/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, /v/ this is it. Dawn of the final day, do I buy a Switch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: Nintendo Switch.jpg (15KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo Switch.jpg
15KB, 480x270px
Alright, /v/ this is it. Dawn of the final day, do I buy a Switch or don't I? If I don't end up buying it tomorrow then I doubt I'm going to bother for a while, so this decision is critical.

Breath of The Wild is one of the main reasons I want one, but it's also the game I'm most worried is shit. I don't know about you guys, but the main draw for Zelda games to me has always been the dungeons and as I hear it the dungeons in BoTW are lacking (some even say there are no dungeons). If that is true then it begs the question, what the fuck is there to do in the game then? I don't want to spoil myself too much so I'm just going by the things I know, and all I know is that you collect seeds and go to shrines. When I first heard of this I thought they would be little side things you do but nobody seems to be saying anything else you actually do which leaves me to believe that this is the bulk of what you're doing and that doesn't sound fun at all. They sound like great side missions but that's all.

I've never owned a Wii U by the way.

Somebody give me some non bias opinions to help me choose.
>>
theres nothing to do in this game. hope you like collecting 900 korok seeds for a SHITTY reward and 120 copy pasted shrines with the same aesthetic and boring ass music. not even fun as a side quest kind of thing, they're just so dreadfully boring.
>>
>>385322270
Yes fucking buy it. BotW is 11/10. There are 4 "big" dungeons and over 100 mini dungeons called shrines scattered around with a lot of clever puzzles.

It is very different from all previous 3D Zeldas. But it's better for it. It's an incredible open world that is absolutely amazing to explore.

Plus Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Metroid Prime 4.

I don't regret my Switch purchase at all.
>>
>>385322270
Why don't you watch some gameplay?
It's the best you can do
>>
>>385323182
I've watched bits and pieces, but I don't want to overly spoil myself.

>>385323061
Shrines seem cool but again, they seem like they would lend themselves more towards being side things rather than the bulk of the game.

Is there no actual mini dungeons? Like Ocarina of Times Ice Cave / Under the Well?
>>
>>385323676
Some of the shrines require you to solve puzzles on the open world in order to get to the shrine, but most of them are just sitting there, sometimes in hard-to-reach places. The shrines themselves aren't very long and can all be beaten in under 5 minutes I'd say. The four main dungeons are well-designed but also not very long. The real appeal of this game is exploring the open-world which does have a decent amount of puzzles and mini-dungeon type encounters.
>>
As of right now there are 3 games for the switch. Don't let drones tell you otherwise. BotW, Mario Kart and Spla2n are all great, but it's all we've got right now.
That being said, there are a T O N of good to great and some GOAT games coming out for the switch later in its life. Xenoblade looks alright I guess, even though the character design is fucking H O R R I B L E and Mario Odyssey looks really good, the rabbids shit looks passable too I guess, and we have the promise of fucking NMH3, a new SMT and Metroid Prime 4.
>>
Only 10/10 thing is the open world. The 4 dungeons are alright, shrines can be good, but most of the time I feel like i'm doing them just to grind upgrade since they get tedious. Combat can also be boring outside of the open world.

If you play zelda for the story or dungeons this isn't for you. There just isn't any meat in those categories to justfy a 60 dollar purchase. The VA is bad too minus a character.
>>
>>385323676

Just finished my first playthrough, got all shrines before attempting the final boss, none of them really felt like a chore.
To be honest I had a lot of fun with it, most fun I've had in years with a single player game.
Its true that there is pretty much no "end game", (IE nothing to do after beating the final boss) but then again, that's how EVERY Zelda game ever has been.
Was worth it for me, and I'm also getting Metroid Prime 4 whenever that comes out.
>>
>>385322803

This is the worst opinion I have ever read on /v/

Holy shit what a delusional faggot you are
>>
>>385324554
sorry. i meant BOTW is flawless! keep crying that someone has a different opinion you fucking pussy.
>>
>>385322270
BotW is one of the best games ever made. /v/ is utterly assblasted and in denial over it.

BotW is break from the regular Zelda conventions, and understandably that may piss some people off. But in it's place is an absolute masterclass in game design, packed with next-level gameplay and a genuine benchmark for all open world games to come.

