[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 12

Is it worth it?
>>
File: DOS.png (311KB, 996x390px) Image search: [Google]
DOS.png
311KB, 996x390px
>>385482283
It's shit. The story, quests and roleplaying elements are an absolute joke and the combat is severely overhyped. The main problem with the combat (and I'm talking about tactician difficulty here) is that it's really fucking easy if you just play in a non-retarded way and use the crafting system to its full potential. Somewhere after the 1/3 of the game (Luculla and beyond) the game becomes a snorefest as all encounters drastically lose difficulty due to the power spike your party experiences from levelling and proper use of crafting and you spend hours and hours fighting trash mobs like goblins, spiders and skeletons. The more you progress the more the balance becomes skewed in player's favor and the rest of the game becomes pretty much a joke.

People saying that the combat in this game is "good" are retards, DOS is literally babby's first turn based h&s game difficulty wise.
>>
>>385483567
>goblins, spiders and skeletons
>skeletons
Fuck, I mean orcs.
>>
Pretty boring. I've tried unsuccessfully to play this game on three separate occasions, but the combat is so bland that I dropped it each time. I wanted to like this game but couldn't.
>>
>>385482283

First town is RPG kino and then it gets shittier.

Not bad, but they frontloaded all the good ideas.
>>
>>385483567
t. guy who played singleplayer
>>
>>385482283
yes, if you like turn-based tactical combat, which is the focus of the game. Story, characters and most quests are shit, but combat more than makes up for it
>>
>>385483567
>People saying that the combat in this game is "good" are retards
If it's not "good" it's still better than anything else comparable to it.
>>
It's gotten the best turn-based combat since JA2, so yes. I also enjoyed light-hearted atmospheer and abundant humour, but that's reddit and forbidden on /v/, so don't tell nobody.
>>
>>385486665
>it's still better than anything else comparable to it.
It's not. A relatively recent example I've played is Blackguards. The game may not have the magic system interaction with environment mechanics like DOS does, but it's far more challenging than DOS. And if we compare DOS to turn based tactics games, not just turn based RPGs, there's absolutely no contest.
>>
It has all the classic RPG elements I've come to fervently hate over the years

>Multiple weapon types that you can't use with skills because skills can't crit
>Impossible to make useful hybrid classes because trying to split attributes between Int and Str/Dex means you're terrible at both
>Spellcasters need to dump all their attribute points into intellect to effectively use endgame spells; can't increase speed or perception at all
>Companions are barely a step above faceless create-a-goon's; in fact you'll almost certainly use generic hirelings after finishing their shallow stories in two playthroughs
>Just endless amounts of completely fucking worthless perks that reek of not being designed with any thought of what they contribute to the gameplay

I like the game, and I'm looking forward to the sequel, but restarting the fucking game because you realize your "heal while standing in blood" perk will never actually work because NOTHING in the game causes bleeding is the kind of shit that sours you to a game
>>
>>385486885
The dual dialogues are really funny sometimes. One of my favorite elements of the game honestly.
>>
>>385487334
>Impossible to make useful hybrid classes because trying to split attributes between Int and Str/Dex means you're terrible at both
It's not just that. Hybrid classes are complete trash on Tactician and are completely, UTTERLY FUCKING UNPLAYABLE on Honour Mode, because the resultant skillpoint pool from reaching level 20 allows you to max out 3 skills and dabble (i.e. reach lvl2) in one and, since enemies shit out shitloads of debilitating status effects each turn, you absolutely must max out Willpower and Bodybuilding to gain immunity to status effects (you get bonuses from +willpower/bodybuilding gear that improve these skills past lvl5 and grant actual immunity). This leaves the player with 1 (one) main skill they can max out and one secondary skill to dabble in. Even if you raise Bodybuilding and Willpower to 4 only, you will still be able to max out 2 skills only, which isn't really enough to create a magic-martial multiclass character, only a mage with 2 spell schools.
>>
>>385483567
as usual
fpbp
>>
>>385488278
It's a kinda crap one though that sounds like he played by himself.
>>
>>385488975
>le game is fun with friends meme

Literally anything is fun with friends, but that doesn't make it good.
>>
>>385488975
yeah so?
"but it's fun with friends" doesn't mean shit
literally everything is fun with friends
even with friends the systems design flaws, shit main quest, shit writing and quest design - they're all still present. none of what the guy pointed out goes away just because you invited a friend over.

