[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

convince me not to buy it /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: steam--controller--.jpg (40KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
steam--controller--.jpg
40KB, 600x337px
convince me not to buy it /v/
>>
ids bretty gud
>>
Valve does not believe in quality control.
>>
>>385464241
so i just refund it if its shit? whats your point?
>>
File: 14 - qyysTRc.png (3MB, 1356x1480px) Image search: [Google]
14 - qyysTRc.png
3MB, 1356x1480px
why should i
>>
>>385464846
to discus /v/idya related things
>>
>>385463951
It's good for X-Com
>>
It's a damn good controller and nowadays I pretty much use it for everything besides games with dpad movement and PC games that are too fast for it like RTS or online multiplayer. I dont know why I would really try to stop you

Do you understand what you're getting into though? It does take some time to get a layout for keyboard and mouse only games set up, but you can do it pretty fast for controller games. Also it's not going to fully replace your old controller or your keyboard.
>>
>>385463951
It's horrible for games that you'd want to use a controller for. It's basically only for playing a game that requires a mouse from a couch or something, but even then you'll perform worse than if you just used a mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>385465113
>It's horrible for games that you'd want to use a controller for.
But it's arguably better for that than it's actual purpose of PC games.

The only time it won't replace a traditional controller is for 2D platformers. And a good number of modern ones control with a stick
>>
>>385463951
Is the D pad shitty. Does it feel solid and click when pressed or does it feel like the D pad is sitting on mashed potatoes when it's pressed.
>>
>>385463951
You'll hate it if you don't have the patience to learn all the config shit, otherwise it's great and easily the best choice for most genres as far as controllers go.
>>
>>385463951
eventually you'll realize most community presets are retarded and spend hours making your own. It's like Skyrim modding, but with every game in your library.
>>
>>385465259
Its fine as 4 buttons like most modern games use the dpad. But I would keep another controller handy for 2D movement that requires the dpad.
>>
>>385465259
It's a touchpad, not a real D-pad. There's a real, very tactile button though.

>>385465381
This is only the case if you're going to try to play games which aren't really suited to a controller in the first place. Anything that works with a 360 pad is pretty easy to map, you just need a few tweaks to get sensitivity and shit right and maybe a few custom bindings for the specific game. You hardly need to start from scratch all the time.
>>
>>385465259
It's not a dpad, it's just a touch surface with a dpad shaped etched into it to help you keep your finger located.
>>
File: 1365531021377.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1365531021377.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>Playing through Kingdom Hearts 1 emulated with my Steam Controller
>Have up and down on the dpad mapped to the backpaddles so I don't have to take my hands off of anything to navigate the command menu
It's the little conveniences I'm able to create that really make the controller for me.
>>
>>385465458
>>385465584
>>385465669
is the d-pad that bad or does it work good enough for most games?
>>
>>385465896
ITS
NOT
A
DPAD

You might as well call your mouse a dpad.

You can use it quite happily as a dpad replacement but it's not a dpad. I've beaten meatboy levels and shit with it, it's not bad, but it's not a dpad or even close to using one.
>>
>>385465896
Any game that doesn't use the dpad for movement is going to be totally fine.

Some people have reported getting use to the dpad for 2d movement like a 2d platformer or making a config that works for them. But the average Steam Controller user will tell you to keep a controller handy for dpad required games like Hollow Knight or Cave Story or something like that.
>>
its fucking awesome on tv with gyro aim. maximum comfy.
>>
>>385465896
It's a dpad indent on a trackpad, it doesn't give you any sensation similar to being a dpad. Which is fine for games that use the pad as just buttons. But games that use it for movement prove to be tricky for most people
>>
Only worth it if you plan to emulate out the ass. Otherwise, it won't even come close to replacing either the keyboard and mouse or gamepad
>>
>>385465896
I can use it fine for stuff like platforming, but anything more precise like fighting games or stuff like menuing where you need to tap repeatedly are pretty shitty.
>>
>>385465113
>It's horrible for games that you'd want to use a controller for.
Dark souls you numbnut. Being able to run or jump while rotating the camera or having mouselike control over the camera is godlike
>>
>>385466363
the right pad is actually good for camera mouvment?
>>
>>385465896
It's not a D-pad at all, it's a touchpad identical to the one on the right except it has a cross shape on top, that's it.

