[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

File: header.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
Am I pleb? I enjoy trying new games and giving myself a challenge, but fuck this game just gave me a headache trying to play it. I've played RE 4,5,6 and 7 and they were all good games, but I had yet to play the original. I went ahead and played this on the hardest difficulty with the original control scheme to get that "patrician" experience and holy fuck the controls are so fucking bad. It feels like I'm playing fucking QWOP with a controller. Even MGS1 had more accessible controls than this game. On top of it, I spent like 2 hours running around and trying to progress in the story without looking up a walkthrough or anything, but instead I was basically just running in circles the whole time. The backtracking in this game is excruciatingly annoying. Also, if you run out of bullets and defense tools, you're basically fucked. Am I missing something? Should I give this another chance? As I said, I like trying new things but this game has been nothing but frustration for me so far.
>>
>>385416164
Yes
>>
4/5 still had controls not much different from ye olde tank controls, didn't they?
>>
>>385416164
Just use the new controls
I just finished both characters on hard this week for the first time and it was a great experience. Also, focus more on avoiding rather than attacking monsters. Also, if you let monsters get close to you, use the shotgun and point up then shoot. This almost always gives you a headshot.

On my second playthrough I managed to kill almost every single monster and I had so much ammo left it wasn't even funny anymore.
>>
>>385416164
>Am I pleb?
You're posting on /v/, the answer is yes.
>>
>RE 4,5,6 and 7
>they were all good games
Now that's a b8, m8.

Take a (You).
>>
>>385416164
the game has aged terribly. to modern standards, its just ok. if you werent around when the game was in its prime then theres no shame in just saying fuck it im not enjoying this.

as a newfag to survival horror (earliest survival horror game i ever played was dead space 2 in 2011) i picked up the remaster hearing everyone talking about muh pure survival horror and was honestly amazed at how retarded people are. you can literally just run past 95% of the zombies and by the end of it i had hundreds of pistol rounds and dozens of shotgun shells left. muh pure hardcore horror my ass.
>>
use the 2d controls and don't make it more harder on yourself than necessary

also don't let other faggots itt dissuade you from playing a good game just because they're retarded
>>
>>385416680
>Resident Evil
>hardcore
Don't know who told you that but he was obviously having a giggle. Every single Resident Evil and even Silent Hill game throw you ammo like candy.
>>
>>385417109
pretty much every "retro" gamer on the internet.

i now know not to trust those cancerous faggots in anything that comes out of of their mouthbreathing snouts, but i fell for the meme. they kept going on about how 'pure survival horror' it was and how 're4 kiddies' would find it too hard.
>>
>>385417109

I'm a huge REfag but the one bad thing I have to say about the games is how much ammo they actually end up giving you. All you have to do is spend the first part of the game e.g. the mansion or police station dodging as much as possible. After that you can spam as much as you like.

If they actually did properly limit the ammo you got, it'd be perfect.
>>
File: image.gif (582KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
582KB, 500x405px
>>385416680
>the game has aged terribly

REMINDER: GAMES DO NOT AGE. YOU AGE. IT WAS YOU WHO CHANGED.
>>
>>385417347
>GAMES DO NOT AGE
I don't get it, do you actually believe this?
>>
Don't waste your bullets, no normal zombie that doesn't completely block your way is worth shooting, check which control settings works for you best and check every corner, you need every supply you'll find and it helps you find the puzzle items you need. Read flavor texts as they can offer you some help.
>>
>>385417343
>If they actually did properly limit the ammo you got, it'd be perfect.
This is LITERALLY what the evil within was, it was just an RE clone where you could actually run out of bullets and yet people still shit all over it because it was cool to.
>>
>>385417410
Do you belive otherwise? Games remain constant. Only your perceptions about what is acceptable changed. I first played Silent Hill 1 three years ago. I played it in that context and it was fantastic. Went on to play SH3 for the girst time and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I do not blame others for every game not being either an FPS, over shoulder TPS or souls game.
>>
>>385417623
>Only your perceptions about what is acceptable changed.

This guy is 100% correct in this.
>>
File: 149668448484332.jpg (38KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
149668448484332.jpg
38KB, 640x628px
>>385416164
>I-if I make my game as inaccessible as possible is it patrician???

