[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knytt Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 647524.jpg (56KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
647524.jpg
56KB, 500x377px
Knytt Stories thread. People still make levels for this shit. Have you played any recently? If not, have you played any ever? If yes, which is your favourite?
Personally, Gaia was pretty good if only for the sheer size of it and the varying environments. I like the chilled out, exploration focused ones the most.
>>
>>385369231
Pretty sure this was a PS3 Plustitle like 3 years ago that I played for 15 minutes before never playing again.

Actually that game was called Knytt underground. I remember cause it sounded like NEET underground.
>>
>>385369231
shill
>>
>>385369419
Yeah, Knytt Underground was a kind of sequel for Steam and PS3. I didn't really like it that much. I love Within a Deep Forest and Knytt, and it was basically a combination of both, but the overall visual style and god awful characters and story got on my nerves. Music was really nice though and there were some throwbacks to the original games that I appreciated.
Knytt is pronounced with a hard K and short Y sound like in silly. It's one syllable though, so not like cuh-nytt like I've heard a lot of people pronounce it.
>>
>>385369231
Hell yes. I played Dragon Myth a while back, very intriguing and bittersweet level.

Azure Serenity was good, and Gaia FINAL is an all time classic.
>>
>>385369885
Never heard of Azure Serenity. How old is that one?
>>
>>385369231
I played the entire series back in the day when I'd play the shit out of freeware games.

Such a comfy world.
>>
>>385369231

Used to be in love with Knytt. Got me into game development.

Now I'm a millionaire game dev. Thanks Nifflas!
>>
>>385372480
Yeah, back in 2007-2009 I used to frequent the Nifflas forums and download a ton of different levels, spending entire days going through them. Ranging from 10 minute story levels to pixel platforming to huge open worlds like Gaia. Really nice game to play and relax to.

https://youtu.be/Ztg4EPQVRBM

Music was comfy as fuck. Used to have my mp3 player full of this stuff.
>>
File: Info.png (29KB, 600x240px) Image search: [Google]
Info.png
29KB, 600x240px
>>385372934
I still have most of these levels saved on my harddrive. Remember this shit?
>>
Knytt Underground has such fucking awful art holy shit I cannot phathom how the guy who made Knytt Stories made Underground's art. It's like a child made it.
>>
>>385369231
Knytt Stories is great, but I didn't really like any of the fan levels.
They are all unbalanced in one way or another, maybe too easy, or too short, or directionless.
>>
MORE LIKE sHYTT STORIES LOL
>>
>>385373593
Underground had really nice gameplay. The combination of WADS and Knytt was really neat. Using the ball form to gain momentum and being able to switch mid-air to reach higher walls to climb felt effortless and the power-ups like grappling thing were really cool. I liked that.
Visuals, despite using actual photos of plants and stuff, looked nice and comfy. It's just a shame that he felt the need to make the game more convenient with the story and dialog. It was so poorly written and like you said, character art was fucking terrible. Also, I know the entire game is supposed to take place underground, but having every single room use the same pitch black layout with just the background and maybe light sources differentiating them felt kind of lazy.
It's obvious that art is not Nifflas's strong style. Hence why the tiny pixely creatures look fine, but his actual hand drawn stuff is really poor.
>>
>>385374084
>WADS
I meant WADF. Sorry.
>>
>>385369835
>god awful characters and story got on my nerves.
Not to mention obnoxious mechanics and wandering around a giant ass map playing collect a shit isn't very fun
>>
File: Birch Tileset.png (29KB, 600x240px) Image search: [Google]
Birch Tileset.png
29KB, 600x240px
I used to make levels and tilesets for this game and used to play it a ton
pic related, one of my tilesets
>>
>>385374195
I forgot about the collecting. That got old really fast. I don't understand why there was so much bullshit to collect. I guess it's supposed to be an incentive to explore, but the world itself should already be the incentive. That's what made the original Knytt interesting. Not the act of finding and collecting spaceship parts, but to just explore the world.
>>
>>385374395
Did you make those trees too? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen them in some levels.
>>
File: Farm Tileset.png (19KB, 598x238px) Image search: [Google]
Farm Tileset.png
19KB, 598x238px
>>385374539
yes i made everything in that screenshot, this one as well
>>
>>385374637
Pretty nice. You usually don't see stuff that rooted in reality. Comfy though.
>>
>>385374418
Yeah the world this time was really drab aside from the shameless references that didn't make sense to me how they were placed. I beat knytt once and knytt stories and wadf twice despite the glass ball. I think the cringy plot/ mechanics and lack of movement upgrades made it rough. There was no reward for exploring other than exposition.
>>
>>385373130
That one was really trippy
>>
>>385374762
I really didn't mind the lack of movement upgrades. There were a few, like the electric grappling line, but overall you had your ball form and your Knytt form and I thought that was alright. Reminded me of the original Knytt and WADF. But, there really was nothing to the world. Some nice visuals and music every now and then, but the collectibles felt meaningless unless you cared for the story and who the hell would?
>>
This is the absolute comfiest game. If you haven't played it, go and download a level called Gaia FINAL, and prepare for the chillest journey you will ever experience.

https://youtu.be/myhCDF1-aJg
>>
>>385375021
>This was all free
>Made by people for the love of it
>If this was released today it'd be $20
>Levels would come in packs of $5
>>
>>385369231
is this shit for andriod
>>
>>385374395
I played a ton of levels with your tilesets
>>
>>385375208
No. PC. Though I think someone ported it to the DS at one point.
>>
>>385374960
The reason no movement upgrades drove me crazy is
>Backtracking through the same places especially difficult ones 15 times hauling pencils or other lame shit never gets faster
>No reward for completing long ass collectathons
>>
>>385375196
>still somehow has 30 times less polish and never leaves beta
Greed is killing gaming.
>>
Holy shit the only thing I remember about this is when I was 12 and watched ProtonJon's "Don't eat the mushroom"
>>
very nice, a knytt thread. i recently rediscovered knytt and started playing again. my favorite is the original knytt, but some of the player made levels are really good. to anyone in this thread, i recommend "A Knytt in Time", "The Core", "It Waits", "Absolute Machination", and "Teenhmifnoeafgil". Be careful with that last one.

is there any player-made level that recreates the aesthetic of the original Knytt? the flat colors, the big world with varied environments, the isolated feeling that came from the absence of dialogue... original knytt is truly the most comfy.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.