It works perfectly fine as a D-pad for shit like menu navigation, inventory, quick binds for various actions and shit like that which modern games tend to assign to it. For games which use it for movement, it's hard to say. I don't play many games like that in the first place, but it's safe to say at least that it doesn't feel like a real D-pad at all. You can do shit like bind it so you don't even have to press the button, just touch it and swipe around and use tactile feedback to feel when you hit a "button" or things like that. You have to see for yourself and give it some time, it works but it's different than a real D-pad and while you can definitely replicate the functionality you cannot replicate the feeling, so it depends if you like it or not and if you're willing to change to something different or not.
>>
I heard it only works with Steam games thoough? How are people saying it works with emus and stuff? And what about all my pirated shit?
>>
>>385466672
It works with anything, but you have to add it as a non-Steam game in Steam in order to make a custom binding for it. Works with emus, I use it with pcsx2. Hell it even works for general Windows software, doesn't even have to be a game or emu.
>>
For a few extra dollars you could get a good controller
>>
>>385466841
>For a few extra dollars
they're basiclly all the same price

>you could get a good controller
like what
>>
>>385466672
There's third-party software to configure it or if you're fine with having Steam running just add non-steam games to it.
>>
>>385465846
The little conveniences build up as you learn the controller untill you start to love it.
>>385466313
Using the trackpad without click would be ideal for that.
>>385466443
Yeah, the mouselike joystick takes input like a mouse and translates that to stick input. You would rarely think it's xinput joystick when using it
>>
>>385465458
>>385465584
>>385465669
>>385466058
>>385466065
>>385466152
>>385466313
>>385466490
Maybe it is something that can be gotten used to but that does kind of suck. I understand why others are saying have a second controller around.
>>
>>385466672
>Add non-steam game
>power up controller so you can edit configs
>right click your emu and select edit config
>>
>>385467246
Yeah the Steam controller makes a lot of controller games play better, and it totally viable for a lot of PC games, but it's not a total replacement for either
>>
>>385466930
Linux for example has SC-controller. It's bretty good
>>
>>385467641
That's what I was referring to. I have no idea if Windows has anything similar.
>>
>>385467246
I haven't played any game with a traditional controller since I got the SC, but then again I don't play fighting games or 2D platformers, I imagine those would be most impacted by the lack of a real D-pad if you're used to having one.
>>
>>385466363
>being able to run and jump while controlling the camera
Haven't you always been able to do that?
>>
>>385468713
Not in DS1 unless you clawed. In the other games you sprint with the stick click iirc which to me is awkward as fuck.
>>
>>385468713
It's fairly common in 3rd person console games if you hold the controller "normally" and use your thumbs for the sticks/face buttons. When you have to use the face buttons you have to move your right thumb away from the stick, which controls the camera.

You don't have to do that with mouse/kb of course.
>>
>>385463951
you are honestly better off buying a switch pro controller. I don't care if you don't have a switch buying any other controller that you couldn't use is better than that
>>
>>385466443
It's way better, absolutely excellent in games which can take mouse input when used in combination with the gyro. It's really great once you get the hang of it, though not quite as good as a mouse. It's not so amazing if you are forced to set it to emulate a stick, but it's still more responsive and more accurate than a stick for aiming and camera control.
>>
Don't use it for games that require good and fast aim. I've spent about 5 hours in Dying Light finding a setting that allows smooth touchpad aiming that doesn't cause the camera to twitch around like a crack addict, and so far nothing has worked as good as my PS4 controller. Likewise for DOOM and TF2. Gyro aim sort of works but requires too much fanangling to really be worth it.
It mostly worked with Shadow of Mordor, though bow aiming is either jerky as all fuck or slow as hell.
>>
>>385463951
What the fuck is that D-pad?
>>
>>385469787
Another touchpad. You can use it like a Dpad either through pressing it down, or simply touching it. Touch controls work surprisingly well in many 2D games.
>>
>>385463951

I enjoy mine. It's not for everyone and it's got a steep learning curve but once you get over it it's a pretty nice controller. The haptics pads take some getting used to but once you learn how to set them up the way you want them they're pretty useful.
>>
>>385469762
i've found success in using Medium Acceleration + Low Friction for the touchpad, and no accel for the gyro. Not going to get constant headshots but it's pretty playable.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.