growing up i used to play the shittiest games with my cousin, but we had fun nonetheless. That just meant the company was good, the game was still shit.
>>
>>385489087
No dual dialogue in solo, plus having to manage 4 characters as opposed to 2 or less changes the nature of the game. So you're wrong.
>>
>>385489206
Doesn't change the fundamental problems with the game. Boring combat and forgettable plot are reasons enough to skip this game. No dual dialogue is enough to save it.
>>
>>385489346
Combat gets much better when you don't have to manage as many characters. It's not even half the slog then. Plot is simple but it's not exceptionally bad among RPGs. You downplay its good aspects too much and clearly only played solo anyway.
>>
>>385489513
What good aspects are those? So far the only defense you've manged is "it's fun with friends" which is true of even the shittiest games.
>>
>>385489513
"managing combat" has never been a problem for me
I've played through PoE twice, a game with 6 characters and shit tons of trash mobs to slog through.
>>
>>385489513
>Combat gets much better when you don't have to manage as many characters.
Wrong. Unless you are playing with a friend who is a psychic or use VOIP software, the ability to effectively set up skill combos drops drastically, compared to when you're playing solo, so the tactical depth of the game decreases. Playing in a non-optimal manner does not make the combat "better".
>>
>>385489656
Fun combat (in multiplayer)
Fun dialog options
Fun side quests (I liked a lot of them)
Good RPG system overall, a solid draft for sequels especially since it puts some emphasis on interaction with other players and building your character through that interaction

On my playthrough a lot of funny shit happened. I found the system overall pretty open in terms of what scenarios could unfold. I really don't see the problem with it, it's like a solid 8/10 to me.
>>
>>385490001
>fun
Not an argument.

>Good RPG system
Witch Charisma being the only skill affecting anything outside of combat? Nigger, please.
>>
>>385489723
It's not a matter of it being a "problem" you tard. Managing more characters like that tilts the game towards strategy rather than RPG.

>>385489961
It's a turn based game, you have all the time to come up with combos together. Why the fuck aren't you using mic to communicate anyway?
>>
>>385487334
>"heal while standing in blood" perk will never actually work because NOTHING in the game causes bleeding
You mean apart from everything? Plus, there's a skill that causes multiple bleedings, that you can use to heal your dudes. Plus, you can respec your characters later in the game.
Git gud
>>
>>385490121
>you have all the time to come up with combos together
Which takes a shitload of time if you try to type it out in chat, provided your friend even listens to you, since he also has his opinions on how to play the game and what skills to use. Again, playing in a non-optimal manner does not make the combat "good". Only full control of the party allows you to use the combat system to its full potential, which isn't that great in the first place.

>>385490142
Not him, but Leech is absolute trash in EE. You have to actually move through the blood to heal yourself and you can heal only once per turn in this fashion, IIRC.
>>
>>385490416
>Which takes a shitload of time if you try to type it out in chat
lol, not the game's fucking problem. Get a mic.
>>
>>385490508
Again, explain to me, how exactly does playing with a friend make the combat system "good" or simply better? Even with VOIP the time you spend on communicating to set up skill combos is greater than the time spent on executing those skill combos yourself by having full control of the party, so playing with a friend actually turns the game into an even bigger slog.
>>
>Not in the mood for cheese? That excuse has more holes than a slice of this fine Gorgombert!
>>
>>385490102
>fun
>Not an argument.
>Which takes a shitload of time if you try to type it out in chat, provided your friend even listens to you, since he also has his opinions on how to play the game and what skills to use.
i'm not even trying to insult you but you sound like you're either autistic or spent way too much time on your own.
>>
>>385491067
>not trying to insult you, but I'm going to anyway
Just admit the only redeeming feature of the game is multiplayer and the game is otherwise mediocre at best already so we can get on with our lives.
>>
>>385491067
>fun
>Not an argument.
Subjective opinions are arguments not even worth considering, that's why it's not an argument. If you can't prove that your view is right (and you can't, unless your view is based on objective facts), any sort of argument you get involved in is just a waste of air.
>>
>>385491230
neither of those are actual insults if you look past the social stigma. i'm not even the anon who is arguing with you.
>>
>>385490792
>Again, explain to me, how exactly does playing with a friend make the combat system "good" or simply better?
See >>385489513 and >>385490121

