[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Struggling getting into Morrowind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19

File: maxresdefault.jpg (219KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
219KB, 1280x720px
I've been struggling getting into Morrowind and need tips,,
Back in '12 I played my very first TES and RPG which was Skyrim (I grew up with COD games, pelt me with rocks now). After I played the hell out of Skyrim, I fell DEEPLY in love with RPGs
I beat all the Dark Souls, Fallouts, Baldur's Gates, etc
I attempted to play Oblivion but was already too spoiled by modern day Bethesda combat that I couldn't do it.
I had a few extra bucks after a paycheck and decided to screw it, and snag Morrowind: GOTY. I have seen so many posts abot how immersive, well written and overall outstanding the gameplay is.
I downloaded a Graphics Overhaul and begun playing but I am having many person issues..
I try my damn hardest to cope and understand the technology during the time like I do with other older RPGs but I cant even pretend to like the Combat System. I don't need an easy system like Skyrim, I just need something more... clear.
I often times get headaches and rage issues through trying to figure out where the hell I am and where the hell to go. The lack of travel and the entire "ask for directions" thing kills me.
Finally, the leveling system. I have been nothing but confused about leveling, as most RPGs that I love, old and new, have an XP based system. Morrowind is the exception with the use of upgrading skills and attributes rather.
Am I being whiny and complainy or have other people faced this issue? Many people love the game for the nostalgic vibe, note that I do not feel this in any so case. The only reason I am playing it is due to its insanely high classical praise similar to Dark Souls (no joke intended). Has anyone else played Morrowind at a later date and felt the same? How did you overcome it, if not, what made you stop?
I want to enjoy this game, and I want to experience the "true TES experience" but I can't choke down food I do not
>>
>>385304283
You should install Madd Leveler to make things easier for yourself.
Also the hit miss thing is pretty simple if you use the Major Skill weapon class you choose and fight while not being empty on stamina.
Asking for directions helps the immersion if you can get used to it. There's a graphic on fast traveling routes and you can check directions in your journal.
>>
File: 1396372493454.jpg (19KB, 253x296px) Image search: [Google]
1396372493454.jpg
19KB, 253x296px
>>385304283
I find it difficult to believe that you managed to put up with the combat in an RPG like Fallout if you cant even handle Morrowinds dicerolls.
>I don't need an easy system like Skyrim, I just need something more... clear.
how clear exactly. whats exactly is it about the combat system you don't understand? its literally just
>swing weapon
>listen for sound.
>repeat until dead
>>
>>385304283
>I often times get headaches and rage issues through trying to figure out where the hell I am and where the hell to go
Most of the time it should be clear, but I can assure you that even back then I could get lost. Sometimes the descriptions can be vague and you really have to search entire areas for it. Sometimes I thought the game, or rather the npcs, lied to me. If you are really lost check the maps on the uesp morrowind wiki. I found going around and exploring on your own was one of the most enjoyable parts of this game.

What's so confusing about the leveling? It's actually quite simple.
>>
>>385304283
You are having are hard time because modern RPG have condition you to have your hand holded on every quest, and linear level's give you a false sense of accomplishment also they are easy peasy son.

You power thru it soon you will see why the game is held in high praise, is not about the combat we all remeber it beign terrible, we called it the walking simulator but you need to get passed those things then you will see the value of those gamed.
>>
>>385305494
Sorry for typos i was doing it between a match
>>
>>385304283
Everyone and their moms complained about the leveling system and the combat, only the worst shameless fanboys would defend them Fix them with some mods, I wish I would have done it when I played it. I liked the exploration and "ask for directions", though.
>>
>>385305880
Wow so edgy calling people who weren't whinny babys fanboys. No one is telling him not to mod the game.
>>
>>385306181
> No one is telling him not to mod the game.
Then why you are getting angry and using words like "edgy" and "babys" improperly? I was talking about the idiots who defend that and try to sell those systems as something actually good and untouchable, and you clearly got it. Nothing against the people thought that it was fine but still get where the complaints come from and how legit they are.
This "if it's old it must be gold" meme trash is pure cancer.
>>
>>385307358
Yeah thanks for proving my point, you also failed to recognize your own speech pattern. You only saw what you wanted to see, so you could justify opinions but anyone can see how ridiculous you look.
>>
File: 1311671722308.png (159KB, 314x341px) Image search: [Google]
1311671722308.png
159KB, 314x341px
>>385308147
All I see is you sperging out for no reason again, this time with a completely empty and nonsensical raving, there is nothing that resembles a argument there. Thanks for confirming how shameless and autistic you fanboys are.
Inb4 he tries to save face again.
>>
>>385308616
Same to you friends, I think you fail to realize that your doing the same thing. The Reflection in the mirror is showing you the truth but you keep lying to yourself.
>>
>you will die of old age before OpenMW reaches 1.0