Plus the Switch is great, I play comfy co-op snipperclips in bed with my qt 8/10 gf in between fuck sessions. This can be you too. Make the Switch.
>>
>>385323676
This is the only Zelda I've played that wasn't the original.
I bought my Switch just for Zelda, and now I have that and Street Fighter. I'm a PC gamer myself, so I find that the games I have right now aren't as interesting as my PC library, thus I rarely have a reason to go back, even with Zelda being the game that it is.
As for Zelda, I've done everything there is to do without trying to make it too repetitive. That is: shrines, divine beasts, mini-boss-hunting (Lynel farming up the ass), defeating Ganon twice...
The shrines are usually physics based puzzles, some are decent, some are annoying and not interesting at all.
The divine beasts are a story mission that is kind of like a dungeon, but with really weird shapes and quirks. I have to admit that those were fun, much more so than the shrines themselves. However, you finish them and can't go back in unless you start a new save. Aside from those, the only things you could remotely consider a dungeon are probably the dark forest, the great korok forest or whatever, and Hyrule Castle, which is really big and pretty damn cool to explore.
The mini-bosses are probably really awesome the first time you see them, after that, once you figure out how to effectively defeat them, they are basically just like every other enemy, even the Lynels, which are harder to master, but once you do, they are your bitch forever. IMO this makes the game way too easy. There's no difficulty setting unless you pay for it in DLC, so the game is really easy, but it's not terrible for a first walkthrough.
Without comparing it to any other Zelda, it was a very nice game, but doesn't have much replayability at all unless you are braindead and enjoy repeating repetitive things. There's a lot to explore, but once you've done it all, you will find yourself at a blank page.
>>
>>385324527
Why would you expect something new to open up after you do the thing you work towards for the entirety of the game..?
>>
Wow it's actually crazy the amount of passion switchfags pull out to defend their purchase "BOTW is perfect" " MK8D is the superior version, almost a new game" "ARMS is the best new IP ever" " Splatoon2 is awesome look at those japanese sales number"
>>
>>385324527
Adding to this, I forgot to mention that the start of the game is really the most fun, when it's more about survival, scavanging and figuring out how to do to stuff. Later on weapons, food and supplies are more available.
Exploring, in my opinion, was great, I constantly found myself getting sidetracked no matter where I went, which usually I dislike, and get overwhelmed by the vast landscape/all the shit to do. This was NOT the case in BotW for me, luckily.
>>
>>385325052
>things no one in this thread said
>>
BOTW is fun for about 100 hours, but there really isn't a lot to do after getting every shrine. Splatoon is great and is the main reason I bought the console.
>>
>>385325175
>>385324836
>BotW is one of the best games ever made
>>385323061
>BotW is one of the best games ever made
>>
>>385322270
A lot of the experience of being in dungeons or long outings is that the survival aspects kind of water down any danger. Older Zelda games were careful to balance how you were able to heal yourself, but you can pack virtually infinite healing accessible instantly via menu.
>>
>>385324936
Im not. Its just one of the more common complaints I see about BotW on /v/. I'm not saying the game is perfect, it has flaws, but it still gave me the most fun I've had in years with a single player game.
>>
>>385322270
If you really want to play BOTW, then the price is worth it.

Otherwise I would say hold off until Odyssey or see if they release a Switch 1.1
>>
File: IMG_3550.jpg (37KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3550.jpg
37KB, 480x270px
It gots pacman
>>
I am so fucking torn on this shit. It's legit pissing me off.

Here's how I really thought BoTW was going to be structured.

>Huge World
>Shrines everywhere (acting as bite size mini dungeons)
>Actual mini dungeons dotted around the map at places of interest (Again, akin to OoT's Ice Cavern etc)
>Huge sprawling actual dungeons

From the sound of it though, the shrines really are the bulk of the game and the dungeons or divine beasts, whatever you want to call them, are not exactly big either.

So I'm sitting here trying to process how people are getting like 200 hours out of the game, surely there's something people aren't telling me, unless the shrines are bigger than I was lead to believe, because I thought they were 1-2 rooms in size.

>>385325550
I've heard about that too. I could just put some restrictions on myself so that I can't eat food or something.
>>
>>385326071
If you try that, I guess just stick to like only having like being able to only eat cooked food and only having two or three lines of food and like, I dunno, no roasts because those things can stack.

>100+ roasted prime steak

Come on now...
>>
>>385322270
If you never owned a Wii U and you enjoy the not very narrative oriented first party Nintendo games, it's a great purchase. People say it's hard to find in stock though.

BotW is a very good game, if you like what you have seen of it go for it.
>>
Have they fixed the numerous hardware issues that plague this thing yet? I feel like waiting until they inevitably make another iteration.
>>
>>385324554
but he is right
>>
>>385325409
>MK8D
>ARMS
>Splatoon 2
???
>>
>>385326071
I found myself spending most of my time carefully exploring chunks of the world at a specific pace. If you ask me, some of the most fun in this shit is finding a hidden shrine...and then the shrine is just kind of just more of a reward in itself.