>Even with VOIP the time you spend on communicating to set up skill combos is greater than the time spent on executing those skill combos yourself by having full control of the party, so playing with a friend actually turns the game into an even bigger slog.
So you're antisocial. Well sorry, there is no way I will ever get through to you on this then. You would prefer to sift through several inventories and stat pages by yourself instead of delegate this to others, manage less of the boring numbers, and have more time to pay attention to and interact with the game world, not to mention explore shit in the game with other real people. I mean yeah, who gives a shit about it then if you're on your own, experimenting with the elemental combos early game has less or no interesting quality then if you have no one else to share it with, or following the dialogue, or proceeding through the different maps.
>>
>>385491383
Nigger, calling someone a friendless autist is something you see a dozen times an hour on /v/. Don't pretend this is anything but an insult.
>>
>>385491332
The first post said nothing better.

>it's shit
>it's an absolute joke
>it's overhyped
>it's easy if you aren't dumb and also know the crafting meta

Following the conversation to say the game is fun as a positive is a perfectly fitting response.
>>
>>385484514
This is correct. I thought I was playing another Planescape before the game took a nosedive. Don't expect to finish this one.
>>
>>385491657
>Don't pretend this is anything but an insult.
if you see it that way...
>>
>>385491519
I've read both of those posts and have already explained why they're wrong.

>Combat gets much better when you don't have to manage as many characters. It's not even half the slog then.
Wrong. Executing skill combos yourself is much faster than in any sort of coop play, regardless of whether you use a mic or not.

>you have all the time to come up with combos together.
Why would I want to turn the game into an even bigger slog when its filled with non-challenging encounters? I just want to kill trash mobs fast and enjoy the few good fights the game has to offer.

>So you're antisocial.
This has nothing to do with anything I've said. Communicating with another person to set up skill combos takes more time than just doing it yourself, why would I want to play coop and spend even more time on killing trash?

>You would prefer to sift through several inventories and stat pages by yourself
If this takes less time overall, of course I would.

The rest of your post doesn't even make sense. Are you saying the game gets better in coop, because you have to devote less attention and put less effort into gameplay? What kind of fucked up reasoning is this?
>>
File: surely.jpg (26KB, 517x517px) Image search: [Google]
surely.jpg
26KB, 517x517px
>>385491887
now THIS response is autistic
>>
>>385492056
>This has nothing to do with anything I've said.
It has to do with everything. You're fucking saying that playing with others has no benefit to you because it's faster to just fight things yourself. That is the height of being antisocial. Also makes you pretty autistic since you clearly don't give a damn about anything other than muh stimulating strategy gameplay. Protip, it's supposed to be an RPG.

I'm out.
>>
File: 008.jpg (39KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
39KB, 450x338px
>>385482283
All the complaints in this thread are %100 valid, but its still the best rpg since bg2.
>>
The combat/gameplay is probably the best turn-based combat in an RPG ever. They just got it perfect.

Have to laugh at all the Obsidiots trying to shit on the game for the story, who have clearly never played a Larian game before.
>>
File: NV.jpg (42KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
NV.jpg
42KB, 460x215px
>>385492748
>best rpg since bg2
>implying
>>
>>385493058
Nah, all the 3d fallouts are shit.
>>
kiddynity unoriginal sin is not an rpg game, it's not
It's a co-op console game made with retards in mind
terrible writing, story, circus music, shitty visual direction, bad jokes and kind fun but easy to exploit combat system
>>385492748
>best rpg since bg2.
LOL
>>
>>385493058
You are a moron.
Gameplay before plot every day of the week, and New Vegas's plot isn't even that strong, it's just massively overrated by fat neckbeards like yourself.
>>
>>385493223
>Being autistic
LOL
>>
>>385487334
Did you even unlock the skill? It works just fine and more than half the enemies in the game bleed
>>
File: DivOS.jpg (2MB, 3466x2255px) Image search: [Google]
DivOS.jpg
2MB, 3466x2255px
Its a good and fun game
>>
I like Pillars of Eternity a bit, but it the whole game feels really close like Dragon Age 2 - you don't really explore anything. Also I don't like how influential the backers are in the game. At least it's fun to play with all the abilities you get.
>>
>>385493314
NV's plot isn't the reason why people play it or why the game is good. NV is good, because it has actually good roleplaying, because the way in which you build your character decides which quests and in which ways you can or cannot solve. Compared to NV, DOS is a joke in the roleplaying department due to Charisma being the only skill affecting anything outside of combat.
>>
>>385492056
>I want to spend less time playing a game
>If I can complete a game in less time alone, it's more enjoyable than a longer playthrough with a friend

