[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is video game development so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Noms.jpg (888KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Noms.jpg
888KB, 1500x1000px
Why is video game development so expensive?
>>
>>385379965
>red flags the picture

if I ever went for an interview here I would just leave
>>
>>385379965
>tea & Noms

that will never be not stupid.
>>
>>385379965
>tea and noms
I would literally shit in the sink if a company I worked for pulled that shit
>>
its not. ive made several games with no budget or staff and they are all better than no man's sky
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (22KB, 159x118px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
22KB, 159x118px
>>385379965
Marketing budgets. Normies need that shit to become aware of games.
>>
>>385380151
post name of the games so we can shit on them and say they suck
>>
>>385380212
marketing budgets have nothing to do with game development.
>>
File: 1497647675759.jpg (144KB, 1200x687px) Image search: [Google]
1497647675759.jpg
144KB, 1200x687px
>>
>>385379965
It's not if you do everything yourself
>>
>>385380073
>>385380096
>>385380113
I've worked at one of the big 4 tech companies and they had this kind of thing everywhere. A games room built in the past couple of years had a decal on the wall of "the cake is a lie".

It's not that bad once you get used to it and immerse yourself in the culture the company has; outdated memes and all.
>>
>>385380073
>>385380096
>>385380113

>implying they would ever hire losers like you to begin

L M A O
>>
It depends on the game. However, you can mitigate costs buy doing things like: not spending dick loads of money on shitty coders/other devs that aren't actually good, not spending a dickload of money on a stupid expensive office in some high-rate area of the state/country/whatever, not spending way too much money on marketing when all you really need is some good TV/online commericals and some good press about the game (which might cost a lot, but you don't need billboards or fast food collabs or other bullshit like that), not tacking on useless bullshit like multiplayer modes no one is going to play or enjoy, by make sure to have a clear vision of the game and it's designs/etc BEFORE you really start to work on it so that in 2yrs you don't scrap the entire thing and start over.

The list goes on.

The problem with most game devs in this age is: they go to shit hole places like SanFran (which costs a fucking load), they buy offices and office equipment (chairs, PCs, food, etc) way out of their means, spend MILLIONS on marketing (when you really only need to spend a couple thousand or couple hundred thousand AT MOST), bloating of the staff (unless/bad community managers, etc), etc.

Games need to be down sized alot.
>>
paying asshats too many bucks to be asshats
>>
File: 1484946164042.png (202KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484946164042.png
202KB, 600x800px
>>385379965
I work in a software company and they moved us to one of those open offices

Listen to me anons: Avoid these places at all costs, they are stressfull because you always have someone looking over your shoulder and you can't even take a little break browsing other sites or looking at your phone or they come over and ask whats up in a passive aggressive way.
>>
>>385380358
I agree with this. It's pretty standard. Go work at a startup sometime /v/ and this mundane shit won't enrage you.
>>
>>385380467
marketing budgets are from publishers has nothing to do with game development.
>>
>>385380538
>tfw I had to do this
>tfw I had to sit at the same desk as the boss
>tfw he'd ask me for updates every hour and micromanage me to death
>>
>>385380597
What a stupid statement.

>Publisher spends millions on a games marketing
>Forces the devs to work harder and to make the game bigger/better/sell more/appeal to more people/etc
>Game ends up just being shit because it is nothing but scraps of shit strung together
>Publisher and devs lose dick loads of money

It happens every fucking time my dude. Every single time.
>>
>>385380538
You are right. Open officers are a pure cancer. Try to convince your boss to let you work from home as much as possible.
>>
File: Poo.gif (982KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
Poo.gif
982KB, 320x287px
>>385380302
>13 thousand for a fucking coffee machine

And these people are supposed to run a fucking business.
>>
Game devs like to live and develop games in cities with absurd costs of living.
>>
>>385380538
>>385380709
>tfw have my own desk and ask me for updates every 2 or 3 days
>I do almost nothing every day
I wouldn't trade situations with you guys but mine is too relaxed. I think asking for updates everyday is probably the best way to manage us while keeping stress levels low
>>
>>385380990
To be fair to them: having a reliable and efficient coffee machine for the couple hundred employees you hired can be a good investment.

The lack of anything to show for the rest of the 150 million is the problem
>>
>>385380440

Nice incomplete sentence, retard.
>>
>>385380151
I bet you shilled your stuff here too you clown
>>
>>385381398
I doubt you need a cafe quality coffee machine to keep your workers happy and caffeinated. It's overspending for the sake of it, they're like kids who have gotten a large sum of money from their grandparents for a birthday and blow it on flashy shit instead of something that does the exact same thing for a fraction of the price.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.