[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, how long does it take to get good at fighting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 23

File: cvs2.jpg (319KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cvs2.jpg
319KB, 960x1280px
Realistically, how long does it take to get good at fighting games starting from nothing?
>>
File: 5 minutes.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
5 minutes.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>385451624
5 minutes.
>>
20 hours.

Exploring Fighting Games: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj34EySs1IeZLdaLTIoMvkoMkxUk2l74A
>>
>>385451814
I've played about 300 by now and used a ton of guides and shit and I'm still fucking garbage though. I even watched that, watch replays of me, watch tourney footage, but it's a grind and I want to know what hour mark people start to "get it".
>>
>>385452415
Play against better people.
Start watching better people.
Watch tournaments.
>>
1000 hours
>>
it's not how long you practice but the quality of how you practice. this is the same for everything. most of your matches are gonna depend on things like reaction, how you react to certain things like wake-up dps, how much damage you'll trade if you do a certain move, etc.

literally depends on how you practice.
>>
>>385451624

Took me about a month to get good at UFC and Fight Night. 2D fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Tekken etc. I fucking suck at no matter how much I play.
>>
>>385451624
In the neighborhood of 1000-3000 hours or a few years.
>>
>>385452893
I play against good people though and the games I play (vampire savior, super sf2 turbo, GG) are full of pretty dedicated players.
>>
Took me 8 years to get past beginner level. Now I'm ok but would still lose round 1 at a major tournament.
>>
Some people who play these games are both literally prodigies and have been perfecting their craft since 1990.

It really depends on your definition of the word "good"

If you want to win world championships, you have a insurmountable wall to climb.
>>
>>385451624
No ideal, i've played a bunch of fighting games for multiple hours and never truly got good. i suppose you also need some sort of talent to play at high level.
>>
literally depends on the game

if you start playing super turbo right now you'll be getting your dick kicked in by anyone good for a long time

if you start playing SF5 right now you could be platinum in a few months, at the very least. very very beginner friendly game
>>
If you're trained, it takes about a week. If you're doing it by yourself it takes about a month.

With a professional coaching you, it's really much faster. You get a feel for the game a lot earlier. If you are doing it by yourself then you're suceptible to all sorts of problems such as bad habits and repetitive playstyles.
>>
>>385452415
>300 hours and I'm still fucking garbage
Then fighting games clearly aren't your thing. It really shouldn't take that long to at least git gud.
>>
grind smart not hard
get a sparring buddy on the same level, and constantly improve different facets of your gameplay
>>
>>385451624
Months, possibly years. You need to be playing long training sessions every day. Playing online only against much better players than you, and you need to not play to win but play to execute what you've learned and learn the character your opponent is playing and learn how to adapt. Taking days off is a double edged sword, you'll either forget what you learned and start from scratch ALL OVER AGAIN, or it'll stick with you and it won't leave you. Also you'll have to stick to one character, unless you want to spend even MORE time learning two or three characters, then it will for sure take you well over a year to get good. You want to get to the point where you are comfortable in a fight and you're basically reacting to your opponents actions, you shouldn't be in a fight thinking "Fuck, he's blocking all my shit I have nothing left" you should know all the proper punishes and ways to work around your opponent.
>>
>>385451624
Depends on the game and it's learning curve, i think having started with SF2 was the best thing i could've done, that IA was insane though.
>>
>>385454576
I already do all of this
>>
More time than you should ever spend on something as pointless as video games, especially when the end goal is just "to be able to play with skilled players without instantly getting destroyed".
>>
>>385454164
Well yeah. Nuki was trained and whe went from noob to pro in less than six months. If you want to do it fast, just learn from someone better. But you have to also be serious and have fun.
>>
>>385451624
A long ass time. You have to get fundamentals down to muscle memory before you can really do any useful spacing, and that's not even counting how things change in certain matchups.
>>
>>385455943
keep doing it every day for a couple years. come back when youve put in 100k hours into it
>>
>>385455943
very likely you don't if you're still complaining.
>>
>>385451624
A couple years, and you'll always lose to people that have been playing longer. Stick to mobas and fps kid.
>>
>>385456383
>Stick to mobas and fps kid.