Whoa buddy, reign in your autism
>>
File: 1398307969571.gif (968KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1398307969571.gif
968KB, 499x374px
>>385493789
To bad scripted immersion is the least important part of any game. People who need ultra graphics at 120 fps and massive dialogue trees to get immersed simply don't have any imagination, to much time in front of the TV and computer melted your brain. Go out side and read a book or draw some stick men on a page I don't know what to suggest, maybe talk to your doctor about it. I feel so bad for people like you, I bet when you close your eyes you see nothing.

I bet you are one of those people who "doesn't get" dwarf fortress.
>>
>>385494284
fuck off to rpg codex you jaded cunt
>>
>>385494083
>people can only enjoy a game if they enjoy it the same way I do

Sounds like you're the one with a severe case of the autisms.
>>
>>385494397
>jaded
Nice projection, I feel genuine sadness for you. I have nothing to be jaded about.
>>
>>385493515

Jesus, that Sleeper guy is a retard.
>>
>>385494673
He could honestly be 11, on the internet no one knows youre a dog.

I used to roll with 20 year olds back in vanilla wow and they never know i was some 13 y/o
>>
I prefer games with mature themes in them. Gems like fnv, motb, poe. The writing in dos is simply too terrible and makes the game unplayable.
Take your ancient evil awakens and end yourself.
>>
File: AAAAAAY.jpg (37KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAY.jpg
37KB, 625x415px
>>385494972
>I like PoEs mature take on atheism
>Im so glade paradox understands that god is not real
>>
>>385494972
wtf is so mature about New Vegas?
>>
>>385495153
PoE gods are real though. They're just manmade souls constructs. I guess it's too much to handle for average joes like you. Take it easy buddy, play some fallout 4 or skyrim.
>>
>>385493789
Thank you for once again proving your stupidity, idiot.
Sorry you were too shit to adapt to a combat system requiring actual thought.
>>
>>385494972
>this is what obsidiots are actually like
Further proves why New Vegas is an overrated piece of garbage tailored for retards.
>>
>>385495469
>Missing the point of a game you supposedly like.
The games writing tries to explore the possibility that god is a man made invention, and asks what would happen if people found out gods not real or what the world would be like if there was no religion in the time during the cradle of civilization. The hope being that through that you would contemplate your existence IRL. did you really miss that? There is a whole part of the game near the end that has an elf ghost explain it all to you in case you didnt understand.

I was just memeposting but you're an actual retard.
>>
>>385494284
>immersion
lmao

>>385495476
>Sorry you were too shit to adapt to a combat system requiring actual thought.
I completed the game on Tactician, now prove you did the same.
>>
>>385483567
>and the combat is severely overhyped
If you believe this, you don't play CRPGs. DOS has literally the best combat system out there in the genre, nothing else comes close.
>>
>>385496039
>I completed the game on Tactician, now prove you did the same.
lmao

I guess that explains why you defend this trashcan of a game. If i wasted my life playing some joke of a game i would lie on the internet to validate myself too.
>>
>>385482283
This game's fanabase is shit and they straight up lie to defend this game.
>>
>>385496397
>I don't like it, therefore everybody is lying
Sweet Jesus man, you gotta tone that autism down.
>>
For me, Luculla was a big downturn from cyseal where you spend half your time there actually in another dimension and the pace is all over the place with NPCs on the far side of the map written as if it was the side you were supposed to come in on but getting past it to hunter's edge and I like the uneasy alliance of orcs and humies, all supposed allies of the evil cult and you can turn them against each other
>>
Divinity OS was a test which perfected the basics of the combat but was kinda weak in everything else. The second game is shaping much better in every other regard.
>>
>>385496427
Wrong. I like the game, but i've seen a group of faggots on /v/ lying in order to defend this game once. It was fucking annoying.
>>
>>385496575
The writing is still terrible. Same goes for the story, artstyle, music and visuals.
>>
>>385496705
Now you're just listing off a bunch of subjective shit besides the writing and story.
>/v/ complains DOS1 is nothing but stupid humor
>Second game drastically tones it down
>DURR IT'S JUST SHIT
k.
>>
>>385496632
LOL, ok.

