[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Ocarina of Time was full of creepy and generally disturbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 41

File: 1284930029485.png (739KB, 975x598px) Image search: [Google]
1284930029485.png
739KB, 975x598px
>Ocarina of Time was full of creepy and generally disturbing bosses
>no Zelda since then has been able to recreate this feeling
>>
>>385348256
Majora's Mask was weird as hell, the boss I mean, but I agree with your opinion.
>>
>>385348256

Majoras Mask is easily on par but the uneasiness from OoT comes from not expecting it to be a dark game. Majoras Mask gives you that creepy dark vibe right from the get go.
>>
too bad none of the bosses really look like that and they just look like a large shitty mishmash of polygons
>>
>>385348680

gannon one is taken from the game you retard, otherwise your right

but bongo bongo was pretty weird boss
>>
Just cause you were a little kid and this shit spooked you doesn't mean it was creepy.
I was 8 when I first played OOT, and never considered any of the bosses pictured in the OOT creepy, and I was a little bitch kid that was too scared to get through the opening sequence of Resident Evil 2.
>>
>>385350614
Aye, but the Well still got that adrenaline going huh guy? Especially that Yellow Bubble. Wew lad.
>>
File: ReDead_Artwork_(The_Wind_Waker).png (60KB, 155x366px) Image search: [Google]
ReDead_Artwork_(The_Wind_Waker).png
60KB, 155x366px
>>
I miss uneasy Zelda games in general.
TP tried to do it but it didn't do much for me since I was 16 at the time.
Zelda games on the N64 were horror games to my 8 year old self
>>
>>385348256
Legit question here, why do you think Nintendo decided to stop having eerie/darker areas/dungeons like those in LttP, OoT and MM?

I was expecting something like this in BotW considering the nature of the setting but nope.
>>
>>385351365
More focus on children. Anyone who denies how Nintendo has more and more turned into a Disney kids company over the years is blind. We'll never get another Misery Mire because children would have difficulty.
>>
>>385351365
>Legit question here, why do you think Nintendo decided to stop having eerie/darker areas/dungeons like those in LttP, OoT and MM?
Because Koizumi left the franchise and went to do Mario.
The man who pretty much wrote the lore of the series during the SNES era until Majora's Mask left the franchise that he helped make super popular. He even came up with the 3-day system and such.

Doesn't help that we don't see his ideas and artistic vision in Mario because Miyamoto shuts them down since he doesn't want any kind of story in the series according to interviews.
>>
>>385351365
I'd argue Hyrule Castle and Lost Woods are at least somewhat creepy, and that Wind Waker at least had Earth Temple and the black storm, and Skyward Sword had that underside of the Water Temple.
>>
>>385351571
>Anyone who denies how Nintendo has more and more turned into a Disney kids company over the years is blind.
That's what Nintendo has always been, you idiot. You fucking dumbass. You fuckhead.
>>
>>385351365
Part of it is just technology - some areas in MM and especially OoT look creepier because the low res models have something automatically eerie about them, you can tell by games that are clearly not meant to be eerie of the time.

That said, there's never really been anything like the Kakariko well since then.
>>
>>385348256
whoa, Morpha's really gripping Link real hard right there
>>
>>385351672
That does make sense. Is there no chance of him returning?

>>385352003
That's an interesting point and I suppose that's one of the reasons why I'm not the biggest fan of OoT 3D. Still, I think the music and art designs for some areas gives us an idea of what they were going for. And then there's LttPs Dark World which didn't have the graphical issues of the N64 titles.
>>
>>385352813
Here's the thing: I only played LttP after I had played MM, OoT, and WW, and never thought it was remotely creepy, anywhere. Dark World was interesting, but more wacky than creepy, to me. I imagine age has a lot to do with it.

I can see kids playing something like Skyward Sword now and getting to the Ancient Cistern underside and thinking that's creepy, too.
>>
>>385351773
>"fuckhead"
You must be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>385348256
It was a different time man, Nintendo at least had a bit of edge.
>>
>>385348256
How is Ghoma weirder than Calamity Ganon?
>>
>>385353142
I agree that age has a lot to do with it but I too played LttP after OoT and MM. Creepy is the wrong word for it, but the Dark World had a certain broken and twisted aesthetic/vibe to it that no Zelda past OoT and MM has ever come close to.

I found the underground Ancient Cistern section to be more about the theme of the dungeon (referencing the story, The Spider's Thread) rather than being creepy or unsettling.
>>
1. Simple shading looks amazing
2. Simple particle effects do too
3. OOT3D doesn't even look the same
4. Also >>385351672 Zelda II, I and ALttP is also "creepy". Just not able to do the same, when the gfx are what they are.

So its tone + intention. The intention simply isn't there anymore. Even something like the Cistern in Skyward Sword feels like a amusement park with a grave, not a graveyard on steroids.
>>
>>385354848
I mean, it still had corpses and weird zombie enemies - it's not creepy if you're older now, but I can see myself being creeped out if I was eight or something. Like, the Earth Temple in Wind Waker isn't remotely scary to me any more, but I got scared there as a kid.

I don't think it's something like Nintendo doesn't want to do it any more - Twilight Princess had the fucking Twilight Realm which was fucked up abstract shit, and cutscenes likes this. Wind Waker had the Earth Temple and the bit where everything goes dark and there's the implications about Greatfish. Skyward Sword doesn't really have much and BotW doesn't have anything past the Lost Woods, but that might just be an issue with creating so big a world than anything.

Hell, even Phantom Hourglass had some creepy bits.
>>
>>385352813
>That does make sense. Is there no chance of him returning?
I don't think so. Mario is THE Nintendo mascot after all.
I wish he did though. His Zelda games would be everything amazing about the series.
>>
File: hqdefault (6).jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (6).jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>385355364
>>385354848
Forgot my pic
>>
>>385354036
>not being a fan of Travis
seems like you're the underage one
>>
File: Redead.png (1MB, 1041x1943px) Image search: [Google]
Redead.png
1MB, 1041x1943px
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
File: 1394.jpg (29KB, 446x357px) Image search: [Google]
1394.jpg
29KB, 446x357px
>>385355586
>>
>>385351672
Oh come on, again with the Koizumi whining. Koizumi is mostly a level designer. Yes, he did great stuff for Zelda, but he is not the single reason OoT and MM felt eerie.
>>
File: 1501107515535.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1501107515535.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>385348256
I played OoT for the first time earlier this year. They aren't creepy or disturbing at all, buddy, they just looked like that when you were younger. Now, they're just ugly, stretched polygons, nowhere near as scary as the price for a collector's edition of OoT.
>>
>>385356147
b-but my game feel
>>
File: 1500653362956.png (652KB, 1000x3904px) Image search: [Google]
1500653362956.png
652KB, 1000x3904px
>>
>>385356253
lol
>>
>>385355976
What Koizumi did:
>Level design, event design and some character design in OoT and MM
>Created the lore in ALttP which is the basis of Zelda lore.
>Wrote Link's Awakening story, script and events
>Created the main system in Majora's Mask.

He may not be the only reason, but he's definitely a huge influence on Zelda games people really love because they're so different from the rest.
>>
File: Hmmm.png (89KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.png
89KB, 600x606px
>>385348256
>>
File: dead_hand_by_johnnycago-d3etgdu.jpg (242KB, 782x1126px) Image search: [Google]
dead_hand_by_johnnycago-d3etgdu.jpg
242KB, 782x1126px
Creepiest baddie from LoZ imo
>>
>>385356654
Okay, let me circle out what is important for OoT and MM:
>Level design, event design and some character design in OoT and MM
>Created the main system in Majora's Mask.

These are for the most part gameplay-related decisions. They have barely anything to do with what OP is talking about.
>>
>>385355586
>Travis
who?
>>
>>385348256
During my entire playthrough of BOTW I never once felt like I was afraid of anything. There was no sense of fear of running into something dangerous or a dangerous area. It was the same enemies all throughout.
>>
>>385356654
don't attribute shit like this randomly to people, dude, there's a lot of people who worked on x but not on x, it's not necessarily correlated to anything
>>
>>385348680
That adds to the effect IMO

PS1 and N64 games creep me out
>>
>>385357743
Look for yourself, he literally did all those things
>>385357421
It influences the tone. Sorry for being so fucking right.
>>
Ocarina of Time had some good undertones. Damn good ones at that. I was too scared to play any dungeon with a wallmaster in it until I got older.

Anyone want those analyses (I know they're not canon, that doesn't stop them from being interesting before some faggot comes in being contrarian).
>>
>>385357953
Jesus, you are a pain to talk to.

