[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boring and safe rosters in cross-over games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Why do so many cross-over fighting games have such limited range from games franchises?

Instead of having 3-5 characters from the same IP, why not take a character from a different game/franchise instead?

Some examples of bad choices from rosters:

>MvC 3 : Viper (Seriously, who wanted her) and Trish instead of Asura (Asura's Wrath) and Monster Hunter
>Smash Bros: Robin and Corrin instead of Chibi Robo or Wonder Red

You get the idea. Why not make more fans happy instead of making the current fans happier? It's been proven that especially Smash Bros is a great way to expose new games to players
>>
>>385456454
Some combination of Director desires and Corporate influence. Basically they compromise what the guy in charge wants versus what focus testing says is best for profits.

This generally means your favorite character gets shafted for flavor of the month shit regardless of how much people beg for them. See pic related.
>>
>>385456454
Platcucks got Bayo. They don't deserve a second rep.

Also singling out Robin rather than Lucina and Roy, literally what?
>>
>>385457165
I don't have anything against Ridley but how would he work in Smash?

>>385457289
Lucina and Roy are clones so they take way less time than a whole new character
>>
>>385457289
>Roy

bringing back Roy is totally for the fans though.

Not for FE fans, but for people that played Melee (and don't hate Smash4.)
>>
File: 1491710747155.gif (204KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1491710747155.gif
204KB, 500x375px
>>385457165
This, but not as cynical. In the case of Smash, Sakurai has this method where he "sees" how the characters play in his head and bases their moveset off of that.
Generally, an IP might have more characters that have easier to make/more potentially interesting and fun movesets compared to just limiting themselves to one character per franchise. And, of course, fans of popular franchises would probably expect said franchise to get more than one character.
>>
>>385456454
Because "boring and safe" also means "making the most people happy," as much as I hate to admit it no one wants to play as Andy from Advance Wars besides me.
>>
Games development is more complicated than "decision x would make more people happier than decision y".

And as far as the Smash Bros example, that game's roster will never satisfy everyone. No matter how wide-reaching they go, some player will want someone who isn't in the game.
>>
>>385457674
I just think they should take more risks

Nintendo even considered cutting away Roy and Marth from Melee overseas because nobody knew what FE was back then

But then they noticed that it seriously paid off
>>
>>385457535
Too bad very few such people exist.
>>
File: super ridley.png (217KB, 1065x676px) Image search: [Google]
super ridley.png
217KB, 1065x676px
>>385457430
The same way Captain Falcon, ROB, Olimar, Palutena, Little Mac, Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, Koopalings, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-man, and Villager work: a little imagination, a gimmick, or just a solid moveset.

It's clear they had something in mind looking at the other m stage hazard. I have a ton of ideas for a moveset involving being in the air most of the time or having an up B like Brawl Pit's and focusing his moves around using it, but I can't see how it would be hard to translate Ridley into a fighter. He even has a fuckton of designs you can pick from if you need a better body type.
>>
>>385457165
>ridleyfag
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.