[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say one nice thing and one mean thing about Link to the Past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: ltthep.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ltthep.png
5KB, 256x224px
Say one nice thing and one mean thing about Link to the Past
>>
>>385497646
It revolutionized zelda and its genre
It's aged like horseshit now that most zelda games directly improve on everything it did
>>
Lots to explore and find.
Finding the Ocarina is tedious the first time.
>>
wide variety of dungeons and relative nonlinearity when you get to the dark world is awesome
having both the magic cape and that invincibility staff is stupid and wastes a slot that could have been used for something better
>>
>>385497646
It's genuinely fun and still is to this day.
Pink haired Link is stupid.
>>
>>385497939
pink hair link is the only reason to allow this zelda into the canon, noob
>>
Nice art.
Two item limit even though there's four face buttons. I don't even remember what the other two buttons were for.
>>
>>385497646
It's great and remains one of the best in the series.

Some of the bosses are a bit underwhelming, though.
>>385497737
>It's aged like horseshit
Nah. Dungeon design arguably got more interesting with respect to puzzle solving in LA, but in terms of overall level design and pacing ALttP is still king in my opinion.
>>
Music was amazing.
Didn't like the weak range of the sword or how he swings it instead of stabbing like in Zelda 1.
>>
>>385497646
Bad: Too many rupees
Good: 11 dungeons plus Castle Hyrule. Most Zelda dungeons ever.
>>
>>385497737
>It revolutionized zelda
Fucking how?
>>
>>385497646
Good: Its the best Zelda
Bad: Its not as non linear as the first nor are the puzzles as good as later games.
>>
>>385497646
It's one of the most beautifully executed in all ways, best games of all time. It's the best Zelda game and the N64 ones pale BADLY in comparison.

There should have been something to do in the church like respawning pots or some kind of enemy or something, because I always felt drawn to go in again.
>>
>>385498942

Idiots think LttP set up everything Ocarina of Time did while retroactively influencing Zelda 1.
>>
>>385497646
too old looks terrible won't play it
>>
>>385497646
nice: It looks gorgeous and it's a comfy as fuck game
mean: it's boringly linear.
>>
It's very long without going overboard and features many nice secrets that reward good exploration.
Why the fuck is his hair pink. I don't mind small redesigns, especially on generational characters like Link, but pink? Not only is it an unnatural hair color, but it's also fucking jarring when coupled with his traditional green outfit. If they wanted some stupid wacky color that wasn't brown or blonde, they could've used purple or something. Pink literally just looks bad and clashes with not only Link, but the general soft color scheme of the game itself.
>>
>>385499271
it kinda did set up everything ocarina of time did, it set up the whole "find item in dungeon > use item to solve puzzles in dungeon > use it to kill boss" formula that zelda is known for along with the idea of using these items in the overworld to unlock secrets or find items
zelda 1 had a tiny but of that but it was limited to just bombing rocks, burning bushes, the raft that you barely use and the flute that you need to enter that one dungeon (most of which is complete guesswork if you didn't play the game when it was released and owned the manual)

i like to compare lttp to super metroid in that they both evolved and improved game mechanics from previous games while adding a lot of new things and setting the standard for games in the future
>>
Secret of Mana was the better game.
>>
fantastic art
gay hair
>>
>>385499348
>linear
You can say that about any zelda game that came after it though.
The bad thing should be that it just straight up marks where every dungeon is on your map.
>>
people saying pink hair are baiting right? I've never heard of this meme before
>>
So why is his hair pink?
>>
>>385497646
Great exploration.
Bosses are too easy.
>>
>>385501314
>You can say that about any zelda game that came after it though.

yeah and if I had to say one mean thing about those games, that'd be it too. If anything I'm being lenient on aLttP because I should be saying "it ruined all later games that copied it's linear structure thinking that's what made it good"
>>
>>385497646
Great dungeons and cool bosses.

Took me ages to figure out how to get that fucking book off the top of the bookcase and had no way of finding out when I was like 5
>>
>>385501538
>>385499348
Only the first couple dungeons have to be done in order, most dark world dungeons can be done out of order, so you can blame ALTTP for starting the linear start, but its not its fault every Zelda game after forgot the part about opening up the world and become non linear at some point.
Zelda 2 actually is the first strictly linear Zelda but people sometimes forget it even exists
>>
File: zeldaboobsd.jpg (399KB, 1120x630px) Image search: [Google]
zeldaboobsd.jpg
399KB, 1120x630px
>>385499348

>linear
But you can do stuff out of order. Not as open as Zelda 1 or BotW, but then no other Zelda games are.
>>
Cool game
Graphics could be better
>>
>>385502132
>Not as open as Zelda 1 or BotW, but then no other Zelda games are.

