[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the differences between DLCs and Expansion Packs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1496377355001.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1496377355001.gif
613KB, 498x498px
What are the differences between DLCs and Expansion Packs?
>>
File: fastFoodGames.jpg (434KB, 1500x1490px) Image search: [Google]
fastFoodGames.jpg
434KB, 1500x1490px
>>385414359
>>
First of all the scale of the new content. And the expansion packs also usually continue the plot, while the DLCs arejust side additions.
>>
>>385414451
>food analogy
>>
Technically there is none, you can easily argue for them being used interchangably.
That being said, there is general understanding that Expansion Packs provide a more substantial, engrossing and connected content experience as opposed to DLC that at times is only individual items, quests, etc.
>>
Expansion packs are actually worth what they cost, most of the time
>>
>DLC
Bite size additions that generally don't add much worthwhile besides new quest, locations, items, or characters. More often than not, the content is something that should have been released with the core game, but was held onto to nickle/dime.

>Expansion
Content added that is comparable to the base game. Usually an after thought if said game exceeds expectations and sells well. Put into development for a long time after said game has been released.
>>
>>385414653
>>385414610
>>385414472
So those Dark Souls 2-3 DLCs are also expansion paxkssince they add content and story
>>
>>385414772
It's a subjective label. Not sure if you're just dense or trying to troll.
>>
>>385414772
More or less, yes.
>>
>>385414772
If you feel the amount of content added was comparable to the base games, sure you can call them expansions.
>>
generally dlc is just small bits. can be anything from skin to a new mission/level or two

expansions just have more content. sometimes even as much as in the base game. but expansions are pretty much dead. blizzard is probably one of the only ones still doing that. and well i guess ea with sims if that counts.
>>
>>385414359
Downloadable content vs content you had to go to the store, buy, and install.

Same thing, different medium.
>>
>>385414359
DLC pretty much is buying small bits of content that should've been in it to begin with, most of them are for sale when the game is released.

Expansion packs greatly adds content to the game, at least a third of the game's lenght in content, and usually are released much later after the game is released. (ie Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil, Diablo 2 Lords of Destruction, Witcher 3 Blood and Wine)
>>
There is none. "Expansion Pack" is a term you use when you want to cheat retards out of there money while not mentioning DLC, so they cream themselves and think they're getting good value for their money, which they aren't.
>>
>>385415935
>think they're getting good value for their money, which they aren't.
What would you call it when they do in fact get good value for their money?
>>
Downloadable content is inclusive.
>>
>>385415935
>he doesn't remember the days expansion packs game on CD
>>
>>385416269
He's likely not been born yet back then.
>>
>>385414535
Vidya is just like fastfood at this point.
>>
>>385416453
Good point.
>tfw I had to buy my favourite game three times to finish it completely
I actually think I preferred how things were back then.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.