[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: SH1Doghouse.jpg (164KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SH1Doghouse.jpg
164KB, 640x480px
Why don't they make horror games like they used to?

Also why hasn't any horror game or series that isn't Resident Evil been able to match Silent Hill at least in terms of overall greatness?

These two franchises literally remain the pinnacle of survival horror revered and remembered for their greatness while everything else is second rate at best. Yes that includes Amnesia and Dead Space.
>>
It's really a shame it doesn't look like the Cry of Fear crew aren't making a new game. Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters really stand up well next to original Resi and Silent HIll
>>
>>385397510
I just want my good old classic survival horror gameplay again in some spooky environments. Nothing tops Silent Hill's atmosphere. Nothing
>>
I'm currently playing TLoU remaster and Alan Wake.. and they hold up really well.
>>
>>385400219
I never got to play Alan Wake. I remember it had a long development and a troubled one.
>>
I think a lot of Horror games forget to be actual games, and that there are more types of horror than blinking lights and jump scares, you know mechanical ones for example.

Probably why Resident Evil is one of the few horror series I still enjoy.
>>
>>385396317
I'm really enjoying Pathologic so far
Well, at least when i made it past the second fucking day jesus christ
>>
>>385396317
Slenderman killed the genre for indie, Amnesia killed it for triple A studios.

Everything now is just pathetic clones of the two and sad part is none of them were even remotely scary.
>>
>>385401536
Delete this post
>>
>>385400219
>watching TLoU and playing Alan Wake
ftfy
>>
Just wait till Death Stranding, so many people from Team silent are working on the game. if it isn't a horror game i would be extremely surprised
>>
>>385402485
>watching TLoU
>retards can't even keep their movie games memes straight
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 1023x745px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 1023x745px
I don't consider bloodborne as a horror at allgame...but I got to say that the atmosphere is very creepy,the music and other sounds effects (like those far away screams,people laughing/crying,monsters...) are frightening....

It's been a long ago since I felt the same playing any horror game
>>
>>385401536
I don't know anon, I thought that they were pretty fucking scary when they first came out.
Then the novelty wore off and they started churning out hundreds of walking jumpscare simulators and that's where they stopped being scary.
>>
>>385400997
the game is pretty good. you can sometimes see that it was heavily cut from here and there but it's good.
>>
>>385403636
I think that's his point.

I loved Amnesia but can still see the negative impact it had on the industry.
>>
>>385400997
Its shit dont bother.
Finns defend it like national treasure but you will want to cut your dick after 8 hours of the same shit over and over
>>
>>385404114
even more so right near the end when those sanic fast enemies start showing up, that being said i enjoyed it
>>
File: resident-evil-4-hookman.jpg (41KB, 825x464px) Image search: [Google]
resident-evil-4-hookman.jpg
41KB, 825x464px
>>385396317

>tfw no RE3.5
>tfw no classic RE movement with RE4's combat

They could literally make good games like this in a year or less, but instead choose to make new shiny shit that only comes out once every 3-5 years.
>>
>>385404246
I didnt and I played it with the DLCs and all.
Only redeemable part was those tv shows you encountered once in a while.
>>
I'm surprised that the only games that really have tried to capitalize on multiplayer horror are Dead By Daylight and Friday the 13th, and they arguably give too much for the survivors to fight back with, especially in the latter. As shit as it sounds, the Slender Fortress Mod was actually a pretty great experience. It was pretty spooky to work together, only to find out you've accidentally split up and suddenly hear someone getting axed on the floor below. If someone could find a way to make that in a way that isn't janky as fuck, I think it'd be a hit.
>>
The only games I find actually scary are really surreal games with 90's style FMV and or prererendered look, like Harvester. Any other games like that?
>>
>>385397510
>It's really a shame it doesn't look like the Cry of Fear crew aren't making a new game
what the fuck are you trying to say
>>
>>385404261
Worst thing is that there must be a playable version somewhere
Just like beta RE2
>>
>>385403820
Anon said that the two games weren't even remotely scary.
>>
I have a confession: I don't think REmake is that good. It's of course not bad but I was expecting more when I played it on PS+
>>
>>385405889
You should have played that shit back in the day. The glorious days of NGC, that is.
>>
>>385396317
Horror it's not mainstream enough. And games these days only target that kind of people.
>>
>>385404893
probably some basement dwelling munchkin
>>
>>385400997
If you play SH2, the concept is similar but way worse.

The gameplay is a just a joke (point A to point B) and jesus christ is so fucking easy...
>>
File: 1496845514190.jpg (94KB, 810x815px) Image search: [Google]
1496845514190.jpg
94KB, 810x815px
>>385404261
Has anyone made a game like this ever since? I, too, believe it's a great gameplay system. I love RE4 just as the next person, but damn, was I disappointed this never got out to see the light of day.
>>
>>385404261
I know what you mean. I use to prefer Dead Space combat at first but then I realized that RE4's system is the better way to do action survival horror type games. It isn't even difficult to grasp so I don't know why there isn't more games like that.
>>
File: aw.jpg (104KB, 1076x729px) Image search: [Google]
aw.jpg
104KB, 1076x729px
>>385400997
It's not a bad game but has so many flaws. Combat was basically about holding the recticle on enemy for couple of cesond and then pulling the trigger and sometime doing a retarded looking dodge. Exploration was abysmal, mostly about going from point A to B.
But the worst offense was collectibles. You could find these notes that spoiled the incoming story shit. *poof* you are not afraid sanymore, since you know everything about next story bit/encounter.
>>
Oh P.T.
i cry every time...
>>
>>385398817
AoMDC was p much FP silent hill
>>
>>385396317
Keiichiro Toyama (The creator of Silent Hill, Forbidden Siren and Gravity Rush) had this to say a few years ago, which I thought was an interesting insight.

>"I'd like to make another horror game someday, but the thing is, unlike in the past, I think it's become kind of hard to make horror games. To some extent, horror is a good match for the 'B' genre, in terms of taking advantage of low budgets for the maximum return and maximum quality. However, we're now in an environment where B-grade titles are simply being priced out of the retail-software market. I think making a pure horror AAA console title is going to be really difficult going into the future. Instead, if I have a chance to make something like Journey that you can complete in two or three hours, but still offers an intense horror experience, I'd love to try that."
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.