No you fucking idiot. Clearly you're not enjoying the game if you automatically set everything to be as user-unfriendly as possible and then you feel it's a chore to play the game. There is literally nothing wrong with tailoring the game to make it more enjoyable for you. It makes me sad that people on /v/ actually have developed the mindset that the game is better if it's harder and if it drives "normies" away.
>>
>>385416164
>if you run out of bullets and defense tools, you're basically fucked.
I haven't played the original RE games, but from my understanding that's sort of the point in RE1-3, if you can't manage your resources well, then you're shit out of luck and unfit to survive the horror in these survival horror games.
>>
>>385417623
>Only your perceptions about what is acceptable changed.
wow this is the most pretentious thing ive read in a while, been watching lots of pro-fessional game critics on youtube telling you what to think, huh faggot? NO it is not just me, my opinion and perceptions of what is acceptable changing is NOT of my own accord but according to how the culture/media evolves over time, YES rendering some games totally unplayable or trash over the course of time. FAGGOT.
>>
3 > 1 > 2 in my humble and honest opinion
>>
>>385418003
2>3>1 for me
>>
>>385417863
This. Bunch of self felatting faggots. I love REmake, but don't fucking force yourself, whwn you could better spend your time elsewhere. I remember seeing a thread where an anon was dissapointed in his first play of Bayonetta on PC and that it was not as good as MGR for hum, he said:
>"obviously, before i had enourmous respect for the series given its third person action pedigree, but now..."
The fucking faggot assumed he had better hold it in high regard because /v/ fucking told him to.
>>
>>385417995
wew lad you just have shit tastd that's all
>>
>>385417995
No. Thats literally all on you. You seem to think people are as baseline dumb as you are being right now.
>>
REmake isn't that good and loses what made the original special
>>
>>385418274
...What?
>>
>>385418472
soul.
>>
>>385416242
first post best post
>>
>>385416680
>dead space 2
>survival horror

Why do I even come back to this place
>>
>>385417995
>i can't possibly form my opinions i need the media to do that for me

Wot
>>
>>385417347
Games age because better and more fluent games come out every day, old stuff is inevitably going to feel clunky and ugly.

Don't be a contrarian nostalgiafag, no one likes them.
>>
>>385418649
Yep here it is, the piece of shit douchebag spouting how "pure survival horror" RE is while anything with the slightest bit of bang is not survival horror by default.

Again, I just booted up the game, had 132 pistol shots left, 48 shotgun shells near the end playing on hard difficulty. Wow, such survival horror. Talk all the shit you want about dead space 2 but i remember barely scraping by on hardcore difficulty on that game, but it was actually challenging in how you couldn't just casually walk past all the zombies in it, unlike re1
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 1155x692px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 1155x692px
>>385418765
>Games age because better and more fluent games come out every day, old stuff is inevitably going to feel clunky and ugly.

Thats not always true though, none of the most recent Silent Hill games that came out during gen 7 look or play better than a Silent Hill game that came out in 2003. MANY games today don't look as good as SH3 did. Then there are other examples, look at Undertale, the graphics are old but nobody cared. It was a big PC seller in 2015.
>>
File: a92.png (121KB, 680x579px) Image search: [Google]
a92.png
121KB, 680x579px
i have an idea

I kinda wish someone made some kind of roguelite inspired by OG RE. Since the best part of the old game is exploring, item hunting, and being uncertain of what lies ahead, it'd be cool to have a game that actually takes that to its maximum instead of having a single scenario to speedrun repeatedly.

>have areas that remain structurally the same but act as hubs or containers/receptables for necessary keys
>the space between areas is mix-n-matched with modular room/passage layouts
>non-essential rooms might be locked and require expendable keys to access
>enemy placement and non-essential items change every time
>if the player goes rambo too hard, worse monsters start appearing and can spawn via jumpscares where the player backtracks
>a recurring boss enemy may roam the map, in the same way as Nemesis or the Xenomorph in Alien: Isolation
>everything else is pretty much just original RE in mechanics

Basically, picture a large area like the RE1 Mansion or RE2 Police Station but with voids inserted into it that can be filled by pretty much anything to keep each session fresh and hard to predict. With these additions the resource management, route planning, and sense of dread of what's ahead could be magnified way beyond the original games.

could be decent
>>
>>385416164
>holy fuck the controls are so fucking bad.
No mate.
It's in fact YOU who is bad at games.

>only played the literal shooters of the series
and you wonder why people call your generation a pack of casuals?
>>
>>385419054
you're practically describing a more HC version of this indie-game called "Vaccine", which is mimicking PS1 era RE graphics and gameplay style.
>>
>>385419063
This guy is spot on.
>>
>>385419063
>>385418649
>>385418165
this is why everybody under the ripe age of 30 hates re1 because you boring douchebags are just incapable of admitting its not exactly as 'hardcore' as you think it is