Yes, okay, Koizumi is vidya Jesus, I will from now on disregard all post-MM Zelda.
>>
File: 45765846912324589762857.jpg (153KB, 590x870px) Image search: [Google]
45765846912324589762857.jpg
153KB, 590x870px
>>385351365
Because children these days are sheltered as fuck and things from OOT/MM would be too scary.
>>
>>385357953
I know he did all these things, I just mean that that doesn't mean he's solely responsible to what the OP is saying. Prove me otherwise that, say, he wanted creepy areas in one of those games.
>>
>>385358012
Sure, go ahead.
>>
>>385358213
>>385351365
>man these children sure can't be scared
>i know, let's make an entire game revolving around a twilight realm including enemies that look beheaded and creepy atonal music

you fucks
>>
>>385358315
Twilight Princess came out over 10 years ago.
>>
>>385357020
He may be creepy, but he never scared the shit out of me as a kid like Wallmasters, Floormasters, and Like-Likes did. Skullwalltulas too to a lesser extent, but I learned to shoot them down after the first time one of them fucked me up.
>>
>>385348256
graphics were abstract enough to let disturbing concept art be less of a concern
>>
File: Ft.jpg (286KB, 624x680px) Image search: [Google]
Ft.jpg
286KB, 624x680px
>>385358246
Alright. Here's the first: Forest Temple

Everyone knows that the Temples in OoT are mainly based off of other types of building structures: Shadow Temple is a mausoleum, Fire Temple a jail, Spirit Temple a shrine of worship. So what is the Forest Temple? And what can we extrapolate about the Forest Temple (FT from now on)?

Immediately entering the area of the Sacred Meadow directly outsid the FT, we see high stone walls. Walking into the actual FT, we are inside the walls, but still outside a large building. In the center of the building, the main room, are branches to all other rooms in the building. In the back, there are two courtyards where you can even see the sky and more high walls away from the building. Deep inside the FT, the boss lair looks like a parlor. Judging from the building's defense structure, courtyards, a sewage system, and hidden location in the woods, the FT was most likely a castle.

However, now it is an abandoned castle, a haunted, abandoned castle. Why might this be so?

Considering Hyrule's bloody history, written all over the torture chambers in the Shadow Temple, it makes me believe that a great atrocity happened at the FT. The FT is situated in the far back of the forest, hidden deep away. It was most likely a final stronghold against invaders. After invaders got through the Lost Woods, they had to go through a small maze in the Sacred Meadow, most likely some sort of defensive measure. Indeed, a portcullis can even bar off the maze, trapping invaders within, forcing them to reach the FT. Guards of the FT, from the higher ground gained by the ladder could snipe off victims in the maze.
>>
If invaders somehow broke through, they'd have to enter a narrow passage. More archers at the top could snipe away enemies and only a few guards could tackle on huge armies and still successfully defend (think 300). When all else failed, the actual FT is on yet even higher ground, with stairs (crumbled now) to reach it. Higher ground is always more advantage, especially for defense.

Thus, I feel that the FT is a castle, although more precisely a stronghold as a final defense. Inside, there are fine carpets, many rooms, a fairly relaxing courtyard (if monsters weren't around). This makes me believe that nobility or royalty used the FT as a final stand against invaders, and that they hid here.

However, the FT is now destroyed mostly; perhaps the invaders made it into the FT. That would explain some of the crumbling architecture. Moreso, if invaders actually made it into the FT, everyone inside was most likely slaughtered. This probably explains the ghosts and ghouls and inhabit the FT now, remnants of people's souls, lingering in the FT, wanting revenge. Eventually, they even obtained magic as they aged, creating twisting corridors, falling ceilings, and a rotatable superstructure, without even destroyed the upper buildings.

Perhaps that rotatable superstructure was designed before. There are many rooms below, hidden behind the thick walls, shut off by bars. Perhaps this superstructure was always there, and that basement was a jail. Perhaps then, the parlor was actually a high class torture chamber, where the nobles would entertain themselves with the screams of victims. But I digress.
>>
>>385358818
Yes, way after MM.
>>
Now, the Stalfos are most likely age old guards, long dead, who still protect this castle. And who are the four female ghosts? Their portraits are on the walls, with the exception of Meg, although the images burned off, charred black. It makes me believe they were four ladies of the nobility. Why do they persist to haunt the FT? Something traumatic must have happened for them to want to kill Link. Considering the invaders were most likely male, as soldiers were mostly male, these four women might have been raped, tortured, and murdered. Thus, they continue to live, waiting to exact their revenge (which happens to be on poor old Link).

The invaders gone, the people residing in the castle all dead, the ghosts beginning to rise from the dead, the FT is finally abandoned. Overgrowth starts forming on the walls, perhaps ivy. The staircase to the actual FT is destroyed, either through weather or the invaders attempting to close off the castle forevermore. Many many years later, the ghosts eventually disappear as Saria appeases them (although how a little girl entered is still beyond me). After Ganondorf comes into power, he releases the spirits once again, who immediately turn on Saria, and even keep her in the boss lair, the nobleman's torture room.

And thus, we have Link enter, oblivious to all the horrors behind the Forest Temple, what I personally consider the most disturbing place in the game.

Of course, this is purely speculative.
I may have to put that on every one of these, just to keep the faggots away.
>>
File: Shadowtempleinside.jpg (371KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowtempleinside.jpg
371KB, 1024x800px
Alright. Here's the Shadow Temple.

Shadow Temple, a mausoleum in the back of the Graveyard, quite literally a house of the dead. Everywhere inside the Shadow Temple (ST from this point on), there are ghouls in the walls and fake walls that tell you about the blood of Hylians from ages past.

The walls in some of the rooms are made of the bones of the dead, mostly skulls. Most importantly, Dead Hand's room. It attacks by biting you, as if trying to eat you. It seems as though, then, that Dead Hand was fed people. Basically, the preceding rooms would scare captives, destroying their nerves, with skulls on the walls, a few of them with glowing eyes. Then, they would be forced into Dead Hand's room, bars preventing their escape. Dead Hand would eventually rise up and feast on their bodies, probably adding it to the walls (I get the feeling that the room is supposed to actually be surrounded by mounds of bones, not walls, but N64 texture is so limited). The red wounds on Dead Hand were most likely caused by captives who tried to retaliate, cutting Dead Hand's body and arms.

To progress, one must go to a giant head with arms, his tongue as a platform to reach with the Sacred Feet. Why is it a tongue and mouth? Demons in many cultures are said to devour the living and quite literally, you are entering the darkness, to be consumed by it. However, in the end, I feel this was, once again, just a decoration.

We find dual reapers with giant scythes. This room may have been used to behead captives in droves, but considering how easy it is to avoid the scythes, it is unlikely. There is a shortcut to the ferry from this room, and that was probably the main purpose. The second time we find scythes, they are invisible.
>>
Then there's the Rain of Pain. Potentially a very useful killing device, it would stab through everyone below. It that did not kill them, the shear weight of the Rain of Pain probably would. There seem to be a few jails in here as well. I wonder what they might serve. Why would Hylians jail people here? I'll answer this later.

Gigantic skulls can be found. They would most likely strike terror into anyone's heart. Why is there fire inside? Why, to throw bodies into it, of course. Anyone thrown inside would be burned alive, without any chance of crawling out. Perhaps a cremation device, although I'm not sure how Hylians would empty it.

Finally, we reach the ferry, and everything will soon start to come together. The ferry is simply a ride across Styx to reach the Hell at the end. We see the giant bird, although why it is here is still unknown. There is, ironically, a symbol of the Triforce on the ferry. The ST is the domain of the Goddesses? Perhaps. Or maybe it's just the domain for those who worship the Goddesses.

At the very end of the ferry, there is a large gap. It looks as though there used to be a bird statue that acted as a bridge across. It has most likely fallen apart and crumbled into the abyss. The bird, I suppose I should say now, is likely either a raven or crow, two birds often associated with the darkness. I personally think it's a crow, as the name of a flock of crow is "murder." It has appeared as a statue at the very beginning, on the ferry, and here as another tall statue.
>>
File: Denono.gif (200KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
Denono.gif
200KB, 170x200px
>>385356147
>they're just ugly, stretched polygons, nowhere near as scary as the price for a collector's edition of OoT.

Good Job anon, I laughed
>>
File: 1480715879048.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1480715879048.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
Finally, I can start pulling threads together. In the very back, there is a small maze. We have three rooms. One has closing spiked walls, a dirty way to kill off captives; another has three spinning giant skulls, more cremation devices (?). But the last room is the most interesting. There's a bloody cross in the middle, and lots of blood everywhere. Unlike the other rooms and devices (the dual reapers, the Rain of Pain, the spiked walls), people were killed here by other people. There's no special device or anything. Hylian hands basked in the blood of others. This is likely either a torture room, a twisted crucifixion, or just a murdering chamber in general.