pssh nothin personnel kiiid

I never played a moba in my life and don't play fps
>>
You could learn a language in the same amount of time it'd take you. We're talking 90 minutes a day for a minimum of 1-2 years to become "alright", and you likely won't be at a high enough skill to actually compete for another 3 or so. It's up to you; you'll make some friends and have fun on the way, but you need to seriously consider if it's a worthwhile use of your time. It may sound like I'm exaggerating, but for any game that isnt NRS or SFV that timeframe is accurate.
>>
>>385456735
Learning the fundamentals of a fighting games is the hard part, not the combos and setups, that's just a barrier, pretty much.
It does apply to NRS games and SFV, the barrier for combos might me lower, but learning the game still takes time.
>>
>>385454576
I agree with a lot of this.
You don't have to stick to one character, though.
It's good to find your character, but don't limit yourself.
Ryu and Akuma play exactly the same to a novice but entirely different to a seasoned player.
Figure out if you play a shoto or a charge character. Figure out if you like combos or special moves. Figure out if you like the keep away game or command grabs.
>>
>>385457080
My point is more that SFV and NRS games have a lower skill ceiling, so you won't need to put quite as much time in to reach the higher-skilled players. Blazblue and Tekken for example have shit tons of stuff you have to get past before you can really apply fundamentals in a meaningful way. Tekken especially, due to execution requirements and needing to know the frame data and ranges for potentially thousands of moves to not be caught off-guard. SFV throws you fairly quickly into the fundamental mindgames, it strips all the other stuff for better or for worse.
>>
>>385457681
I agree, but it's mostly just the combos that are simpler in the case of SFV, Like I said before, that's a barrier, it doesn't affect the skill ceiling as much, since pro players have pretty much all combos down anyways.
>>
>>385452415
>three hundred hours
>ive spent 200 playing bf3 on console
still not enough. thinking there will ever be enough is a naive approach to begin with
>>
>>385451624
2 years.
>>
>>385457890
SFV is also slower and each character is much more limited. There's only one optimal way to play each character so it doesn't take long to learn them, or to learn to deal with them. In SF4 for example you could see a big difference in playstyle between two players' Ryus or Akumas, meaning each character had a more varied toolset and you didn't necessarily know how a fight was going to go purely by the matchup. SFV by design is easy to comprehend, so that depth is lost.
>>
>>385451624

At least a minimum of 500 games total.
>>
>>385458480
I disagree. In the only way you can see a clear lack of depth compared to earlier titles is in the combos, and there I agree with you.
The rest seem like the usual exaggerated complaints to bash on the game.
>>
Realistically a lot of time. You won't get good into anything you don't put any time in, so start playing if you are interested.

>>385459298
I am pretty sure that the last scientifically proven was 2500 total rounds.
>>
>>385459298
No, I'm well over 500 games in GG and only rank 25.
>>
>>385459690
Not at all. I've spent a significant amount of time on SFV, and defended it longer than anyone else I know IRL. I play Vega, and it saddens me to see the wasted potential with him. The only viable way you can play him is 90% claw-off, and rarely use his specials. His moveset is great, as is the new feel of his inputs and claw system, but the way they balance the game so strongly favours a specific playstyle (buffing 2-3 moves and pushing the rest into the ground, just look at his hurtboxes and normals range in claw-on) that it's pointless to try any other approach. Like I said, I tried my best to persevere but it's made worse with every balance update.
>>
>>385460302
Yeah, that is another complain that is quite reasonable, along with lack of combo creativity, the fact that pokes aren't strong enough and going for frame traps and other offensive tactics tends to be more effective.
Still, these aren't fundamental issues, in my opinion, as you said the balance patches have made some of it worse, which means they can also make it better. Hopefully they will?
>>
There's a reason they say the struggle is real
>>
>>385451624
It depends on how you learn, op.

What playstyle Suits you best?
Are you playing against the right people?
Are you enjoying the games you play? Even if you lose? Thats important, mate :0
>>
>>385455208
ST is disgustingly fun. Shits broken af.
>>
what is the best emulator for CvSNK 2?
>>
>>385455208
>Depends on the game