This post legitimately made me laugh. "i looked out my window once and i saw some dude, i didnt like him. So now i shit post on 4chan for revenge."
>>
>>385496793
>drastically tones it down
Not true. It's still lolsorandum jokes just like the first one.
>>
>>385496827
You analogy isn't good. It's more like " a group of fat people stole my pizza once, so now i hate fat people. "..
I don't actually hate the entire fanbase, but i angry and wanted to vent .
I'm sorry.
>>
>>385496939
No, it really isn't. Besides a few drunk side NPCs and Pet Pal exclusive creatures, the main plot stays serious. If you're seriously saying some random crab on a beach you can't talk too under normal circumstances is bad because it just exists, then every RPG story is clearly shit because absolutely none of them are this level of no fun you're asking for.
>>
>>385488115
>crying about raising willpower and bodybuilding

I never touch these and still don't have a problem. Invest in armor traits that grant passive immunities and stack that shit up with crafting to gain immunity to literally every element in the game.
>>
Typical /v/ermin subhuman only care about killing mobs in crpg's therefore they praise dos for being the best thing ever made because it have somewhat decent casual combat system

the story is shit, writing is shit, music is shit, humor is absolute garbage, art direction is shit, companions are shit, lore is shit BUT HEY! it's fun to kill stuff!
>>
>>385497049
It was never meant to be a serious analogy, I just wanted to express how ridiculous it sounded to me.
>>
>>385497050
>If you're seriously saying some random crab on a beach you can't talk too under normal circumstances is bad
What's next? mood for cheese? talking skeletons?
Seriously, fuck larian and fuck sjw swen
>>
>>385497173
To bad scripted immersion is the least important part of any game. People who need ultra graphics at 120 fps and massive dialogue trees to get immersed simply don't have any imagination, to much time in front of the TV and computer melted your brain. Go out side and read a book or draw some stick men on a page I don't know what to suggest, maybe talk to your doctor about it. I feel so bad for people like you, I bet when you close your eyes you see nothing.

I bet you are one of those people who "doesn't get" dwarf fortress.
>>
>>385497310
>BAWWWW WHY CAN I HAVE A SKILL THAT LET'S ME TALK TO ANIMALS
Literally no fun.
>>
>>385497310
SJW? The first game had high heels literally built in to the heroine and a muslim caricature enemy. They're not SJWs you dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>385496136
??? turned based is trash you literal child, baldurs gate objectively has the best combat
>>
>>385497420
kill yourself you fucking sjw cunt!!!
http://www.lar.net/2015/09/07/where-are-the-women/
>>
>>385497559
Second best right after pillars of eternity
>>
>>385497671
>apply one critical/accuracy buff and one aoe to kill everything - the game

woah wow
>>
>>385497671
>>
>>385497812
>pre-buff time stop skull trap aoe spam
woah wow
>>
>>385497923
I don't play shit like baldur's gate, I play games that entice the mind and challenge it, like Dragon's Dogma and Oblivion on max difficulty
>>
>>385498004
Guess you're not mature enough to explore rtwp perfection. Someday you will understand.
>>
>>385498157
you will never know true satisfaction of playing TRUE games
>>
File: u wa shock.png (204KB, 642x481px) Image search: [Google]
u wa shock.png
204KB, 642x481px
>>385497923
>being mad your character is powerful at the very end of the game
>>
File: 1501308720198.gif (490KB, 350x264px) Image search: [Google]
1501308720198.gif
490KB, 350x264px
>>385498004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArkTJLjbUk

my reaction image only works if you listen to this song while looking at it. Thats pretty much my reaction to this post.
>>
>>385498264
good meme, I like it
>>
>>385498198
Jokes on you, I am the REAL crpg fun.
>>385498209
>at the very end of the game
yeah right, mage in bg get op right after getting 3 lvl spells
>>
>>385498342
>Jokes on you, I am the REAL crpg fun.

S-shit
>>
>>385482283
Haven't managed to finish it cos the other got boring.
Many funny side quests though, and bro op with my mate was hilarious cos he went full do-gooder and I was a dickass thief.
>>
playing through it right now with a friend, the combat is pretty fun and I enjoy the argument system, feels more like two characters playing rather than just going along with what P1 feels like
>>
>>385482283
It's the best RPG released in 5 years.
>>385484414
Is an underage faggot.
>>
>>385497173
>music is shit
As if idiots like you couldn't get any dumber.
>>
>>385499759
lol you mad?
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.