I'm personally guessing it's an interrogation room. Captives were tied or crucified onto the wooden stakes and then questioned to help gain vital information for the long war. Perhaps then, all the other rooms weren't for any practical purpose besides one: to strike ultimate terror into the hearts of the captives of war. First, they are eaten by a giant demon head. Then a few captives would have to be examples. A couple beheaded by the dual scythes (even scarier when a person's head just flies off, as you can't see the scythes), a few impaled by the Rain, some thrown into the spiked wall room (most likely trying to claw their way out, screaming for help, and then their voices dying off as their tracheas are stabbed and crushed). Those guillotines, so improperly placed along the path, were meant to strike fear, not heads. Even the ferry was meant to remind captives that they were going straight to Hell. This would all lead to more efficient interrogation.

And that would make the Hylians keepers of Hell, that Triforce symbol so symbolic of this. Zelda's ancestors were likely to be sadists, who, after winning the war, likely toyed with their prisoners. Any bodies were at first likely cremated or fed to Dead Hand. Eventually, the Hylians most likely just threw them into the abysses.
>>
>>385348256
when i was a kid i used to let morpha grab me purposely so i can be thrown across the room. i liked how it looked honestly.
>>
This is why evil began to emanate from the ST. Of course, the ST was probably never meant for this. It is a mausoleum, first and foremost. A mausoleum is traditionally a tomb for important people, respected people. The respected people would be the warriors who died protecting their land. Suddenly, it is filled with the blood of the enemy, the captives thrown in here at the whim of the sadist Hylians. This burial is now defiled. The spirits of the dead soldiers most likely rose up to retaliate. They came back as Gibdos and ReDeads (not Link-humping fangirls, I swear).

The Stalfos are probably a few of the armored soldiers, pissed off at the desecration.The manifestation of hate towards the Hylians is Bongo Bongo. A faceless monster, he represents the faceless warrriors who have died, anonymous to the Royal Family, their bodies lost in Hell. He has a singular red eye that scowls at you. Red is the color of blood and death, flesh and life. That single red eye nearly looks like it's blooming. A red rose, perhaps? A red rose is a symbol of socialism; I suppose that would refer to all the souls of the angered warriors, joining their hate together as one. Finally, Bongo Bongo's hands beat a drum, maybe a war drum, to call to action the dead spirits to kill all the noble Hylians who have disgraced the dead.

This is why the ST was sealed off. Sheikah, who are not Hylians, could probably more freely enter the ST, as the hatred wasn't totally directed towards them. That is how Impa could probably seal off the evil. But, interestingly, there are a few seals.
>>
>>385348256
majoras mask
twilight princess
breath of the wild
>>
First off, the actual passage to the ST is inaccessable; one generally needs a teleportation song to reach it. Secondly, a giant door seals the actual interest (sealed with the symbol of the Sheikah, no doubt, it is their magic). Finally, the only way to open the door is with a Fire spell, whose conveniently found within Hyrule Castle gates, behind a giant boulder. The sign next to the boulder even attempts to discourage others from approaching by merely listing it as a dead end. This provides a few hurtles to leap before releasing the evil in the Shadow Temple.

But, of course, Bongo Bongo was sealed in the well, not in the Shadow Temple. The well was probably an extension of the Shadow Temple, as there are torture rooms down there. There aren't many abysses, so the Dead Hand here probably feasted on more flesh than the one in the Shadow Temple. The very bottom of the well, the claw-shaped caves, were probably death pits to throw prisoners into.Although we are not told the actual seal the Sheikah used to contain Bongo Bongo, one could have been the water of the well. Perhaps a vain attempt to wash away the blood on the hands of the Hylians, the Royal Family.

Again, purely speculative.
>>
>>385359664

That room looks like you could probably find Theon's dick still sitting in the corner.
>>
>>385359747
>The manifestation of hate towards the Hylians is Bongo Bongo. A faceless monster, he represents the faceless warrriors who have died, anonymous to the Royal Family, their bodies lost in Hell.

I thought it was confirmed that Bongo Bongo was literally the creator of the Eye of Truth.
>>
File: Lens_of_Truth_Artwork.png (96KB, 293x278px) Image search: [Google]
Lens_of_Truth_Artwork.png
96KB, 293x278px
Original writer did one on the Lens of Truth.

Anyways, I've been thinking about the Lens of Truth, the man who made it, and everything. The whole mad scientist idea doesn't seem to be so farfetched, although it would probably be more like mad alchemist or mad mage (there's not that much science in LoZ until the bazooka in TP). Perhaps Dead Hand is actually an unnatural creation (I'm guessing the mad alchemist grafted hands and arms onto another person). Maybe then some bodies of the victims were kept, their limbs used to make Dead Hands. Keep in mind that the skull walls in the Shadow Temple are mostly composed of skulls, not other bone. The mad alchemist's basement (the well) was the center of all experimentation, rotten bodies thrown into the claw-shaped cave (and he probably went down there sometimes as well, to pick up bodies he thought were reusable).

Another interesting note is how Gerudos know of the existence of the Lens. The eyes have nearly a legendary quality to them. They were most likely made a long time ago, and therefore so were the two Dead Hands. Methinks this mad alchemist actually created invisible walls and structures and whatnot, and made the Lens so you could see them. Our mad alchemist probably gave them the Lens of Truth so they could cross the Haunted Wasteland. There is probably more than one Lens of Truth as well (there was one in Termina). The Gerudos still reach the Desert Colossus, so they have at least one Lens of Truth, maybe under the care of Nabooru or Ganondorf.

This brings up the next interesting question: why would the creator of the Lens of Truth give them out? But all this Lens of Truth stuff is for another topic, and lots more drawn-out thinking.
>>
File: WaterTemple.jpg (343KB, 1024x706px) Image search: [Google]
WaterTemple.jpg
343KB, 1024x706px
Water Temple.

First, the main question is, what is the Water Temple supposed to be? Fire Temple looks like a jail of somewhat (with funny obstacle courses), Shadow Temple is similar to a mausoleum (but likely used for other purposes), Forest Temple is easily a castle, and Spirit Temple actually looks like a true shrine of worship. The Water Temple is somewhat out there. One cannot easily identify it with any actual buildings. If anything, considering how well in tact it is, some of the water changing mechanisms, even the basic architecture (all designed with Zora use in mind), it might actually be a real temple.

Now, then, I suppose I should start pulling together ideas. Where is this Water Temple located? Under a large island, with a gigantic tree on top. How are islands formed? Generally speaking, a simple accumulation of earth can form an island. But the Water Temple, it is completely buried under the earth. In fact, in that giant central chamber (not the central tower) it seems as though earth has fallen down on the sides, covering the beautiful blue brick. Perhaps not volcanic activity, but tectonic activity. It is more than possible that Hyrule is on or near the edge of two tectonic plates, as Death Mountain is still active. Thus, I think that the Water Temple was actually built above ground first, and then sunk, covered by the island. I guess, that would make the Water Temple a sunken city of sorts.

If my concept of the sunken city is correct, it would explain the multitude of rooms (most likely converted to something other than residentials/stores/etc now). An underwater civilization, like the Zora, is quite likely to have a multi-level city, as gravity simply isn't as much trouble for them as it is for land dwellers.
>>
>>385350614
death temple was pretty creepy, even right now it is.
>>
>>385358159
>Jesus, you are a pain to talk to.
yes I am
>I will from now on disregard all post-MM Zelda.
I still love Zelda a lot, I just miss Koizumi's style
>>
If earth did fall down and sink this city, regardless of species, deaths would happen (oh noes, it's starting to look grim again). Perhaps that is why the Water Temple is quite like an actual temple, it is like holy ground, in rememberance of those Zora who were crushed under the falling earth. All that earth also explains those very random boulders falling out from nowhere in the room with the whirlpools and six tektites.

Why did the Zoras convert the sunken city into a temple? A temple is a place of spirituality, but for whom? Who are the Zoras worshipping? The dragon heads most likely, who I suspect to be Leviathan, the only great sea creature that the dragon heads remind me of. Leviathan has been described in many different shapes (whale, crocodile, a simple large monster) but a fairly prominent concept is the snake form. Skipping Sunday school, Leviathan was a huge sea monster, capable of unspeakable destruction.

And that destruction was of the Water Temple. The Zoras, perhaps to appease the God of Leviathan, built a temple for him out of the ruins of the sunken city. Whether or not a Leviathan actually did destroy the city is not an important issue right now (I doubt there were Leviathan in Lake Hylia). That is why there are dragon heads every, why whirlpools are abound (Leviathan was said to devour ships via whirlpools), to give tribute to their god.

