[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Myst: URU meetup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 15

File: Uru.png (155KB, 256x307px) Image search: [Google]
Uru.png
155KB, 256x307px
Myst: URU meetup thread

11:00 PM EST

So, yesterday we talked about having a meetup for URU Online, a walking simulator/puzzle solving/exploration game that's stupidly complex and large.

You can get it here:
http://mystonline.com/en/

When installing, you might encounter two problems:
1. After installation, you might be missing "MSVCP71.dll". Check the forums for a download link, and put the files wherever "urulauncher.exe" was installed.
2. When you launch it, right click the shortcut and hit "run as Administrator".
Those two things made it work fine for me when I re-downloaded it yesterday.

There's a bit of a tutorial section to go through before you can access the main city. I'd say it takes about an hour if you don't know what you're doing, and probably 20 minutes if you actually remember what the hell is going on.

So download it and play it early.

I never got all that far the first time I played it, so another anon can probably explain more than I can.

I might not be able to make it because I'm a faggot who said his girlfriend can come over, but she might have fallen asleep, in which case I'll be there. Everyone else should be there, because this game is as fun as it is confusing, which is to say, VERY
>>
File: myst2.jpg (107KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
myst2.jpg
107KB, 500x310px
>>
Welcome back. I got lost earlier in Uru and have been enjoying myself.
>4 Ages available to me
>Plus what I assume is the HUB
>Found a Ki or whatever and found 4 runes that keep stacking up in the back of my linking book
>>
File: myst3.png (87KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
myst3.png
87KB, 300x225px
>>
>>385470810
That confused me for the longest time, but the symbols you get are stuff that affects your "home lodge" or whatever.

The birds, for example, make it so that birds fly around your place. They're active if they're lit up, and deactivated if you click on them and turn dark.

(I literally just recognized this after reinstalling.)
>>
>>385470810
Also,
>I got lost earlier in Uru
That's pretty much the entire experience of Uru.

I went to the "pub" area, and got stuck in stage 3 or 4 of the water treatment plant.
>>
File: myst4.jpg (10KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
myst4.jpg
10KB, 320x320px
>>
File: myst5.jpg (153KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
myst5.jpg
153KB, 800x500px
>>
>>385470971
Neat. I'm glad I jumped into a hole in the Ki area then to grab one.
>>385471123
Yeah. I took a little pause for dinner, then I'm gonna go back in and see if I can't figure out that forest puzzle with the lenses. I could spend a few ages just being lost and not get bored at this rate honestly.
*Only ever played Myst 1
>>
>>385470971
The threads gonna die, because nobody cares.

If nobody shows up tonight, I'll try again on Sunday/Monday, when the woman leaves.
>>
>>385471303
If you ever made it through Myst 1, this should mostly be a cakewalk, with few exceptions.

I never tried the multiplayer puzzels, though.

I do remember spending hours on a keyboard trying to get the ship to work in the original MYST.
>>
>>385471303
There's one on the upper floor of the first "zoo" area on the right, if you hang a left at the central monument. It turns your place green, and significantly more pretty.
>>
File: myst6.jpg (29KB, 425x281px) Image search: [Google]
myst6.jpg
29KB, 425x281px
>>
File: myst7.jpg (69KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
myst7.jpg
69KB, 800x500px
I'm sad /v/ doesn't like this game.

It deserves far more love.
>>
Oh wow, I played this back when it was on Game Tap. There is an endless amount of lore and stuff to dig up with this game. Have you played on the fan servers? People ported all of the ages from Myst 5 to this game, and added in a ton of fan-made stuff of varying quality.
>>
>>385472489
No, I've only played the official vanilla version.

And even that had way too much content for me to finish.
>>
File: myst8.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
myst8.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
I hope you guys make it. It's a great game.
>>
I really like the idea of this game and am sad there isn't much else like it. It was intended to be a puzzle solving/exploration MMO with an interactive world that was always changing. The dev team played characters in-game who would log in and answer questions, and there was a sense that anything could happen at any moment. There was always a sense of mystery, like a new pathway would open up unexpectedly, or a one-time event would occur late at night, and if you weren't there, you would miss it.
>>
>>385472878
It also had the aspect of "logical puzzle solving", plus that psychological phenomena where you would totally forget about a puzzle in your normal life, and then have a "HOLY FUCK AH HA" moment, that was orgasmically satisfying.
>>
Was Uru really that bad? Why did people hate it?
>>
>>385473413
I don't recall anyone hating it.

But some of the puzzles were ridiculously complex.

I never used a guide for anything, and I'm pretty sure to this day, not everything has been solved.
>>
This game is in a prime position for a revival in a big way. So far, no one has stepped up to make a well-researched youtube video covering the game, its history, and community efforts to keep it going. Cyan open sourced the engine as Open URU, and there are good tools out there to build ages, including PyPRP, OfflineKI, as well as the server software for different Shards.
>>
I hope you guys can make it.

I might make nightly threads this week, since I'm unemployed now, and URU needs more inhabitants.
>>
Also, I recommend shutting off all the lights in your room and playing in first person mode.

The graphics aren't top notch, but you totally forget that after five minutes.
>>
Also, make sure to look at the Guild of Writers. The Uru community is a labyrinth of bizarre and fascinating creations:
https://www.guildofwriters.org/
>>
>>385473836
I think they also feature poets works in-game occasionally. I only read one of the books.
>>
(please bump)
>>
File: Minkata_Karte_V03.jpg (168KB, 1268x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Minkata_Karte_V03.jpg
168KB, 1268x1092px
>>
>>385473602
I wonder if it'd be possible to write something akin to LSD Dream Emulator into the engine as a standalone thing.
>>
>>385474476

They're a tad similar.