Then again, I somehow spent almost one hundred hours in every elderscrolls games completely ignoring the story and just being some sort of cave-spelunker-fetishist.
>>
>>385326475
there's no way they're going to be making another iteration anytime soon.
>>
>>385326593
>port
>shit
>enhanced port
>>
BotW is still the only new game worth playing on the thing. Splatoon 2 is a rehash, MK8D is a port, and ARMS is already dead. FAST Racing Neo is cool if you need an F-Zero/Wipeout fix, but that's about it.
>>
>>385322270
you'll play a couple of games, find out that nintendo literally just rehashes most of their games and maybe release a gem once in a while and then your switch will collect dust
>>
>>385326702

In what way is ARMS "shit"? I'm not attempting to call you stupid or anything, I'm just curious as to what arguments people actually have against ARMS besides "WII BOXING 2" and "MOTION CONTROLS"
>>
>>385326071
There are tons of side quests apart from the shrines, but the appeal of the game is exploration. There are very few games that afford you the absolute freedom of traversal that BotW offers. If you NEED direction to play a game, there's enough of that to keep you focused, but the real appeal is simply the absolute freedom that the game gives you, and the joy of exploring the world itself. There are just so many intriguing things to find.

It's the kinda game where you're riding along a windswept path, then you spot something unusual on a mountaintop off in the distance, turn your horse toward it, scale the mountain, find something wondrous (even if it's not related to any quest or has no value other than being a cool thing to see) and then leap from the mountain and glide back down to your horse to continue your journey.

That's what BotW is all about. It's almost nothing like the previous 3D Zeldas, but it doesn't need to be because it is just an incredible experience in its own right.

If I hadn't just bought Spla2n, I'd probably be pumping even more time into BotW. I only just started hard mode.
>>
>>385326925
>no content
>non-fighting modes are garbage
>both control options suck
>rewards overly-defensive play
>>
The controller it comes with really sucks and feels awful
>>
>>385322270
Here is the thing: the bulk of the game is Hyrule itself.
The traditional puzzles are still there, the game has enough content for a zelda gameplay wise, but there is more emphasis on the overworld now.
I mostly really liked it.
>>
>>385327940
Is the overworld solid enough to carry the game though? I'm not gonna be walking around thinking "woah, and to my left here we have more empty fields" like memesters would have me believe?
>>
BoTW is a solid 8/10

A game that has absolutely nothing that feels worth obtaining outside the mastersword because you've already picked up 200 of the things makes exploration unrewarding, even if it is fun. Kinda lowers the desire to explore once you're literally throwing weapons away to pick up new ones because the game gives you way too many.

The lack of enemy variety is fucking dire though. the NES game had more enemy types. This is literally "If by water: spawn lizardos. If not: bobkins." with the occasional larger bobkin. It makes the fun combat become incredibly repetitive.

The game as a base is great but it feels they built the world and mechanics then went "ok fuck the rest"
>>
>>385322270
NICE BLOG U FAG
>>
>>385328710
>The lack of enemy variety is fucking dire though
I actually forgot to mention that, that was another of my worries.
Lack of dungeons and lack of enemy variety.
Fuck sake, my two biggest fears seems to be what BoTW has.

It seems to be a great open world game from what I've heard but the lack of those two things alone is giving me second thoughts.
>>
Zelda was abysmal. I've enjoyed all of them from the N64 generation onward, except for the ones I didn't play (4S, SS, DS games).

The Switch actually has a great line-up though and in spite of my concerns, I'm loving Splatoon 2.
>>
>>385328346
This is up to you to decide.
For me it's the best open world I ever saw in action game.
While it's true that are many shrines and even much more koroks, they are not shitted out like shitposters say.
I went for all the shrines and some of them were pretty well hidden.
Koroks are way too many but they are useful when seeing the map to remember where you already passed in the late game.
>>
Don't buy one. It has no games.
>>
>>385329121
So don't bother buying it then. Everyone is enjoying the Game Of The Year. Whatever.
>>
>>385324554
Irony
>>
>>385329121
Enemies are few but they can equip different weapons.
Some of them like lizards have different skills depending on some factors.
Seriously try it on cemu if you are in doubt and see for yourself.
>>
>>385322270
Jesus christ this thread again, just get it, you clearly want it you fucking fag
>>
>>385328710
>lizardos
>bobkin
I won't challenge your point but did you play the game?
>>
>>385330619
Fine fine, fuck it, I'll get it. If it's shit I'll just shitpost about it forever to make myself feel better.
>>
>>385330198
where do I get botw iso for cemu?
>>
>>385322270
>Good
Huge world, bigger than expected
Fun to use quirky mechanics (cook,hunt)
Hard to run out of things to find
Enjoyable combat for zelda (parry,dodge)
Tons of environmental puzzles