My analysis probably could end here, but I have given it a bit more thought than that. Remember the room where you fought Dark Link? A single tree on an island, in the middle of vast waters, endless, endless waters. Does that island with a tree look familiar? Why, it actually looks like the island the Water Temple is under. This brings up the water changing mechanism.
>>
>>385357421
>level design has nothing to do with atmosphere
>>
>>385358315
>creepy atonal music
top kek
That soundtrack was garbage, save for three tracks. The fight music in the twilight realm was probably the goofiest.
>>
The Water Temple, after the curse was broken, refilled Lake Hylia. Who is to say that is the extent of the temple? Maybe that is what the water changing mechanics signify, a flood. The potential cause of said future flood? Leviathan, in the eyes of the Zora. Not only is a temple a place of worship, it is often considered a body of worship, as if to signify the actual god. If Leviathan were to end the world through a flood (never read of that happening, but possible), then he would be the only thing left alive, his body the Water Temple, symbolized by that lone island in the room against Dark Link.

When Link defeats Dark Link, the images of the flood and single island disappear. It is almost as though Dark Link were Leviathan, whom, if destroyed, cannot cause the flood. I feel as though the Zoras do not wish to flood the world, because Dark Link, evil, is the one who brings the flood. Does this have anything to do with THE Flood? Did the Zoras change "religions" and thus change form because they felt Leviathan destroyed the world? One can only speculate.

But now, the Zoras have mostly left the temple. Most live in upper Zora's River. There, they have found a new god, Jabu Jabu. But have they actually found a new God? Surprisingly, Leviathan has also been said to be a great fish or whale, in general. Is Jabu Jabu the Leviathan? Of course no;, the dragon heads do not look much like Jabu Jabu at all. Maybe Jabu Jabu is a "new" Leviathan to worship, a different type, one who is not destructive, but is the protective guardian of the Zora. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather worship a god who protects me, not ultimately destroys me.

Again, purely speculative.
>>
File: Spirit_Temple.jpg (626KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
Spirit_Temple.jpg
626KB, 1024x800px
Spirit Temple.

The Spirit Temple is now used as a thieve's hideout. A good location too, as the majority of people can't cross the Haunted Wasteland, as they have neither the Hover Boots or Lens of Truth. What was the Spirit Temple used for before the thieves? It probably was a temple, built for worship. Two giant goddesses can't exactly say it any better. Nor can walls of scripture in the goddess chamber.

This dungeon is, without a doubt, one of the most religious, right up there is the Fire Temple. We all remember that crescent and star symbol, now symbolic of Islam (although originally Islam didn't want a shape as a symbol, just submission and the words of the last prophet). Considering the very Middle Eastern feel and design of Zelda games as a whole, this is not surprising at all.

Now, the big difference between the Spirit Temple and many others is its duality. There's a child and adult half. The east and west wings have very similar architecture (although different puzzles, no doubt). There are two dungeon items. Even the boss is a duality, fire and ice. Why is this so?

The dungeon itself is quite symmetrical, if you drew a line straight down the middle, although not perfect. There are a total of three throne rooms, one in the east wing, one in the west wing, and one behind the statue's head. Another important tidbit is that behind the thrones are weapons, axes in cross shapes. Weapons? In a temple of prayer?
>>
>>385360216
You are confusing level design with visual design. Yes, the two interact, but one is not entirely responsible for the other.
>>
>>385360383
No, I'm not. Level design can build atmosphere just as much as visual design.
>>
>>385351773
This is not true even of Disney. No company is born so sterile, corporate culture does that.
>>
File: Twinrovasisters.png (4MB, 2322x1973px) Image search: [Google]
Twinrovasisters.png
4MB, 2322x1973px
Another note to point out is within the room with the moving walls you have to climb. Look at the crown molding. See the skulls? I didn't notice them either until I went to search for details. Another room, the single highest room on the fourth floor where you lower the floor to reach the statue's face, also has the same crown molding. Both rooms are found right dap in the middle of the line of symmetry.

Weapons on the side and skulls in the middle? Have we witnessed a battle inside the temple? As much as I would like to stay away from a subject like this, this seems very reasonable. Two thrones, maybe for two important figure heads, fighting it out. Who won? The third throne, the one in the middle.

I've pretty much just had a huge brainstorm. Koume and Kotake. They sat on the two thrones, hundreds of years ago, and fought for dominance of the Spirit Temple. After the battle, when they made peace, the fused to become Twinrova, who now sits on the central throne, symbolic of being half of each person. Duality, duality, duality.
>>
File: 1490300921356.png (265KB, 385x417px) Image search: [Google]
1490300921356.png
265KB, 385x417px
>>385360067
good on you for doing this, please try to compile all these posts into a collage

love this kind of shit and you are great person anon

thank you
>>
File: 434px-OoT_Twinrova.png (357KB, 434x600px) Image search: [Google]
434px-OoT_Twinrova.png
357KB, 434x600px
The crescent and star symbol of the Spirit Temple. A star is generally an extruciatingly hot place whereas a moon is generally barren, cold, and lifeless. Fire vs Ice. Two witches of magic. The juxtaposition of the star and crescent symbolize Twinrova. And what about the two statues? Were they representations of Koume and Kotake? One outside, basking in warmth, another inside, wrapped in a snake, sucking the heat away. And hundreds of years back, when something could not be explained, like magic, people associated it with a supernatural power. Were Koume and Kotake confused to be beautiful goddesses, before they turned old and gray and ugly?

Therefore, I paint the picture like this: Koume and Kotake could use magic and were revered as goddesses, the Spirit Temple built for them. The worshippers, stupid as they are and still are today, fought over which goddess was better. Koume and Kotake also probably had a hand in the squabbling. A truce was made and the two witches fused into one, which explains the third throne.

A few more interesting details to note. The giant statue outside of the temple, the right side has crumbled. Did that side lose the fight? Also keep in mind that the majority of the dungeon is accessible by Adult Link, the statue's left side, and probably the more significant half of the two.

The right hand merely holds Silver Gauntlets, which were only used to push at least one block in the whole dungeon. The inside statue only has a key inside a chest on the right hand. Back outside, the left hand holds the Mirror Shield, used much more extensively than the Silver Gauntlets and is thus probably more important. Likewise, the inner statue has the Triforce on the left hand. This really makes me think the west wing of the statue was the losing side, but compromise was made anyways.
>>
>>385360450
Okay, give me an example.
>>
Finally, just above the entrance, we see a small bird object (it has wings and feathers) but a Triforce as the face. Inside, we can find the exact same figure except a single eye replaces the Triforce. What are these things?

I guess I shall examine the serpent motif seen throughout the Spirit Temple. Strictly sticking to Judeo-Christian and Islamic views of the serpent. There are many different meanings, but looking back at the very first example of the serpent, it is that which gave the first humans knowledge of good and evil, knowledge only previously possessed by God. Needless to say, the snake is also evil.

Koume and Kotake, two flying witches (hence the wings), knowledgable and wise in magic and power (hence the Triforce and eye). But snakes? Koume and Kotake are evil beings. But the believers knew that. Did the Spirit Temple house an occult following, or satanists, or something of the sort? Well, that's for another time.
>>
File: FireTemple.jpg (406KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
FireTemple.jpg
406KB, 1280x800px
Another guy did this, but it's still interesting.

The Fire Temple, since oldest memory has stood in the heart of Death Mountain. It a shrine honoring the fiery core of the mountain, according to the guide. So I’ve built upon that. Long ago the ancient Gorons built this shrine to honor the sage of fire. It stood, resonating heat into it's fiery inner shrines. It stayed hidden during the ancient war, gathering heat and hatred. The gods of Hyrule hated seeing the Golden Land being disgraced by war. This anger may have manifested itself inside the Fire Temple creating the bubbles and flare dancers. But most perplexing of all, the god's anger created Volvagia, named after the Goron god of fire, Volvagia.

This reptilian demon infested the temple, growing stronger as the war went on. When the war reached the peak of destruction, so too did Volvagia's strength and anger peak. The beast broke free from the temple, causing a mighty eruption. It flew high over Hyrule, wreaking havoc and killing armies. In an effort to rid Hyrule of Volvagia, the armies banded together and drove it into the Fire Temple.

