[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In an RPG with a modern setting, what should replace the traditional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

File: PSI.png (9KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
PSI.png
9KB, 256x224px
In an RPG with a modern setting, what should replace the traditional "magic"?
>>
rockin'
>>
rooty tooty point and shooties
>>
PSI
>>
A gun
>>
Your mobile phone and it's battery is your mana.
>>
gun
>>
brownie points
>>
File: hail bringer.png (3KB, 81x73px) Image search: [Google]
hail bringer.png
3KB, 81x73px
memes and social influences
>>
PSI
>>
>>385480909
Gadget and shit
>>
Farts
>>
Abilities unique to a "class" like in LISA
>>
File: 1497667857740.png (7KB, 282x289px) Image search: [Google]
1497667857740.png
7KB, 282x289px
>>385480909
Science?
>>
psionics is good or just straight magic because fuck it. I also am a fan of nanomachines (magic).
>>
>>385481070
Yo, What's this from?
>>
>>385481070
what fangame is that sprite from?
>>
Quirky and approachable personality
>>
Swag
>>
>>385480909
bombs
>>
>>385481007
interdasting
>>
stuff that the Southpark game did
>>
>>385481187
This pretty much, "magic is just unknown science" or whatever.
>>
Radio Waves.
>>
>>385480909
tech and random tools/gadgets
battery life would be your MP with chargers needed to be used to regain battery
Most tools would have limited uses, each tech would have it's own battery life and obviously the equips would be weaker in comparison
>>
File: Starman_Clay_Model.png (329KB, 517x875px) Image search: [Google]
Starman_Clay_Model.png
329KB, 517x875px
Were they aliens or robots?
>>
>>385481670
Both.
Mechanical Life Forms
>>
What's wrong with magic in a modern setting?
>>
>>385480909
A modern RPG would properly be in a military setting (FFVIII kinda did this). So you have your explosives guy, rifleman, sniper, engineer, etc.
>>
>>385480909
Techniques/skills.
Literally unique actions in the game which are stronger or different from the usual attack/commands but at the cost of something such as a stock of use or cast from a pool of points.
Shit like throwing your weapon as an attack has the usage of "stock of weapons" before you run out, something like a martial art skill may tire or damage a person if cast from MP/HP, requiring restoring effects to allow usage again.
Now just put that into special damage type/status bullets, certain weapon's durability and the like.
>>
>>385481007
This is a good idea that needs to be used.
>>
File: FinalStarman.png (954B, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
FinalStarman.png
954B, 128x128px
>>385481195
>>385481210
Gaia's Lament. a fan comic that was going to be made into a fun game but never happened. the author was based enough to release all the sprites he made though.
>>
>>385480909
Your willpower.
>>
>>385481007
What can a phone do?
>>
>>385480909
Drugs
>>
>>385482327
Summon demons.
>>
>>385480909
As other people have said; gadgets. Tasers/etc simulate lightning, flamethrowers/napalm simulate fire, liquid nitrogen simulates ice, hoses simulate water, airstrikes from F-35's simulate meteor swarm. You know, the basics.
>>
>>385482327
Use text as weapons
>>
>>385480909
TWEWY is a modern day Earthbound.
>>
>>385482768
yeah except earthbound didn't suck donkey dicks
>>
File: fonkay.png (312KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
fonkay.png
312KB, 500x447px
>>385480909
Whatever the fuck you want. It's not like psychic powers are much different from magic anyway, besides the name.

Hell, let's take a random RPG like Etrian Odyssey as an example. It's not exactly a 'modern' setting rather, it's the postapocalyptic future, but anyway, magic clearly exists in its world, used by monsters and playable character classes (Hexers)... and yet, the primary elemental 'mage' class, Alchemist, basically uses hi-tech gauntlets to 'cast magic'. Other classes like Protector have access to nonsensical skills like Defender that buff the whole party's defense for no good reason at all, unlike other more easily explainable skills like Parry or Front Guard. Are these magic too, or what should you call them?
>>
>>385482960
(you)
>>
>>385482768
Might as well call Kingdom Hearts a modern day Earthbound.
>>
>>385483019
sorry bud, TWEWY's shit
>>
File: EarthBound_Box.jpg (112KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound_Box.jpg
112KB, 400x293px
>>385481670
>>385481719
Check the eye
>>
>>385480909
If there are martial arts involved then chi or ki is a good substitute. Psychokinesis is another. I think my personal favorite would be to just have a "skill" meter and instead of traditional fire, ice, and cure spells have a certain character who is, say, an expert marksman expend meter to debuff the opponent via VATS analog, or even just give certain characters things like charm and intimidate that cost "focus" or "effort" etc
>>
File: 1499904695503.jpg (18KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499904695503.jpg
18KB, 480x480px
>>385482242
Thanks anon, although I've seen a lot of these sprites from the unearthed earthbound rom hack they're still impressive nonetheless.
>>
>>385483223
Yeah, the visor has a reflection of Ness in it, facing off the Starman. What of it?
>>
>>385483223
A reflective visor? Doesn't really prove anything either way.
>>
>>385481007
You know those mock-up pics of a Dark Souls game with a urban setting that has a smartphone in the magic slot?
Your post is how I see it working.
>>
>>385482426
How do you get demon to summon? Auctions?
>>
>>385482242
Good shit.
Hope the guy is working with Mother 4/Vox or something.
>>
Memelogy.
>>
>>385480909

Replace MP (Magic Points) with CP (Computer Parts)
>>
Drones, hacking and nanomachines of course.
>>
What would modern adaptations of PSI Rockin and PK Love be?
>>
>>385484723
PK Jammin' PK Lust
>>
>>385480909
Exciting technology.
>>
>>385484723
In the original Japanese version PK Rockin is actually something like "PSI Fighting Spirit" but that was obviously too long. I like "Rockin" though, has a subtle goofiness to it.
>>
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Many JRPGs already go this route in a somewhat halfassed manner, where traditional 'magic' is technically explained via some form of technology. But a more standard approach to science would be neat too.