super turbo and vampire savior
>>
>>385460913
Just download Fightcade.
You can also play offline with it and have the option to play online if you ever want to.
>>
>>385461021
fightcade doesn't support cvs2 bud, what the fuck?
>>
>>385451624
Too long to be worth it, especially if certain skills require frame-perfect inputs. I burn out by the time I leave the "better than your average player but still not good" level.
>>
>>385461072
I can do 2f links no problem though, but don't even bother with 1f ones yet
>>
>>385461064
Yeah, my bad.
Apparently people use PCSX2.
>>
>>385452415
yeah that channel makes a bunch of bullshit videos. It takes about 2 years to get good at anything, playing daily for at least 3 hours I'd say. I say this from experience and from seeing others get good at anything not just games
>>
>>385461021
I'll tr-
>>385461064
Really? Fug.
>>
Post fightsticks
>>
Fighting games are not worth the time anymore. They are only good for couch play with friends but that shit doesn't happen anymore.
>>
File: mcpro[1].jpg (24KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
mcpro[1].jpg
24KB, 640x640px
>>385461387
I have the Arcade FightStick PRO by Mad Catz
RIP
>>
>>385461628
why rip?
>>
>>385461674
http://shoryuken.com/2017/03/31/mad-catz-files-for-bankruptcy/
>>
>>385461770
oh yeah madcatz is rip
thought you meant the stick was rip
have you modded yours?
>>
>>385461609
They are pretty much the only competitive genre left that hasn't became complete shit or died completely, even with Capcom being massive fuckups
>>
>>385451624
Took me half a year and I'm fairly decent, can beat most people online and understand everything
>>
>>385461628
There's no reason to feel sorry for Madcatz. They consistently shat out trash for fifteen years.
It's a wonder that they didn't go under sooner.
>>
>>385461853
>the only competitive genre left that hasn't became complete shit

Anon...
>>
>>385461834
My stick is mostly fine, the joystick itself acts out a bit sometimes. I haven't modded it.

>>385461916
Well, they were making good sticks at the end. I don't know about their other products but it seems they were trying to make it right.
>>
>>385451624
is the dreamcast on bottom left plug-in to the arcade?
>>
>>385451624
>starting from nothing?

Well you have to develop so you can be born first, that's 9 months usually. Then you have to learn elementary things like not soiling yourself, drinking and eating, walking on two legs, talking. Reading and writing is required too, because there are loads of written material available for the strategies available for any fighting games, at the most basic level the moves list, for example.
After that you have to put in a lot of practice. But as a child your reflexes and response times are not yet fully developed, so it could take until you are an adult. However you will also need to not forget about exercising your body, because your mind can only be so good if your muscles do not respond accordingly.

So "starting from nothing", somewhere between a decade and two.

If you are already an adult, then depending on your aptitude for fast-paced video games in general, as well as the what you consider to be "good" in the game, it could take anywhere from a few hours to months.
>>
>>385462087
>Well, they were making good sticks at the end

They didn't make the sticks. They assembled them. The TE's were made with Sanwa parts.
>>
>>385451624
The quickest way to git gud is to play with someone better than you DBZ style. Seek out strong opponents and make friends with them and play with them often.
>>
>>385462226
I know the parts were made by Sanwa, but that's not the point.
They were "producing", or whatever you want to call it, and puting out solid products.
>>
>>385459743
>>385459837

Nah it's about 500 games minimum really. What you're supposed to do is start with older Street Fighter games, specifically SF2 series like Hyper Fighting or ST for training up fundamentals that can transpose core tenets better into other fighters. The core systems of these games are simple enough to allow any style of play to learn that other games may not work as well. e.g Turtling is not so great in Guilty Gear and grappling game is not so strong in a Soul Calibur game.
>>
>>385451624
A gorillion matches of you getting your ass beaten to a pulp and a gorillion hours of watching your replays and practicing your inputs in between those matches.
>>
File: my stick.jpg (206KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
my stick.jpg
206KB, 1280x960px
>>385461387
i need an adapter or a ps4 board
>>
>>385462339
yeah cuz someone from the fgc told them they should do this and with xyz parts in mind otherwise they would not have shit.
>>
I really want a new fightstick but I already have two. I think modding them would be nice but I still can't shake the wanting a new fightstick.
>>
File: imafag.png (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
imafag.png
7KB, 223x226px
>>385451624
>tfw kind of want to try out KoF since they have a collab with the shitty mobage I play
Athena is cute
But the only FIGHTAN I've played is SC2 and the original MK.
>>
>>385462673
But they did it, didn't they?
It probably wasn't cheap, so they took a risk to make a proper product.
>>
I want to like fighting games but I just don't have enough pure autism to grind for 30 hours before I can start winning matches. Don't see how they could be enjoyable.
>>
>>385463009
Find another friend who doesn't play them and start playing with them.
Just have fun as both of you get better. You don't have to autistically practice to improve, just play and maybe try to learn a thing or two from youtube videos and matches in your free time.
>>
>>385463161
I don't have any friends that would play fighting games with me though. They are all too casual/poor/not gamers.
>>
>>385463397
I feel your pain. This right here is the real struggle.
>>
>>385461225
The idea that you just all of a sudden 'git gud' is a bad mindset. You always have more to learn, and there is always someone who is better at certain aspects or can still beat you at times.