However, Volvagia was too powerful, and got loose, fleeing into the temple's top floor. The troops followed, chasing him down a square opening back into the room before its lair. They couldn't follow, as a stalagmite had blocked the opening. Knowing the danger, a Goron by the name of Megaton enters the temple with his mythical hammer. He drives it into Volvagia with a mighty swing, killing it forever, or so they had hoped. But then the Hylians made their mistake. While their enemies were also in the temple with them, they took this chance to imprison them in the temple. This angered the gods, having thought that the war was over now.
>>
Years pass. The war is over. Those tortured in the shadow temple were killed, the royal family has returned from the forest temple, the Zoras abandon their base in the water temple, the Gerudos have just discovered the spirit temple, and the shrine now known as the Fire Temple has been returned to being a shrine. The Megaton Hammer is set in the center of the temple. Ages pass. A young boy enters the Death Mountain crater in search of a great fairy.
The heat overwhelms him before he can even glimpse the Fire Temple.

The spirit of Volvagia inhabits the temple, causing minor eruptions. (So I speculate that the temple was created as a shrine to honor Volvagia, but becomes its prison! This would explain the stalagmite that you beat down on with the Megaton Hammer, and other broken pillars. It was also a jail to invaders, who would be thrown into the lava to die!) Seven years later, when a new war began, and Ganondorf began his reign of terror, he revived the demon of hate, Volvagia, to once again strike terror into people during a war. He marched the Gorons into the fiery jail, marching them straight to Hell, basically.

Once a jail to invaders like Ganondorf, it is ironic how now it is he who is imprisoning those who once imprisoned the invaders! Darunia marches into the lair of Volvagia and fights bravely. However, without the Megaton Hammer, he is annihilated by Volvagia, and awakens as the sage. A young man by the name of Link, bearing the Triforce on his hand, clothed in the shirt of Dodongo hide and bomb flower fibers, and wielding a sacred blade enters the temple. He finds the hammer and strikes down Volvagia, this time, for good.

So, I guess the Fire Temple could have been a shrine, then a catostrophic disaster area, then a jail, then a shrine, then a jail, then a quarantined temple of pure hate. Ultimately it was a perpetual Hell!

I got other stuff I saved, smaller pieces of info.
Sorry, I had to clean up some stuff.
>>
>>385348256
Zelda games have always had weird bosses.
>>
>>385360845
Every fucking game ever?

>hurr durr SOURCE ME ON A COMMONLY KNOWN GAME DESIGN FACT
>>
File: Sharp.png (94KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
Sharp.png
94KB, 500x377px
Here's one on the Composer Bros.

Firstly, I was reading through the Shadow Temple analysis and I thought of something fairly interesting. He mentions the Triforce on the boat and believes it to mean that these Hylian sadists were worshipers of the goddesses, but I think it's more than that. I believe they may have been a group of religious fanatics, tearing down non-believers in the name of the goddesses.

Perhaps they were people who could be equated to modern religious extremist groups like Al Qaeda. Like phoenix was suggesting, there may have been a war occurring at the time. Whatever had sparked that war, it sparked in these people a hatred great enough for them to take people in mass quantities to the Shadow Temple, where they tortured them until the walls were splattered in their blood and the sound of their moans and screams could be heard forever echoing around the walls like some kind of curse.

But there's more to it yet. In order to make that boat move, you have to play Zelda's Lullaby on the ocarina. Yet who outside of the royal family and their messengers know that song? When you play it at Darunia's door, he is expecting a messenger of the royal family. How could he be expecting anyone else to know the song that has passed down the royal family line for generations? Certainly a bunch of crazed fanatics fighting in the name of the goddesses shouldn't know the song. Perhaps the royal family hasn't always been so dedicated and peace-loving. It seems as one point in time, Hyrule's royalty was involved in something very, very sinister. Or perhaps the Sheikah, long protectors of the royal family, were in on the operation. Whatever reason they would have, one cannot possibly know.
>>
>>385361648
No, I am serious, give me an example for a level where this applies and explain to me how the game design contributes to the atmosphere. I do not believe that is such a "commonly known thing", but since you are so sure about it I thought you could give me one example. I am not even trying to be sarcastic here. I actually want to discuss game design with you.
>>
File: Flat.png (101KB, 540x426px) Image search: [Google]
Flat.png
101KB, 540x426px
To add on that, I suddenly got into thinking about the Composer Brothers. The Composer Brothers are both buried in the graveyard by Kakoriko Village. They were apparently the composers for the royal family. We know that they created the Sun's Song, which, besides changing night to day and vise versa, has a rather strange effect on Redeads and Gibdos. It freezes them. This seems like a strange side effect, but perhaps it's not a side effect at all. It was probably part of what the song was initially created for.

The Composer Brothers, as composers for the royal family, may have seen the bloodshed in the Shadow Temple and knew that no good could come of it. To create a means of defense against the creatures that would be born of the violence, they created the Sun's Song. It is also likely that they were the initial composers of Zelda's Lullaby, which was probably written as a "code" of sorts to be used as communication amongst the fanatics and was quickly adopted as a key to activate various mechanisms in the temple, like the boat and the water in the bottom of the well that when lowers leads to the room concealing the Lens of Truth and its guard, likely the madman that created it.

Now, back to the Sun's Song. Something about its power to change night to day and vise versa is what houses the power to freeze the Redeads and the Gibdos. Perhaps they thrive in darkness, and cannot live in light. They are always residing in dark places, never a place where light enters in great quantities. Even in Hyrule Castle Town, there is in the daytime a dark cloud in the sky that blocks out the sun's rays. When the Sun's Song is played, it creates "light" in its notes that stuns the Redeads and Gibdos and allows them to be easily killed. It is not light in its purest form, but it is enough to stun them for a few seconds. This also explains why the Stalchidren in Hyrule Field only come out at night, as they are probably related to the Redeads and Gibdos in this aspect.
>>
>>385351365
They still have 'spooky' sections but they are still catered to children. They've been making the games more light-hearted in outward tone. BotW atleast had the bosses look frightnening compared to SS and it did have this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DulKN6Wqg
>>
>>385359664
How was this not censored in the Amerilard version?
>>
>>385360816
Why is Twinrova so damn hot?
What did the artists mean by this?
ywn be hypnotized and force-fucked into submission and evil servitude by Twinrova.
>>
File: Poe.png (3MB, 2159x2369px) Image search: [Google]
Poe.png
3MB, 2159x2369px
Reading that analysis of the Spirit Temple, I’m led to believe that there may be a connection between the Shadow Temple and the Spirit Temple. As I was saying, the Shadow Temple may have been used by a group of crazed religious fanatics to torture their enemies. Perhaps it’s also likely that these people built the Spirit Temple. They were not followers of the three goddesses that created the world, but in fact Koume and Kotake, the false gods that the Spirit Temple was built for. It would explain why the Lens of Truth is needed to get across the desert.

The Poe in the Haunted Wasteland exists solely for the purpose of escorting people across the desert, but ONLY those who have the Lens of Truth. But not just anyone would have the Lens of Truth. It would, presumably, only be passed around between higher members of the organization operating the strings in the Shadow Temple. It was possible that after a certain point of time the Spirit Temple was closed off to all save those higher members who would have the Lens of Truth in their possession.

Perhaps before that point, there was a straight path through the wasteland to the Spirit Temple that anyone could follow without the Lens, but it was closed off, and it was made certain that one could only reach the temple following a more discreet path, one which could only hope to be found with the help of a guide…a guide that could only be seen by those that bore the Lens of Truth. Now, hundreds of years later, the Poe is still there, guiding anyone who has the lens to that sacred place of worship.
>>
File: MM_BigPoe.png (358KB, 563x560px) Image search: [Google]
MM_BigPoe.png
358KB, 563x560px
Under what circumstances does a person have to die to become a Poe, as opposed to becoming a mindless undead creature like a Redead, or simply an inanimate corpse smoldering in a grave? I think that Poes are born when a person dies leaving something unfinished, or had something they still needed to do, perhaps they had something to protect. Phoenix speculated that the four Poe sisters in the Forest Temple existed for the purpose of gaining revenge on the invaders that beat and raped them to death. That was the reason that they became Poes. Each of the Poes in the graveyard has something left unfinished as well, but what?

The Composer Brothers were both Poes, which would mean they also had something left unfinished. Now as you were saying, Runite, if you go into their grave, it’s not a normal grave. What do I mean by that? Well, there’s Redeads walking around and there are pools of boiling slime on the floor. I’m not sure what’s NOT wrong with that picture. Anyway, that grave was probably never intended to be a grave at all.

Perhaps the crazed fanatics ran out of rooms to torture people in the Shadow Temple and used the grave as an extra space. You see how you can pull it backwards? The hole and everything beneath it were probably the first things present in that graveyard. When they were done using that space, they covered it over half-heartedly with a tombstone. Since there was a tombstone there, it just looked like the beginning of a graveyard. Later, it was expanded on. In fact, it even became the burial place of some of the members of the royal family, looking at the grave in the back.