>Bad
Story is drama, no mushroom fantasy feel
Dungeons just 5 shrines
Dungeons all the same
Bosses look the same & underwhelming
Shrines grow boring, and you'll do a lot
Equipment durability always little tedious
Most things are quantity ovet quality

I mean it when i say it doesnt feel like the praised zeldas of old. you'll enjoy for a few days and then not play it past then unless you're one of those players worried about getting every little trophy, in which case you'd enjoy it. Doesn't feel like a point to continue unless you enjoy collecting, but some fun to be had in learning the mechanics. Overall 7.5/10
>>
>>385331013
please someone
>>
>>385332178
darkumbra forum
>>
>>385322270
Buy it, play Zelda and Splatoon, maybe Mario Kart which is one of the best racing games ever, and soon Mario and Xenoblade. Fun colorful games where everything isn't grey and brown-colored zombie shooters for autistic teenagers like on the PS4.
>>
>>385322270
The thing is, it cost like 500 dollars the get one right now in my country, so no.
>>
>>385322270
i'd give my left nut in order to experience BOTW blind again
>>
File: 1491950409121-1.png (341KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
1491950409121-1.png
341KB, 500x467px
>>385334874
tfw you will never play BotW again for the first time.
>>
>>385322270
Yes BOTW is a fantastic game, if you're interested in it then its worth picking up a switch for
>>
File: IMG_5741.jpg (571KB, 990x990px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5741.jpg
571KB, 990x990px
>>385322270
Anon, I bought one less than a week ago, with splatoon2.
It's so much fun, I cant believe it.
Both my gf and my brother (my gf owns a psp she plays quite often and my brother who doesnt like videogames) want to by one for themselves which surprised me.
Im probably getting another one for my gf as soon as I can find it.

So many games are going to come out for this. Dont miss out.
>>
>>385335628
Thanks doc
>>
>>385324836
Wrong
>>385328710
Right
>>
>>385337009
Kiddies who don't understand game design don't like it. What a surprise.
>>
>>385322270

Long story short, do you like to explore? Have you played skyrim? do you like the crafting and exploring the wilderness part? If so you will like the hell out of this one. If you go point A to point B and mostly ignore the side stuff aside from min maxing, Then its probably not the game for you.

As a cheapskate who mostly pirates games, I paid full price for breath of the wild and have not in the least bit regretted it.

I bought the switch and played the hell out of breath of the wild for about a month. Then I sold it because most of the other games seemed a bit over priced and the lack of any real online functionality (outside of games and convoluted ways to use facebook) rather annoyed me.

Instead of several large dungeons, there are a great many small to mid sized shrines. The four Great beast are mid sized dungeons.

I have played the fuck out of the game and found it rather satisfying, something like 200 hours.

Mostly you wander around and find stuff, lots of emphasis on exploration.

Things can be very grindy, if you try to grind. I haven't and found thing fit fairly organically. Just dont focus on only doing one thing. I didn't even look for the seeds and I found 40.

You can make potions and shit, but I barely bothered. They are helpful but not essential(aside from going through two areas).

The game is more focused on the the world then the quest.
>>
>>385324864
This guy knows his shit, OP.
It's fun for 60-100 hours, inversely linear to your IQ, but there's no reason to keep playing after you've done everything once.

My switch has sat idle for the past 2 months and will really only be used for Xenoblade 2, fire emblem 2018, and pokemon 2019. If that's worth it to you, get it. If not, I'd say pass like most people did with the Wii U and have no ragrets.
>>
>>385335403
I feel you anon.
>>
https://youtu.be/8a2k-zbj0hY

Haven't played this game since it was launched half a decade ago. It's surprisingly very fun on the switch.

Pic unrelated, but I'd love to play it on the switch as well.
>>
>>385337627
>there's no reason to keep playing after you've done everything once.
That's why there's so many korok seeds. Also Master mode etc.
>>
>>385322270
no fag

buy it in October when Mario comes out
>>
>>385337627
>there's no reason to keep playing once you've beaten the game.

Really makes you think.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.