The point is about the time and practice to become knowledgeable and competant enough to understand and make more meaningful decisions and move on from there, otherwise known as actually playing the game.
>>
>>385452893
>>385453262

I want to, but I can't learn how to deal with retarded players first.
>>
>>385462625
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffag
>>
>>385463894
you dont get my point, you get good you dont become the best. And when I gave a time frame it was obvious it wont happen on the last day, its common sense
>>
File: 1368283473743.jpg (19KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
1368283473743.jpg
19KB, 500x404px
>>385453736

>started with SFV on day 1
>highest I ever got was super silver
>kicked back to silver and never played ranked again

I guess fightans aren't for anyone.
>>
>>385464220
Yeah, you really don't want this to happen to you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0
>>
about like 3-5 years, maybe 1 if you're good
>>
>>385464774
if you have a scene*
>>
>Practice a little
>Start to get consistent execution of a few simple moves and one or two simple chains down
>Get shitstomped by button mashers
>>
>>385465014
Every time something fucks you up, go into training mode, replicate the situation and find an answer.
The game can't teach you how to think, you have to do that
>>
>>385465164

If only random players had any kind of pattern. I was anti airing a Guile everytime because I knew he would jump after two sonic boons, but you expect Ken players to do something similar only for them to backdash super or whatever the fuck will come out from their mashing.
>>
Does anyone think it'd be worth it if I decided to try to get into UMvC3 because I missed out on it due to being a poorfag?
>>
>>385465607
Yes but be prepared to get your shit pushed in by people like myself who have played it since it came out.
>>
>>385465558
Being able to quickly identify who you're playing against is a vital skill that's not often discussed.
It takes a certain mental strength to analyze the person behind the character and capitalize on that before the match is over.
>>
OP here, does anyone want to play super turbo or vampire savior so maybe someone can give me feedback on how I'm retarded, thanks
>>
What's the best one to start with? Just suggest one with a good online presence that has simple enough mechanics but ones that will transfer easily to other fighting games.
>>
>>385466174
SF5 is the only game that meets those criteria. That's usually how it is for every SF.
>>
>>385464418
I do get your point.
The thing is, is the video is just talking about beginners trying to get past being novices and the start of intermediate types of play.

Setting a goal to get good is purely subjective is what I see. If I get good enough to win a local, or be able to thrash a few select rivals online consistantly, it would reinforce in my head that I've gotten good and made my improvement goals. If I constantly compare my Slayer to Hase, I'll never be satisfied and just get burnt out. Making a piece of art doesn't mean you are a good artist by any means, but you don't need to make a masterpiece to be considered a skilled artist.
>>
>>385466174
Just pick any of the current ones and see which one's gameplay looks more interesting to you.
>>
>>385466174
ST
>>
>>385461021
i got 60 fps in training mode on dolphin playing on a laptop. theres some extra stuff in there too, like P groove getting a huge buff with special to super cancel and easy operation A groove. you can still make classic p groove with ex grooves and just ban EO locally.

idk about playing online
>>
>>385467952
doesn't the GC version not have RC though
>>
>>385460913

Dreamcast version
>>
>>385468991
ye. what are your intentions? playing online? playing casually? learning the game so you can play seriously when you have the chance?

try mame for the last one. hows dreamcast netplay? i know it's a thing, atleast
>>
>>385451624
There is no point even trying because a button mashing toddler will destroy you almost every time. The so-called experts refute this and laugh it off and say it's impossible... but then a button-mashing toddler kicks their ass
>>
>>385470010
>things that never happened
>>
>>385452415
Then you are not good to begin with?
You need at least 1% of potential, to grow
if you multiply by 0 you get 0
>>
>>385451624
I've been playing street fight since Turbo on the mega drive in 1991. I was 4 then, I'm now 29. That's 25 years of playing games. In all honesty, I'm competent. Not spectacular, not gifted, just a guy who could hold his own against talented opponents. I am more than I lose. Maybe I'm selling myself short, but I haven't made any money.

So yeah, 25 years.
>>
>>385451624
depends if you have anyone to learn with and if you plan to use external sources like guides and tutorials.
>>
So thanks to SFV's lenient inputs, whenever I'm moving forward and want to throw a hadouken, I end up firing off a dragon punch because the game stores my previous moving forward input and inputs forward down forward. Is there a trick to keep this from happening?
>>
>>385471097
This happened in SFIV too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOP9fNOMFRM
>>
>>385451624
There's no definitive correct answer. It just boils down to how good the quality of the info you take in is. And also, there's nothing wrong at all with playing multiple games, characters, etc. But if you want to reach the level where you can be looked at as someone capable of EVO, you'll probably be better off with just one or two games. Just find what works with you, don't automatically assume because previous methods haven't worked then nothing will.
>>
File: 1437158152494.png (151KB, 233x375px) Image search: [Google]
1437158152494.png
151KB, 233x375px
Well fighting games are literally 3 things.