>>385362145
Back then, as long as you weren't cursing, you could get away with a lot of undertones and well-hidden elements.
>>
File: 9a4d69cf3c1b420df5fc809cf99c4750.jpg (751KB, 1137x985px) Image search: [Google]
9a4d69cf3c1b420df5fc809cf99c4750.jpg
751KB, 1137x985px
>>385348256
Humanoid Stalfos, plant monsters and Gohma are the enemies I miss the most in BotW. And Deku Scrubs need to come back. With Gerudo firmly on the side of Hyrule, there's no "outsider" race anymore, and that's kinda boring.
>>
So why did the Composer Brothers become Poes? Here's where that betrayal idea comes in. The Composer Brothers made a song that could be used to fight against the moaning, rotting minions of the royal family and their fanatical followers. When they were caught, they were executed and thrown in what had formally been a torture chamber. Indeed, it makes sense. After all, they were renowned for their music. They created songs which were very helpful, songs that allowed the fanatics to communicate amongst themselves and one even to protect them against the horrors that they created. So why, then, would the Composer Brothers be buried in a tomb that had formally been used as a place to torture nonbelievers, a place where Redeads walk amongst pools of stinking slime and the bones of poor souls litter the floor at the front entrance?

So what, then, is it that the Composer Brothers have left unaccomplished? What is the reason that they are Poes? It is likely because of the Sun’s Song. They must stay behind to make sure that it does not fall into the wrong hands. When you near their grave they come forth to challenge you. They are looking for someone who is worthy of entering and learning their song.

That brings us to the topic of the other Poes in the graveyard. These poor, deceased souls seem to be wandering around at random, and seem to have no reason for their existence. It can only be that they have become Poes in order to protect the Sun’s Song with the Composer Brothers. They come forth to attack anyone who nears the grave of the Composer Brothers, for fear that someone might see it is movable and pull it back, to find themselves looking at the remnants of the horrors that occurred many years past in the Shadow Temple.
>>
>>385362048
It's only scary the first time you see it. All it does is make enemies unkillable and they're piss-easy to avoid. Should have made the world look red for the entire duration, add creepy environmental noises, and had all hell brake loose.
>>
If some innocent person were to stumble upon such a thing, it would strike fear in the villagers of Kakoriko and make them wonder what truly happened in the cave above the graveyard that they have long been told was a mausoleum for nobility long deceased.

But under what circumstances did Dante the grave keeper die? What allowed him to become a ghost, but not a Poe? But let’s skip away from that for a moment and look at Dante’s grave. It’s a complex maze of tunnels and passageways with only two exits, and only one that can be used as an entrance: the hole in the graveyard and the door in the windmill. But ask yourself this: what kind of tomb has two exits?

Only one that was never meant to be a tomb at all, but perhaps an escape route. The cult operating the horrors of the Shadow Temple likely knew that things would not be pretty for them if anyone ever found out what they were doing. They needed a way to get away fast if there was any trouble. They built a secret escape route that led into the windmill, something to use as a last resort. They knew their way through the complex maze beneath, but others did not. People that attempted to chase after them would become lost and forced to turn back. Who would guess that it led out to the windmill?
>>
I do not believe that Dante was buried in the tomb that you find him in. He chose it, and for a purpose. It was for that same purpose that he opted to be the grave keeper. He knew about the horrors that had occurred in the Shadow Temple. Perhaps he was a descendent of one of the fanatics and had learned about the whole thing from reading a diary of his ancestors. However it happened, he knew, and he wished to protect the secret. Upon his death he chose the tomb that he knew had been used as an escape route, and he stationed himself there to protect it and make sure that no one learned it was connected to the windmill.

Anyone who was worthy of finding out, he figured, could surely best him in a race. The rest he would chase away without thought. Dante was fast, and seemed to enjoy racing. He could have challenged anyone who came upon his tomb to a duel, or a game of cards, but he chose a race. At first he offered the hook shot up as a prize, but even after it was claimed he allowed Link to race him every time he returned. My guess is that Dante was a very good friend of the running man. Perhaps he knows the secret to beating him to the bridge.

Anyway, Dante likely became a regular ghost instead of a Poe because he rigged it for himself. He set himself up to die in the grave of his choosing and had a plan for what he would do after his death. I guess in doing so, he met conditions that allowed him to be a normal ghost after his death, one who did not wander solemnly for eternity with a lantern, cackling and attacking unsuspecting souls who entered the graveyard.

Well, that’s about everything I have to say about the Shadow Temple. To me, it definitely comes off as having the most depth out of all of them. It’s a very mysterious place.
>>
Here's one on the Great War.

Now, to bring everything thus far theorized together, I believe that the story of Hyrule’s great war went something like this: Koume and Kotake were gaining power and soon had gained a following of worshippers. I believe Hyrule at this time was split into two religions: those who followed Koume and Kotake, and those who followed the three goddesses. In fact, it was likely believed by Koume and Kotake’s followers that they were two of the three goddesses, their true names in fact Din and Farore. It was likely also believed that their third form, Twinrova, was Nayru. I believe Nayru was perceived as the most powerful of the goddesses because Nayru’s love is the most powerful of the three spells (Kind of a stretch, maybe).

Thus, the world was split. Some believed that Koume and Kotake were the goddesses, come to Hyrule in the form of two witches that could form together into what was believed to be the third goddess, Nayru. Others believed that Koume and Kotake were evil witches, nothing more, and nothing less. They still believed that Din, Farore, and Nayru had yet to make an appearance in Hyrule, and would probably come at the time of the apocalypse or something similar.

The leaders of this new religion declared themselves to be called Shiekah. With fire in their hearts they declared war on those that had not yet converted to the new religion. They threatened to torture and kill those that would refuse. Thus, Hyrule was engulfed in war.
>>
>>385362153
twinrova has jiggle physics in OoT and OoT 3D.
and twinrova's "double dynamite attack" is sexy dynamite attack in JP
>>
Everything became chaos. The royal family retreated to their secluded castle in the forest, where they hoped the fanatical followers of the witches would not find them. The castle had been built for this very purpose, as a place for them to hide in the event of an emergency. The war that now engulfed Hyrule could be called nothing less. The Zoras also made a retreat, from Lake Hylia into the Water Temple which had been built many years previously as a shrine of worship to the god of the sea.

With the royal family gone, Hyrule’s army was vastly overwhelmed by the raging lunatics. They stormed the country, attacking villages and taking all prisoners to the Shadow Temple, where they were tortured to death. In a desperate attempt to save Hyrule, the Gorons of Death Mountain released the dragon Volvagia from its fiery grave. Unfortunately, this proved to be a grave mistake, as the dragon only helped to add to the chaos. At last it was smitten by Megaton’s godly hammer, but the war did not cease.

The Shiekah were also creating a weapon of war. It was something that would create destruction on an even greater level than Volvagia. That thing was Bongo Bongo, the shadow beast. The Shiekah succeeded in creating the beast with the help of Koume and Kotake, and they prepared to unleash it upon Hyrule. They enlisted the help of a crazed alchemist to make for them a lens that would allow them to see the invisible Bongo Bongo’s head, so they could fight it if anything were to go wrong. Before its scheduled release, Bongo Bongo’s huge disembodied hands pounded on the skin of the giant war drum in the deepest pit of the Shadow Temple, a sound which could be heard echoing in every room of the temple. It was a sound that struck fear in all those that were being kept there, and it let them know that unless stopped, the Shiekah and their followers were soon to have victory.
>>
I'm enjoying reading this, thanks anon
>>
>>385362738
>Dante the grave keeper
>>
In the forest, invaders had made their way through the Lost Woods and were storming the Forest Temple. They made their way in, and proceeded to rape the king’s wife and his three daughters before killing them. The king managed to escape through a back exit and moved to a different hiding place, possibly with the Zoras in the Water Temple.

At about this point in time Koume and Kotake had a disagreement. Each one wanted to have more power than the other. They were equal in the eyes of their followers, but that was not good enough for them. Now drowned in power, they no longer cared about working together. Suddenly, their army was split into two halves: Those that favored Koume, and those that favored Kotake. They started fighting, and it turned into a small-scale civil war.

