[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

File: H2x1_NSwitch_Arms.jpg (736KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
H2x1_NSwitch_Arms.jpg
736KB, 2000x1000px
>Got released with massive hype
>Sold more than 1M units
>"Revolutionizing the FG genre, it's totally gonna be the next hottest e-sport!"
>"Nothing short of a GOTY material we have here."
>"A stroke of genius from Nintendo, as usual."
>A month later...
>Switch owners all pretend it never happened and move on to Splatoon 2.
>>
File: Twintelle.jpg (168KB, 1200x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Twintelle.jpg
168KB, 1200x1196px
Lack of Content.
>>
>>385495982
There isn't much, it was just really biding time until Splatoon 2 got released.
>>
It's boring as fuck
>>
>>385495982
>>"Revolutionizing the FG genre, it's totally gonna be the next hottest e-sport!"
>>"Nothing short of a GOTY material we have here."
>>"A stroke of genius from Nintendo, as usual."
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>385495982
Dont kid yourself, it was always meant to be something to kill time until Splatoon 2 came out
>>
>>385495982
still got like 100 hours out of it. but yeah splatoon was my reason for buying a switch anyway. i hope my boy spring man joins the next smash
>>
>>385495982
Its a boring game, not much to add here

People only got it because Switch literally only had Zelda and Mario Kart ports to play before that point. It's kind of like when the early 3DS recommendation lists had shit like Pilotwings Resort and Steeldiver as some of the recommended games since these were the only original games you could play on the system before it took off. Nowadays no one even remembers they exist anymore. I suppose the same is going to happen to Arms a few years down the line.
>>
I want it, but not at full price.
>>
>>385496170
Nintenbros shortly before Arms came out and got promptly exposed for its lack of content and polish
>>
>>385495982

>A month later

>Ignoring the million sales

/vg/ has a thread for it that never dies
>>
>>385496750
There's no arms thread on /vg/
>>
>>385495982
It's a shit game that idiots bought for waifu pandering and quit cause it has no content and is underage Wahoo! shit.
Just like Overwatch
>>
File: Steel.png (401KB, 1172x768px) Image search: [Google]
Steel.png
401KB, 1172x768px
>>385496381
The F2P iteration of Steeldiver I recall at least got flavor of the week. Too bad the lack of communities killed it apart from people using the game as a homebrew entrypoint.
>>
The general consensus among Switch owners during its release was the game was extremely fun, comfy and quirky.

And yet it silently faded into obscurity as soon as Splatoon 2 was released, despite Nintendo's attempt to reignite some interests with the free Max Brass DLC (which got lukewarm reception from players). Is the game destined to be blunder from the get-go due to Splatoon 2?
>>
File: 29365882.jpg (136KB, 410x390px) Image search: [Google]
29365882.jpg
136KB, 410x390px
Nothing went wrong, normies have their Wii Sports+ back.
>>
>>385495982
Lacks content, not that much depth. Not much else to say.
>>
>>385497575
Well yeah, it only had a month.

I've never played Splatoon before, is it worth it
>>
The problem is Splatoon fills the exact gap ARMS was already filling. A multiplayer focused game with an odd take on established genres.

They're both fun looking, quirky, and have unique gameplay. Problem is, ARMS is almost strictly multiplayer. The singleplayer content is pretty barebones and the AI is brutal, while Splatoon has an easy to get into singleplayer campaign and multiple easy to play multiplayer games.

Not to mention the basic gameplay of ARMS is pretty rough. It feels like luck half the time. It's really cool in local multiplayer, but it doesn't give you that "One more game" feel when playing online. Splatoon's games are quick and to the point, not to mention the wide variety of weapons and customization for your squids.

In the end, there's just more reason to come back to Splatoon. ARMS is lacking in quite a few departments. Getting new arm types should be a bit more streamlined and perhaps they needed maybe even more gimmicky arm weapons.
>>
>bought Arms and Splatoon 2
>played Arms for half an hour
>played Splatoon 2 for 5 hours and counting
holy shit I have buyer's remorse bad on Arms. feels like I'm constantly fighting the controllers to do what I want. I don't know why they made a fighting game where the only differences between fighters were attributes and size. Splatoon 2 on the other hand feels slick as hell and has 3 modes worth playing that feel like they could be their own thing (Salmon Run, singeplayer and versus multiplayer)
>>
>>385499063
>the only differences between fighters were attributes and size.

So in other words you want a fighter with inputs?

Why not just play that instead?