1. Muscle Memory for inputs
2. Reaction time
3. Ability to predict opponents

These 3 things determine how good you are at the game in question. Muscle memory is just developed by practicing with a character a lot and sitting in practice mode to work on combos and inputs. This will probably take a minimum of 20 hours of dedicated practice per character to develop.

Reaction time is something you'll just have to work on yourself. Do things that utilize reaction time a lot, and improve your diet and health too. No idea how long it would take to develop it to the point of being "good."

Ability to predict is pretty must just playing people online and getting used to how players think and act. Again, no idea how long it will take. Expose yourself to more and better players.

Best thing you can possibly do to improve yourself is record your games and review them after you're finished. See what you did right and wrong and how you can improve. Do this with pro players games too and see what they're like.

tl:dr git gud
>>
>>385451624

You can become okay in a couple months.

Takes a couple years to start really understand proper play.
>>
File: IMG_4417.gif (825KB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4417.gif
825KB, 500x203px
>>385472978
Okay but what if your brain is basically dial-up and you have the reaction time of a lazy dog and memory of a goldfish?
>>
File: 1431973825653.png (7KB, 191x234px) Image search: [Google]
1431973825653.png
7KB, 191x234px
>>385474330
Practice. You won't get to the point where you're happy with it unless you consistently practice at your best. Push yourself until you get better.

You can always improve yourself.

I believe in you.
>>
File: t h e b e s t.jpg (34KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
t h e b e s t.jpg
34KB, 700x525px
>>385461387
>2017
>still using a fighstick
>not using the best controller ever made because you you're the poorest of poorfags and you bought it 4 years ago to play Touhou but it's actually okay for playing most fighting games
>>
>>385474851
>not playing touhou with fightstick
shmups were meant for arcade anon.
>>
>>385471097
No. You have to learn how to manually reset to neutral.
>>
>>385451624

Define good, otherwise your question can't be answered.
>>
>>385475628
top 64-32 at majors, higher in niche games
>>
>>385475007
did you miss the part where I'm poor
Sega Saturn pads have perfect d-pads and are like <40 dollars for a controller and adapter
>>
>>385475628
1 year of autistic dedication.
>>
>>385475696

That isn't something the average player could ever be guaranteed to do, so the question still can't be answered.

You're talking the top 0.1%.
>>
>>385472978
20 hs to learn a character? Try 200. Learning match ups is also part of learning the character.
>>
>>385451624
it's long road, but you should be fine as long as TRUE LOVE IS WHAT YOU KEEP MAKING
>>
>>385475696
It's not just a matter of practice. Some people are just more naturally talented.
Some people might not be able to place that high even when dedicating a lot of time into these games because they just don't have the innate ability to be that good.
>>
>>385475835
/v/ likes to confuse good with excellent, to either inflate their ego's, or as an excuse to not bother so their ego's aren't questioned.
>>
>>385475920
I'm talking purely memorizing inputs and various combos. Obviously 20 hours isn't enough to master a character, but it's about long enough to reliably use one.
>>
Honesty fighting games are one of the few genres that have a cap where you can not get better than you already are. You have to be honest with yourself if fighting games aren't for you. That being said Tomo and Punk got to evo finals being 3-4 years in the FGC.
>>
>>385466174
melty blood is free and the basis for every anime fighter in existence
>>
>>385452415
>>385461225