But a lot of the charm is due to the autistic detail to the MYST universe, for whatever that entails.

You get a lot of autists who literally believe they're d'ni, and speak in d'ni, and unlike speaking in furry, it's awesome.

However, I can't remember the greeting, so I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb.
>>
Oh boy, I was obsessed with Uru years ago, even though in hindsight it had a shit ton of flaws.

>>385473413
>>385473489
When it went online, it just had the basic worlds designed for single-player, plus some additional places for players to meet and talk. Then they released 2 small worlds with a single multiplayer puzzle each. Then over time they added 4 "worlds" that were actually just small pods that let you look out windows at a world that you couldn't explore, but sometimes random alien-like animals would spawn outside. Also there was a chart you could find elsewhere that you could use to calculate when a portal would spawn in one of the pods, but you just get a stone piece that never did anything.

I mean I could go on, but basically they only ever added small bits of content at a time, and often it wasn't great. Like the 4 pods are basically just rooms where you look out windows. The 2 small multiplayer worlds were kind of fun, but the puzzle worked the same way and I mean it's not really that fun to replay. There was a desert world they made that had a cool puzzle involving constellations and figuring out compass directions based on your shadows.

Ugh, I mean I could go on about the bad decisions. Like in the single-player expansion pack, there were MULTIPLE puzzles that had to be solved by not moving for roughly 15 minutes, I don't remember if they were kept in the online version.

Anyway, have /v/ posters been trying to get into Uru lately?
>>
>>385474959

That's what I meant by the "zoos". I think they had 8 when I was there, but if you want to see the massive creatures, you have to show up at a highly specific time, which I never found out.
>>
>>385474872
>You get a lot of autists who literally believe they're d'ni, and speak in d'ni
Back in the day, I think the game kind of encouraged you to be in-character, so I'm not sure how many people are hardcore role-playing and how many are autistic?
>>
>>385475348
Back in the day, literally everyone greeted you in [autistic d'ni], and it was fucking awesome.

If you said "hello", you were a normie casual who had to get the fuck out.
>>
>>385474872
Shorah!
>>
>>385475495
THATS IT

Thank you.
>>
But seriously, everyone redownload this game and hang out. I can't join you because of vagina obligations soon, but it's seriously the best quasiMMO I've ever played. The lore is kino, and the mechanics are kino, and there's more content than you can get through before you have a midlife crisis.
>>
>the backstory of the Myst games/books is about using books to travel to different worlds
>in Uru the plot involves fucking weird alien creatures that can travel form world to world at will and apparently they were around all along and never addressed

The original story was very grounded in reality with science fiction elements and then in Uru there are no rules, just fucking do whatever.
>>
File: uru-live-10.jpg (96KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
uru-live-10.jpg
96KB, 500x375px
There is so much weird lore in this game that can only be found buried in some obscure forum post from 2007. A lot of the ages were intended to be expanded at some point. For example, there were huts off in the distance in Eder Gira.
>>
>>385475904
Is the second part true?

I never got that far.
>>
>>385476207
Yeah they were talked about a lot in the single-player "campaign" and then at the end you see them in the distance, and it's kind of cool and mysterious in a way. But then during "events" they would sometimes appear in public areas.

Then in Myst V (which was more of an Uru game than a Myst game) they were the focus of the plot.
>>
The in-game D'ni Restoration Council had a webpage that listed their ongoing restoration work. If the game had continued, the ages on this list, as well as the D'ni City Proper would have found their way into the game
https://web.archive.org/web/20080511220940/http://www.drcsite.org/project.php
>>
>>385476526
There is a lot of concept art for unreleased ages, as well as partially complete ages themselves, that never saw the light of day.
>>
File: KahloAge4.jpg (113KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
KahloAge4.jpg
113KB, 800x600px
Here's one, Kahlo
>>
>>385476526
>>385476660
I mean I know Cyan was (is) a small company but like at the end of the day you need multiplayer content for your multiplayer game.

The original content they released for online included:
>2 versions of one timed multiplayer puzzle
>4 tiny rooms with windows
>1 cool desert
>1 tiny lame sandbox area that encouraged you to push objects around by running into them even though the engine clearly wasn't designed for it
>>
>>385471951
Didn't the Bahro kind of take the cool mysticism out of The Art?
>>
>>385476747
Please do not ever post this age or mention its name again. Back in the day, this was like THE "oh man new content can't wait" world that kind of became a meme in a way that HL3 is. Except it wasn't really a meme, people seemed to think it would be the next cool big world to be released, and it never was.
>>
>>385477376
Yes, the Bahro and everything about Yeesha were awful. There were so many poor creative decisions involved in Uru.

But there was some great stuff.
https://youtu.be/nT7SwmKUsOk
>>
File: 1359001565475.jpg (7KB, 170x213px) Image search: [Google]
1359001565475.jpg
7KB, 170x213px
I can't come tonight but I can install Uru and meet up with you guys another night. I remember installing it a few years ago and running around by myself. Definitely unsettling by yourself. The areas are meant for multiplayer
>>
File: 250px-JeffZandi.png (109KB, 250x299px) Image search: [Google]
250px-JeffZandi.png
109KB, 250x299px
Claiming my husbando.
>>
>>385477426
I mean, at this point it's more of a TCRF curiosity. It's been over a decade, I just want stuff like this to be documented and known about.
>>
The Neighborhoods were super comfy
>>
File: post-2-1158712985.jpg (88KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
post-2-1158712985.jpg
88KB, 1024x768px
I liked how in the original campaign you could link into places like this office and a rooftop with lots of journals and equipment, it's like you're unwittingly sneaking into places when no one's around.
>>
I know you're here somewhere, John.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.