incredibly robust and complex and polished, and there is something uniquely rewarding about making closed loop systems
>>
The Middle:

- Now that you've ticked off two to three of Maslow's tiers it's time to have some fun.

- You will need to grow your arsenal and this can be done in a few ways depending on your skill set:
a) Do you like exploring and avoiding danger? Night time rad town runs might be for you!
b) Do you like adrenaline rushes and close calls with death? Killing geared players on their rad town runs might be for you!
c) Do you enjoy asserting your dominance over others, puffing up your own ego over those that clearly are helpless against it? Raiding the nakeds might be for you! *use of the "What's good ma dude?" slogan is optional.
d) Are you a PVP god and enjoy using the terms "Get Rekt" and "360 no scope"? Raiding other big boy clans might be for you! *A YouTube channel to upload tutorials on how to 1 v 5 is optional.

- Expect to get raided! No matter how isolated you are, how strong you think you are or how many slaves you've forced into hard labor on your hemp farm, there will come a time when you get raided. If you are lucky, your base could hold them off for long enough while you and your human shield of slaves fight them off, with all your cleverly placed traps, your double stacked foundations and your triple stacked walls. In most cases, however, you will get a rather efficient, high pressured assrape that will usually take place when you are out shopping IRL.
>>
>>385510980
>bringing /pol/ into everything
Reported m8
>>
- The aftermath of a raid: Once you come back to an empty house, you will go through the five stages of loss. Namely denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. The only part we will discuss is acceptance, provided you didn't destroy your PC in stage 2. There are really only 4 options after a raid, and that again is dependent on your skill set:
Type a) players: Pick up your sleeping bag, if you still have it, and jog on.
Type b) players: Learn the weak spots of your base, rebuild, and hope your online next time they come so that you can defend yourself.
Type c) players: Find a naked, take over their base and relocate. It is very important that you wait for the poor naked to come back to the base and beg for some of their gear back, make sure you only reply with "Why so salty" before giving some gear back, and then proceeding to kill them.
Type d) players: This is what stirs your coffee! Call your boi's and start recording! It's time to make a counter raid video!

-The end:

Regardless of the server you choose, one thing is certain. All maps will eventually wipe. All your hard work, all the times you've laughed, you've cried, it all gets wiped like the blackboard of your maths class. What was it all for? What did you learn? Was it worth it? Will I ever use that knowledge in the future?

In short. No.

There is only a brief moment in time when you will be on top, or at the bottom, depending on your preference.
One thing is for certain though, whatever you choose, it feels GOOOOOOOOD.
I can best sum it up as a heroin rush, followed by addiction and hatred for yourself and your life choices.
>>
>>385510110
basically a bunch of people are trying to replicate the success of minecraft by copying minecrafts mechanics. Some of them are decent but 90% are fucking shit
>>
Post your top 5 completed open world sandbox survival
>>
>>385511453
SWG

:^)
>>
They're a development response to the dying MMO cashgrab scene.

After so many WOW clones crashed and burned in the past 5 or so years, no one will give these people money, so they've had to downsize their ideas or get another EQN on their hands.

In fact EQN is a prime example of what happened, EQN development took too long because it was an MMO not a psudo-MMO, thus needs more work, and in that time they made h1z1 with likely half the budget, and h1z1 is more sucessful so they canned MMO development indefinately at SOE/daybreak
>>
Terraria is the only one worth playing
>>
>>385510110
Man, I put so many hours into Ark when /vg/ had /arkg/. Someone ran a locked server so we didn't have to worry about the yellow menace like the public servers. Shame it fell apart, alpha Dino's added some actual threat to my perfect kibble tamed Rex. But I never understood why the Chinese played Ark so feverishly, there was no gold to sell for food.
>>
Every single one of them is cheap and ugly. I'm waiting for someone like Ubisoft or Rockstar to come in and show these amateurs how it's done.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvUdwbgkeS3bbLR-ytH9B6w
>>
>>385510110
It scratches the itch for most people because nearly everyone likes to think what would happened if the world ended tomorrow and we had to revert back to the stone age and try to survive. These games allow you to do that, cool idea, shame they are all so shit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.