This game is nearly pure fundamentals alongside character skill knowledge, map knowledge and arms knowledge.
>>
>>385495982
I'm waiting for a price drop, personally. Can't justify £40 when I'm positive I'll not get the longevity I get from Splatoon and such
>>
>>385496565
Post threads
>>
>>385499779
>pure fundamentals
This is what I like about it, it's straight rock paper scissors prediction, you can fight on instinct without memorizing inputs and combos.
>>
It's boring as fuck.
>>
>>385497575
Max Brass came out before Splatoon was released, and his reception has been good. The game really needs more characters though.
>>
The problem is the game gets less fun the better you get at it. The game doesn't award cleverness or aggression. It awards standing back, using your blocks and dodges and only once you're pretty certain you can hit, throwing a punch.
>>
I hope it never gets a sequel and is remembered as the glorified tech demo it is. Fuck Yabuki.
>>
File: 2vQxZ.png (485KB, 1256x908px) Image search: [Google]
2vQxZ.png
485KB, 1256x908px
Not sure where this nonsense of ARMS being poorly received is coming from it has more and better, verified owner reviews than Splatoon does on Amazon US
>>
I was excited for Arms, bought it, enjoyed it for what it was, and don't play it anymore. I never said any of the stuff in your OP there though, but I did hope it would have legs. There just isn't enough content to the game, boring casual players, and defensive play is too strong, boring competitive players.

Anyone who thought this had the potential to be the next Splatoon overlooked the fundamental fact that shooters are more innately popular than fighting games. Arms was going to have an uphill struggle no matter what because the FGC was never going to fully accept it because of how different it is (not that being different is actually the problem with the game, there are plenty of real reasons to lose interest in it), and Nintendo was never going to be able to provide adequate support for a thriving scene on their own. Smash is able to succeed despite weakening the competitive elements because it's a crossover supershow, and Sakurai likes to pack his games FULL of shit to do, even if it's stupid shit. There isn't anything to DO in Arms once you feel like you've figured the mechanics out and put them into practice a few times, because the mechanical core is unfortunately too weak to hold the game up by itself.

Their plan to entice players with a Splatoon-style update schedule failed because the first character they announced was not particularly exciting, and because of the mechanics of the game, a character itself doesn't actually bring much to the table. Individual arms as well, the statistical and functional differences between them are vastly shallower than new weapons in Splatoon. New stages in a fighting game and a shooter are also worlds apart in significance.

I want Arms to have a future despite the myriad problems with the game, but I think fixing the core problems involves changing the game so much that it doesn't even resemble what it was trying to be.
>>
>>385502382
Clearly casual that bought the game really enjoyed it which is why it sold so much. it'll continue selling.
>>
>>385502016
It absolutely awards aggression, in close quarters it becomes harder to predict and react, and stop grabs. Throwing punches even when you know they'll miss or just to keep pressure on is a tactic too since it builds your rush.
>>
>>385495982
Arms was a filler game. People played it because once you finished BOTW there were ZERO other things to play on the Switch.
But now there's Splatoon so people don't have to pretend to give a shit anymore.
>>
>>385495982
>>"Revolutionizing the FG genre, it's totally gonna be the next hottest e-sport!"
>>"Nothing short of a GOTY material we have here."
Ah yeah I'm sure people with actual names said these things.
>>
>>385499063
>feels like I'm constantly fighting the controllers to do what I want.
then just use standard controls
>>
>>385502456
Your opponents are idiots if you're winning by rushing them. You're just leaving yourself 20 kinds of open to attacks.
>>
File: arms flop.webm (3MB, 640x248px) Image search: [Google]
arms flop.webm
3MB, 640x248px
>>
File: 1500826711428.png (1MB, 810x794px) Image search: [Google]
1500826711428.png
1MB, 810x794px
>>385495982
Needed a fleshed out story mode for each character. While they're visually amazing each characters back story and personality is non existent beyond a fucking Japanese twitter account.
Also let the user use the right stick for movement and left arm aiming, right stick for right arm aiming. Also rebind block to L.
Finally give the players more fucking coins, the arms dropping system is a grind.
The game does ask you to sign up for online events and that could save the game in its own right. If the events don't suck.
>>
Well for one there's no content. And two there's no stuff to keep normalfags interested in it (likes lootboxes full of shit after winning games). They should've took the Overwatch approach to it.

Also just to add, Splatoon 2 and ARMS can co-exist, they contrast each other pretty well. No need to compare them.
>>
>>385502693
Only if you use rush immediately after getting it and just punch like crazy when you do
>>
>has basically fuck all casual single player content
>doesn't have enough competitive depth to sustain a mp scene

who would have thought?