Yeah that's mostly the complaint and the reason why BotW was seen as such a good game, it was a return to form. Zelda is supposed to be about exploration. 1 was pure exploration and 2 had a world map so it FELT like exploration. 3 was pretty linear and then after that it all sorta went to shit ending up in the critically panned SS, which is why they actually fucking listened for once and realised we all wanted exploration and non linear shit, hence BotW.
>>
>>385497646
>good
best dungeons I've ever played
>bad
shitty old graphics
>>
>>385502132
ALBW is mostly non linear, and OOT has a few different dungeon orders.
>>
>>385497646
It's a legitimatly stylish game with great use of color and design.

It will never again be recoginized as great as it is, since OoT autists are determined to screeech louder than everyone else.
>>
>>385497646
best music.
the bunny link easter egg is the worst.
>>
i enjoyed the sound effects in this game. the sound of hitting an enemy with your sword, the sound of swinging the tempered sword, the sound of flattening a wooden stake with your hammer. all of those sounds will stick with me until i die
>>
>>385497646
>Compliment
Gives the feeling of a great adventure!
>insult
This is all your fault, everything. This whole cultural breakdown can be pinpointed to the release of this game.
>>
>>385499081
I remember when linear was a bad thing. Fucking neo-/v/ faggots.
>>
>>385497737
>It's aged like horseshit now that most zelda games directly improve on everything it did
lmao
>>
>>385502613
>I remember when linear was a bad thing. Fucking neo-/v/ faggots.
Linear games are the best, I hate this linear is bad meme
>>
>>385502507
>>This is all your fault, everything. This whole cultural breakdown can be pinpointed to the release of this game.

How so? I'd love to hear you try to explain your way out of this one.
>>
>>385497737
>Play ALTTP
>Enemies wanting to rape my ass at every corner
>Play BotW
>There aren't even enemies, just some monster dudes who get agitated if you get in their business and lose interest as soon as you show that you're leaving

I mean I guess it's an improvement, if you subscribe to the School of Sean Murray.
>>
>>385498125
Pegasus boots and picking things up
>>
File: 1443239880986.png (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1443239880986.png
137KB, 500x500px
>>385502301

I fully agree with you. But sadly, since 20 of the 30 years of Zelda as a series has been dominated by linear, story focused games, most people think that's how Zelda is suppose to be. I hope BotW changes this and ushers in a new decade of actual exploration focused games.

>>385502345

Yeah. Probably why those are my favorite games along with Zelda 1, Link's Awakening and BotW. I was the odd kid who didn't like LttP as much as Zelda 1 back in the SNES days, when everyone and their mom was saying LttP was the better game. I still like LttP a lot, but just not as much as 1, 2, LA or OoT. But it still has an open overworld and lets you find stuff at your own pace, unlike what the series turned into after Ocarina of Time.

I also am proud to say I actually enjoy Link Between Worlds more than LttP. The game really surprised me.
>>
>>385498125

Running and action buttons. But LttP could have utilized the R and L button better. Or has a select menu.
>>
>>385497737
strong contender for worst "opinion" i've ever read on 4chan
>>
>>385497737
No
>>
File: IMG_9048.jpg (191KB, 979x1069px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9048.jpg
191KB, 979x1069px
Why can't LoZ have decent combat, exploration, and an original story?
Just asking. I mean supposedly EPD is some godsend among developers, but all I'm seeing is 15 year olds puzzles and a lifeless, loreless world with some dated combat thrown in every once in awhile.

I mean fuck, you guys want Zelda 1? That game was actually somewhat difficult. Exploration was punishing, and when you actually got somewhere it was an achievement. BotW lets you go anywhere and do anything from the word go, and backs it up with absolutely nothing but crappy visuals and tedium. See that mountain? You can climb it. Right now. It's not hard, just press A and watch Link climb it for 5 minutes. Enjoy your shallow nothing at the top.
>>
>>385497646
It has an awesome final dungeon

Forcing you to start from Link's house, etc. was kinda stupid
>>
>>385503191
>and backs it up with absolutely nothing but crappy visuals and tedium.
I don't think you even know what you're trying to say at this point.
>>
File: 2817-cover.jpg (158KB, 620x554px) Image search: [Google]
2817-cover.jpg
158KB, 620x554px
Is this any good?
>>
>>385497646
its the best zelda game
too easy, not as bad as nu zelda though
>>
>>385502751
Dude, enemies in ALTTP can stop noticing you RIGHT AS YOURE ATTACKING THEM. Don't pull that shit.
>>
>>385503485
Yeah
>>
>>385503470
Maybe you can help me then.
>>
File: 1477529069234.png (198KB, 472x447px) Image search: [Google]
1477529069234.png
198KB, 472x447px
>>385503191

