[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought this crap on steam. Whats the best way to play it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

Just bought this crap on steam. Whats the best way to play it? Heard that there is a mod?
Also, how essential is a controller?
>>
>buying
>steam
>>
Install the FAR mode, helps with resolution issue if that affects you.

Turn on AO, turn off AA - this game uses resource hungry AA solution.

Start on Normal. If you want to play on hard, wait till you finish the prologue and create a save file. Don't forget to save, there is no auto save in this game.

You can advance the main quest till they give you fast travel before you indulge in side quests, otherwise you will probably get tired from running circles around the map.

If you really get into the game, you will probably end up overfarmed on side quests. When you notice the game getting too easy, switch to hard, you can switch difficulty at any time.

Don't worry about skipping side quests, eventually you will be able to complete everything, and some of the side quests are meant to be completed at a later time in the game.

Hope you have a controller, because double-tapping directions on the keyboard for evasion wasn't a very good idea.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
>>
>>385458615
>Start on Normal.
Is this necessary for any story reason, or just because the average player get their asses handled?
>>
>>385458868
the latter.
>>
>>385458868
Hard mode might as well be nightmare mode.
At the beginning of the game there is no checkpoint. Die in the prologue, you have to start it all over again, and boy is it it fucking tedious. You can switch to hard mode after that though.
>>
>>385458868
The prologue's kind of brutal on hard, and there are no save points until you're done with it.
>>
File: NieR_Automata_20170302203708.jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NieR_Automata_20170302203708.jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
>>385458868
There is a huge difference between Normal and Hard difficulty. Go ahead and start on Hard if you really think you are that hardcore- just don't come back here crying about having to do the entire Prologue over again.

The difficulty scaling really is one of my only objective gripes about the game. It's just badly done all around.
>>
>>385458547
>Filthy pirate
What's new
>>
>>385459257
or hes implying he could have bought it much cheaper off cdkeys.com
>>
>>385459252
Yeah, I think the game could be better off without the levelling system at all.
>>
Hard is the best way to play, but play the prologue on normal as there is no save point until after. Experiment with the chip system. Use the FAR mod to decrease global lighting quality, as the default is at a ridiculous setting that kills performance and has no visual impact, stick to medium or high
>>
Do the game have generic controller support or do i need to use that 360 controller emulator?
>>
Another thing to remember, when you die you lose your chips untill you get to your body, like dark souls. Chips are extremely important when it comes to survival on hard, basically without them you'll get one shotted by everything. Consider reloading a save upon death instead of attempting the corpse run.
>>
>>385459803
I think my friend played it with a logitech controller with no problems. Not sure about that though.
>>
>>385459803
>playing with a controller
why anon?
>>
File: A2.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
A2.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>385457865
>Whats the best way to play it
Normal for the tutorial level, hard for the rest of the game
>Heard that there is a mod?
Far or the open source program borderless gaming. Both will fix the resultion issue while FAR allows you to tinker with a lot more for potentially better performance
>how essential is a controller?
Essential? No. Highly recommended? Yes.
>>
>>385457865
>>385457865
>Load up the game and play through the first shmup sequence
>self destruct as soon as you land
>masturbate furiously
>quit game and play something else
>>
File: gta.webm (3MB, 372x360px) Image search: [Google]
gta.webm
3MB, 372x360px
>>385457865
>FAR mod
https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/Various fixes, graphical improvements, and features. WIP mod.

>Improving graphics further
https://reshade.me/
To access to the depth buffer disable AA/AO.

Some other graphics stuff:
>Anti-aliasing is MSAA and introduces a weird outline on characters
>Ambient occlusion includes post-AA
>AA+AO=slightly worse pop-in

>Switch Player from 2B to A2 or S9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SvieLSjaiE [Embed]

>DS4 buttons
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/870-nier-automata-dualshock-4-button-prompts/

>CE Freecam Table
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682947327
Features:
Freecam
HUD hide((also removes film grain in the bunker and letterboxing during cutscenes)
Timescale(for slow motion or time freeze)

>Another Freecam
https://github.com/Spl3en/NierAutomataFreeCamera/releases
Gives you control of the camera pod, not as good as the CE table but you can use your controller and teleport around by pressing X.