Should have waited for Pokken DX, at least Pokken has already proved itself to have the latter even if like ARMS it has fuck all for single player content
>>
>>385502747
You know the rules.
>>
>>385502693
I'm the idiot in this scenario actually, I prefer ranged fights and when some asshole Ribbon Girl or Ninjara crowds up close using two fast arms and jump grabs it pisses me the fuck off.
>>
>>385495982
what do you mean op, I played it today, had zero issues finding players.
>>
>>385500821
The problem is that your evasive options are too strong and fuck that up. The rock paper scissors of a fighting game are attack, throw, and block. You can do all of those things in Arms, but why would I EVER block an attack when I can dodge it? In traditional fighting games, to get good hits in you need to be in close, and because they're usually on a 2D plane and your mobility is restricted, dodging is not free. In many cases there is no dedicated dodging option, just walking backwards or jumping, so you block attacks. Dodging is free in Arms. You can dodge anything unless you've done something that forces you to sit still. The act of dodging does not come with ANY downside or punishability at all, and in fact, you are rewarded for it with a charged punch. I can charge by blocking, but why? I can also charge by dodging or jumping and those don't leave me open.

Most characters' personal gimmicks revolve around their ability to circumvent rock-paper-scissors, Spring Man can deflect off of his dodge, Ribbon Girl can jump several times to avoid what little opportunity you have to catch someone vulnerable in the air and even shoot back down so she has full control over it. Ninjara has teleports. Minmin has a parry activated by dodging and can dragon charge her arm with dodges and jumps as well. Kid Cobra can dodge or jump to charge and in doing so, is awarded even more powerful dodges. Byte & Barq can jump incredibly high, and bouncing off of Barq deflects attacks. Helix is all about being able to slip by attacks. Mechanica has a hover that lets her continuously move while max charging her arms. Twintelle slows down incoming arms when charging arms every way BESIDES her guard. So again, Why would I block? If people aren't going to block, why would I grab? Grabs in this game are used to punish bad ATTACKS because they have the highest burst damage, every other attack does less damage and resets the situation to neutral. That isn't rock paper scissors.
>>
>>385495982
A month? Try a week. Arms threads started dying at 15 posts within 4 days of realease.
>>
File: 1500965398633.gif (798KB, 600x505px) Image search: [Google]
1500965398633.gif
798KB, 600x505px
>>385502972
>played against a Min-min
>used a charged stun chakram
>would scoot into my face
>hit me with the charm into agrab while I was stunned
>can't dodge/jump because her arms too fucking big
>can't win the punch trading because she just jumps and grabs

Shit made my blood boil, and I'll never fight him again so I'll never learn how to beat the fucker.
>>
>>385496565
>>385500018
The only thing he'll post is wojaks.
>>
>>385503129
Dodging leaves you open when you become too predictaburu, as soon as you work out which way the Ninjara will go then they're done, so dodging can still be punished with arms, apart from Ribbon girl's double jumps because you can't curve punches upwards
>>
>>385495982
It's a good game that was overshadowed by splatoon. Simple
>>
>>385503285
No, it doesn't. There is no downtime after a dodge that leaves you open for an attack unless you personally make a mistake in thinking you can hold it a bit more for a longer charge and eat shit for it. You can dodge as much as you want because arms do not move fast enough to catch anybody but the biggest, slowest characters doing anything, because the game is largely played at range. The reason the higher levels of AI are so frustrating to fight is BECAUSE they play reactively. They can react faster than a person and punish you for more things, but you're still getting a taste of what the upper echelon of Arms play is: waiting until the other person becomes frustrated enough to try something dumb, and punish them for it. You may get some stray hits in aside from that with good curving, but fights between equally matched players run the clock down and end up decided by health remaining far more often than knockouts, because the only way to play well is to cautiously wait and see.
>>
>>385503129
You block to take advantage of the counter dash after blocking. You take advantage of this when you predict an obvious punch. That said I don't block much because I prefer quick characters and dodging like you explained, but I've fought some real zen sons of bitches who utilized blocking perfectly.
>>
>>385502398
>a competitive game can only be considered successful if FGC/esports community embraces it

I guess 1 million sales in 2 weeks isn't very impressive then, considering it's only on 1 platform and a new IP.
>>
>>385496909
but muh
>competitive scene
>>
>>385503564
That isn't what I said. I said that with mainstream fighting game culture rejecting it, AND because I didn't think Nintendo could support it themselves (not because they're not big enough, but because they're fucking stupid about this sort of thing, other companies could do it), it would have an uphill battle. It doesn't take rocket science to see that if your fighting game doesn't appeal to a bunch of people who live for fighting games then it will have a harder time finding an audience than games that do appeal to them. In my ideal world where Arms actually had a lot of competitive potential and succeeding in growing a dedicated scene, I KNOW it would do it without the FGC because they would turn their nose up at it because it's too different anyway.

How well it sold doesn't matter at all when we're talking about the quality and longevity of the game. I bought Arms and don't regret it because it was an interesting idea.
>>
>>385503875
>How well it sold doesn't matter at all when we're talking about the quality and longevity of the game.

By the very definition, that it sold so well as a new IP in a niche genre is a pretty clear indicator that it stands out from other fighters in the genre who can barely break the 7 digits (most anime fighters).