feels awful, man
>>
>>385308906
>I-i-i's can't deny that I'm sperging out, but you are doing the same, I swear!
I like this new version of the new version of NO U, but it's not enough to save your face, sorry. I wrote something clear argument related to how the those systems have even received because OP explicitly displayed his concern, you got beyond triggered for no reason and started sperging out like a little babbling autistic child. That's all. But keep pestering me if it can make you feel better, or maybe, you know, you could try to learn how to restrain your autism.
>>
>>385309474
Dam you still don't see it do you, I can't hold your hand on everything this platform doesn't allows us as people to properly communicate extensively.

You seem like a smart lad but the way that you talk it seem like you spend a lot of time in Reddit/here, and that creates bad habit of speaking in such manner. One that has a set of rules placed for people to follow blindly, the words [cancer, autistic, sperg, triggered, meme] or any other popular lexicons used by the 12-20 year olds, have such high levels of toxicity that are often off putting. If you want to have a real life don't act like them, then you wont see everything and everyone acting with malicious intends.
>>
>>385305494
No, Morrowind is just clunky trash. Its an extremely overrated game. I've tried to play Morrowind 3 times and I can never manage to keep playing for more than 6-7 hours. Its not fun or interesting at all, its just a slog.
>>
>>385304283
Bullshit, you literally cannot deal with Fallout 1 or BG combat system and find weird Morrowind´s one.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>385312378
Thank god, someone agrees with me. This thread is now for discussing the best game ever made.
>>
>>385312378
Yeah i know but i still love it like when you eat tacobell knowing it will give you violent diarrhea but yoy can stop yourself fom eating it.

If you playef it after 2010 that would also explain why just like ff7 that game looks like shit that's why we are all waiting for the remake.
>>
>>385312637
Le shitty big world arpg maymay again? Will this meme die already?

I mean it´s a good game but can´t even compete with Morrowind.
>>
>>385304283
In order to not do ass damage you have to hold down the mouse button and then swing. Weapon damage ranges aren't variance, it's telling you how much you will do just clicking vs. Holding down fully and then releasing.

This is really frustrating for people used to Oblivion or Skyrim where regular clicking is a normal attack and holding down is a Power Attack. In Morrowind regular clicking will deal literally 1 damage when your weapon says it deals "1-30"

tl;dr: power attack every swing or you do 1 damage. Only reason to click is if you have a fast attacking weapon with on-hit elemental damage or an effect that you want to trigger rapidly
>>
>>385304283
>Back in '12 I played my very first TES and RPG which was Skyrim

hahahahahahaha
>>
>>385312906

>gothic 2
>big world
>ARPG

wat?
What are you talking about?
>>
File: 342194.jpg (41KB, 786x524px) Image search: [Google]
342194.jpg
41KB, 786x524px
>>385304283
>beat all the Dark Souls, Fallouts, Baldur's Gates, etc
>but can't figure out fucking Morrowind
I have my doubts anon
>>
>>385304283
>Back in '12 I played my very first RPG
Thanks for putting that shit early so I don't have to read your whole autistic post, please kill yourself.
>>
>>385304283
Install Julian Ashlander Companion.
Just do it fgt!
>>
>>385313101
So it´s a shitty adventure game with a small world then?
>>
>>385313238

Why don't you just play it and find out, newfriend?