>Other CE tinkering
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636&sid=0b3ce0529978edba4c8ae183e4d4c73a

>Trainer with slow motion and cheats
http://gtrainers.com/load/categories/trainers/nier_automata_trainer_17_1_0_fling/28-1-0-3278

>2B's model in .obj, XNA, SFM, and MMD
http://luxox18.deviantart.com/art/NieR-Automata-2B-669830885
http://lezisell.deviantart.com/art/Nier-Automata-YoRHa-2b-XPS-ONLY-670072471
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887478468
http://arisumatio.deviantart.com/art/MMD-YoRHa-2B-DL-Updated-v1-1-670370357

>Shitty nude mods
http://art-of-the-body.deviantart.com/gallery/
>Misc modding
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nierMnM

There are some 2B/A2 retextures too but I'd have to upload them to work with FAR properly. Anyone interested?
>>
>>385460226
Because it's the better way to play this game. I tried both, and you can't direct your evasion as well on the keyboard.
>>
File: wrong neighbourhood.webm (3MB, 954x460px) Image search: [Google]
wrong neighbourhood.webm
3MB, 954x460px
>>385459252
>>385459113
It's not that bad but normal is more balanced.
>>
>>385460864
Normal is piss easy, and lock on ruins the flow of combat
>>
>>385457865
FAR mod is essential. Controller is as well.
Start on normal, switch to hard after the first boss.
>>
File: thumbnail.webm (3MB, 640x250px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.webm
3MB, 640x250px
>>385461120
Yeah it is easy but lock-on just makes it more cinematic.
>>
>>385457865
>this crap

Fuck you OP, you don't deserve it
>>
>>385460226
>playing this with a mouse & keyboard

That's just stupid.
>>
>>385461650
There is no need to be so sensitive.
>>
File: Jb3569x.png (12KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jb3569x.png
12KB, 1920x1080px
>>385457865
I've started it recently as well.
Keyboard is about as good as it is in Rising; quite playable, though probably not optimal.

My biggest problem is that it crashes about twice an hour. I got a shitty AMD card so I get this white screen bug constantly.
>>
>>385458868
Prolouge bosses just one shot you on hard-- it's a very annoying sequence when you can't get hit once.
>>
File: 20170319205830_1.jpg (209KB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170319205830_1.jpg
209KB, 2560x1080px
>>385461120
The game seemed designed with lock on in mind, at least for general 3rd person combat (considering how cumbersome the controls are to aim and attack at the same time). They gave people that want the extra mechanical difficulty a way to achieve it with the chip system. Whomever designed the Hard mode settings didn't seem to understand that though.

If you like the combat as is with lock on, there is unfortunately no way to make it more intense. You're either stuck with "piss-easy mode" or "fuck it this isn't worth the hassle because the combat simply isn't that good" mode.

It's not even like you can prevent yourself from leveling up...
>>
>>385464271
The game is more certainly designed not to use lock-on. It pushes you to melee combat to make use of it's platinum combat and leaves ranged for it's bullet/changed perspective sections, and for otherwise unreachable targets. Why does the missile system exist if your supposed to have lock-on...? It's strictly inferior to lock-on enabled gun. I think it's you who doesn't understand their design intention friend.
>>
>>385464667
>Aiming and attacking require the same thumb
Yeah no, the lack of lock on is pretty obviously a flawed idea of how to make the game harder
>>
OP here
>Download the game
>Server is not reachable
Sasuga Taro. I paid 40 bucks for this? Can anyone help?
>>
>>385464870
How, exactly? It's super weird they even gave lock-on on easy and allow the player to bypass the primary play pattern (going mele and dodging attacks) in favor of mindlessly holding down the fire button. On hard firing on an enemy limits your mobility due to the difficult of aiming it on the move, which makes it an interesting choice, rather than a mindless one. It adds depth of choice to the game.
>>
>>385465773
Because the reality is is that hard is just going to be for the people who can stomach using claw grip constantly.
>>
>>385465947
I made it through hard on my first playthrough without cheesing anything except consumable use. If you properly use the chips at your disposal, it really is not as hard or tedious and /v/ likes to say it is. One 30% hp chip stops anything outside suicide bombers from gibbing you.
>>
How long is the prologue anyway? Restarting the whole thing is fucking retarded.
>>
>>385465615
>PC problems
Should have gotten a PS4
>>
>>385466353
Flight section, boss, factory section, boss. Fairly long all things considered, which is why it's considered the hardest part of the game.
>>
>>385466353
It's long enough to make you switch to normal before you can finish it on hard.
>>
>>385466465
Why would you buy a console with one game?
>>
>>385466486
Damn, so I died on the last boss.