Its not bullshit. 20 hours is as long as it takes to learn the basics of your character, basic day one combos (day one isn't a misnomer) and get you in the position to play the game against other people. You're confused because you think being good means being tourney ready.
>>
>>385466174
UNIST is solid mechanically and has mechanics that are present in almost any 2d fighter, while being one of the easiest anime fighter to learn. for 3d there aren't any really easy ones to learn but tekken 7 is decent.
>>
>>385476750
Thats for sfv though. Plus, punk plays fighters like a punk lol. He would find ways to upset or disrespect in and out of the game and thats the meta he chose. A nigga could be playing on emotion while punk wants you to get emotional, correct your mistake and take your lunch money.
>>
>>385477491
T7 is a good place to start. 3d fighters have a different meta and the footies and spacing game changes greatly. A simple backdash is not gonna help compared to sf, gg, or vsav.
>>
>>385477698
I disagree. SFV doesn't necessarily have a lower skill ceiling.
I think what he meant is that in fighitng games there's a cap for how good YOU can get at them, which honestly happens with any other game, but maybe it's more evident with fighting games.
Also Punk is like a prodigy, he's really good. He doesn't just win because he upsets his opponents, his play is just ridiculous.
>>
>>385453912
>coaches for videogames
what the fuck happened to the world?
>>
>>385477479
I'd say once you have the output down(using a dpad or stick efficiently), learn all basic moves and when to use them, all your combos you're pretty much solid to start learning by playing.
>>
where the hell do you buy a fightstick?
everywhere ive looked are out of stock
>>
File: DBGeII-XgAA6cXn.jpg (29KB, 388x262px) Image search: [Google]
DBGeII-XgAA6cXn.jpg
29KB, 388x262px
>>385452415
Same, but I'm still going!
>>
>>385478998
ebay, SRK forums, amazon, official websites. come on man there's a lot of places you can buy from
>>
>>385452415
Are you just playing online and doing something else? Thats not an efficient way to learn any skill, you need to watch how the good players do it and try to get feedback from people who are better than you. Record yourself playing and watch the footage so you can criticize how you did too.
>>
>wanting to get good in a fighting game
Trust me OP, it is NOT worth it. First in that you need to put in a lot of work just to not drown in pools. Second thing is if you wanted to be decent at a game that has strong scene, it'll be over since it takes a lot of time

Don't be like those retards. Most hobbies are better then competitive gaming
>>
>>385478998
newegg has the rap 4
>>
File: GGSTICK_1_1024x1024.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GGSTICK_1_1024x1024.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>385461387
I've got this stick with mechanical buttons and phreakmods the link but I've been using my all seimitsu hrap4 lately.

I also have a custom stick but I haven't used that since evo last year.
>>
>>385479569
>>385479590
is the hrap4 easy to mod?
wanna get a seimetsu stick and a jlf and try the two.
also looking to try 2lb spring and thicker actuator with an octogate.
>>
>>385479590
That's a nice looking stick, my dude.
>>
>>385479847
Yeah. I haven't messed with a stick that wasn't easy to mod.

To me the difference between sanwa and seimitsu joysticks feel like it's just the shaft. Feels like the seimitsu ones are shorter and have less space between the shaft and the microswitches but that might just be me.
>>
>>385479993
Only bad thing about it is that there's no compartment to put the cord in. Otherwise it's a great stick. I love all the wrist room is has.

I really like how you take the art off from the front but sadly that means the "plexi" glass holes has to be a bit bigger for the buttons and dirt gets in it a lot easier cause of it.
>>
>>385476246
I honestly think most people who ask this question are naive because they have not played against many strong players
>>
File: dunning-kruger-0011[1].jpg (106KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
dunning-kruger-0011[1].jpg
106KB, 640x320px
>>385480751
Yep.
>>
>>385481094
This is pretty accurate. Learned with my bro just offline for like half a year after being intimidated. Jump online after I feel like I learned so much, just to get destroyed.

Although I feel like there is much more than just one slump or plateau along the way in fighting games.

Been playing for about 3 year now, and while I can sometimes destroy people or put up a fight with people who are better than me, I know I'm not as consistant and have much more to improve before I can say I roll around 50-50 with them.
>>
File: 1442584554296.gif (377KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1442584554296.gif
377KB, 200x200px
>>385462625
That's a cool ass stick nice work anon
>>
>>385451624
20 years
>>
>play fighters with a bunch of friends
>they're always just better enough that i lose to them 90% of the time
>never win because we improve at similar rates
i'm probably getting better at the game but the endless losing doesn't do much to keep me motivated
>>
>>385472978
>Well fighting games are literally 3 things.
>1. Muscle Memory for inputs
>2. Reaction time
>3. Ability to predict opponents

But that's fucking wrong. You've completely left out the entire premise of the mind game, and "ability to predict opponents" is not a good enough descriptor. There is also the massive amount of studying necessary to know match-ups.
>>
File: IMG_4623.jpg (35KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4623.jpg
35KB, 500x350px
>>385461387
I've been using this for ages now
>>
>have friend
>Very competitive
>Wants to be great at fighting games but has obviously reached his limit
How do I break it to him before he loses money on stupid shit
>>
>>385482901
get a better one, it'll feel a world of difference
>>
>>385483130
I like this one though
>>
File: 1493859210861.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493859210861.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>385461770
>I had the SSFIV SE Fightstick
>sold it for $50
>see this post
>realize I could have held onto it for a decade or so and sold it for much more
FUCK
>>
>>385483271
Have you tried others ? Is this your first stick? Because that stick is shit compared to a Qanba or Hori
>>
>>385484027
But it is a Hori stick
>>
>>385460913
NullDC, the thing was literally built for fighting games:

>CvSNK 1 and 2
>MvC 1 and 2
>Street Fighter 3rd Strike
>Rival Schools
>Power Stones
>SoulCalibur
>Jojo's
>KoF
>>
>>385483130
You're wrong about that, anon. I've used all the great arcade sticks in the world and at the end of the day the differences are vastly over-rated. The Hori FS3 is a perfectly fine stick.

The only criticism I'd have of it is it's not got a big footprint. I taped mine to the top of an old VCR for stability (I play crosslegged in the floor).
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (249KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
249KB, 1600x1200px
>>385461387
SOMEBODY buy my fuckin' HRAP EX I have had on ebay for ages now. It's sitting at $70 with free shipping. Do you people hate quality?
>>
>>385483064
Everyone hits slumps. It's weather they figure out the problem and fix it, or let it stagnate. As long as he stays genuinely determined, he'll find a way to push through.

If not, as long as he enjoys the game, it's never a waste.
>>
>>385484343
Fucked up how most of those ended up becoming the worst ports of those games too
>>
I played for years and was trash. But then one day i realized that fundamentals are the most important thing. Period. Spacing, AA'S, and combo efficiency take you a long way. Until high level play that is. Then you need to learn frame data and matchups, but realize that 90% of the player base know nothing of these things. So its not a concern for you. Know where and when you should something is the goal.
>>
>>385485151
What do you mean? they were direct ports from the arcade machines since the Dreacast was built around the NAOMI architecture.

However, the PS2/Xbox ports were actually the worst versions of the games, they had alot of bugs and slowdowns.
>>
>>385485456
There's a lot of info out there about them but I remember 3S on DC being the worst version cause a lot of frames were cut to fit space so some moves ended up different and I think it used the 3S version 2 board for the port which is the version no one played.

The PS2 version of 3S was the go to if you couldn't get arcade set up. Only thing wrong with that one was the speed of the game.

I know the mvc2 and SC ports are fine.
>>
>>385485807
Tru that.

Still, i think the Dreamcast was overall the superior machine, not only it had fighting games but also had other ports that were staright upgrades from the arcades, like Samba de Amigo and Space Channel 5.
>>
>>385477970
video game playing at a high level became profitable
>>
File: 1474251946187.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1474251946187.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>385486782
>you will never become a pro vidya player and earn money
>>
>>385451624
10,000 hours. Whether that's over 20 or 2 year doesn't really matter.

I played fighting games up to the level just below the elite players. The highlight of my fighting game "career" was taking a single round of ST off of Daigo.
>>
>>385487097
was he playing boxer or guile
>>
>>385485807
>3S on DC being the worst version cause a lot of frames were cut to fit space so some moves ended up different
That's not true at all. There are gameplay differences, but all the frames are there.
>>
>>385487163
Boxer, and so was I.
>>
>>385487270
My bad it was a change to frame properties like chun's cr.mk being -1 on hit and also having less cancelable frames.

Must have gotten it confused with a different game. Either way the DC version is a mess better to stay away from it.
>>
It's not about how hard you work but how smart you work. Most western players just focus on gimmicks so they never improve. You are probably doing the same. Your goal should be to improve not to win. You want to be able to win through solid gameplay not just abusing someone's lack of knowledge. Also it depends on your definition of good. If you want to be able to win EVO it will take you years and years to place top 8. If you just want to beat most people online, then a couple of years probably. The people that you are losing to have most likely been playing the game for much longer than you, so they have experience on their side as well. All in all focus on being able to play as honestly as possible and then see what you did wrong and try to improve that. Like if you notice you keep getting jumped on, maybe you should go practice anti-airing. But if you lose, you shouldn't say "man I need to practice more set ups or dirtier mixups." If you focus on playing as simply as possible, you can slowly build yourself up.
>>
>>385487528
UNGA

BUNGA
>>
>>385487828
>Most western players just focus on gimmicks so they never improve.

this is 90% of online players. its a fucking chore playing against these retards.
>>
>>385475696
>good
>top100
>top 50
nigga what? there are 2 thousands of people who know what their doing that don't make it out of pools. theres just that much skill in fightan that allows the top 100 to be so dominate
>>
>>385489127
not talking about sfv, I mean like more niche games
>>
File: duane.gif (719KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
duane.gif
719KB, 480x320px
>>385461387
>mfw waiting for my Qanba Obsidian to arrive so it can replace my 8 year old Madcatz TE
>>
>>385489004
This is why I heavily dislike online and tend to rage at it. Win or lose its not satisfying to lose against a gimmick fest. It's a big part of why I stopped playing SFV online.