game design has moved on and re1 is easy as fuck, just boring nowadays. take off your nostalgia goggles you dumb faggots.
>>
File: 14625871425.jpg (28KB, 613x533px) Image search: [Google]
14625871425.jpg
28KB, 613x533px
>>385419010
>MANY games today don't look as good as SH3 did
What the hell are you smoking? SH3 looks like blurry garbage just like every other PS2 game. Try playing any game that was released the past decade.
>>
Just emulate Resident Evil 2 if you want to try a classic style RE. It's faster paced and has shorter more varied areas as well. It'll probably fit your tastes a bit better.
>>
>>385419212
Anon under 30 here. No one said it's hardcore faggot, they are calling you less than even casual for struggling with it. They are saying you are that sheltered by modern game devs that our casual is now your hard. It was never hardcore. Now, if you simply don't like it, thats fine, but if it's just you being a shitter because it doesn't control exactly like all your other games since 2007, then tough luck.
>>
>>385416164
Nope, the game is just boring as fuck. The lame dad gamers that probably think Arma II is "fun" will try to defend it in saying that how boring it is means it's h4rdc0r3, but in fact it's just genuinely boring. The story sucks, you can just walk past every single zombie, there's shit loads of backtracking, this game has been obliterated by the passage of time and for whatever reason these lame fuckers will call you a casual for thinking it's a shitty boring game.

>never run out of ammo, even if you try to waste it on purpose
>exciting, scary horror game where you can just casually walk past every single zombie
>the story sucks
>the writing is really bad but not bad enough to be funny, just the boring kind of bad

this game sucks, don't let any lame dad try to make you feel bad for admitting it with their irrelevant opinon on what is 'pure game design'.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>385419220
I did. First played Silent Hill 1 three years ago, as stated earlier in this thread. First time, no nostalgia for the seires. Played it on orginal hardware too, a PS2. Nah, it really is just you faggot. Maybe stop emulating shit versions while sitting inches from your 24" monitor. Maybe sit at normal distance. You honestly think everyone thinks like you, don't you?
>>
>>385419220
>he doesn't use component cables

are you poor or just retarded, anon?
>>
>>385419161

Never heard of it. Is it any good? Looks university project-tier.
>>
File: 87146271.jpg (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
87146271.jpg
10KB, 256x256px
>>385419613
>seriously claims that a PS2 game looks better than modern games
We have reached a new level of contrarian.
>>
>>385419567
>these lame fuckers will call you a casual for thinking it's a shitty boring game.

No we won't, call it boring. Thats aubjective opinion, but don't make out it's unplayable because we all moved on, or thst we think resident fucking evil is "le hardcore" because it is not. In anything they are calling you less than casual, because Resident Evil was casual gaming for us in the 90's.
>>
>>385416329
ya that's the thing I never got. everyone bitches about tank controls in the first few RE games but 4 and 5 are the same way, they just changed the camera angles.

people need to get good
>>
File: image.png (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13KB, 640x480px
>>385419789
Here is a "modern game" anon. Came out just a couple of years ago and to great success. Guess no one gave a fuck about your ebin 4K standards
>>
>>385419916
Yeah, posting an indie game with retro pixel art direction is a great comparison.
>>
>>385419916
>Undertale

bait
>>
>>385420121
Point stands, no one gave a fuck about it's outdate graphics. You are making thr point that unless video games look like the Witcher 3 on ultra in 4K 140fps that nobody, anwhere, at all can even play it, let alone apreciate it.
>>
>>385419212
>this is why everybody under the ripe age of 30 hates re1
I'm not even 30.
But what are you, literally twelve? Because at your age, I was speedrunning through these games like a boss, unlocking them infinite launchers and 4th Survivor modes.
>>
>>385419916
Try something like GTA V, it's a massive sandbox yet it makes Silent Hill look like shite even though that game is a corridorfest.

Or how about LA Noire? That came out like 5 years ago.

I haven't seen a game that looks like a PS2 game in a decade, because we have better shaders/lighting and bigger textures and more polys to work with now.

You're trying too hard to be a special snowlake.
>>
>>385416164
>cant into tank
>cant into simple backtracking

Shame youll never get to experience Dino Crisis 1&2
>>
>>385420286
Pixel art doesn't get outdated, early 3D does.
>>
>>385419224
>forced tank controls
>even MORE zombies and shit right from the get go
>still no mission objective reminders and quest arrows
you really think OP would last even a minute?
Seriously now, REmake HD is the softest landing you can get to the classic RE formula, and it's also one of the greatest games ever to be released.

I just had a chance to witness a total survival-horror rookie pop his her RE cherry with REmake couple years ago, and she got very addicted, finishing the game 4 times in a row the following month. Even after that, the start of RE2 was quite challenging.
>>
>>385420349
Are you dumb? Obviously there is more compute power in modern games, but some anon in this thread is pretending we cannot play games before 2007 anymore ffs, and there are anons quite rightly telling him thry think he is full of shit.
>hurr durr, Resident Evil 4 came out in like 2005, it's unplayable trash now hurr

Fuck off
>>
Resident evil 1 wasn't good when it came out. Can't imagine for a younger person trying to play it now.