It's also been confirmed for EVO Japan and Nintendo will likely have other tournaments (as they've had before the game's launch) to continue to advertise for the game.

In fact they even made a new commercial for the game post-release, so it's clear they're giving it as much attention as it can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRJcqG1Rug
>>
>>385503494
I mean if you can accurately predict where they're going then you can aim a punch there early,

>>385503875
>Forfighting game to last it needs either Melee autists, FGC community approval, or endless DLC costumes like DoA
Worst timeline
>>
>>385495982
Just bevause /v/ doesn't talk about it doesn't mean is a dead game.
>>
Because Nintendo love to roll dice.

They have this problem of constantly wanting to redefine and revolutionize genres. And sometimes, it works. Splatoon and Botw are evidence of that. But, when it's off, it's far off. It leads to something that's so disconnected from it's intended genre that it doesn't appeal to that audience, and gets stuck in limbo between it and something else.
>>
>>385504016
EVO Japan is a separate event and a completely different scene, I don't claim to know anything about how they respond to unique games. There are all sorts of reasons a new game can sell well, that doesn't necessarily indicate it will maintain a dedicated playerbase, having an interesting premise is enough to sell a game, but it doesn't always keep people coming. Like I said, I bought it for the same reason. I don't play it anymore, but that's purely anecdotal from me. I know how well the game sold.

>>385504056
I'm not sure what you expect out of multiplayer scenes if the idea that a competitive game needs people who want to play the game to last is so disgusting.
>>
File: ----.png (235KB, 304x302px) Image search: [Google]
----.png
235KB, 304x302px
>>385503875
>How well it sold doesn't matter at all when we're talking about the quality and longevity of the game
It obviously does, you delusional retard. If a game doesn't sell well then it doesn't have longevity at all. ARMS is a successful new franchise and if Nintendo keeps making them depends entirely on the team if they like the franchise enough. What's truly great about ARMS is really that Nintendo is experimenting again. BotW, SMO, Splatoon, ARMS, all these are going in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I love their old franchises but I also want new ones like Splatoon. This entire thread is just filled with pointless shitposting and bored trolls who doesn't have anything better to do.
>>
File: mental illness.jpg (662KB, 1564x2048px) Image search: [Google]
mental illness.jpg
662KB, 1564x2048px
ohhhh look who's here again
>>
>>385502398
Good read. Thanks.
>>
File: 1349217226441.jpg (42KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
1349217226441.jpg
42KB, 720x439px
>>385495982
>1 million
>Only 5 million Switch sold
>1 out of 5 people own the game
>>
>>385505213
it's a shitposting thread, anon. ignore and move on
>>
>>385495982
>>Switch owners all pretend it never happened and move on to Splatoon 2.

Splatoon 2 has only been out a week so of course people are playing that more than anything else. There is only so much you can talk about with ARMS anyway, but that doesn't mean people have stopped playing it or paying attention to it.

Splatoon has the benefit of having lots of lore to talk about, characters you really get to know and want to talk about, special events to keep it on people's minds, on top of the updates which they're able to have smaller ones too like just a weapon.

ARMS on the other hand has a lot of lore, but it's not in the game so it kind of goes unnoticed and since the updates are huge things like characters and new game modes, it's going to be less frequent. So there's just not a lot to talk about outside of the new updates.
>>
>>385505338
>>385504652
>>
>>385495982
soon they will find out splatoon2 is shit too, devoid of any meaningful content and with a very low skill ceiling, and will move on to the next shit game
>>
>>385504545
>. If a game doesn't sell well then it doesn't have longevity at all.
Every anime game would disagree with that. Even GG and BB sell like shit but have significant scenes, arms has fucking nothing to show for its sales
>>
>>385505670
That's because ARMS is appealing to casuals those aren't.

Large sales are the entire purpose of the game, fgc is entriely secondary.

SFV focused on fgc see how it turned out.
>>
>>385506195
And that means it has no longevity which is what is being talked about. Meanwhile games like Tekken or Injustice 2 who appealed to both have both

Plus this line
> If a game doesn't sell well then it doesn't have longevity at all.
Is still incorrect, even SFV is still going a year after launch while Arms is dead now.
>>
>>385495982
I'm waiting for it to have more stuff. I learned my lesson from MvC3 and SF5
>>
>>385506349
>even SFV is still going a year after launch while Arms is dead now.
>Arms is dead now

But that's wrong.

My anecdotal evidence tells me I can find matches within 30 seconds for ranked and party mode even faster.
>>
>>385506349
SFV is dead as far as sales are concerned. Shipped only 300k extra over a year later with massive discount. ARMS will continuing selling (just see the Japan weekly sales).

FGC doesn't sell games never have.
>>
>>385495982
Its really boring.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.