Now fighting against each other, the followers of the witches were severely weakened. The king saw an opportunity before him, and he returned once more to his castle. Once more taking authority, he ordered a simultaneous attack on the Spirit and Shadow Temples. The Hylian army marched into the temples and laid waste to everything. The enemy army was not suspecting such a full-scale attack, and they were hardly prepared for one in their weakest state. In a desperate attempt to drive off the invaders, Koume and Kotake ended their dispute and resolved to join together once more as Twinrova. In their strongest form they attacked the Hylian army, but it was already too late.
>>
>>385357839
This. Call it nostalgia but there was an added layer of uncanny uneasiness with low poly games.
>>
They were overpowered by magic, and were sealed away in a concealed room behind the head of a giant statue depicting a snake goddess, where it was hoped they would remain forever. Unfortunately for the Hylian army, however, Twinrova used the last of her powers to seal the path away from the Spirit Temple, and the soldiers were trapped. They died there, and joined the piles of bones that can be found lying around the temple.

The attack on the Shadow Temple was also a success. The fanatics were driven out and any prisoners still alive were freed. The Shiekah, leaders of the operation, escaped into the underground maze they had built, and there stayed some time before they were found. They were brought before the king of Hyrule to be tried, but he made an agreement with them. They were to seal away the creation they had made in the Shadow Temple, as only they had the power to do so; and they were to serve as the protectors of the royal family, until time should stop.

Thus the war was ended, and Hyrule saw peace once again. The crazed alchemist that that had created the Lens of Truth still worshipped Twinrova in secret, and with the lens that he had created he designed a way for himself to reach the Spirit Temple, and only he. That way was the Poe he stationed there, who, judging by my theory on Poes, was possibly a servant of the alchemist who had lived on after death for the purpose of serving his master. He served him in the way of a guide, one that could only be seen with the Lens of Truth. The alchemist for some years would visit the Spirit Temple alone, but eventually he was recognized and captured by Hylians.

The Shiekah, now serving the royal family, used their magic to turn him into a beast, indeed the Dead Hand that now guards the Lens of Truth in the bottom of the well.
>>
>>385363067
WHAT
DID
THEY
MEAN
BY
THIS?
basically the entirety of last year I only fapped to Twinrova. It was the longest time that I consistently jacked it to only ONE fictional character.
I don't even know why I find her so attractive.
>>
>>385363378
>proceeded to rape the king’s wife and his three daughters before killing them
Starting to get into fanfiction tier here
>>
File: Gold_Skulltula.png (137KB, 312x355px) Image search: [Google]
Gold_Skulltula.png
137KB, 312x355px
Well, having covered everything I can think of about the temples, I'm just going to go over a few other points that were interesting to me. First of all is the cursed family of the Spider House and the Gold Skulltulas.

I believe that during the war people fled their homes and hid many of their belongings in underground caverns, then covered them up. These are the many grottoes you can find throughout Hyrule Field and elsewhere. Yet, strangely, all that stuff is still in those holes. There were probably a number of things that might have occurred, with different cases for different people.

Some might not have been able to find where they had hidden their treasures, and gave up; others were so ecstatic about the war being over that they forgot about the treasures they had hidden; and others still probably just died during the war. Anyway, along come the family in the spider house. They tell you they've been cursed because of greediness. What sort of greediness? Well, I would guess that they went around with their equivalent of a metal detector, the Stone of Agony, found people's treasures, and dug them up to keep them for themselves. It seems they kept some of the treasures they found: An adult's wallet, a giant's wallet, some Bombchus, a Piece of Heart, and a bunch of huge rupees. Remind me while we're helping these thieves? To get what they stole from other people? Yeah, and I thought Link was a hero. Shame on you, Link.

I know one of you died to these.

>>385363781
>Of course, this is all purely speculative.
>>
>>385348256

Yeah, when will nintendo go back to their roots and make mature games for mature gamers like myself when I was 11 years old?
>>
File: GossipStone.png (55KB, 199x223px) Image search: [Google]
GossipStone.png
55KB, 199x223px
This is probably my favorite one, and makes the most sense when you think about it.

Hey, how about those Gossip Stones? And that Mask of Truth? It seems that Gossip Stones are used as time-telling devices, but why are there so many of them hidden in secret grotoes around Hyrule? It's the equivelent of taking a clock, throwing it in a hole, and leaving it there. Well, this probably also has something to do with the war. Along with hiding their treasures in underground caves, people probably hid themselves in them too, to escape from the violence. They brought Gossip Stones in with them as a means to tell time. There are, indeed, Gossip Stones in some of the oddest places. Of course, people weren't just going on vacation here.

They were hiding from a war, so they would go anywhere. That means on top of unscalable cliffs, or wherever. Oh, and these people needed someone to talk to while they were sitting alone in a cramped hole for a few months, so they brought Masks of Truth (These were probably made in mass quantities at the time) to talk to the Gossip Stones. Also, notice how something weird happens when you plant a bomb near a Gossip Stone? It glows blue for a few moments and then shoots off like a rocket. Chances are, this was used as a distress signal. If there was something wrong, you could shoot off your Gossip Stone and people would come running.
>>
OoT is vidyakino.
>>
File: killurself.jpg (108KB, 612x497px) Image search: [Google]
killurself.jpg
108KB, 612x497px
>>385359813
>Again, purely speculative.

You could almost call it a theory.

A game theory.
>>
File: 1357357457930.jpg (667KB, 810x812px) Image search: [Google]
1357357457930.jpg
667KB, 810x812px
There's something about impossibly huge, monolithic structures that freak me out. It just doesn't look natural. I'm already piss scared of heights, but then this place comes along and gives me an entirely new thing to have nightmares about by reversing the fucking gravity.
>>
>>385364226
God DAMN MM and OoT were so fucking good.

Love how if you look underneath those blocks outside Stone Tower, the Triforce is on the bottom of them with tongues on the blocks reaching down to them. That ancient civilization was actively mocking the gods.
>>
File: Gerudo_Guard.png (99KB, 271x479px) Image search: [Google]
Gerudo_Guard.png
99KB, 271x479px
The Gerudo are indeed extremely interesting, but I find it difficult to come up with any theories on them. I wanted to do some investigating in the game itself, but my television burnt out yesterday and I'm not going to be able to play the game until we either get it fixed or get a new one. I'll write what I've thought of thus far, and then do some looking around later to see if I find anything else.

The Gerudo society is clearly matriarchal, being entirely run by females. They don't show a lot of respect for men, but the one male that's born every thousand (Or is it hundred?) years becomes their king. In Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf is their current king. The king, or Gerudos in general, must be expected to live a long time, since presumably one king would need to live the entire thousand years before the birth of the next one, in order to keep the society functioning. But if a king dies before those years are over, does the society fall apart?

Obviously, during periods in which they don't have a king to rule them, the Gerudos just choose one of the many females amongst them to be their leader.
>>
Since the Gerudos obviously don't have a lot of respect for men, I wonder then if the king of the Gerudos is really the true ruler, or just a figurehead. In the case of Ganondorf, he obviously muscled his way to the top, but it may not always be that way. As far as I can tell, the only reason the Gerudos would ever need a king would be as a tool. If the rest of Hyrule is a patriarchal society, then a male ruler of the Gerudos would get a fair deal more respect than a female one. He would be able to form better relations with the king and with the Gorons and the Zoras.

Look around the Gerudo Fortress. If these women are thieves, where's all their loot? They're guarding mostly empty rooms. Ganondorf must have taken all the loot for himself, then, and hid it. Where? In the temples, perhaps. Now although this was edited in later versions of the game, the first version had the Muslim symbol of the moon and star on some of the switches, right? I think, if I remember correctly, you also see that symbol in some places around the Gerudo Fortress. It's probably a Gerudo symbol. Since that symbol is on some of the switches in the early dungeons and the temple, Ganondorf probably installed them there.

He put traps all over the place, and put in the switches to give himself a way to get around. Chances are, then, he probably hid a lot of the Gerudo's treasures in the dungeons. There is some pretty nice stuff in some of them.
>>
>>385363665
Combination of two best girls. Often, I will encounter two best girls in media and wish there was some way to combine them, to have both at once in a single character. Half and half, if you will.
>>
EH REH aside the Forest Temple theme is so creepy and surreal, I love it

>>385364398
It's implied that Gerudo women kidnap men to forcefully snu-snu them to keep their society alive. Why do you think they didn't just kill those 5 carpenter guys?
>>
File: 1427048166025.png (646KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1427048166025.png
646KB, 800x900px
>see thumbnail in catalog
>first thought was that Morpha was actually a thick blue slimegirl
Hooo boy
>>
>>385364512
I don't find Koume or Kotake attractive in the slightest though. Only Twinrova.
>>
Morpha is the scariest thing in this game.
>>
File: Sfmeadow.jpg (653KB, 1280x785px) Image search: [Google]
Sfmeadow.jpg
653KB, 1280x785px
>>385364563
>Again, this is purely speculative.