Locals will always and forever be the GOAT for playing fightan, but as a niche genre those are always hard to find.
>>
>>385489297
sfv is probably the easiest game to achieve that. Less people competing doesn't mean that you will have an easier time competing. Are you playing niche game because you think it will be easier to become "pro"? You're a retard if you think that.
>>
>>385486984
Speak for yourself
>>
>>385489664
Playing overwatch doesn't count
>>
>>385489718
I'm a professional Farmville player u pleb
>>
Instantly if you know how to play video games
>>
>>385489567
> Less people competing doesn't mean that you will have an easier time competing
>sfv is probably the easiest game to achieve that
Completely wrong.
More people = more competition. More competition = more great players.
>>
>>385489816
suck my cock you turbonigger, i'm a pro pokemon player
>>
>>385489941
>power save
Fuck competitive pokemon
>>
>>385489825
more people = more people, not more great players.
>>
>>385489981
requieres mor skill than ur button masher fighting games
>>
File: 1408766629601.png (11KB, 295x310px) Image search: [Google]
1408766629601.png
11KB, 295x310px
>beat all 10 trials with a character in SFV for the first time today
I'm learning
>>
>>385490039
to each their own. I can't get into it. I won't cheat and outside of cheating, everything takes forever to accomplish
>>
>>385489369
are you gonna mod it
>>
>>385490016
More people = more people of all skill levels. That includes great players.
That's why the competition for older games is not as interesting now compared to their prime, because most of the players left to newer games, which means that most of the best players left too.
>>
>>385490047
Vol. 1 or 2?
Most Vol. 1 are pretty easy (maybe not for a beginner, obviously) but some Vol. 2 are genuinely pretty hard.
>>
>>385490139
Probably not. I was going to put silent sanwas in it so it wouldn't be loud as fuck, but apparently the feel of them are weird and it doesn't make it that much quieter anyways.

Maybe I'll splurge for some art if I find something I really like.
>>
>>385490264
vol 1 unfortunately
>>
File: 1438368653636.png (108KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1438368653636.png
108KB, 300x300px
>>385490264
>Vol. 2 Karin and Chun trials
>>
>>385490291
Good job, regardless.
Keep at it.

>>385490387
Yeah, those were fun. It's nice to have some of those, since SFIV had some fucked up trials and it was fun having to grind out a trial like in that game.
>>
File: IMG_1400.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1400.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>385461387
Had this one for a while.
>>
>>385462796
KoF is a really hard game to learn, since you have to learn 3 characters at the same time.
>>
>>385451624
Many, many thousands of hours.
>>
Really it only takes one afternoon of learning the fundamentals, learning to block and learning a b&b combo to wreck 90% of the scrubs you'll ever meet.
>>
>>385451624
we'll find out when dragonball fighter Z comes out cause i'm going to play it
t. put 20~ hours into MvC2 and a hundreds into smash
>>
>>385490790
At the same time universal mechanics are strong in Kof and basic combos are easier than in most other games.
>>
first you need to understand the game engine, every fighting game runs on frames, etc. Learn your character's moves and the combo system. You should be able to know the buttons used in a match you're watching, understand that fighting games are turn based games.

second you need to learn what the "good" moves are, and their uses. This goes across all games too and you should be able to recognize things games copy from each other. If you switch games after being decent in one, you're at a head start on the new game, because you only need to learn 20% of the game that's unique.

third, after all that experience from playing for several hours, you'll have muscle memory and you can start playing for the matchup, and learning things DURING a fight. Before you get to this phase, you need to set a framework otherwise you're just pressing buttons, which is fun, but if you want to get good it isn't productive. Each game would have a different frame work but here's an example:
What's my anti air?
What are the 2 hit combos I must use? Short combos are way more important, and you need to be using the same few combos every time. it sounds boring but its important.

By far the most important thing is consistency, you need to play what appears as "boring". Do the same combo every time, not the best combo, not the top damage combo, the combo you can DO. anti air with the same normal, and play the SAME CHARACTER FOR AT LEAST 50 HOURS. The number one reason why people don't get good is they jump around characters not letting anything stick and not adhering to consistent principles.
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.