>I mean fuck, you guys want Zelda 1?
I've wanted every Zelda game to be Zelda 1 since the first sequel came out. However, while BotW isn't exactly that, it's still a really good throwback to it. They could have more actual dungeons and more difficulty in combat, but what you say here:

>BotW lets you go anywhere and do anything from the word go, and backs it up with absolutely nothing but crappy visuals and tedium. See that mountain? You can climb it. Right now. It's not hard, just press A and watch Link climb it for 5 minutes. Enjoy your shallow nothing at the top.

is really unfair. See that mountain? You can climb it. You'll have to eat a ton of pepper steak to keep yourself warm and run like hell through it or find better gear to keep yourself warm while sacrificing movement speed, agility and strength. Also the enemies on the mountains are a little harder, just like in Zelda 1. BotW is not as bland and limited as you're making it out to be. Is it the perfect Zelda game I want? No. But it's better than anything in 20 years and WAY better than I thought the Zelda team could do. Going from Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild is almost as crazy as going from Link's Awakening to Ocarina of Time. In some ways, even moreso.
>>
>>385497646
The music and audio, like the rain sound effects with the music.
>>
>>385497737
ALTTP is the Zelda that shows its age the least out of all entries and this post made me legitimately angry. Good job.
>>
Did anyone else try Ancient Stone Tablets? It had better puzzles and better use of certain items and mechanics, but the linear dungeons and gated world really detracted from the experience.

If LTTP had AST's puzzles and such it probably would be the best Zelda.
>>
Only criticism is there's not enough punishment for not preparing. The only time you really get burned is not having the ice rod for trinexx, or maybe a magic potion. The cape and cane of Somaria are fun but I wish they wove them into more puzzles later.

Best thing? The opening intro/crawl music/rainstorm music. I was crushed when that didn't start playing during the massive storms in botw.
>>
>>385503928

I'm hoping they compile that into a real game at some point and release it. With star fox 2 and similar things I have hope they're moving down that road.
>>
>>385497646
Great game that essentially turned Zelda into a powerhouse of a franchise. People shit on the "Zelda formula" but there's a reason it's had such staying power. The problem isn't the formula itself but all the stuff that Nintendo tends to shove on top of it. BotW threw the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion.

The dungeons are a bit samey thematically. There's a few standouts but a lot of them blend together. Though it's obviously an improvement on LoZ.
>>
>>385497737
>having opinions for things you've never played the post
>>
>>385497646
Good: Sweet ass ending theme
Bad: The Ice Palace is one of the worst, most unfun dungeons ever. I'd rather do the Great Palace in Zelda 2 because at least there aren't shitty ice physics there
>>
>>385504173

>Great game that essentially turned Zelda into a powerhouse of a franchise.
The first game did that. LttP was actually the lowest selling Zelda game until Majora's Mask came out.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>385504579
These fucking stairs
>>
>>385497646
The story is strangely entertaining
I REALLY hate starting off at my house or some random fucking cave if I die
>>
>>385505297
>>385504579
I liked the ice palace, it was cozy.
>>
>>385505319
The early zeldas still have the coolest stories. They're very classic fantasy before Zelda got very Nintendo-y with OoT. The story in the manual for Zelda 2 is really fucking cool.
>>
>>385505297
Just Pegasus Boot Dash down them. Doesn't change the fact that that dungeon has some of the worst ice physics ever, and sometimes forces you to leave and enter the same room 3 times just to progress
>>
>>385505567
>and sometimes forces you to leave and enter the same room 3 times just to progress
>He doesn't sequence break and get the Cane of Ebola before doing the Ice Palace
>>
it's the greatest game ever made
too many eye themed bosses
>>
>>385505845
I liked lttps bosses. I always imagined manual art of them looking horrific. Giant fucked up eyeballs, like castlevania monsters or something. Plus some other awesome ones like blind and helmasaur king. Before zelda went all Pixar on its designs.
>>
>>385497646
It's the only Zelda game I actually like.
The boss music is still shit.
>>
>>385497646
It's better than Zelda and Zelda 2.
It's worse that Links Awakening.
>>
>>385497646
Almost as good as the original.
Level 7 on the dark world was filler making the game 9.7-9.9/10 instead of a objective 10/10.
>>
>>385497646
Music was fantastic. I have nothing mean to say.
>>
>>385499326
maximum trolling
>>
>great plot n great gameplay
>shit bosses
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.