Gothic 2 is a great RPG with a medium-sized world which is therefore very detailed and atmospheric, instead of just generic like all that copy & paste skyrim bullshit
>>
File: KDM.jpg (16KB, 435x338px) Image search: [Google]
KDM.jpg
16KB, 435x338px
>>385312378
morrowind is great and you have shit taste
>>
File: 1499352949474.png (2MB, 1180x1441px) Image search: [Google]
1499352949474.png
2MB, 1180x1441px
>>385312906
>>
>>385304283
I also have this problem
I really can't get into Morrowind or Oblivion because I never played them as a kid and they hasn't aged well
I want to play them but it really doesn't work
>>
Morrowind's gameplay just aged like shit
>>
File: wave after wave.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
wave after wave.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
>>385313621
>games can age
>>
>>385313726
>gameplay is outdated and isn't as good as modern gameplay
Mostly because of that
Graphics doens't matter unless you are a faggot
Then the goddamn long reading is killing me
Seriously, I have fucking adhd, how am I supposed to sit and read twenty million lines
>>
>>385313621
>be an autistic millenial
>struggle to play an old game because you're a retard who's only impressed by slick UIs and LIFELIKE grafx
>wow this game has aged like shit!
Sure bud, it's the game's fault
>>
>>385313712
>>385313621
>>385312378

Just shut the fuck up, newfaggots
>>
>>385314076
>>struggle to play an old game because you're a retard who's only impressed by slick UIs and LIFELIKE grafx
I don't care about the UI or the graphics
It's the gameplay and the fact that I can't fucking hit anything
It also takes for fucking ever to get anywhere
>>
>>385313840
>Seriously, I have fucking adhd, how am I supposed to sit and read twenty million lines

just kill yourself you autist
>>
File: morrowind combat.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind combat.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>385314143
Yeah, I'm sure that you just love this wonderful combat, don't you?
>>
>>385314202

>It's the gameplay and the fact that I can't fucking hit anything

Then play the fucking RPG like you want to?
Use the fucking console and give yourself 100% hitchance you fucking retard?

This is the amazing thing about RPGs: You can play them like you WANT to play them. So just do whatever you want, dude?

>being this fucking new to RPGs
>>
>>385314229

>give yourself 100% hitchance through console if you don't like the missing

wow, so hard.
Are you retarded?
>>
I just couldn't get into the gameplay when I did it, the combat is god-awful and everything feels so clunky. The graphics aren't an issue at all for me.

Also what the hell is with the NPCs speaking like a wikipedia article instead of having real dialogue?
>>
>>385313351
Do i really need to replay it? Because it was bland as hell.

>Muhh sleeper slain choosen one faggot
>But Xardas my nigga ppl won´t understand
>THEY WILL BRO BECAUSE WE NEED THE PLOT TO UNFOLD

And then my journey starts as a Dagger wielder fag that cannot even customise it´s own character.

>BUT THE WORLD IS DETAILED

So it´s Morrowind, besides it´s bigger and with tons, and i mean TONS, of items placed in such ways that create a consistent world. Main example that isle firecampt out of Khul with some fruits and shit to survive.
>>
>>385314316

>he likes fully voice-acted dialogue

pleb detected
>>
>>385313621
>>385314202
>Install a mod like GCD to get rid of min/max levelling to make shit easier for you
>pick a major weapon skill that you actually plan on using, like spear
>install a fast run mod, maybe a mod that adds teleportation if you really need it
there, fixed it. There's more than enough shit in the base game to get you around, and if you pick your major skill right and don't have like 3 agility then you should be able to hit shit fine.

The base game is fine, too, if you actually know how to get around. There's fast-travel silt striders at most of the big cities, teleportation spells in the mage's guild to get you to each of their big cities, and also temple/imperial cult teleportation spells to get you to the nearest city when you're stuck out in the wild.
>>
>>385314229
>no fatigue
>no skill in weapon
>get baited every time
>>
>>385314202
I don't even like TES you moron, I just wanna let you know exactly how much of a retard you are. The gameplay is still exactly the same as it ever was, it was considered bad even back then so what the fuck does "aging" have to do with anything? And how the fuck are you unable to play something so new as Oblivion, figuratively the template for all modern games? Exactly how young are you?
>>
>>385313378
Is this supposed to be bait or something? Cause it makes Gothic 2 seems ridiculous and Morrowind great.