Resident evil kind of marks the birth of pc master race since it was hilariously laughable to watch people cum over RE when quake was out want was such a huge technical achievement
>>
>>385419789
Some of them literally do.
Take your typical Bethesda RPG, and try to tell me it has better texture and animation work than anything Team-Silent released in early 00s.
>>
>>385416164
you are shit at video games

find a new hobby
>>
>>385420489
Eh. I like it. Anyway, you are moving goalposts now, all it takes is some other autist to start crying "n-no 2D pixels are also shit now! You are just one of them snowflake!"
>>
>>385420584
>Resident evil 1 wasn't good when it came out
Sounds like (You) had not come out yet when RE was released. It was literally one of the first major blockbuster titles and system-seller games for the Playstation.
>>
>>385420546
The original anon was claiming that games do not age.

Obviously they do, because like you said hardware gets more powerful, games evolve every day, old games get worse every day.
>>
>>385420696
Ah, so the last of us of its time, basically. Did you even read my entire comment? Pc gamers were fucking laughing at this game. Tank controls while we're playing with the newly invented rocket jump.
>>
>RE6
>a good game

Yes you're a pleb and your taste is complete shit, congratulations
>>
>>385420704
>Obviously they do, because like you said hardware gets more powerful, games evolve every day, old games get worse every day.

But they don't. They stay the same, their context is fixed and does not change. You change. Tech does improve sure, but now you cannot re-release Final Fantasy VII without inbuilt cheats because they know they have spoiled the new gen in literally no time at all. Somethings are not improving anon, which is why all the kids these days think souls is super fucking hardcore because its a new game in the last 10 years that doesn't give a fuck what thry think, so they think "souls tier difficulty" is a thing.
>>
>>385416164
I haven't played RE1, but going by the image in the OP, I assume you are talking about REmake.

I didn't play this game until 2015, when I got it really cheap for the Gamecube and I was impressed by it. The game is designed around the tank controls. You just need to remember that A and D are to turn, not to move. Play with the modern controls if you really want to, but if you got your head around RE4 and RE5's controls, you should be able to understand RE1 / REmake's. It's the same movement, just not from over the shoulder.

As for backtracking, I assume that you are still in the Mansion. If remembering clues and the locations of unsolved puzzles are difficult, there is no shame in writing it down on a notepad or a sheet of paper.

As for the ammo problem... Other than the boss fights, almost the entire game is playable by not killing any enemies. Don't go in guns blazing. Save your ammunition for enemies that are in narrow corridors or places you will frequent. Just try to go around any enemies that are easily avoidable.
>>
>>385420798
>muh graffix
>muh "superior gameplay"
>muh peesee

Too bad this is a resident evil thread.
I'm also not the anon your having a hissy fit with just tired of both of your shit.

Anyone who says tank controls are bad is just bad at games. Dino crisis 2 is fun as fuck and way faster than re1 especially if your doing a max points run or minimal run.
>>
>>385420798
>Pc gamers were fucking laughing at this game

But nobody cared what "PC" was doing as usual, because "PC" always gets treated like a second class citezen. Did then, did now. They could have had the most game changing exclusive of all time and people would have still bought the PlayStation regardless. No gives a fuck about PC tears.
>>
>>385420798
>Pc gamers were fucking laughing at this game
they really were not. RE1's PC port was very warmly received, with the only major nitpicking being the fact that the game required a 3D card, no matter that it shouldn't really have had to.

sounds like (You) are just a single-genre worshipping mouth breather, and rewriting the history by thinking that ANYONE would even know about WASD+M or rocket jumping yet in 1996.
>>
>>385421109
>No gives a fuck about PC tears.
But you're on a PC right now, and you're shedding tears.
>>
File: image.gif (968KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
968KB, 245x200px
>>385421287
>but you are on a PC right now
>>
File: header.jpg (40KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
40KB, 460x215px
>>385419054
Might want to check this out. Haven't tried it myself, but it has been on my wishlist. Seems decent enough.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296710/Monstrum/
>>
>>385421660

Looks neat, thanks anon. I'll wishlist it for now cos I already have a few too many things on my backlog.
>>
>>385421660
its shit
>>
File: 1491450784979.png (78KB, 416x163px) Image search: [Google]
1491450784979.png
78KB, 416x163px
>>385418501
>>
Man, Silent Hill threads are so great why are RE threads such trash.
>>
>>385420349
>I haven't seen a game that looks like a PS2 game in a decade
you are blind then , because they hardly look different
>>
>>385416164
Its the best horror game of all time and also best remake. If you like 4, 5, 6 you are a massive faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 1268x818px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 1268x818px
>>385424436
Because of her anon.
>>
Is this how oldfags feel 8 years ago? Im so fucking sorry now I can see the true horror of people who literally just turn 18 or they are from 98+ fuck this board
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.