You could probably use religion/faith as well, but that's a risky move these days.
>>
>>385484723
PK Falseflag
>>
File: Untitled.png (413KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
413KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>385480909
memes
>>
I think this an appropriate thread to ask this question.

I'm trying to make an RPG, and I'm wondering what are the essential do's and don'ts when it comes to designing turn-based mechanics in this day and age. For the record, my RPG won't feature a full-fledged party; it would be just you, and you'd have the ability to summon a single familiar to help you out in battle.
>>
science
>>
>>385486315
Try to make buffs and debuffs meaningful.

If there is magic put a lot of time into balancing it, not making it too strong but not weak.

Dungeon design is insanely important, PLEASE put a lot of time into the dungeons and their designs.

Make each character unique but equally powerful, while slight power creeps are understandable don't make some able to slaughter everything and others that will die from a single battle.
>>
>>385480909
Skills that are generally based around a science, but require crafting to an extent. Depending on the fantasy RPG setting sometimes you only need mana, MP, or some other variant. While other have you needing actual items/spell components to utilize actual magic. Or ritual based spells requiring certain acts to be done, even simple prayer.

Skills that come to mind that in some ways could replace your different branches of magic such as evocation, alteration, enchanting, conjuration, abjuration, necromancy, illusion, religious/faith based magics, as well as divination to just name a few..

>Chemistry
>Herbalism/Alchemy/Agriculture
As in combining organic materials to create something new with chemistry that'd imply inorganic materials as well. Hybrid plant types, and creating something from almost nothing.
>Will/Charisma
The ability to dedicate yourself to a goal(s) or invoke others to aid you along in said goals. Verbal judo of sorts de-escalating fights, negotiating better deals, or inspire courage. Emotions are a powerful thing.
>Physics
>Energy management
The process of utilizing thermal/electrical/wind/solar and other energies to help you in some way. Vague in description, but can be charging a taser to subdue an opponent. Creating a fuel to cook a meal, or weld materials for crafting purposes/ or sunder arms/armors.

These are just examples off the top. In practice you could create examples from each of these, even coming up with more skills. For a more modern RPG setting.
>>
>>385484723
Methamphetamine/Ecstasy
>>
>>385486315
Play Hylics, it's about 3 hours long and does a lot surprisingly right
>>
File: 1396741223880.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1396741223880.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>385482426
>Call up a demon and ask for his help
>>
>>385482327
>>385481007
This is basically exactly how Simulated Magic works in the Digital Devil Story novels (and the Shin Megami Tensei RPG series that spawned from it.) In the lore of both series, actual magic is rather complex and requires a lengthy spellbook and/or lots of magic circle drawing. In the digital age, said spellbooks can now be stored as readable files on a computer or PDA/smartphone, and with the advances of a particularly skilled programmer and mage, you could even simulate said magic circles digitally. Now anyone with the knowledge to actually utilize this can now cast spells near-instantly. Including summoning/conjuration spells.
>>
>>385486760
What are some good and bad examples of dungeon design?
>>
I don't know but all I know is that games need to learn from Earthbound's badass audiovisual design animation wise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ42Afr_F3E
>>
>>385487847
>what is Telefang
>>
>>385480909
Is this a Mother 4 rebranding thread in disguise?
>>
>>385488405
This can be hard to say but I feel two games in my opinion are Dragon Quest III and SMT: Nocturne.

In DQIII dungeons are simple but feature different passages and such. However the main reason I mention them is that some offer interesting challenges and such to mix things up. For example, one dungeon has you not able to do magic and another has the hero separated from his party to complete a personal trial.

SMT: Nocturne is kind of hard to define, I think maybe just play it is all I can say. I feel it gives players a good challenge in length but never feel too long and satisfying to complete.
>>
I think the closest it would be would be Tech

Want to use a lightning spell? It's actually tech that pulls clouds together to spit out lightning.

Fire would work from the same tech. I like the idea about the cell phone though. The battery being the mana.

Your experience using it would be how well you know how to maintain and program/code your tech.
>>
drugs
>>
>>385488880
They've already decided on renamed PSI to VOX for some radio wave shit.
>>
This seems like a decent thread to ask.
Has anyone here played Cognitive Dissonance? Thinking of playing through it but I'd like to know whether or not it's shit.
>>
>>385482324
>armament haki
>can be used on equipment
>observation haki
>press button for dodge mechanic
>conqueror's haki
>area of effect

I'd be okay with this.
>>
Pile Drivers.
>>
>>385483584
The world runs on money.
>>
>>385480962
Are you the greasy strangler?
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.