Im not sure if that´s what youre looking for...
>>
>>385314349

good job googling the beginning of the game.
Either you play the greatest RPG ever made or you don't, I couldn't care less because I already played it thousands of times.

now stfu and stop replying because I couldn't care less about your gay-ass underage opinion about a game you didn't play.
>>
>>385314385
When did I ever say voice-acted? I never said voice-acted. I said the NPCs talk like a fucking encyclopedia instead of sounding like you're asking a real person about a topic.
>>
File: 1501154886299.png (118KB, 764x718px) Image search: [Google]
1501154886299.png
118KB, 764x718px
>People whose first RPG was skyrim are getting paychecks
>>
>>385314442

>bait

it's a "joke", you fucking newfaggot
>>
File: 1489257015189.gif (503KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1489257015189.gif
503KB, 500x333px
>>385314470

>he likes talking to real people about real topics
>>
>>385305880
What's wrong with the leveling system? Do thing and you get better at doing thing.
>>
>>385314460
>Googling the beginning of the game

Fucking kek the delusion is real. I bet that if i say Milten is a fag in that text you´ll say another shit like "HURR DURR U GOOGLE IT´S NAME YOU NEVER PLAYED MUHHH GORGEOUS RPGEEEEE".

Get over it fag, it´s a normal game.
>>
>>385313840
how can gameplay be outdated?
theyre not updating morrowind any time soon, anon, youre the one who has the problem
>>
>>385314519
>An overdesign ctrc+ctrlv is a joke

Wew lad
>>
>>385314768

>fucking kek

back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>385314857
t. i have no more points and ill summon le leddit maymay.

nu/v/ was a mistake.
>>
>>385314847

yes? The picture is supposed to be a joke. Not "bait" not "trolling" not "le epic".

I know it's hard for you redditors to understand.
>>
>>385314913

No, but the way you type makes it quite obvious you are a newfaggot.

>shitting on gothic 2
newfaggot underage b&

you see? It's pretty easy.
>>
>>385314916
It´s very hard to understand the milenial jokes my friend.

Tips*
>>
>Morroblivion or Skywind will NEVER EVER be finished
>I'll never be able to play the game with updated and serviceable combat systems
>>
File: 1500161428451.jpg (1007KB, 1200x1648px) Image search: [Google]
1500161428451.jpg
1007KB, 1200x1648px
>>385314847
You have literally no argument for your shit game and how it could ever be better than the best game ever made
>>
File: 14088101948335.jpg (21KB, 372x260px) Image search: [Google]
14088101948335.jpg
21KB, 372x260px
>>385304283
>I attempted to play Oblivion but was already too spoiled by modern day Bethesda combat that I couldn't do it.
dont skyrim and oblivion both have the EXACT SAME dogshit foam-bat combat?
>>
>>385315097

>dont skyrim and oblivion both have the EXACT SAME dogshit foam-bat combat?

yes
>>
File: 1498212541959.jpg (134KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498212541959.jpg
134KB, 400x400px
>>385315003
>Better story
>Better combat
>Better begining
>Guilds
>Factions
>Moddable as hell
>Almost endless builds
>Housing
>Epic fucking world

Sure thing.mp3
>>
>>385315172

>guilds in skyrim / oblivion

hahahahahahahaha
why even bring them up, nigger?
>>
>>385315097
Pretty much, Skyrim has """better""" animations and sounds, but you can do shit like attack in mid-air in Oblivion, plus stats actually matter somewhat in oblivion. Oblivion's animations feel floaty AF, though.
>>
>>385315249
Nigger we are talking about motherfucking Morrowind.

See that fucking img, who can be even considered from Oblivion or Skyrim. Holy shit summer is fucking killing me.
>>
>>385315326

Oh, well.
Gothic 2 shits all over Morrowind though
>>
>>385315391
see >>385315172
>>
>>385304283
>I beat all the Dark Souls, Fallouts, Baldur's Gates, etc
>I beat all the Fallouts
>Fallouts
And this is where your sob story falls apart. I have played close to 100% of all the great PC RPG classics, 90% of them after 2010's because i spent the entirety of my youth playing console games, runescape and WoW.

Fallout 1 & 2 have been by far the hardest games for me to get into. It took me like 4-5 attempts over few years and close to 20 hours of FO2 to actually get over the pointless shittiness of the stupid reloadspam & savescum combat that has no business in being in a non-squad-based CRPG.