You can spoil the game for me, but was there a general reason why they did it this way?
>>
>>385466753
Cause then you could at least play it :^)
>>
>>385466759
The prologue is literally like, an hour.
The game is 30 hours long.
Just play it.
>>
>>385467058
I was already gonna play it, but why did they do that?
>>
>>385457865
How's the sex mod scene going? Any progress?
>>
>>385466759
Theres a pretty big theme of the never-ending war, so I think they wanted you to get slammed atleast once in the prologue so that when you look back at it, it's somewhat poignant. You all deploy and die, and deloy and die. And deloy, and die. They didn't quite hit the difficult mark though, hard is too hard and normal can be a bit annoying for people not used to platinum gameplay... not to mention it's too long.
>>
>>385460661
Definitely
>>
>>385469556
okay give me a min
>>
File: 1500769377385.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500769377385.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>Also, how essential is a controller?

Pretty essential, having a dedicated dodge button instead of double tapping WASD directions makes shit so much easier.
>>
>>385469556
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0iry84zlwdy1ch/Nier%20Texture%20mod%20for%20FAR.rar?dl=0
>>
>>385471162
Thanks m8
>>
>>385471907
NieRAutomata\FAR_Res\inject\textures

put them here, sorry I was busy so I couldn't tell you sooner.
>>
>>385460226
>playing action games with m+kb
That's about as fucking stupid as playing shooters with a controller.
>>
>>385457865
I'm pissed people go into this thinking of it as a DMC/Bayonetta game instead of an RPG then get complain when it turns out it's not as in depth as those two games.
No shit.
Play some RPGs idiots.
>>
>>385459252
So hard mode is actually hard? Wow fucking awful.
>>
>>385473705
The issue is that the chasm between normal and hard is so wide that there really isn't a way for most people to get a satisfying challenge- just the masochists and absolute casuals.

There is no problem with hard existing as it is, there should have just been something in between.
>>
>>385473272
Not a problem. Before I tried anything, I wanted to start up the game. Won't even launch anymore.

A real shame. This game's never going to be patched either.
>>
>>385474747
But there really isn't outside the tutorial. People run into boss attacks with no defensive chips and die, then complain about it. A single +HP chip, anti-chain chip, and health restore items ends the games ability to one shot you in 90% of cases. People fail to use the most prominent and powerful mechanics given to them, then complain when hard kills them.
>>
>>385473631
To be fair, it's somewhere in the middle. I do think the combat is very good, the characters are all a joy to control. But you can't say it's an RPG when Platinum was involved.
>>
>>385475306
>But you can't say it's an RPG
Why? Because the combat is good? Fuck off, action rpgs often have combo based combat.
>>
>>385475507
It's a Platinum game with Platinum combat. It's not a big surprise people compare it to other Platinum games.
>>
>>385475726
It isn't surprising, but it's also a little unfair seeing as Nier is much less focused on its combat overal, and tries to mix up the formula with bullet-hell-esque elements and camera variants. I think overal the game would better with levels cut out-- they don't really add anything to the game except a weird veneer of RPG and trivalizing previous content. As it stands, it's definitely an RPG as the levels do matter to your power level.
>>
>>385464870
>Yeah no, the lack of lock on is pretty obviously a flawed idea of how to make the game harder
I just beat the game entirely on hard and had no problems with doing enough damage without using ranged attacks at all unless I really needed them.
Between how easy it is to get a +50% damage chip early on and the cheap cost of +melee damage buffs the lack of shitty pod dps is not a problem.
>>
File: 1501076873196.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1501076873196.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>385459252
>playing on hard
>games pretty good
>really enjoying it
>little difficult but I haven't died
>paying attention to make sure I block at the right time always
>1 hour later
>get to 1st real boss fight
>get him down to half health without taking any damage
>he starts breaking the floor underneath me
>3rd break
>rises up
>game just freezes
>I can move my character but this faggot won't attack me and I can't shoot
>Shota boy is just statically flying
>Have to restart all over again and see if it's going to be a continual thing since I pirated it
hahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1410960759906.jpg (30KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1410960759906.jpg
30KB, 960x960px
>>385477145
>play through the 'intro'
>game crashes at the cutscene before the bunker
>delete game
>download better version
>play for 8 hours without issues
>'oh boy I really like this game'
>finish up the forest castle boss
>PC freezes during a quick save
>lose save
>everything freezes from time to time because of the latest FUCKING WINDOWS 10 UPDATE
>>
I play this game on easy and I Don't give a fuck :)
>>
>>385466759
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_QcczWj18

it likely missed for many
>>
>>385477712
>download the nosteam version
>computer crashed before full download was complete
>first time starting it it goes to the ocean scene where all the fags get shot down because they're scrubs
>only shows the ocean and the "moving forward effect"
>next time try to start the game after giving it the patch
>MC is flying without a mech suit like a fucking bird with her arms out to the side and her legs straight
>redownload give it the patch again
>what happens happens within my last post
What version are you using?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.