The whole time I was reading the Shadow Temple analysis, my mind was screaming "No one expects the Sheikahn Inquisition!" As far as that temple is concerned, I'm in complete agreement. It's the Forest Temple that I take issue with.

I find it more likely that the temple was originally a summer castle for the Royal Family. The Stalfos were their guards, and the maze at the beginning was just that: A garden maze. Given how far off the beaten path FT is, I doubt it would really be in the path of invaders, though that could have been different before abandonment, as I'm about to explain.

My guess is that the Poe Sisters were conspirators against the crown, posing as humble servants but ready to assassinate when the time was right. Perhaps, at first, they were successful, taking down a couple royals in the room(s?) where Wallmasters would later reside, keeping in mind that these things generally appear where significant deaths take place. The Guards eventually caught them, though, and sentenced them to a swift execution.
>>
The Sisters couldn't rest, though, because their work was not finished. The Royal Line was still going strong. This yearning to complete their task turned them into poes, and their strength of will turned them into powerful ones at that. Haunting the castle mercilessly, the Royal Family eventually just abandoned it, telling the guards stationed there to not come back to Castle Town until the Sisters were taken care of. Years passed as the guards tried to fight off the Sisters.

The castle grew into a state of disrepair, as nothing could get done for the constant fear they lived in. As vegetation began to take control of the palace, and the Lost Woods creeped in on it, slowly, the castle became part of the Deku Tree's domain. By the time the Hylian guards realized that they were, in fact, lost in the Lost Woods, they were already doomed to become Stalfos.

The Forest Sage sanctified the Sacred Meadow in memory of the fallen guards. This holy magic, ironically, was enough to seal away the sisters, so long as a Forest Sage remained active and awake. The Royal Summer Castle became a place of worship, rechristened as the Forest Temple.
>>
>>385364785
>Not the giant invisible armless giga nigger cyclops
Water monsters always make me shit my pants, with the sole exception of Morpha. You can clearly see his whole arena so there's no fear of the unknown, and his design isn't particularly menacing (with the exception of the fact that he can drag you under the water).
Water bosses in other Zelda games on the other hand, absolutely terrifying.
>>
File: barinade2.jpg (404KB, 625x750px) Image search: [Google]
barinade2.jpg
404KB, 625x750px
OoT Link sure saw some shit
>>
>>385364948
That's some sick copypasta skill
>>
I do agree that the Forest Temple was originally built as a summer castle for the Royal Family, but it is without a doubt built in the prime place to be used for an emergency retreat. True, the hedge might have been just that--a hedge maze, like it seems suitable to have on the grounds of a castle.

What is strange about it is the fact that it is built at the front of the castle, so that you must navigate it in order to even reach the castle entrance. Such implies that it was not built for enjoyment, but for protection. There are ladders, but the fact that these are built on those sides of the hedges which face the castle means that they are meant to be climbed by people--soldiers, for instance--coming OUT of the castle into the hedge maze, rather than those coming in from the entrance.

This and the fact that there are even ladders at all, in a hedge maze, seems to imply that they were made for archers to climb atop the hedges and fire down on invaders. Finally, there are pools of water here and there throughout the maze, some of which you have to swim through in order to reach the exit. You are nearly defenseless when you are swimming in water, so those poor invaders just made easy pickings for the archers when they had to go in those pools.
>>
Now I'm figuring the members of the royal family didn't want to navigate a hedge maze and swim through pools EVERY time they went to the castle, so there was probably a secret back entrance into the castle somewhere. That being said, the whole hedge maze in front--or in back, presuming that the secret entrance was actually the main entrance as used by the Royal Family--must exist entirely for the purpose of defense.

There's not even that much defense at Hyrule Castle, where the king obviously spends most of his time. What that seems to say is that apart from a summer castle, the Forest Temple was also built as the king's last resort, the place for him to run to when he had no other options--there would be no other reason for him to take such extensive measures. And, from looking around inside the temple itself, it seems very likely that the king at one point in time had to use the castle for that very purpose.
>>
>>385365025
Definitely one of the scarier bosses.

...Now that I think about it, all the child link bosses are exceedingly more terrifying than the adult link ones. There's gotta be some symbolism there.
>>
>>385365024
>>Not the giant invisible armless giga nigger cyclops
I don't remember any cyclops
>>385365215
everything is scarier as a kid.
>>
On the subject of the Lost Woods, you seem to say that it just came, like some kind of weed, and just like that the forest was this creepy place that turns everyone into a Stalfos. I don't believe that to be the case. It was the gods that did it, and my primary defense of this statement is the Great Flood.

When Ganondorf returned to Hyrule and there was no hero to stop him, the gods responded by flooding the entire earth. This argues that the goddesses will not hesitate to take drastic measures--such as restructuring the landscape--in order to prevent disaster. Such is what happened in the forest. When invaders took control of the Forest Temple, the godesses responded by putting a curse over the forest, and it became the Lost Woods. The invaders, and sadly perhaps also those guards that had been taken hostage inside, became Stalfos, or some of the other creatures that wander the temple (Although that goes against the clearly stated fact that everyone who enters the forest turns into a Stalfos).

The curse also made it so that most paths through the forest would only lead back to its entrance. Naturally people became afraid of the place, and they stopped going there. The Forest Temple dropped from mankind's knowledge, and that was the intention of the godesses.
>>
>>385365329
Bongo bongo m8
>>
>>385348256
Aonuma's first solo stint as director on Zelda coincided with the birth of his first child;

> I would say that Wind Waker is particularly special because I worked on that just as my son was being born. So it’s the first game I created as a father. For example, the King of Red Lions, I created that, and he has a very paternal, very fatherly-sounding voice, so that I think comes across a little bit. So it was a new life milestone, the timing of that particular project, so it’s certainly special to me and I’ll always remember that.

>When I first started making Zelda games, I was more interested in the enemy characters than in Link himself. But while I was making Twilight Princess, I was listening to the theme on an iPod while walking hand in hand with my child, and I suddenly burst into tears. I was thinking about all the awful trials Link would have to go through in the new game. I realised that Link really is my other child. I don't inhabit the character so much as watch him from somewhere very close.

He associates Link with his son, which probably makes him reluctant to put the character in darker settings like in OoT and Majora's Mask.
>>
>>385365367
oh shit.
I forgot all about that guy, even now I only remember him as another hit-hands boss.
>>
>>385365215
Triforce of Courage
>>
File: Wallmaster.png (37KB, 219x193px) Image search: [Google]
Wallmaster.png
37KB, 219x193px
I'm tapped out, That's about every other thing that was interesting in that bundle of theories I had. Another thing that made Ocarina and Majora so standout was they were still early entries in the franchise, before everything became streamlined. Even Twilight Princess doesn't have the same atmosphere or undertones, and if it does, I never payed attention to it. It also helps that timeline nonsense was virtually nonexistent.
>>
File: clintonpantsuits2.gif (426KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
clintonpantsuits2.gif
426KB, 500x281px
>>385364226
Inverted Stone Temple theme was ethereal as fuck. That was one of my favorite tracks from the game.

Also was there a way to get on top of those columns on either side of the temple? I remember there being like fire on the tops and I always imagined a chest being up there.
>>
>>385365329
This, though on another note, two of those bosses are parasites and one is a massive creature that can eat you in one gulp if it wanted to. A decent attention to detail.
>>
File: rova5.png (545KB, 903x545px) Image search: [Google]
rova5.png
545KB, 903x545px
>>385363665
the concept of two "older" women becoming an eight foot tall twin-tailed bombshell with milf proportions and a nice size difference will do that to ya.
it doesn't help that i have got a witch fetish from that and those arm sleeves...
>>
File: tfw M will never play with me.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tfw M will never play with me.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
i'm glad OoT lore autism threads are coming back
miss all the

missed all the good 2013-2014 Zelda threads too when the Oracles games were being re-released to VC
>>
>>385367285
Sadly, they die quickly. I reckon the audience on /v/ changes with each year.
>>
Reminder that the sages are all dead
>>
File: nostradamus.png (495KB, 1048x599px) Image search: [Google]
nostradamus.png
495KB, 1048x599px
A number of years ago I wrote up like 4 or 5 of these copypasta stories but I ended up stashing them away somewhere in the depths of my Facebook or email hell.

Why?

because /v/ is pretentious and I didn't want the lore to be bogged down by people taking my work seriously. In hindsight I should have just posted it and it would have probably become as irrelevant as this copypasta which I don't think more than a few read. I sure as hell don't. Some of the topics I had: The story of the lookout towers, an original take on the Forest Temple, and something about the Kokiri vs Mad Scrub wars that are hinted at in the game.

Maybe I'll look them up and post them in like a month. If you drop some contact info I'll hit you up if you're really into this kinda thing.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.