Fallouts have been by far the hardest games for me to get into, by a long shot... second place is maybe gothic 1 & 2 because the camera controls feel very offputting and annoying before you get used to them. There is nothing wrong with morrowinds combat system... it can feel bare bones and boring but that hardly matters when combat isnt the focus of the game, i'd take boring and simple combat any day over clunky as fuck RNG hell that requires several reloads every fight unless you are playing optimal build and have perfect knowledge of the game.
>>
>>385304283
>After I played the hell out of Skyrim, I fell DEEPLY in love with RPGs

I feel you senpai. I got that game for Christmas when I was 13 and it changed my life.
>>
>>385315562
>Fallout 1 & 2 have been by far the hardest games for me to get into
I didn't think Fallout 1 was that hard to get into, I found it pretty easy without any guides or anything. It was way too short, though.

Fallout 2 is a different story
>>
>>385315895
My problem was starting with 2, i had to force myself to play for a long time and only started enjoying the game after vault city.
>>
File: Cliff_Racer_(Morrowind).png (2MB, 1634x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Cliff_Racer_(Morrowind).png
2MB, 1634x1048px
>walk around
>one of these niggers appears
What do?
>>
can't morrowindbros and gothicbros get along? I love both games but I think gothic 2 better
>>
File: 1450958229460.jpg (139KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1450958229460.jpg
139KB, 1024x768px
>>385304283
Seeing as all of the Morrowind pansies seem to have stopped crying, I declare this another victory for the best game ever made and the Fuhrer Kai Rosenkranz
>>
>>385304283
Morrowind was literally my first TES game and I was like what, 12 when I played it?

Git gud.
>>
>>385316525
Give it bout' tree fiddy
>>
>>385316525
Try to kill him with an op dagger having 20 skill on it.
Die.
Go back to /v/ saying the game is shit and Gothic 2 is better.
>>
>>385316610
Hey cucky little wank stain. how bout dat dumb der arpg inferior mechanic ey
>>
>>385316508
I got burnt out trying to get past the start of 2 the last few times. I'll probably just use a guide and push through to the rest of the game once I have time to get back into it

>>385316525
>cast fireball a few times
>rid the sky of cliff racers
>if any survive, stab with spear
gg ez
>>
File: 1480356964195.png (723KB, 612x599px) Image search: [Google]
1480356964195.png
723KB, 612x599px
>>385316610
dragon hunter armors make you look like a dork
>>
>>385304283
Make sure you have stamina when you're hitting people.
>>
>>385304283
The leveling system is built so that you gain skill in the skills that you use, and there is no cap on any of them. You can literally become a godlike master of everything.
How is this difficult to grasp?
>>
>>385318785

Don't skills and stats cap at 100 by default though?
>>
>>385319349
Yes I misspoke. There is a cap of 100 on each skill, but no limit to how many skill points you can have.
>>
I'd play it if it didn't look like garbage
>>
>>385304283
>go to sewers
>attack a rat with short clicks until you are max skilled in every weapon

>enchant a piece of armor to give you more enchanting skill
>use your buffed enchant skill to enchant another piece of armor with more enchant skill
>repeat until you have op armor within 1 hour of playing

>>385314202
>It also takes for fucking ever to get anywhere

The game gives you boots of blinding speed about 10 minutes in. Enchant a piece of armor with vision and you have turbo mode with no consequences.

Holy shit I didn't realize this game was such a casual filter
>>
File: MW-Map-Vvardenfell.jpg (2MB, 2668x3095px) Image search: [Google]
MW-Map-Vvardenfell.jpg
2MB, 2668x3095px
>>385304283
I played it after Oblivion but before Skyrim. Honestly it's not all that hard to get into. Just abandon any ideas you had of playing a mage from the start and be a boring sword & board warrior until later on. Take the warrior birthsign. Buy a gradual restore fatigue spell so that you can sprint everywhere without losing stamina ruining your hit chance. Navigation is hard at first but once you've visited every major town once and figured out the routes between them, you can get almost anywhere reasonably quick. Efficient leveling isn't important like in Oblivion, and you can buy infinite training sessions per level, so once you have some cash you can just buy +5/+5/+5 level ups.
>>
File: 1483162088362.jpg (36KB, 291x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483162088362.jpg
36KB, 291x400px
>Corprus is built up as this horrific, debilitating, incurable disease
>Once you contract it you end up getting cured and made completely immune to further infection about 10 minutes later if you follow the main storyline quest
>>
>>385321248
>Not being a wizard fag from strat.

Why are you guys so boring?
>>
>>385304283
Just accept the fact that elder scrolls sucks and move on
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.